Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
 25 AUTOPILOT-the only thread please (Read 73194 times)
Matt2218

Re: AUTOPILOT-the only thread please
Reply #30 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Tyrion wrote on Jul 24th, 2009 at 6:16pm:
Made a couple of flights using AP, and everything works fine here too.
Used alt hold, hdg hold, turning with hdg hold, nav hold (using VOR's) and app mode (using ILS)...
no problems at all...

Lars

Lars - I had one question for you.  If you activate only the 'aileron master' switch (leave the elevator master switch off) can you control the pitch of the aircraft using the yoke?

As I understand it, you are supposed to be able to set the aileron master to hold your heading or stay on the localizer while you adjust pitch manually with the yoke.  On my machine the CS 727 AP doesn't work that way though...when I flip the aileron master it instantly locks my pitch attitude as well, with the elevator master off.

I've submitted a ticket, but in the mean time I tweaked the xml part of my 2D autopilot gauge and can now operate the autopilot elevator master switch  to control pitch independently, the way it is supposed to work...unfortunately haven't figured out how to get the elevator master switch indication to be right in any mode other than 'manual'. When I hit altitude hold the elevator master switches 'off' even though it is still on technically because it is holding altitude!

Wish I knew how to program in C++   Cheesy

Could be something specific to my setup, but I hope it is addressed in the next update.

IP Logged

Tyrion

Aviation Student

Reply #31 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I haven't tried that exactly.
Haven't done any long flights in this bird recently, quite busy with other things.
Sorry, I wouldn't know the answer to your question.

Lars

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #32 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks Lars...It's a minor point; frankly I fly by hand most of the time anyway. 

It is nice though to have the aircraft track the localizer or VOR radial automatically and adjust climb/descent manually.  I hope they can fix it for the next update.

IP Logged

Berlopez

Denmark<br />

Reply #33 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
JayG: I'm in the same boat as you right now with thew 727. Auto approaches and ILS's...
Today I managed my first ILS approach, I'm not pround of it because I landed faaaaaaaaaaar away from the runway That is the plane began it's auto descend too soon. The capture of the ILS heading was straight on. But the maintaining of altitude,unless I'm doing/ expecting something (?) was way too soon. It landed the plane a good 5 miles out in front of the runway????? Undecided

<div class=
IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Captain Sim -

If you are still reading this thread...

I modified the autopilot .xml to make it behave more like the real 727 Sperry in terms of pitch control...I also finally got the 'elevator master' switch to properly indicate its status when in other than manual mode.

I sent you a link to the updated gauge via the trouble ticket system; I'd recommend you try it out and see if it works better than the old one.

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #35 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I am having difficulty with the autopilot properly capturing localizers and glideslopes. With pre-intercept conditions of: AP set to Heading Hold and Alt Hold, course needle set to desired course (final approach course) and approaching the localizer on a heading resulting in 20 degrees or less for an intercept angle and an altitude far below the GS, I switch the AP to "Auto/GS" when cleared for the approach.

As the localizer needle-segment "comes alive" on the CDI and starts to move toward a centered "on course" indication, the AP does *nothing.* It continues to do *nothing* until the CDI indicates that we have just flown through the localizer... then it abruptly turns the airplane back toward the localizer using max bank angle... flies back through the localizer... overcorrects again... flies through the localizer again... and basically zig-zags around the localizer all the way down final.

Meanwhile, the GS needle begins to move down the side of the CDI. So, true to its disposition, the AP does *nothing* until we have flown through the GS, at which point the AP abruptly noses the airplane over into a dive... and we porpoise endlessly, flying through the GS at least 5 times as we zig-zag around the localizer. Sometimes we get near the runway, sometimes we don't.

In short, my AP seems to stay about 2-3 seconds behind the airplane at all times. It's not my computer- I have great framerates (minimum 25 fps) at all times and no scenery-load "glitching" even with UTX and GEX running... nothing about flying in FSX is "tardy" for me except the AP in this particular airplane, so my computer is not 2-3 seconds behind the Sim... it's really just the AP that can't seem to keep up.

