Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 25 another company 4.6 (Read 21877 times)
Panny

FSX is a pain in the ass.

another company 4.6
Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,
I do not have the CS 757 from CS directly, but from another company, do you know whether I could have the 4.6 download?

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, i7 3930k 4.4Ghz, Corsair H100i, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, 2 X GTX 670, OCZ 500GB SSD, Corsair 650D case

IP Logged

Raul

Re: another company 4.6
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Hi, here we have some big problem with this, y have sent a support mail to "Just Flight" and here is the "Just flight" answer...

Unfortunately Captain Sim have stated that they will not be supplying these updates to us. Obviously we are very disappointed about this decision, but regrettably it's out of our hands.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Martyn Northall

Just Flight & Just Trains

Y have the Box version too so what should whe do???

Y have the C-130 Box too and y have had to purchase to Captain again the same product to get the SP1.3 and this is not my idea of Justice. Y would like a "Captain Sim" feedback after this reply.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Geez, not the best answer there is. Why would CS do that (or don't do, to be precise)?
I'd love to read something official from CS on this although I'm not a another company customer.
Thanks for posting, Raul.

I've read that the another company box customers get access to the update database by the way. It may all depend on a valid order number in my eyes. If your box vendor delivered one, you could log in.
But, from reading, I think the another company order number is not a valid one in the eyes of the CS page. So maybe the sentence 'Unfortunately Captain Sim have stated that they will not be supplying these updates to us.' receives at least two meanings.  Huh

Can you expand that conversation with the another company guys to maybe trigger that vital order number thingy?
To be clear, CS may not have to deliver updates to another company, they only have to give them access to the CS systems, where the download customers access their stuff.
This may not help all people, but at least the ones having access to the Net.

I really think the two vendors, CS directly and another company, have to talk more closely though. That's my personal impression and I truly understand you guys, sitting on that box and not receiving updates.
As said, some Avsim posting spoke of another company box customers actually receiving updates, so there may already be a solution available. I couldn't verify that one though as I'm no CS box owner.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Maybe Captain Sim and Just Flight had a falling out with each other. And if they did, I doubt that Martyn would elaborate on the reasons because it is easier to brush it off by saying that Captain Sim won't give it to them.
My main query has always been the reason why most resellers sell the download version, while Just Flight feel they need to package it differently and sell it as a boxed release only. Why couldn't they do it like the others have? It would have been easier for the customers in the end.
And why do they leave out a lot of liveries that Captain Sim releases with the download version of their product. I mean it's not like they don't have enough room on the CD or DVD, is it? I know they put a lot of video advertisements on them (well they did on the Just Flight 737 PIC that I wish I hadn't bought from them), but do they really need to remove liveries to make way for their own advertising?

You have my sympathies guys. I guess Just Flight could stop selling it IF there is similar problems with the boxed version as many others have had back then with the download versions. It would make sense to me.

I guess I was lucky that the reseller I bought my Captain Sim 757-200/200F/300 from, sold the download versions, or I could have been in a similar position.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I own the box and CS version of the 757 and if i was to guess.. its down to the contracts at the end of the day. For me the JF757 boxed is a very stable aircraft and i never had issues other than learning how to use the FMC and do me flight plans and the boxed version is a top addon to have. I brought direct from captain sim to make sure i have the latest version quicker and to show my support to the developer by buying it direct.

The pricing between the box version and the cs versions it quite a bit different with the boxed being the cheaper.

&&

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Our 757 agreement with another company is over. Therefore we do/will not provide any further updates on the boxed version of the 757. Unfortunately there are no special discounts or free downloads for the boxed 757 customers. More info: http://www.captainsim.com/support/boxed.html

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Thanks for the official words, Tanya.

I'm still sorry for the another company box customers though, but I wouldn't know who's to blame in that game. If other box vendors can deliver CS updates to their customers, maybe this shows something. But I'm just assuming things and I don't know which things lead to that status of course.

