Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
 25 To New Members Lou and Delta Dog (Read 64251 times)
madfred

Re: To New Members Lou and Delta Dog
Reply #45 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Even though this thread is dated, I love all the valuable info everyone has given. I am new to the 727 and this thread (and others) help me understand the ins and outs of this lovely bird.

Manfred

IP Logged

Red STar

Reply #46 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Advice from Lou is very helpful! Could you comment on technique for localizer capture. I try to fly an accurate localizer intercept, say from a DME arc, but this ends in a nearly ninety degree intercept which has me overshooting the LOC and by the time I get back on the LOC the glideslope is below. Should one add a couple of miles to the DME arc to allow some distance for making the intercept at a finer angle? I assume that one should never attempt glideshop capture before getting on the localizer. Keeping NAV 1 and 2 needles on the RMI selected intelligently to the available navaids seems to be useful. Your advice would be appreciated, Lou.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #47 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Could you comment on technique for localizer capture. I try to fly an accurate localizer intercept, say from a DME arc, but this ends in a nearly ninety degree intercept which has me overshooting the LOC and by the time I get back on the LOC the glideslope is below. Should one add a couple of miles to the DME arc to allow some distance for making the intercept at a finer angle

Just try and fly a traffic pattern. Fly downwind about 5 or 6 miles from the airport. Let's say the runway is north / south and you are landing on runway 36 (north). Fly a no wind heading of 180 degrees and have the plane level around 3,000 feet above ground level with flaps 15 degrees and around 160 KTS.

Tune the OM NDB to the frequency listed in the MAP pull-down. You can get all the information you need for the airport and runway by mouse over on the MAP pull-down located at the top left menu bar under the heading WORLD. Get all the nav aids set-up in advance so there is no rushing during the approach. If your airport does not have a NDB in the OM, find one that does.

Use the NDB indicator to see where you are in reference to the OM. Flip the paddle to NDB on the RMI card this will give you magnetic bearing to the OM as you fly the traffic pattern. As you fly abeam the OM for your runway the RMI/NDB will point 90 degrees to the left (if you are flying a left hand traffic pattern). Fly past the OM for a few minutes. The needle is now pointing to the 8 o'clock position on the RMI/NDB.

Start a left turn to 090 degrees and when on the 090 heading look at the NDB needle. It should be pointing at around 10 o'clock on the NDB indicator. You are landing on runway 36 and the RMI/NDB should show you about 020 degree bearing to the station (OM). You should be at flaps 15 and 160 KTS. and 3,000 feet AGL. As the RMI/NDB starts to show 15 to 10 degrees, start a left turn towards the runway. If you are 5 miles outside the OM this should give you ample time to intercept the LOC. Keep an eye on the RMI/NDB needle as it nears the bearing of 005 degrees the LOC should be coming alive. Fly all of this on the autopilot so you can see what is happening.

If you want to cheat you can have the GPS open in it's own window to see your progress, but the 727-100's rarely had a GPS so we learned to fly using VOR/DME and NDB. Use the heading select to turn (vector) the plane and intercept the LOC. Five miles outside the OM you should be below the G/S and you are now ready for the approach. While tracking the LOC, as the G/S comes alive put the gear down. When the G/S is one dot from intercept select flaps 30 degrees. Steer the plane in heading select and you can use the pitch knob on the autopilot to pitch down to follow the G/S. If this is too hard, you can select AUTO G/S before the G/S comes alive and just adjust the power to keep the approach speed as you descend. If you are around 125,000 pounds for landing a speed of 125 to 130 KTS should be OK. Look for a FF (fuel flow) of around 2,500 pounds per engine. Adjust as needed to keep the speed.

Let me know if this helps... Cool

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

ajandrade

Reply #48 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Mar 9th, 2010 at 4:23am:
Some questions for you. If you don't mind.
1. Have you have added the electric_always_available=1 to you aircraft.cfg?
2. If you haven't added that line, are you having trouble with loss of avionics power?
3. If you haven't added that line AND you aren't having that problem, could you please guide us through what you do from a Cold-n-Dark cockpit to the knob/button settings for maintaining power?

Markoz,

I have not added anything to the .cfg file and as long as I keep the engines running I have no problem with loss of power.

Let's see if I can remember all the steps to get the old bird fired up from the cold....

1. Cockpit safety check. Hyd pump switches off, gear, gear doors and flaps handles agree - you don't want anything moving until clear.
2. Battery ON - check voltage
3. Fire test APU then start up APU.
   Check volts and freqs of APU and close AGR to connect to aircraft busses. Essential power to APU
   Note: I do not find a master avionics switch on the pilots overhead??? I wonder how the radios are turned on???
4. On F/E panel make sure all bleed valves are open - packs off - to get engine start air. Manifold pressure around 40 psi.
   If you're not starting engines at this time, turn on packs for air temp control in plane.
5. When clear by ground - HYD B pumps on. Make sure brakes are parked or chocked.
6. Load fuel to desired level.
7. Turn off packs to start engines.
8. As each engine is started, F/E checks engine gen volts and freq [ 115 volts & 400 cycles ]
   Select Essential Power to engine one and close MGR to change over power from APU. Do same with each engine.
9. After engine start, turn on A/C packs.

That should get you started... Cheesy

The more I play with the CS-727 the more fun I have! It's pretty good indeed.
If you could have seen the multi-million dollar simulator we had in the 60's you would laugh.
Now, today, the simulators we train in are super, but back then the CS-727 would have been heaven.
I wish I would have kept my old 727 books.