Even worse, several passengers have sent gratuitously-nasty letters to my airline, featuring my name and using unjustified phrases such as "ham-fisted oaf" and "needs to go back to his previous career as a blacksmith" and "surprised the wings stayed on the airplane." Management has taken to occasionally asking me if I miss my days of being a FE on the 727...  Grin

I have carefully read the manuals (Systems and Ops), as well as the excellent mini-tutorial at the head of this thread, and I believe that I am setting everything correctly for LOC/GS captures. My expectation is that the old Sperry will "notice" the impending LOC and GS capture as soon as the needle comes alive and begin turning toward the course (or pitching down toward a normal ILS descent gradient) as the needles get a dot or two BEFORE center, not AFTER center. The result would be a relatively smooth and accurate capture with MINIMAL "hunting" back and forth.

Since there are people here who say that "everything works fine for me" can someone please tell me if Auto/GS with settings as I described above works for you without zig-zagging and porpoising all the way down final while using up all the barf bags aboard, or if I am setting something incorrectly?

Thanks!

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #36 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 6th, 2009 at 1:38pm:
I modified the autopilot .xml to make it behave more like the real 727 Sperry in terms of pitch control...I also finally got the 'elevator master' switch to properly indicate its status when in other than manual mode.

I sent you a link to the updated gauge via the trouble ticket system; I'd recommend you try it out and see if it works better than the old one.

Matt, do you know if CS has done anything with this? I just bought the CS 727 a  week ago- so I have no way of knowing whether or not CS has "fixed" this, except to note that my AP seems to work as expected except in Auto/GS mode (see my prev. post).

IP Logged

Richard Portier

Reply #37 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
HoggyDog wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:20pm:
I am having difficulty with the autopilot properly capturing localizers and glideslopes. With pre-intercept conditions of: AP set to Heading Hold and Alt Hold, course needle set to desired course (final approach course) and approaching the localizer on a heading resulting in 20 degrees or less for an intercept angle and an altitude far below the GS, I switch the AP to "Auto/GS" when cleared for the approach.

As the localizer needle-segment "comes alive" on the CDI and starts to move toward a centered "on course" indication, the AP does *nothing.* It continues to do *nothing* until the CDI indicates that we have just flown through the localizer... then it abruptly turns the airplane back toward the localizer using max bank angle... flies back through the localizer... overcorrects again... flies through the localizer again... and basically zig-zags around the localizer all the way down final.

Meanwhile, the GS needle begins to move down the side of the CDI. So, true to its disposition, the AP does *nothing* until we have flown through the GS, at which point the AP abruptly noses the airplane over into a dive... and we porpoise endlessly, flying through the GS at least 5 times as we zig-zag around the localizer. Sometimes we get near the runway, sometimes we don't.

In short, my AP seems to stay about 2-3 seconds behind the airplane at all times. It's not my computer- I have great framerates (minimum 25 fps) at all times and no scenery-load "glitching" even with UTX and GEX running... nothing about flying in FSX is "tardy" for me except the AP in this particular airplane, so my computer is not 2-3 seconds behind the Sim... it's really just the AP that can't seem to keep up.

Even worse, several passengers have sent gratuitously-nasty letters to my airline, featuring my name and using unjustified phrases such as "ham-fisted oaf" and "needs to go back to his previous career as a blacksmith" and "surprised the wings stayed on the airplane." Management has taken to occasionally asking me if I miss my days of being a FE on the 727...  Grin

I have carefully read the manuals (Systems and Ops), as well as the excellent mini-tutorial at the head of this thread, and I believe that I am setting everything correctly for LOC/GS captures. My expectation is that the old Sperry will "notice" the impending LOC and GS capture as soon as the needle comes alive and begin turning toward the course (or pitching down toward a normal ILS descent gradient) as the needles get a dot or two BEFORE center, not AFTER center. The result would be a relatively smooth and accurate capture with MINIMAL "hunting" back and forth.