IP Logged

Raul

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
CoolP, Mark, thanks, the problem y see is that y will purchase 2 times the same product, first to "Just Flight" and now to "Captain Sim", y thought this kind of things only happened on my country "Argentina", but y had never thought that it would be the same on "First World", y mean if "Captain" has recieved money when y have bought 757 box to "J F", (y think so with common sense) y think it is not properly that they return to do it for the same software. Please it is only my opinion and may be y don't know anything between another company and Captain comercial relation information but y do not think Captain is the another company's Santa Claus.
Y am a dentist surgeon and if y brake relations with some company of health during an "Oral rehabilitation", my patients do not have the fault and they are the most important thing y consider, I had liked that "Captain" was doing the same thing with me like a customer y am.
Regards,
Raul Aubele.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I can understand your complains, Raul. Whatever those two companies had running, it is over. As said, it looks like other CS box vendors like another company don't suffer from this problem. At least that's what I've read at Avsim.
Once again, I fully agree that this is a very unfortunate situation for the another company box owners. I just couldn't tell who's to blame in this CS + another company case.  Undecided

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
well end of contract is end of contract, no one to blame really as that's just the way it goes when the contract was stamped out and started.

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Ending up being caught between two stools is the situation for actual customers and they will live 'caveat emptor' from now on, that's for sure.
I personally think that neither CS nor another company gained something positive from their viewpoint. Does that help business? Open question.

If another company would spoil their box customers and blames CS for example, why not set up a small and reasonable offer for another company box owners to become CS download customers, even outside of the sales actions? Be creative!
If you handle them nicely and fair, they will always stay CS customers and avoid another company. Business continued!

They won't act like this when no company supports them.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 7:20am:
If you handle them nicely and fair, they will always stay CS customers and avoid another company. Business continued!
I just think that we need to be careful of which products we buy from another company. If they are resellers for a product, it could be better buying from another store or the developers store. There is nothing wrong with buying their in-house developer products.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I cant really agree with that as another company have one of the best rewards points systems out there and although they cant offer the same support for some products as the developer can they do try their best to fix issues or help get them fixed. Well for me they have done that Smiley

I did get massive discount when i brought the boxed version of the 757 ages ago Smiley

Product support is what you make of it, some people have very good experiences and other people dont.

Ive only had one CS related support issue and the response from captain sim was top and super fast even though i posted the support issue late in the evening ( most people are home eating dinner or something by the time i posted it ).

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Product support is what you make of it, some people have very good experiences and other people dont.

Sorry, too much euphemism for me.  Huh

Guys, lets stay on topic. The CS 757 bought in a box at another company, nothing more, nothing less. People who've paid for it are now stuck at 4.4.
Both companies involved made their statements and now it's up to the reader's mind to judge them.

IP Logged

windycityflyer

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 6:15pm:
[quote]...People who've paid for it are now stuck at 4.4.
Both companies involved made their statements and now it's up to the reader's mind to judge them.

Last I checked, the 757 Captain (4.4. Boxed) continues to be sold on another company. So, un-suspecting (new) customers will also continue to be stuck at 4.4.

What does "end-of-contract" between CS and another company really mean? It does seem to allow collecting (and probably sharing) further revenue from new another company customers on a mostly un-usable product when a greatly improved (free) upgrade is also available.

Doesn't sound very fair from the perspective of the simmers...

IP Logged

wims

Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Its very unfortunate for the people who have "bought the cat in the sack" as we say here in Norway. Have any of the another company customers tried to contact another company about this issue? What do they have to say about it? another company is the legal entity you have a contract with and technically those are the people you should bugger about it. Perhaps they will be more forthcoming when it comes to stating the reason for them not being able to provide a patch for the (arguably broken) product they sell

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
The second post in this thread gives a response from another company. Raul has posted it.

