Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 Anybody Using DX10? (Read 35075 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Anybody Using DX10?
Dec 16th, 2013 at 4:53am
Print Post  
Didn't find much through search (I have my doubts about forum searches these days...) I checked it out just for fun, 757 at KSEA, maxed out sliders. I imagined it seemed crisper, sharper. Other than that... is it worth the trouble? Is it any trouble? Is it entirely visual, and what should I expect using DX10? Is it going to break anything? Is it going to be incompatible with anything?

I would not want to start a long flight and have something messed up downrange on account of me monkeying around with something I didn't understand.

I use CS products, and maybe three or four other jets CS doesn't make. Don't do any bush flying or GA stuff.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Re: Anybody Using DX10?
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Hi Tim, there are extensive discussions on the AV*** forums about DX 10 and DX 10 fixer which I believe is a payware program . I have'nt looked into it since my credit card is maxed out with Christmas purchases.
Maybe it helps those with super duper rigs who demand perfection and spend more time tweaking than flying , but for me it seemed to cause more problems than solutions in the past
Ron Sad

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Hello Tim and Ron,
I am using DX10 exclusively. I used the patches from Steve's page with a lot of playing around and swapping between DX9 and DX10. Since the DX10fixer is out I stick to DX10. IMO it is a huge progress ! Of course it takes some time to configure your FSX but it's worth the effort. It is essential to follow Steve's notes concerning the Video inspector. In my case I'm using the NVidia inspector. Installing the Fixer is easy and configuration is straight forward. A look at the DX10 Avsim site is a must as you can find profiles for your graphics and some great hints. It's all about the time you want to invest.
Of course this is my personal opinion but I definitely recommend the jump to DX10. Couple it with SweetFX (freeware) and you have a new FSX.
I can't judge it compared to P3D2 as I never used latter. FPS ... to be honest I never look at as long as I'm fluid Wink
brgds, Lex

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Hi Lex.

What happens when you load an aircraft that doesn't support DX10, how can Steve's DX10 Fixer help with those?
Mind you, I consider the price a bit steep when seem to be a case of: "it bundles all the DX10 fixes that have been published to the Avsim Library into a combined easy to install package"!? Reading the info on this product at The FlightSim Store, it, doesn't appear to be much more than that. Undecided

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Mark,
I actually don't have a plane not showing correctly in DX10. Happened as far as I remember, with imported planes from FS2002. Parts of the planes will no show due to texture transparency channel - SDK differences. But the fixer adds a possibility to work around. I never used this option however.  
As Stevefsx writes in his "Important Note":
The tool works around flaws that exist in the flight simulator core software. Not every DX10 issue can be fixed.
I am more than happy with what he did and as I wrote above the simulator has a new face and better performance.
I use REX, ORBX global, EZdok ... and it's just great.
take care, Lex

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's the "extensive discussions" part that don't thrill me. If it were a matter of ticking the box, that would be one thing, but I have precious little time to fly as it is, and am actually pretty pleased with FSX, which, as I type, I am running with every single thing maxed out for the first time and getting a smooth flight with nice weather and some traffic. I take it that it is some sort of visual enhancement. I may fool around with it, but I don't even use a third-party video program. I just let FSX handle AA and it looks great. "Perfect is the enemy of good enough" is a good thing to remember sometimes. Is there a real world example of what I'm missing?

AS FOR THE DX10 FIXER... I don't really have a problem with bundling a bunch of you own free fixes and mods if they really make a complicated job easy. I am not all that computer proficient, which is one of the reasons I am hesitant about DX10. But as a proud member of the forum referenced in the post above, I know that the denizens are sometimes seized by enthusiasms  Wink At one time you were nobody unless you had the latest shader "fix," and heaven forbid you actually fail to use a third-party buffer between FSX and NVIDIA. Oh, and speaking of buffers, buffer pools were in, then they were out. They seem to work for me. In fact everything seems to work for me at the moment. I can just see myself having a wire frame 757 at 3 FPS because I've screwed up something trying to make DX10 work when I can't even explain what I hope to accomplish!  Grin Now I got max water, bloom, traffic, UHDT, heavy weather... all the things that are supposed to bring a system to its knees. But I'm cruising along right now at 50 FPS. Of course I've had cars I've spent less for than this laptop, but hey, money I got... it's time that's scarce.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Yep I'm with you. I can't see the point in all this 'tweaking' mine just works. It's a bit like using autoland in a sim.

