Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Anybody Using DX10? (Read 35201 times)
Charlier

Re: Anybody Using DX10?
Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
One question, I have an Intel core2 quad CPU Q6600, with 2.40GHZ processor. I use 8GB of ram memory, with an GT430 graphicscard. And my OS is W7 ultimate 64 bits.

Is it recommend to use DX10?
I don't know much about this kind of stuff.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #31 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I would suggest that you try it and find out. That doesn't mean that you go and buy SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer just yet either! Just try doing as much of the tweaks as you can from the The "How-To" doc to see how it looks on your computer.

If, after doing that, it looks good and your computer performs well, you can then decide whether you think it's worth buy the DX10 Scenery Fixer to make the whole process a bit more simple.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:06am
Print Post  
The place to ask that question is here --- the source! You may have to join, but AVSIM has been the best source for all hardware/software info on MSFS for many years.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/644-the-official-dx10-scenery-fixer-support-forum/

Bruce

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #33 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 4:55am
Print Post  
The trouble with all these tweaks is that they are passed around like magic incantations, and not always understood. (And I mean no criticism of anyone in particular.)

I am very happy with Nvidia Inspector, as I said. I am in the experimentation phase.  I particular, I'm looking at antialiasing. For me, A_MODE_SELECTOR_OVERRIDE is best for the MODE. At least that's what I've been using. I don't think I want the app to control settings, but my graphics cards. Next is the setting. The usual one that is floating around doesn't even appear as an option for me. Perhaps it is already old. I am vaguely aware there is Multisampling and Supersampling, but beyond that I couldn't tell you anything.  I am bouncing back and forth between 16X on each. I have never heard of VCAA, Super VCAA, etc.

The Captain Sim cockpits have logs of nice, straight lines, and I've been judging by looking around them and seeing how much I like them. (Outside of the ships, too.) Wow. It really looks great. Anyway, that's where I'm at now and it's good.

As far as DX10, it seems to me that the flipping back and forth, the DX10 colors are more saturated, there is more contrast, and all-in-all regular FSX looks slightly washed out by comparison. (Very slightly, but enough to pique my interest.) Is this about right, or am I imagining things?

A++++ is a good place to find things out, but I thought I would poll this smaller community first, since I use primarily Captain Sim products.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #34 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Tim -

I think your first take on DX10 is right on. I noticed the same --- much sharper graphics with better color. Even the text in FSX is much sharper. I also perceive a noticeably smoother sim. Well worth the money in my opinion. I bought the full installer, loaded it and set up Nvidia Inspecter and FSX according to the How To doc that Mark mentioned. I have not made any changes in the DX10 Fixer UI.

Btw, I have the CS 752 and have no idea how to fly it. Not a clue about FMS or LNAV/VNAVFLCH etc etc. A search on the AVSIM Library turns up nothing on your tutorial. Was wondering if you could post it here? I'm not all that motivated to learn the complex systems, but I thought I'd at least take a look at your tutorial.

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #35 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
FSX does not seem as bright using DX10. It is taking a bit of getting used to. Add the ShadersHLSL fixes, and the shadows in the VC look awesome. Take a look at Nick Cooper's images of the shadows in the CS 707's VC here: 707 VC shadows in FSX Dx10

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #36 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I did not finish my tutorial. There is a new one out (see the 757 section). What I do have is basic programming and start-up. I will send you a couple of pictures where I numbered and color-coded the startup sequence. I also have some FMC stuff.

In general, you want to break the overhead down into panels and develop a "flow" of actions you'll use every time. It also helps to know the "whys" behind what you're doing. If you know your engines are going to need a POWER source (APU) for AIR to start the turbines spinning and your FUEL pumps on, for example, you'll be able to quickly figure out what you did wrong when your engines don't start (e.g. forgot to turn packs off, so there's not enough AIR). The 757 is really laid out in a logical, relatively simple manner (unlike older airplanes where things seem to have been stuck wherever there was space!). It's more fun to understand, than to just do things by rote. I have two of Captain Mike Ray's books, and I highly recommend them. (The 757-767 one in particular.)

If you check out the UNOFFICIAL support section (grrrrr) at A++++ I recently posted a fairly lengthy overview of route planning that might be useful, too.

P.S. in all the talk about Nvidia Inspector and DX10, it's probably worth mentioning that the former's setup will be completely different for DX10.

I'm THIS close to taking the plunge  Smiley

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #37 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:40pm:
Tim -

Btw, I have the CS 752 and have no idea how to fly it. Not a clue about FMS or LNAV/VNAVFLCH etc etc. A search on the AVSIM Library turns up nothing on your tutorial. Was wondering if you could post it here? I'm not all that motivated to learn the complex systems, but I thought I'd at least take a look at your tutorial.