IP Logged

in2secs

Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Our 757 agreement with another company is over. Therefore we do/will not provide any further updates on the boxed version of the 757.

That is not the best possible answer.

I understand this but what has this to do with me as a customer? Legally it does not really matter where I bought the product, it still is yours and you still cached in your royalties. The box states (C) Captain Sim 2008. Just imagine Mercedes or Toyata giving a statement like that because they cancelled one of their vendors agreements.

I am a software development manager - my work is judged by how efficiently I deliver solutions to our customers, not by how smart my excuses are for failing to do so.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Legally it does not really matter where I bought the product.

Yes it does. It's the 'CS 757 box sold by another company', so e. g. refunds and things like a guarantee can only be processed by another company.

While I personally don't know why the update channel was separated for download and (another company) box customers and, like you, raise an eyebrow on the image damage it causes, the legal side is defined in the contract between another company and CS alone. We don't know that contract, but it's no new 2011 thing to define different service and update channels in regard to e. g. software products or versions of them.
I don't applaud to such policies, but, legally, they aren't a problem.
The product's name does not act as a valid indicator of any legal background.

From your car example, I think you generalise some aspects there, which can't be summed up easily. Even a car manufacturer can refuse certain services when you've bought the car in another country (maybe with far higher taxes, so the car's price itself was much lower) and want to operate it with full legal coverage in the other one.
Product liability will be in place all over the planet, but certain update, guarantee and service aspects may indeed be limited, even if your car has the same name as the one from your neighbour.

So as much as I don't like to see the another company box owners being stuck with 4.4, the legal side of all that is very fixed and valid in my eyes. It would be nice to see another company and/or CS taking a step towards those people of course.

IP Logged

Vaegat

Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

I have to agree on the legal position - for the boxed product, the contract you have is not with Captain Sim (in fact I don't think the publisher Just Flight has a legal obligation to you either); you do have a contract with the retailer.

Having said that, in the last 30 years of computer use, I don't think I've ever come across a situation quite like this and I'm very disappointed in both Just Flight and Captain Sim.  I've just returned to Flight Sim after many years where I've simply been too busy with work and family.  I decided to get some add-ons this time (in the past I've only used the default and freeware aircraft), and I tend to like a boxed product (and manual); maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I've never bought a piece of software either games or productivity where the updates (if any) are not freely offered (except for a clear change in version whereby the product is marketed as version 2.0, 3.0).  This doesn't even parallel corporate software purchasing (where you invariably do pay for an ongoing support contract) - in such a case, where the original vendor/publisher is unable to support the product any longer, the developer would ordinarily be thrilled to continue support (for a fee), but that isn't even possible here (without buying the same thing a second time).

Based on this experience, I didn't think to check whether a boxed product would be supported or not (I bought from Amazon, so I didn't see the statement on the Just Flight site saying that they only went up to version 4.4 until I went looking for updates), nor had I read Captain Sim's reasons for not supporting boxed products until after the purchase.  I know many will say here that I should have checked - I would have had there been any indication that there were different products.

So now I have bought two Captain Sim products and feel let down by both companies another company & CS (I got 757 and 727 Captain).  Obviously I know now that the only way to buy Captain Sim stuff is direct, but with the bad taste this has left in my mouth, I'm not sure I would be willing to buy either company's products in the future.

Sorry for the rant, will stop now and rant no more! Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #20 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I didn't read your stuff as ranting. In fact
Quote:
So now I have bought two Captain Sim products and feel let down by both companies another company & CS

sounds very reasonable to me.

And this
Quote:
but with the bad taste this has left in my mouth, I'm not sure I would be willing to buy either company's products in the future.

should actually be the wake up call for everybody trying to attract people and making them customers. Well, maybe the sales around Christmas help a bit though.

IP Logged

joc

Reply #21 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Hi,

feel abandoned again.
1st there was fs9 update 2.2 only download (another company was told fs9 was not supported anymore). So i switched over to fsx. Now i read that fsx boxed version is also not supported by any updates Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
What about the other CS products sold by another company?
Twice is enough.
Goodbye CS!!!!!