Lou

Hy Sir

I bought CS 727 last week and dispite the beauty of the aircraft it self I beguin To face natural dificulties due the transition of the others airliners of CS and others editors.
The first was about the use of autopilot, that I turn around with more or less dificulty and with precious and of the others members of this forum.
But one remains and caused To send a ticket To CS support that was closed by CS saying that the error was in most cases from users witch don't read the manuals, in most cases is true, because the answers are in these manuals witch in this case don't seam to be true.
So the problem is a well known by you Sir and is about the misterious (for me), loss of the avionics and consequently loss of the autopilot after more or less 8 minutes of shuting down the APU. I have read carefuly your post about this problem with another member and the 3 manuals of CS and did not find why this happens. I followed rigorosly the procedures from you and from the manuals and the end is the same. Solution for me is turn on the APU when it shuts  down et voila I have the avionics and autopilot back. I believe that the error is certanly something that escape from me but I'm shure that the solution is not on the manuals. Oh One more thing: in fact when I beguin a flight from flight 727-100 Cold and Dark Ksea, this problem don't exist, simply don't loose the avionics and the flight goes well.

Can you help about this Sir? Hope not be boaring.
Regards
Antonio

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #49 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Hi Antonio.

I also had the problem, which is why I asked Lou the questions, but I no longer have them. Some things which might help either prevent, or get through, the loss of avionics power.

1. Create a keyboard command for the Avionics Master (on/off). I use CTRL+SHIFT+A. Use the keyboard command to turn the avionics on when needed.
    2. If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, you can give infinite battery life to your aircraft by going to Miscellaneous > Extend battery life (indefinitely if value equals 0, else by factor). Set it to 0
    3. Add the line electric_always_available=1 to the [electrical] section of the aircraft.cfg

Any of these should solve your problem.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

ajandrade

Reply #50 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  

1. Create a keyboard command for the Avionics Master (on/off). I use CTRL+SHIFT+A. Use the keyboard command to turn the avionics on when needed.

[b]How to create this command and where I put it?[/b]

3. Add the line electric_always_available=1 to the [electrical] section of the aircraft.cfg

Any of these should solve your problem. [/quote]

By Sir

Thanks for replay.
But how o create the command? Besides Ctrl+SHIFT+A is defined To select ADF in Fsx.

Antonio

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #51 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But how o create the command? Besides Ctrl+SHIFT+A is defined To select ADF in Fsx.

I rarely used CTRL+SHIFT+A for the ADF, so I simply use it for the Avionics Master (on/off).
You can use whatever Key Combination you want. There are plenty of others that are not in use, I simply chose the one that was originally used for the ADF. Here is how:

Settings > Controls > Buttons/Keys
Then set the Event category: to Radios (1)
Highlight Avionics master (on/off) (2)
Click on New Assignment  (3)
Press CTRL + SHIFT + A (or whatever Key Combination you want), then click on OK.
Your done.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

ajandrade

Reply #52 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Hy Mark

Thanks for your care.
Let me ask you a last question, the problem that you have like me disapered as for magick or you solved it with the solutions you sugest?

Regards
Antonio

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #53 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
the problem that you have like me disapered as for magick or you solved it with the solutions you sugest?

I don't know what I did to make it disappear.

Originally, I used the electric_always_available=1, to stop it happening.
Next. I used CTRL+SHIFT+A to turn the avionics back on when they turned off.
Then I used FSUIPC to Extend battery life (indefinitely if value equals 0, else by factor), by setting the value to 0.

One other thing I used to do to get the avionics back and working, was to press CTRL+E, the default for engine start, because it turned the avionics back on and they never disappeared again during the flight. This did not cause the engines to be shut down and then restart either, it only turned the avionics back on. So it was another work-around.

All of these worked as a way of getting around the avionics turning OFF after about 10 to 15 minutes. I do not use any of these fixes any more. A few weeks after I asked Lou those questions, and got his reply, everything was working like it should. I honestly think I was missing something that eventually allowed the avionics to turn OFF after 10 or 15 minutes, but to this day, I don't know what I was missing that caused it.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

ajandrade

Reply #54 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Well

I want To thank you for your great help to me and certanly for more of us.
But I think that CS should give to all of us a sort of read me file concerning this situations and why they happens and the solutions. I love this particulary aircraft ,( I have CSs b757/777 to),and it diserves it.

See you and nove more thank you  Smiley
Antonio

Ps: I must thank also for the sugestion of you about the switch nav/gps. Very usefull for long flights  Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #55 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:45am
Print Post  
You're welcome. Smiley

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

ajandrade

Reply #56 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
HY Mark

I have bad news  Sad With me don´t work Avionics on/of. They shut down dispite switch it. And the command is well done because when I have APU running I can switch the avionics on/off. So I continue need switch on APU to have avionics.
I´l try put the line in aircraft .cfg and see what happens.

Regards
Antonio

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #57 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 4:52am
Print Post  
One good thing about the APU in the CS727, is that it doesn't consume fuel. Shocked Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

ajandrade

Reply #58 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Hy Markoz

A long time is passed since the avionics problem was discussed. Anyway the problem persist. There is any evolution for this problem of avionics and autopilot ?

Regards
Antonio

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #59 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 4:57am
Print Post  
ajandrade wrote on Sep 19th, 2013 at 10:18pm:
Hy Markoz

A long time is passed since the avionics problem was discussed. Anyway the problem persist. There is any evolution for this problem of avionics and autopilot ?

Regards
Antonio

Unfortunately not. I have no idea as to when the next update might be.

Note: I am not a member of the Captain Sim staff, so I do not know what their plans are in regards to the updates for the 727 (or any other product). Sad

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top