Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
 25 To New Members Lou and Delta Dog (Read 64382 times)
LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: To New Members Lou and Delta Dog
Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Some questions for you. If you don't mind.
1. Have you have added the electric_always_available=1 to you aircraft.cfg?
2. If you haven't added that line, are you having trouble with loss of avionics power?
3. If you haven't added that line AND you aren't having that problem, could you please guide us through what you do from a Cold-n-Dark cockpit to the knob/button settings for maintaining power?

Markoz,

I have not added anything to the .cfg file and as long as I keep the engines running I have no problem with loss of power.

Let's see if I can remember all the steps to get the old bird fired up from the cold....

1. Cockpit safety check. Hyd pump switches off, gear, gear doors and flaps handles agree - you don't want anything moving until clear.
2. Battery ON - check voltage
3. Fire test APU then start up APU.
    Check volts and freqs of APU and close AGR to connect to aircraft busses. Essential power to APU
    Note: I do not find a master avionics switch on the pilots overhead??? I wonder how the radios are turned on???
4. On F/E panel make sure all bleed valves are open - packs off - to get engine start air. Manifold pressure around 40 psi.
    If you're not starting engines at this time, turn on packs for air temp control in plane.
5. When clear by ground - HYD B pumps on. Make sure brakes are parked or chocked.
6. Load fuel to desired level.
7. Turn off packs to start engines.
8. As each engine is started, F/E checks engine gen volts and freq [ 115 volts & 400 cycles ]
    Select Essential Power to engine one and close MGR to change over power from APU. Do same with each engine.
9. After engine start, turn on A/C packs.

That should get you started... Cheesy

The more I play with the CS-727 the more fun I have! It's pretty good indeed.
If you could have seen the multi-million dollar simulator we had in the 60's you would laugh.
Now, today, the simulators we train in are super, but back then the CS-727 would have been heaven.
I wish I would have kept my old 727 books.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
8. As each engine is started, F/E checks engine gen volts and freq [ 115 volts & 400 cycles ]
   Select Essential Power to engine one and close MGR to change over power from APU. Do same with each engine.
Hi Lou.

Thank you for that.

I was able to follow it all except for the close MGR. I couldn't find it. Can you please tell me where it is?

Quote:
If you could have seen the multi-million dollar simulator we had in the 60's you would laugh.
Now, today, the simulators we train in are super, but back then the CS-727 would have been heaven.
I wish I would have kept my old 727 books.

I can imagine. I joined the Australian Army in 1979 and was in the Royal Australian Corps of Signals. Where I worked, we were using a computer that was built in the early 60's, and it was the size of a house! I reckon that most modern Desktop Computers would blow it away when it comes to computations. It was that big computer that got me into computers in the first place.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
The MGR ( Main Generator Relay ) is located on the F/E panel.

The AGR (Aux Generator Relay) is located on the APU panel.

There is also an Essential Power Selector switch, which powers critical instruments and has multiple ways to get its power.

On the F/E panel each engine driven generator is driven by a CSD (Constant Speed Drive) which allows the generator to spin at 6,600 rpm regardless of engine RPM.

So, looking at each generator on the F/E panel from bottom up, you have the CSD knob to adjust the generator cycles to 400, then you have the GFR (Generator Field Relay) which turns the generator on and off by taking the PMG (Permanent Magnetic Field) voltage and feeding this into a transformer to build up the voltage to 115 volts A.C. With the GFR open you would get just the voltage of the magnet spinning which gives maybe 15 or so volts. But, by feeding this small voltage into a transformer the voltage is increased to the 115 volts.

Next in the stack, you have the MGR (Main Generator Relay) which connects the generator to its respective load bus. Each generator can power its respective load bus. However, one generator can power the whole aircraft through the next relay called the BTR (Bus Tie Relay).

With just one generator powering the plane via the BTR there is no magic, you are just plugging in more load buses to the single generator.
When you tie two or three generators together they must be in sync. Thus the BTR's become a Sync Bus with many possible faults associated with putting multiple electrical sources together.