Since there are people here who say that "everything works fine for me" can someone please tell me if Auto/GS with settings as I described above works for you without zig-zagging and porpoising all the way down final while using up all the barf bags aboard, or if I am setting something incorrectly?

Thanks!

Hello,

Concerning Auto/GS approach mode, it works without problem when the plane is EMPTY (just the 3 officers + 3* 20 or 30 percent of fuel)

I made several touch and go at KORD with not problem.

BUT if the bird is full passengers + some luggages in cargo + 10 or 20 percent of fuel (typical config after a trip), it seems react like you wrote.

Maybe a clue for some fine adjustement in plane.cfg or other files...!?

Have you tested with an empty plane ?

Regards.

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc @ 4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770|M16GB|Windows 7 Ultimate 64|Fsx Accel|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #38 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
HoggyDog wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:57pm:
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 6th, 2009 at 1:38pm:

Matt, do you know if CS has done anything with this? I just bought the CS 727 a  week ago- so I have no way of knowing whether or not CS has "fixed" this, except to note that my AP seems to work as expected except in Auto/GS mode (see my prev. post).

Not as far as I know...they said they would look at it though.

Just to be clear, my mods to the AP weren't targeted at how it tracks the localizer/GS...I just changed how the switches functioned.  My AP seems to work just fine, except that sometimes it doesn't grab the glideslope properly...usually when I've just loaded a saved flight.

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #39 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Richard Portier wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 8:48pm:
Concerning Auto/GS approach mode, it works without problem when the plane is EMPTY (just the 3 officers + 3* 20 or 30 percent of fuel)

I made several touch and go at KORD with not problem.

BUT if the bird is full passengers + some luggages in cargo + 10 or 20 percent of fuel (typical config after a trip), it seems react like you wrote.

Maybe a clue for some fine adjustement in plane.cfg or other files...!?

Have you tested with an empty plane ?

Richard, thanks, it never occurred to me that aircraft weight would have anything to do with AP performance, and I have NOT tested with an empty airplane- all of my approaches in this fine bird have been at the end of a 1-2 hour flight that started with full fuel and about 50-80% passenger/baggage loads.

I will do some testing with an empty airplane and see if that cures the AP problems, but even if it does, I hate to have to placard the AP "WARNING: APPROACH MODE UNUSABLE UNLESS AIRCRAFT IS EMPTY"  Cheesy

IP Logged

HoggyDog

Reply #40 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 9:46pm:
Just to be clear, my mods to the AP weren't targeted at how it tracks the localizer/GS...I just changed how the switches functioned.  My AP seems to work just fine, except that sometimes it doesn't grab the glideslope properly...usually when I've just loaded a saved flight.

Just to be certain that my issue is clearly stated:

If I hand-fly the intercept (LOC and GS) and *then* engage the Auto/GS mode once established on both the LOC and the GS, it *holds* them just fine.

My only issue is that the AP steadfastly refuses to INTERCEPT and CAPTURE the LOC and GS when both are approached in a "normal" way- 10-20 degree LOC intercept angle and well below the GS.

Thanks-

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #41 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I hear you loud and clear on that.

Regarding what Richard said, I always make sure I'm below MLW so that may explain why I've been able to capture the localizer ok. 

Even when I get the localizer, I'm still hit or miss on the glideslope...it seems like if I do anything out of the ordinary the AP forgets what it's supposed to do.

Fortunately hand-flying this aircraft is very doable Smiley

IP Logged

Launchbury

Reply #42 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 14th, 2009 at 12:25am:
Fortunately hand-flying this aircraft is very doable Smiley

Yeah it is!  Cheesy  Only problem, though, is I'm betting it's a real handful on VATSIM.

IP Logged

cyberstudio

Reply #43 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Help! :S

When enabled, the autopilot in the 727 should keep the pitch angle. My 727 can't do that. Why? A bug?

IP Logged

cyberstudio

Reply #44 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Please guys... help Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top