Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
 25 AUTOPILOT-the only thread please (Read 73241 times)
Matt2218

Re: AUTOPILOT-the only thread please
Reply #45 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Cyberstudio;

I have made some mods to the xml autopilot gauge that might solve your problem with pitch control; if you have a spare email address that you don't mind posting I can send it to you.

Matt

IP Logged

cyberstudio

Reply #46 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Hi Matt!

aeryxs@gmail.com

thanks a lot!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #47 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 14th, 2009 at 12:25am:
Regarding what Richard said, I always make sure I'm below MLW so that may explain why I've been able to capture the localizer ok.  

Even when I get the localizer, I'm still hit or miss on the glideslope...it seems like if I do anything out of the ordinary the AP forgets what it's supposed to do.

Please, will someone explain to me what the aircraft weight (at approach time) can possibly have to do with the inability of the AP to properly capture and fly an ILS? Even the old Sperry AP in this aircraft should be capable of intercepting and flying an ILS down to DH or lower irrespective of aircraft weight!

This old airplane does not have a FMS, fuel-burn calculators or any other sophisticated automation. Just an old Sperry autopilot and steam gauges. There is no way that this autopilot even "knows" what the aircraft weight is at any given point in a flight. How, then, could aircraft weight at any point in any flight have any effect whatsoever on autopilot operation?

Imagine taking off in a full-gross-weight 727-200, losing an engine, deciding to immediately land back at the departure airport and finding out that your AP doesn't work except at certain weights... the concept is absurd.

This AP has only 2 axes: pitch and roll. These are aerodynamic parameters, measured by spinning gyros, not weight parameters. Yes, I know that pitch angle to maintain any particular vertical flight path (level, climb, descent) at any given speed is dependent on weight, but the variations are small, fractions of degrees of pitch to 2-3 degrees or so, and even more telling, THAT IS COMPLETELY BESIDE THE POINT!

In approach mode (Auto/GS), this AP should be able to "see" the ILS needles come alive and anticipate (based on intercept angles, simple basic math) how soon BEFORE the actual intercept point it needs to begin turning or pitching to capture the correct path... mine never anticipates... it waits until the intercept point has come and gone, then makes gross overcorrections back toward the LOC and/or GS.

I submitted a ticket on this, and the response was "we do not experience this problem." This is not helpful. I am doing everything "by the book" as far as AP setup and aircraft configuration are concerned. I have read all 3 manuals cover-to-cover several times, and I am following the procedures there TO THE LETTER. Based on postings here and elsewhere, I am not the only one experiencing autopilot "wonkiness" on ILS's.

Since CS apparently won't or can't help, I am hoping that someone here on the forum can help me to understand what I am doing wrong, or at least what needs to be done to make the AP capture and fly an ILS. However, I am BAFFLED by the references to aircraft landing weight in connection with autopilot function.

Please, someone help me understand what aircraft weight has to do with AP function. This (or any other approach-capable) AP should capture and fly the needles much better than I can AT ANY AIRCRAFT WEIGHT INCLUDING 5000 LBS OVER GROSS TAKEOFF WEIGHT!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me to understand the bizarre concept of aircraft weight preventing correct AP function.

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #48 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 7:01pm:
I have made some mods to the xml autopilot gauge that might solve your problem with pitch control; if you have a spare email address that you don't mind posting I can send it to you.

Matt, I would like to try your mods too- I have a ticket in regarding the failure of the AP to hold pitch when engaged after takeoff, but meanwhile if you have fixed it I would love to try your fix!

hoggydog@bellsouth.net

Thanks!

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #49 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:19am
Print Post  
On its way.  Let me know how you make out.

Cyberstudio - I emailed you...pls let me know if you didn't get it.

IP Logged

Richard Portier

Reply #50 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
HoggyDog,

You wrote "Please, someone help me understand what aircraft weight has to do with AP function. This (or any other approach-capable) AP should capture and fly the needles much better than I can AT ANY AIRCRAFT WEIGHT INCLUDING 5000 LBS OVER GROSS TAKEOFF WEIGHT!"

May be I'm wrong but consider the weight like a consequence not the cause.
For me the problem is in amount, located in some flags... Where ? that is the question.

Actually I am trying some adjustements (one by one, it's a long process) in air and cfg files parameters. I'm not a guru. I have an empiric approach. So...!

Also the issue is perhaps in an other place because some pilots have this problem, some other have not !?

Regards.