That's the down and dirty of the 727 A.C. system.

D.C. is made from the A.C. using TR's (Transformer Rectifiers) which take the 115 volt 400 cycle A.C. and turns it into 28 volt D.C. The D.C. is used to run relays to control bigger load A.C. motors and various small load items such as lights, instruments and radios.

Does this help, or is it too much data?

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Lou.

No such thing as too much info for me. Well... Maybe there is.

I'm adding all the information you are providing (and understand) into a text file so I can follow your advice to get the most out of the CS727.

My ILS landings are now much better than ever before. I'm getting a much better understanding of the 727 and how to do things "right" with it. I'm enjoying it even more than before (I was enjoying it so much already and now even more!).

Keep it coming! We are lucky to have you with your wealth of information. I appreciate it very much and I'm sure that others do too. Thank you.

Mark

EDIT: I found no mention of the MGR ( Main Generator Relay ) in the cs727_manual3.pdf (Part III - Operations), and I can not find it on the F/E Panels. It looks like Captain Sim don't simulate this, along with the Avionics Switch.

Are they the ones that the manual refers to GEN BREAKERS? There are 3 of them, one for each engine, on the FE Panel.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #19 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:49am
Print Post  

See if this helps.... Cool

I know you'll have questions about: KVAR, Sync Lights, Residual Voltage.

Ask and I'll try to explain.

Lou

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks Lou. That did the trick. I had found everything else via the manual and searching around the FE Panel/Station.

On page 71 of the 727 Manual Part II - Aircraft and Systems, Captain Sim call them the "Generator Breaker Switches". That was why I couldn't find them. LOL

According to the Manual, what you call the BTR - CS call "Bus Tie Breaker Switches" and the Field Generator Relay - CS call "Generator Field Switches".

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Well, I will probably never get into it this deep. I am, at least up until now, a *Control E* guy. I am not really interested in systems much more detailed than the default ones. I may at some point attempt the cold/dark start, but that's iffy. I'm 72 and don't want to freeze to death at the gate in a cold/dark computer cockpit!

I am satisfied that the auto pilot on the CS 727 works pretty much as it should and I can figure out how to use it, but now my questions are:

1.) Can you use the FSX Flight planner and import the flight plan into the CS 727 and will the CS AP follow the plan? I have never used just the NAV radios or DME or ADF to navigate. I either fly GPS direct using the AP, or just let ATC guide me IFR.

2.) Do you/can you use the FSX fuel and load planner? I saw the CS load planner, but didn't notice a fuel planner.

3. For someone fairly competent with the FSX default systems how difficult is it to learn the CS 727? What's the learning curve here?

The manual shows you every switch, knob and gauge (overwhelming for someone with no formal training) and has all the check lists, but doesn't tell you anything about how to fly the airplane. Nor do I see any Tutorials mentioned anywhere. The CS website/manuals tell you what all the features are, but nothing about how it interfaces with FSX.

I bought the PMDG737NG for FS9 and after 2 days of trying to figure it out using their tutorial & manual (which I thought was lacking probably because of language differences) I gave up. I don't want that to happen again.

Bruce

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Well, I will probably never get into it this deep. I am, at least up until now, a *Control E* guy. I am not really interested in systems much more detailed than the default ones. I may at some point attempt the cold/dark start, but that's iffy. I'm 72 and don't want to freeze to death at the gate in a cold/dark computer cockpit!

Bruce, there is nothing wrong with Ctrl-E and go. This is supposed to be fun!

It would be hard to figure out all the workings of the systems without some help. The 727 is a 3 pilot aircraft with the F/E position working most of the aircraft systems. When the 2 pilot aircraft came along most of the systems became automated. Still, you had to know how the systems worked, but you did not have to fuss with them as much. On the 777 and 787 almost everything is automated even the rudder is automatic in the event of an engine failure.