Bruce

Bruce there's a tutorial flight posted here. PS I haven't tried it so no idea how good it is.
http://www.captainsim.com/products/x757/manuals.html

I've also seen a thread on it somewhere, hopefully I can find it for you.
Here it is. An FMC tutorial that's easy to follow.
http://captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220997876

HTH

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #38 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Cappy!!

I downloaded that tutorial yesterday. I'll get the FMC tutorial also. Thanks! Each winter I resolve to learn this stuff, but somehow or other it just doesn't happen. I have the time, but apparently not the will. Smiley

Bruce

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #39 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Don't forget the manual, either. There's a whole volume on the FMC which is actually pretty good. I think you'll find that once steps "click" it really isn't very hard at all. I can remember trying to figure out the format for the lat / long entry... not knowing I could just copy it to the scratchpad from last position and paste it in! It was the silly little things like that that took awhile.

IP Logged

AndersCN

Reply #40 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I jumped on the DX10 train, bought and installed Steves DX10 Fixer. Initially, I was a bit underwelmed. But then, my DX9 looked pretty good already, and I did not really know what to expect.
But after some hours, I actually like DX10 - VC and 2D panels look a little sharper. Colors in the VC are a bit more pale, but I actually prefer it that way.
I still get approximately same FPS, but somehow it appears smoother, visually less stuttering when lower than 20.

However, in order to eliminate shimmering fences, trees and the lines around the aircraft, I need to raise SGSS in Inspector to 8x, whereas it was fine with 2x in DX9. This really means harsh punishment of the GPU, especially in heavily clouded weather (REX)! Temps of my GPU now is significantly higher than before. But going down to 4xSGSS in DX10 looks awful in my eyes.. Is this also your experience with DX10 and GPU load? I followed the Avsim guide as well as Steves guide in the program. Deleted the old cfg, and let FSX build a fresh one, and started from there.

In my coming Haswell build, I seriously now consider a GTX Titan or at least the 780ti to deal with a 2560x1600 monitor and DX10.. More than I originally budgeted to spend Shocked

Best regards,
Anders

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE @ 3,9GHz&&Noctua NH-D14&&EVGA GTX 570&&4 GB GSkill 1600/7-8-7-24&&Asrock 990FX Extreme4&&850W XFX bronze&&CM HAF 912&&120 GB OCZ SSD, 250 GB Velociraptor, 1 TB WD Black&&Dell 24 inch 1920x1200&&Thrustmaster T1600M&&Windows 7/64 HP&&REX E Plus OD, FSG2010, FTXGlobal/Vector/O

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #41 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Bruce,

If you have a question about the FMS, I still have my 757 books and will try to fill in blanks.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #42 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Hi Lou!!

I bought Capt. Mike Ray's 757 book about 4 months ago. I got to the tutorial short flight where you configure the CDU(I think) and at that point he says, "this is where most people drop out", or something like that. Well, he was right. Haven't looked at it since. At that point I decided it was really a good idea to have FSX running and the 757 cdu in front of me on the screen, but I just have never done it. His book is based on the other developer's complex 757 and I didn't know if his instructions would work as intended with the CS 757, which I already have. I suppose I could try it and see. My biggest road block is I am not motivated enough to learn everything required in addition to the cdu. I'm content with the default navigation which works perfectly and is simple. It's like driving a car with an auto transmission for years and then having someone tell you that you should buy a car with a stick shift and learn how to drive it! What for??

I also have to admit I must be loosing some interest in fs as I have not really been doing a lot of flying in the last few months. I check the forums a couple times a day, but actual flying is fairly infrequent, and finishing a complete flight is even more rare it seems!

Anyway, thanks muchly for the offer! If I ever get going on it I'm sure I'll have questions.

Bruce

EDIT! It was Ray's 737-800 book that I bought --- not 757! And I don't own a complex 737-800! Good grief, I'm loosing it!

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #43 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Hey Anders --- I have a GTX580 which seems to handle the DX10 fixer quite well at 8xsgss. I haven't checked the gpu temps since I went to it, but I do turn the gpu fan up to 75% every time I fire up FSX. I have not seen any spikes or weird graphics artifacts which is what usually happens when the gpu is overheated. Also, I have no car traffic, and my UT2 traffic is at 45% and airport traffic at minimum. No other traffic or airplane labels. Autogen is at dense.

Your Haswell build with a Titan or even a base 780 will certainly take care of any graphics concerns.

I would never go back to DX9, even though I had it looking quite decent, like yourself. The DX10 fixer, as you mentioned, provides more crisp clear graphics with better color and smoother game play for sure.

Good luck on the new build!

Bruce

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #44 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Why would you consider a Titan?

It is EOL, carries a huge pricetag and is well beaten by cheaper cards.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top