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc @ 4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770|M16GB|Windows 7 Ultimate 64|Fsx Accel|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #51 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Richard Portier wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:07pm:
May be I'm wrong but consider the weight like a consequence not the cause. For me the problem is in amount, located in some flags... Where ? that is the question.

Actually I am trying some adjustements (one by one, it's a long process) in air and cfg files parameters. I'm not a guru. I have an empiric approach. So...!

Also the issue is perhaps in an other place because some pilots have this problem, some other have not !?

In their response to my ticket on this issue, CS said that I should check aircraft speed, configuration and WEIGHT. They cited these 3 factors in the context of any one of them causing the AP not to be able to capture an ILS.

I can see how SPEED, if too high, would make the AP lag behind the ILS needle indications- simply because they come and go so quickly if you are flying toward the LOC and/or GS at an excessive speed... the AP just can't make adjustments that fast. I get that. I can even understand how flaps configuration could affect the AP because you can't fly the airplane at correct approach speeds without flaps & slats. However, this is only a peripheral connection; the REAL culprit would still be SPEED, because the old Sperry AP neither "knows" nor cares how much flap you have out. If you could fly the airplane on approach at 125KIAS without flaps, the AP should be FINE with that. So "configuration" would be only an indirect factor preventing proper AP function- only because proper config enables slow-enough airspeed.

I find it difficult to believe that CS or any other sim-aircraft developer of their caliber would program in a clearly-irrelevant "weight" parameter in the AUTOPILOT operation of an airplane that has ZERO automation such as FMS. Without FMS or similar functionality, the AP simply has no way of "knowing" aircraft weight at any given point in time- so why would excessive WEIGHT play any part in causing the AP to fail to capture and fly an ILS?

I'm just baffled by CS's suggestion that I should check approach WEIGHT as a possible cause for the AP failure to capture LOC and GS.
Likewise, I'm baffled by those who said here (above somewhere) that the AP works for them on ILS's with an empty airplane but not when loaded. It's just nonsensical to me.

You might as well say that the AP in this airplane only works well if the windshield wipers are turned on. That's how absurd and irrelevant "weight" seems to me as a possible cause of AP failure.

That's why I asked for help in understanding what weight can possibly have to do with AP operation on approaches in this steam-gauge, no-FMS airplane.

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #52 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Richard Portier wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:07pm:

I wonder how safe it would be for me to re-install the downloaded CS files (3 of them: the basic 727-100, the 727-200 and the freighters) over the top of my existing installation?

If some pilots are NOT experiencing this problem, there is obviously some difference between their installations and mine (and the many others who ARE having the problem.)

Or, is it possible that those of us having the problem have somehow installed a different VERSION of the package(s) than those who do not have the problem?

I purchased & downloaded my CS-727's on December 5, 2009. I installed them in the order 727-100, then 727-200, then the freighters. I have not installed any SP's or patches because the CS website indicates that the download installation files already incorporate the latest versions with all patches applied, and no SP's have been announced since then.

Can someone who is not experiencing AP failure to capture ILS's with normally-loaded airplanes please post when they installed their package, which of the 3 packages they installed, in what order, and whether or not they have applied any SP's since installation?

I wish I knew how to determine what "version" my installation is, but other than the name of the installation executables, I can't find any version info.

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #53 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I think it would be perfectly safe to re-run the executables...or you could uninstall/reinstall.

I wonder if it could be an FSUIPC version issue?  Grabbing at straws here...maybe check which version of FSUIPC you have installed (I think it's in the 'modules' folder in FSX) and see if it is the most recent one.

FWIW my C-130 is a bit lazy grabbing the localizer...sometimes I have to do the off/on routine with track mode.

IP Logged

TacomaSailor

Reply #54 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I am periodically having many of the problems previously described during a thread that covers 10 months.  But I see no solution to any of them:

1)  AP NAVLOC ON  VOR captured (green light is ON) flying properly to the heading - ALT HOLD & ELEV engagement switch is OFF is off but AC climbs at 1000'/minute even with maximum down yoke/down trim.  Turn off AP and I immediately regain elevator control.    As soon as I engage AP-NAV LOC the AC starts climbing

2) AC & AP are working perfectly - AC is stable in NAV-LOC with ALT HOLD on.  FL 20 at Mach .71  - suddenly the AC starts falling from sky at 5,000 fpm while maintining Mach.71 and N1 at ~85%.   IAS starts to drop rapidly, I push over, increase the throttle to 99% but the IAS continues to drop and the Vertical Airspeed does not change.  If I push over into a near vertical dive the flight ends with a an Overspeed/Overstress and IAS of less than 100 kts just before breakup.  