I am satisfied that the auto pilot on the CS 727 works pretty much as it should and I can figure out how to use it, but now my questions are:

1.) Can you use the FSX Flight planner and import the flight plan into the CS 727 and will the CS AP follow the plan? I have never used just the NAV radios or DME or ADF to navigate. I either fly GPS direct using the AP, or just let ATC guide me IFR.

This function of FSX is something I have never tried. However the 727-100 we flew had no computer to feed the autopilot. All flying was VOR to VOR or radar vectors. It's easy to fly VOR to VOR by using the NAV-LOC or Heading Select function of the autopilot. You can find the VOR frequencies on the map pull-down in FSX and make a manual flight plan to fly anywhere. Later, some of the 727's got GPS installed and you could connect the GPS to the autopilot and fly a route that you input into the GPS.

2.) Do you/can you use the FSX fuel and load planner? I saw the CS load planner, but didn't notice a fuel planner.

I have used the FSX payload pull-down to control the fuel, it works OK.

3. For someone fairly competent with the FSX default systems how difficult is it to learn the CS 727? What's the learning curve here?

The manual shows you every switch, knob and gauge (overwhelming for someone with no formal training) and has all the check lists, but doesn't tell you anything about how to fly the airplane. Nor do I see any Tutorials mentioned anywhere. The CS website/manuals tell you what all the features are, but nothing about how it interfaces with FSX.

The manual to show & explain all the systems would be very big. Remember, this is a game although a very complex game. The tutorial on flying the jets in FSX should get you started, but I am amazed how simmers are into the detail of the systems. For me, that is part of the fun as it must be for them too. If you are a pilot even of light planes, much of what you know can be translated to other aircraft. The complexity of the larger planes means you'll have to learn some new things, but that's part of the fun.

I bought the PMDG737NG for FS9 and after 2 days of trying to figure it out using their tutorial & manual (which I thought was lacking probably because of language differences) I gave up. I don't want that to happen again.

If you have no systems knowledge, that is a lot to learn without some help.  I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer questions on aircraft systems or hints on how to fly the 727. The bottom line is to have fun while learning!

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #23 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Bruce.

Yes you can. I do it all the time. I usually select a High Altitude airways plan. Note. You will probably need to add a NAV/GPS switch to the Autopilot, or at least create a keyboard shortcut for it. I use SHIFT + N.

I use it. For short flights, I have the same quantity in all three tanks. There is no CS fuel planner foor the 727.

That's a hard one for me to answer because I started using flight simulator back in 1983. BUT. Up until the middle of last year, I was a GA Flight Sim pilot only. Now I love these airliners.

You can come in here to ask for help and advice. Most of us will try to help you to achieve whatever it is that you are trying to do.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #24 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks Lou & Mark -

You guys are invaluable to this forum!

Lou - Yes, it is about fun and I do have fun believe me! When I lived in Sun City Texas a few years back I had a next door neighbor who was a career 727 sim instructor for AA (never a line pilot though), and he wasn't the least bit interested in computer FS! Didn't even care to talk about it. Too bad it wasn't you, Lou. I'd still be there!!

I know how to use the map to get frequencies and other info, but just never went VOR to VOR using just the NAV radios. I should try that. I guess once I learned how to get from A to B using the GPS and AP, and how to get up and down VFR and IFR I felt that was all I needed to learn and I could go anywhere in the world.

Mark - You have answered my main concerns regarding the FSX FLT PLNs and GPS interface. I always choose GPS Direct because the GPS then shows remaining mileage and estimated time all the way to the destination, whereas with High Altitude Airways or VOR to Vor the GPS only shows mileage and time to the next waypoint or VOR.

Seems I saw a thread here about adding a NAV/GPS switch at some point. I would rather do that than a key stroke, however I suppose I could map it to a yoke or throttle switch.

Well, I guess it's time for me to put up or shut up!! I was on a cruise when CS had the sale in December so I guess I'll have to pay full price which is pretty steep, but I do want this airplane!