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #22 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Sorry guy,YOU bought the product from another company, NOT CS,so the consequencies are that CS is not responsible.This may be a tough pill to swallow,but I have to say that CS supports their own customers very well,probably bettter than most other developers out there.So,you may have your reasons for wanting a boxed product,but CS only markets THEIR  product on a download basis.That's just the way it is Cheesy
Ron

IP Logged

windycityflyer

Reply #23 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Feel sorry for these paying customers...caught in the middle...it appears both another company and CS have proved themeselves to be rather "myopic" in their mutual contract negotiations w/o much concern for the long-term goodwill of their paying customers whose only mistake (by no means they should be faulted for this) was to buy the Boxed edition from a CS authorized (and supposedly reputable) retailer...

It's to be also noted that CS has needed two additional (free) upgrades to improve the 4.4 version to a generally acceptable and flyable state...

IP Logged

joc

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
@rservice

CS have given another company permission to sell their product in a boxed version. (copyrighted 2008 CS as stated on the box). CS collects money for every sold boxed version too. so they are indirectly responsible.
If they aren't feelin' responsible they wouldn't have given any update to another company.
So for now, after having no more contract with another company, your statement "but CS...basis" will be true

IP Logged

tf51d

Reply #25 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I think the problem is logistical. Unless another company turns over their customer base who bought the 757 with order numbers to CS, which I doubt they have or will do, how can CS verify customer claims? There may be a way to build an interrogator in the update installer, to verify a valid customer, against another company's copyright protection scheme, but that may violate another company's copyrights. The only other way would be manual, the customer would have to send CS a copy of the email receipt from another company, which CS can verify ownership, but that will take resources that CS doesn't have or is not willing to provide. So there are no easy answers here, and the customer is caught in the middle.

IP Logged

NNewcomb

757-200, 767-300, 727-100,
727-200, 727F, 737-200

Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Captain Sim 2 wrote on Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:58pm:
Our 757 agreement with another company is over. Therefore we do/will not provide any further updates on the boxed version of the 757. Unfortunately there are no special discounts or free downloads for the boxed 757 customers. More info: http://www.captainsim.com/support/boxed.html

Does this apply with the 727 also? The 727 is the only boxed CS aircraft I have from another company. There are some issues in the boxed version that greatly limited the ability to use the airplane properly.

—Nick&&&&Dell Inspirion 15R | Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 Ghz (Up to 3.1Ghz) | 6GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz | Intel Graphics HD 3000 | 750GB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium

IP Logged

DrNex

Reply #27 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I have to say that I think this is really quite outrageous. I have never heard of any software developer refusing to update a legally purchased product based on the distribution channel.

Obviously Captain Sim agreed to have Just Flight publish its software some time ago. Whether they had a falling out is irrelevant, as they still have a duty to support the end user /purchaser of their product regardless of the distribution channel. They undoubtedly still receive royalties (or did receive royalties) for the purchase of this product, and to leave the user "hanging" without an update is extremely unprofessional. All this baloney about "supporting the developer" is hogwash - Captain Sim made a knowing and intelligent decision to publish via Just Flight, probably to get its product out to users who would otherwise not have heard of CS, myself included.

I was thinking of buying the 707 and 727 from Captain Sim, but with this kind of "customer service" I will stay far away. Other developers for FSX (without naming names) do not engage in this sort of unprofessional behavior which serves only to punish the end user. If CS has a problem with Just Flight, that is between CS and Just Flight. The end user should not be punished for this dispute, and CS should continue to support its product no matter what the distribution channel. If CS wants to stop publishing any of its future products through Just Flight, that's entirely CS's choice - but leaving the end user hanging is not only legally questionable, it's bad business. It would cost CS nothing to make their users happy (there is no variable cost associated with making the patch available to another company users, since it's not physical media) and instead they will lose business, at least certainly mine.