When this happens at 9,000' and 225 kts there is no way to recover.  The AC pancakes at a vertical speed of 6000 fpm and IAS of 0 kts with N1 at 100%.

3) AC is on AP (NavLoc/Alt Hold) and stable at Mach .71 - starts going up and down 1000 fpm in a slow fashion - throttles don't move, control surfaces don't move but plane climbs then descends.  Turning off AP immediately stabilizes AC.

4) Level Stable flight at 15,000  Nav1 captures VOR - I hear the correct  Morse Code - AP on NavLoc - green light on dash - Aileron and Elevator engaged in AP   The DME is showing the correct distance and the HSI is lined up with the correct course selected.  BUT - - AC flys at right angels or even away from VOR.  

Most of the time (over 80% of flight hours) the AP works just as it should.  Cheesy

I know it's an old AP but is that the way it is supposed to work?

ASUS P7P55D PRO / 4GB Corsair DD3 PC12800 / Intel i5-750 (OC) / eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) / Vista32 / FSX Acceleration

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #55 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
HoggyDog wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 7:35pm:
[quote author=Ta link=1234458523/45#54 date=1261268160]1)  AP NAVLOC ON  VOR captured (green light is ON) flying properly to the heading - ALT HOLD & ELEV engagement switch is OFF is off but AC climbs at 1000'/minute even with maximum down yoke/down trim.  Turn off AP and I immediately regain elevator control.    As soon as I engage AP-NAV LOC the AC starts climbing

For lack of a better term, this is what I call the "pitch runaway" syndrome of this AP, i.e. AP fails to hold pitch properly. I have submitted a ticket on this and it has been "forwarded to the development team for consideration." So the good news is, CS is able to duplicate the problem and is aware of it.

TacomaSailor wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:16am:
2) AC & AP are working perfectly - AC is stable in NAV-LOC with ALT HOLD on.  FL 20 at Mach .71  - suddenly the AC starts falling from sky at 5,000 fpm while maintining Mach.71 and N1 at ~85%.   IAS starts to drop rapidly, I push over, increase the throttle to 99% but the IAS continues to drop and the Vertical Airspeed does not change.  If I push over into a near vertical dive the flight ends with a an Overspeed/Overstress and IAS of less than 100 kts just before breakup.

This sounds like a combination of three well-known and previously-discussed issues:

1. Triple flameout due to improper crossfeed setup (see JETPILOT's informative response to this nasty inflight surprise elsewhere in the forums). It is conceivable that you could still show a "normal" N1 speed due to windmilling of the flamed-out engines as you plummet to the ground with no power; and

2. The VSI is inaccurate. Matt2218 has addressed this in another thread in this forum; and

3. The aerodynamic modeling of this airplane is WAY off, such that power (throttle) has TOO MUCH impact on speed, and pitch has TOO LITTLE impact on aircraft speed. Again, our hero (and RL 727 pilot) JETPILOT has discussed this long-standing issue elsewhere (possibly here, possibly on AVSIM). The exact problem he discussed was that it is impossible to descend the airplane with throttles correctly set at idle no matter how large the rate of descent is- you have to carry some power in the descent to maintain airspeed even on a "clean" (no flaps, spoilers or gear out) airplane- which is just silly. The 727 is a fast, "slick" airplane and should maintain airspeed during a descent at idle throttle with descent rates of anything over 1000 fpm.

3) AC is on AP (NavLoc/Alt Hold) and stable at Mach .71 - starts going up and down 1000 fpm in a slow fashion - throttles don't move, control surfaces don't move but plane climbs then descends.  Turning off AP immediately stabilizes AC.

This is what my AP does as it tries to capture a GS in Auto/GS mode AND when engaged during the first segment climb after takeoff- it's the AP "pitch runaway" issue, Part Deux. The bottom line here is that the AP pitch control simply doesn't work, period. Hopefully, CS will fix this sooner rather than later.

4) Level Stable flight at 15,000  Nav1 captures VOR - I hear the correct  Morse Code - AP on NavLoc - green light on dash - Aileron and Elevator engaged in AP   The DME is showing the correct distance and the HSI is lined up with the correct course selected.  BUT - - AC flys at right angels or even away from VOR.

Haven't experienced this one (yet). If you're sure your course needle was set correctly (it can be confusing, depending on whether you intend to fly TO or FROM the VOR) then this is just another example of autopilot "wonkiness" in the CS 727 (FSX).