Thanks again gents, you have been most helpful. I'll be back with more questions I'm sure!

Bruce

IP Logged

twright

Reply #25 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I was reading what you were saying about navigation and would like to ask a couple of questions.  You say nav was done VOR-VOR - do you mean like if you select VOR to VOR in the FSX Flight Planner?  If so, this is where I'm a little confused, because I always thought airways were followed by airliners, but if you select to navigate by airways, the waypoints aren't always VOR's, so this is quite difficult.  As I like to fly FSX as realistically as possible, how can I navigate by airways (as you did in the real world I guess) using the radio nav equipment, and how do I plan these flights?

Thanks,
Tom

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #26 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I was reading what you were saying about navigation and would like to ask a couple of questions.  You say nav was done VOR-VOR - do you mean like if you select VOR to VOR in the FSX Flight Planner?  If so, this is where I'm a little confused, because I always thought airways were followed by airliners, but if you select to navigate by airways, the waypoints aren't always VOR's, so this is quite difficult.  As I like to fly FSX as realistically as possible, how can I navigate by airways (as you did in the real world I guess) using the radio nav equipment, and how do I plan these flights?

Thanks,
Tom

OK Tom, I'll try to do a thumb nail of Airways and VOR's

This is a bit of an enroute chart. It is hard to read even in real life since there is a lot of information on the chart.
I have drawn a VERY simple map to explain how in the old days - and still today - how airways are flown.

I show a few VOR's named A, B, C & D and intersections E & F.
You could fly airway J-300 from VOR A to C via VOR B.
You could also fly J-300 to B then J-250 to E intersection and then J-150 to C.

In the high altitude structure (above 18,000 feet) airways are called Jet Routes or just J.

Since you are above 18,000 feet the line of sight distance - VHF Nav is line of sight - can be fairly far.
Line of sight at 35,000 feet is around 300 miles so you could fly out from one VOR on a radial to intercept
a radial from a distant VOR that you cannot receive until you get in range.
You can also fly to intersections made up by two VOR radials using radial to radial and or DME.
You could in the above picture fly from C VOR on J-150 Via the 230 degree radial
to intercept the 360 degree radial of D VOR at intersection F.

This is a VERY simple example, but thats how it's done.
With GPS or LNAV direct routes can be flown, but in the Jurassic Jet
we had no such fancy instruments or radios.  Grin

Hope that helps....if not ask!

Lou

IP Logged

twright

Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Wow thanks very much for your answer Lou!  Very helpful, much appreciated.

I find these sorts of flights very difficult to plan in Flight Simulator, because the FSX flight planner doesn't tell you which airways follow which VOR radials and likewise for the intersections. Also, certainly in European airspace (where most of my sim flying is done), airways don't seem to always correspond to VOR radials - unless I just can't find them because of the way the flight planner is set out!

Do you have any advice for planning these routes for FSX - as it isn't clear which VORs and which radials the airways and intersections correspond with?!

Many thanks,
Tom

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #28 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Hi Tom.

I have FS Commander 8.6 that I use for planning flights. I bought it through another company (Sorry Captain Sim Sad), and I find it very helpful for making flight plans.

You might want to consider Flight Operation Center: F.O.C from them instead (also from another company), but I don't know how good or bad that one is. I've thought about it but because I already have FSC, I might be wasting money. It does look like it would be good though.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Tom,

I have never used the FSX planner so I'm of no help there, however you can go online and download both low and high charts from various places including the FAA. There is a small fee, but you will only have to pay once since you won't have to keep them current. Maybe you can find a pilot that lives in your area and ask to obtain the charts he discards each month when he does his revisions.

What is really fun in the newer planes like the 767/757/747-400 you can fully program the FMC computer. Wait until you see how complex that item is. The book I had in the real plane was huge.

The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with the first step...  Huh  Start waking!

Lou

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top