IP Logged

tf51d

Reply #28 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 2:10am
Print Post  
DrNex wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 9:24pm:
I have to say that I think this is really quite outrageous. I have never heard of any software developer refusing to update a legally purchased product based on the distribution channel.

Obviously Captain Sim agreed to have Just Flight publish its software some time ago. Whether they had a falling out is irrelevant, as they still have a duty to support the end user /purchaser of their product regardless of the distribution channel. They undoubtedly still receive royalties (or did receive royalties) for the purchase of this product, and to leave the user "hanging" without an update is extremely unprofessional. All this baloney about "supporting the developer" is hogwash - Captain Sim made a knowing and intelligent decision to publish via Just Flight, probably to get its product out to users who would otherwise not have heard of CS, myself included.

While I feel for you, the fact is you purchased the 757 from Just Flight, your purchase contract is with them not with CS. It is up to them to provide support via their contract with the developer. If they didn't make provisions in that contract for the developer to continue support to their end customer base after their contract lapsed, that is their problem. What is complicating the matter is they used a different purchasing mechanism then CS which CS does not have access to, so there is no way they can verify another company's customer base to provide the update (Which is actually a full installation.) So unfortunately another company's customers are left in the middle of this.

IP Logged

Justin Friedland

Reply #29 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
To all you jailhouse lawyers out there who are trying to quote contract law to make excuses for Captain Sim, how about we just focus on simple ethical behavior.
I own the boxed version of 757 Captain from Just Flight.  
Captain Sim’s name, copyright, “trademark Aircraft Configuration Editor” brag, and verbiage is all over that product.
You can assume that Captain Sim profited by either getting a piece of every unit sold by Just Flight, or else getting a pretty hefty licensing fee in the original deal that allowed Just Flight to box and sell the product.
For them to walk away from supporting the product just because they apparently couldn’t reach terms on an extension of that agreement in no way should absolve them from continuing to support the product that has their name on it.
And it does need support.  The 757 (my last and final purchase of a Captain Sim product ever) is, like most Captain Sim products, annoyingly flawed.  One only has to read the forums on any CS product (most notably the 727) to see that purchasers are constantly forced to either accept bad behavior by their purchases, or devise workarounds that should have been fixed by the manufacturer, the efforts of CoolP and Markoz notwithstanding.  
I own the 727, the C-130, the 707 and the 757.  Each of them requires more time and effort to fix, update, kludge and repair than to actually fly, which is why I say the 757 is my last CS purchase.  The support just isn’t there… and I'm done buying the hype that THE NEXT plane is really, really ready for the public.
CS has a great publicity machine that makes every new aircraft sound like the Second Coming.  Delivering on those promises is where they fall down.
But the real point here is that hundreds (thousands?) of us have purchased this product on the Captain Sim name, and for them to walk away under a pretense speaks volumes about their corporate ethos, and what you can expect in the future if you continue to deal with them.

IP Logged

Silverbeard

Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I have sat on the sidelines reading all the verbage and I have to say I do agree with much of it. What I do not agree with is the ranting that is intended to denigrate some fine products. I have the another company/CS 757 on disc I have updated it via another company's website I have also tinkered with it on recommendations from this website. I am very happy with the result. It really is a 'pocket rocket' & yes it has some idiosyncracies still, but none that spoil my enjoyment. I count myself lucky that I could not obtain the last update as it seemed to cause more problems than it corrected.
If and when they bring out the 757 v5 I will buy it - direct from CS.

Just fly it, enjoy it, and remember none of the real world aircraft operate perfectly - ever!   Smiley

[img]http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/b757/752_users_banner.gif[img]

IP Logged

wims

Reply #31 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 11:49am
Print Post  
V4.4 is better than v4.6 anyways, so its not like the another company customers are losing any value

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top