Most of the time (over 80% of flight hours) the AP works just as it should.  Cheesy

I wish I could say the same. My AP has ***NEVER*** captured a LOC or GS without first delaying the roll or pitch toward the correct path until after it has passed and then overcontrolling the airplane after the correct path has come and gone, resulting in endless zigzagging and porpoising... and a crash if I don't disconnect it and try to salvage the approach by hand... and it has ***NEVER*** held pitch on initial engagement after takeoff.

I know it's an old AP but is that the way it is supposed to work?

Um, no. This is the longest and most consistent thread on the entire 727 Forum, even after you disregard some of the posts wanting to know where the alt-preselect or autothrottle-enable switches are (the airplane doesn't have those.) It is CLEAR from the many AP issues discussed here over the past 10 months that CS needs to completely re-work the AP "logic" and functionality in this airplane. Hopefully, they will do so soon. Please, CS, move this to the top of your list and FIX IT!

IP Logged

TacomaSailor

Reply #56 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 3:24am
Print Post  
TacomaSailor wrote on Yesterday at 4:16pm:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

NOW I UNDERSTAND!! - It is a DEEP STALL and Captain Sim modeled it perfectly - as far as I can tell from my limited experience.

In test flying at 12,000' I found that the 727 will go into a deep stall at somewhere around 138 - 140 knots at a AoA of 7 degrees. Once in the deep stall the vertical airspeed quickly reaches 6,000 fpm downward. If recovery is not accomplished within 10 seconds of stick shaker it is almost impossible to recover. However, if at stick shaker onset I push the yoke and increase the power (AFTER the nose drops!) I can recover with the loss of about 4,000 feet. The AC begins to have a positive climb rate at an IAS of around 200 knots.

I'm sure many of you know about deep stalls but since it is a phenomena pretty much restricted to T-Tails it is something I had never experienced or read about.

At a high AoA the horizontal portion of the T-Tail becomes blanketed by the disturbed air from the wing. When the wing stalls - the elevator has little authority to force the nose down. As the stall deepens the elevator looses all authority and becomes useless. The AoA (documented in real life) continues to increase -OR- the AC settles into a wings level nose level attitude with a very high vertical air speed. The AC then pancakes in a near level vertical drop. Well documented on the WEB (Wiki is a good start) and fun to read about.

Now that I understand it I see Captain Sim did a great job of building the proper flight dynamics.

This happens when I fly the 727 on AP and for whatever reason the AoA increases with a drop in IAS. If I am not paying attention and don't hear the stick shaker - then it quickly becomes unrecoverable.

SO - the question becomes - WHY when the AC has been under control of the AP in level stable flight for many minutes, or even hours, does the AoA suddenly increase and the IAS drop? It seems to occur in AltHold and for some reason the throttles slowly retard - thus forcing the AP to trim for pitch up and allows IAS to decrease.

I KNOW - the AP does not control the throttles but at Mach .71 changing the AoA by 5 degrees should not get the AC to Vs.  I need to find a flight envelop diagram for the 727-100 to determine the critical AoA at Mach .71/FL20 - MAYBE it is that sensitive.  Although I thought Vno was around Mach .85.

Good Job on the Deep Stall - Captain Sim!!

this is a copy (with more AP details) of a reply I added to the AVSIM 727 Opinion Thread

ASUS P7P55D PRO / 4GB Corsair DD3 PC12800 / Intel i5-750 (OC) / eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) / Vista32 / FSX Acceleration

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #57 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
TacomaSailor wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 3:24am:
NOW I UNDERSTAND!! - It is a DEEP STALL and Captain Sim modeled it perfectly - as far as I can tell from my limited experience.
[...]
I'm sure many of you know about deep stalls but since it is a phenomena pretty much restricted to T-Tails it is something I had never experienced or read about.

Back in the Dark Ages (around the time that early 727's were rolling off the Boeing assembly line) I remember a lively "hangar talk" session about the new Piper Arrows being given T-Tails for no reason other than "visual style" and/or "ramp appeal." Somehow, Piper's Marketing people had prevailed over the aerodynamicists and engineers and convinced Management that the airplane would sell better if it looked more like a jet.