As for that forum... It's why I visit here, so it does some good.  Lips Sealed

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

toelg

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Dec 17th, 2013 at 12:41am:
Mind you, I consider the price a bit steep when seem to be a case of: "it bundles all the DX10 fixes that have been published to the Avsim Library into a combined easy to install package"!? Reading the info on this product at The FlightSim Store, it, doesn't appear to be much more than that. Undecided

Hi Mark,

are they still available at AVSIM ? I've found only one file as DX10 fix.

Regards
Dietmar

IP Logged

AndersCN

Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Probably when I retire and have plenty of time, I will give DX10 a try. Now my rig works fine, and that with only 4 simple tweaks according to Nick N's advice.
Now I prioritise to learn and fly some aircraft..
BR
Anders

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE @ 3,9GHz&&Noctua NH-D14&&EVGA GTX 570&&4 GB GSkill 1600/7-8-7-24&&Asrock 990FX Extreme4&&850W XFX bronze&&CM HAF 912&&120 GB OCZ SSD, 250 GB Velociraptor, 1 TB WD Black&&Dell 24 inch 1920x1200&&Thrustmaster T1600M&&Windows 7/64 HP&&REX E Plus OD, FSG2010, FTXGlobal/Vector/O

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:49am
Print Post  
toelg wrote on Dec 29th, 2013 at 1:34pm:
Markoz wrote on Dec 17th, 2013 at 12:41am:

Hi Mark,

are they still available at AVSIM ? I've found only one file as DX10 fix.

Regards
Dietmar

I guess so. I've never tried any of them myself. FSX is fine for me with DX9, so I have only ever tried DX10 a few times, but found that some of my addons were not compatible, so stopped using it pretty quickly.

Take a look here: DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help
I'm guessing they are available from within that Avsim Forum topic. Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 5:19am
Print Post  
The Avsim links don't work unless you login now?

It gets worse by the day...

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Cappy wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 5:19am:
The Avsim links don't work unless you login now?

It gets worse by the day...

I believe it has been like that for quite a while Cappy. And I must tell you that as a member, I find it bl**dy annoying, that every time I click on a link to Avsim (forum, library, review, or whatever) I get that blasted message to log in before I can see or do anything. Smiley

@AndersCN - I just did all that stuff from the PDF about using DX10. Most of the links in the doc/pdf will give you everything you need to do to use DX10 in FSX. I must admit, it looks pretty good too. All I gotta do now, is find out which of my addons are NOT DX10 compatible!

NOTE: The instructions require you to access the fsx.cfg and make some manual changes. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, the the SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer might be a better way to go about it. The SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer bundles all the fixes found in Avsim forum with it, along with what looks to be tools that do the job for you, without you having to fiddle around and do it all yourself. It's worth thinking about getting if you are not computer savvy.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Nick Cooper

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:57pm:
NOTE: The instructions require you to access the fsx.cfg and make some manual changes. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, the the SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer might be a better way to go about it. The SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer bundles all the fixes found in Avsim forum with it, along with what looks to be tools that do the job for you, without you having to fiddle around and do it all yourself. It's worth thinking about getting if you are not computer savvy.

Not only does it make all the changes for you, it also makes pretty much any addon, whether aircraft or scenery work as it should.
Certainly everything by CS works perfectly.

Regards,
Nick.

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I thought FSX with DX9 worked just fine for me, but I bought and installed DX10Fixer and WOW Iit's like FSX Next! MUch better looking graphics and way smoother. I haven't used any slider adjustments in the UI either --  just the default settings. Money well spent!

I did follow the setup instructions by Paul Johnson for Nvidia Inspector, the FSX internal settings and the FSX config.

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Nick Cooper wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:21pm:
Markoz wrote on Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:57pm:

Not only does it make all the changes for you, it also makes pretty much any addon, whether aircraft or scenery work as it should.
Certainly everything by CS works perfectly.

Regards,
Nick.

Thanks Nick. I could have copied and pasted the info from the SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer product page at The FlightSim Store website, but I felt it wasn't a good idea! Wink

I must admit that FSX does look pretty darn good using DX10, there is an attraction there and I just might buy it.
Besides that, I got some money from my children for Christmas, so I can spend some of it on that, and call it a gift from them. Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top