The conclusion of the assembled sages that day was that Piper had shot itself in the foot, and that the adverse aerodynamic characteristics of T-Tails (elevator blanking) at rotation, in the flare and (as you have discovered with the 727) in "slow flight" when level would basically "kill" the Arrow as a marketable airplane. As evidence, they discussed the elevator blanking so painfully obvious in Piper's attempt to unseat the Cessna 150/152 as the most widely-used primary trainer: the Tomahawk, which also had a T-Tail purely for misguided aesthetic reasons and whose entire empennage would shake visibly and audibly while practicing stalls. I turned around to look at it once while it was shaking and flapping around at the onset of a stall, and I immediately released back pressure, resumed normal flight, returned SLOWLY AND GENTLY to the airport and refused to ever fly a Tomahawk again. It's the only time in my long and mostly-routine flying career that I was AFRAID of what was happening and genuinely fearful that I would not make it back alive.

Turns out the sages were right about the T-Tail Arrow- it wasn't long before poor sales moved Piper to have the same epiphany- they put the horizontal stab back where it came from, i.e. where the engineers said it should be. Also, on the used airplane market, the T-Tails are generally the cheapest and least-desirable of all the Arrows, other factors being equal.

Of course, the T-Tails on 727's, DC-9's (etc. etc.) were put there due to engine placement, not aesthetics, but the result is that elevator blanking at high AoA is a very real phenomenon in pretty much ANY T-Tail airplane, large or small. That's why the "normal configuration" for horizontal stabs has them mounted on or very close to the fuselage.

The only part of your post that I'm having any difficulty understanding is where you appear to say that you are reading Mach .71 and 140 KIAS simultaneously at 12,000 ft MSL. Just "don't seem right" to me.  Shocked

Also, I was under the impression that ALL autopilots would "kick off" at the onset of the stick shaker. I have no personal RL experience with the 727's Sperry, but I thought that this was a certification requirement. Many large airplanes even have "stick pushers" that take affirmative action to cure an incipient stall- I wonder if the 727 had a stick pusher as well as a stick shaker?

IP Logged

TacomaSailor

Reply #58 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
As far as I can tell - activation of the stick pusher does not turn off the 727 Sperry AP in my 727.  

I think I have determined two causes of the excursion into a deep stall.   One is pilot error - the other is ???

Flying below 10000' at about 190 knots using the AP in ALT HOLD and HeadingSelect.  Change the heading bug for a 90 degree turn.  The AC enters a standard rate turn.  If the turn continues long enough - the airspeed keeps dropping if I don't increase throttle - eventually drops below Vs with AoA (I did ask it to keep a set altitude) ever increasing.   This is just bad piloting.

I have done lot's of testing at FL32 and find that I can enter a DEEP STALL if the AoA exceeds 16 degrees and Mach drops below .48 - now why does it do that?

I think it happens when I have a GPS on the 2nd monitor.  I am making keyed inputs into the GPS, e.g. new VOR, and the FSX or 727 program sees those as inputs to the AP or throttles.   For example I was typing in the new VOR and the AP disconnected and the throttles rolled back from 80% to 20% - I let the problem progress and soon the plane was pitched up at 16.8 degrees, IAS was 114. MACH was .45 and vertical speed rapidly approached -10,000.  

All this occurred when I typed NID into what I thought was the GPS but  it acted like the focus was still on the VC so the NID was taken as input to the ???

While testing the Deep Stall I just saw IAS=265, MACH=.58, AoA 1 degree up and VSI=-6000.   This was during recovery while I was trying to bring the nose up without overstressing the plane.  

So - I think my Mach.71/IAS 140 must have been during the recovery - before I understood the problem.

However,  the 727 VC gets in a situation where the MACH and/or the IAS jumps suddenly either UP or DOWN and often not in synch.  The ADI also goes from horizontal to vertical (on it's side as if OFF) at times and stays like that for many seconds - then spontaneously reverts to a normal horizontal display.

The problem comes and goes but gets progressively more frequent - the only way to stop the problem is save the flight, exit and restart FSX.

My last observation is that the AP does capture the VOR in NAV LOC and does EVENTUALLY get on track.  I have run a number of tests where I selected NAV LOC while approaching the desired radial at an angle of 10 or so degrees and three dots off the track.  The SPERRY AP in my 727 will overshoot the desired radial and then oscillate back and forth for several minutes before settling down on the course.  The oscillations can take it up to 3 dots past the desired track.  

But, if I leave it alone, it always gets on track after three or four minutes.  

IP Logged

MercuryOneOne

Reply #59 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Here is a link to my youtube video tutorial on how to use the 727 autopilot for an ILS landing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3utBqi7-4

I hope this is helpful!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top