Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
 25 AUTOPILOT-the only thread please (Read 73217 times)
BlackAce

How do I work the AP?
Reply #60 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Hi all,
I've had the 727 for a while, and i don't know how to get the AutoPilot workoing, and I've been trying to use it, but i can't get it.  so if you could plese help me, or tell me how.

Thanks

&&&&
IP Logged

Howell

Re: How do I work the AP?
Reply #61 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Well . . . this could be long which I hate, so I will keep this short and hope it leads you down the bunny trail.

There are two AP stations on the 727
1) Is called "Autopilot Panel"  which sits bellow the throttles and radio / Nav radio stack.

2) is called "FLIGHT DIRECTOR CONTROLS" which sits above the throttles on the left and right.

To work the AP . . .
Once lined up for T/O I assume that your heading indicator is lined up with the runway or the heading that ATC issued.  I would then go to the  "Autopilot Panel" panel and make sure your heading selector is up to activate and the knob above is on "B".  On the "FLIGHT DIRECTOR CONTROLS" panel turn the knob to HDG. Make sure your Nav radio is tuned to the first VOR.
 Once airborne and in good steady rate of climb,  flick the two switches on "Autopilot Panel" called "ELV" and I forget name, but there side-by-side, but go ahead and flick up to engage.  Once your vectored to your first VOR or ADF and your "Radio Magnetic Indicator (RMI) is reading your signal, turn both knobs from "Autopilot Panel" and "FLIGHT DIRECTOR CONTROLS" to LOC/VOR and turn off the HDG on your "Autopilot Panel" and your are set on AP.

I hope this helps!

IP Logged

Berlopez

Denmark<br />

Reply #62 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Sorry to bud in here...

How can I do an ILS landing on the 727-100? How can I identify the NAV2 radio to tune in the Rwy. ILS frequency,before I click G/S.Last night I attem,pted by tuning on the second form the top radio,thinking that is the NAV2,But upon intercept It turned and dived!?...

<div class=
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #63 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Berlopez.

Firstly. I'm using the 727 v2.3 without any mods.

I have found that the trick to catch the ILS and GS is to come into it at about 10 degrees or less than the Localizer heading and below the Glide Slope.

I use HDG SEL and ALT HOLD and I have the Mode Selector Knob on AUTO G/S as I'm coming in.
My altitude is at about 3800' AGL at around 11nm from the airport.
When I get close to the Localizer the HDG SEL disengages on its own accord and starts turning onto it.
Then as the Glide Slope is just about at the centre of the ADI. I manually disengage the ALT HOLD. This allows the plane to follow the Localizer and GS to the runway.
As it gets close to the Runway Threshold I have to turn the Autopilot off or it will start climbing again just prior to landing (it's as if the GS starts to go up again at that point).

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

MercuryOneOne

Reply #64 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Reply for Berlopez -
I have posted a 2 part video on youtube on how to use the Captain Sim 727 autopilot. You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3utBqi7-4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: AUTOPILOT-the only thread please
Reply #65 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 2:50am
Print Post  
This is an old post from page #2 Maybe it will help...

Autopilot operations on the CS-727.

I have Ver 2.4.

Just flew a bunch of ILS autopilot approaches to see how the CS-727 works. It is remarkable how this software simulates the real 727.

The key to a autopilot approach is not to hurry the poor autopilot. Remember this is 1950's state-of-the-art stuff so you can't expect 757, 767, or Airbus navigation or electronics. In the real plane you need to be set-up for the approach long before intercept...no different here!

Get all the radios set to the correct frequencies and set the course on the HDI to the ILS inbound course. You can get the correct freq. from the MAP drop-down. Just mouse over the ILS for the runway you plan to land on and the ILS information will appear.

As you fly in the traffic pattern have the autopilot in MANUAL or HEADING SELECT with ALTITUDE HOLD engaged. You can steer the plane in heading select and work yourself toward and intercept heading.

Here are some ball park or canned speeds to fly in the pattern:
Landing weight 125,000 to 130,000#
CLEAN - 230 KTS (not less than 200 KTS)
FLAPS 2 - Not more than 230 KTS not less than say 180 KTS
FLAPS 5 -between 180 and 160 KTS
FLAPS 15 around 150 KTS

As you get close to the ILS intercept be at FLAPS 15 and around 150 KTS. This will give you a better degrees per second turn rate thus giving the old autopilot a better chance of success. (the faster you go the slower the turn rate for a given bank angle)

You can select AUTO-G/S anytime during your vectoring for the intercept. The autopilot will remain in HEADING SELECT until LOC intercept.
You must remain BELOW the G/S and intercept the LOC first.

I set up the plane on an intercept heading of around 30 degrees to the localizer and on the initial approach altitude for the ILS selected and about 10 miles from the airport.

I set up the autopilot & F/D in altitude hold and heading select.

I select G/S AUTO on both the autopilot and the F/D. I am flying at 150 KTS with flaps 15 which is a normal setting for this phase of the approach.

Give the autopilot a chance to do it's thing by not rushing the approach.

As the LOC comes alive, the autopilot and F/D will captured the LOC and intercept. The heading select will trip off.  With the LOC captured and the plane at 150 KTS and flaps 15 degrees I am now trucking towards the runway. As the G/S comes alive select gear down. One dot to G/S intercept select flaps 30 degrees and as the plane pitches down at G/S intercept adjust power to maintain speed. For these approaches I set the fuel load to 20,000 # and I used around 125 KTS on final.

Note on the F/D... To get "all angle capture" by the F/D you must first select HEADING SELECT and be in that mode for a few seconds before selecting G/S AUTO. The F/D will remain in heading select and can be controlled with the heading knob up until capture of the LOC. If you do not do this heading select first and go directly to G/S AUTO the F/D will program a 45 degree intercept. Not a big deal, but this will give you the option of guiding the plane to an intercept heading during vectoring.

Take note of the approach progress display group of lights on the instrument panel. They show the modes of the autopilot and the F/D as they go through the various arm & capture modes.

Make smooth and slow power changes and try to hold a constant speed. Every speed change will result in a pitch change and thus a trim change and the approach becomes unstable. I use FUEL FLOW to set power. At 30 degrees flap at this weight around 2,000 to 2,500 FF should be close. Adjust smoothly to stay on speed.

The 727 is not an auto land plane so you must disconnect before touchdown. 

MANUAL G/S was only used:
When above the glide slope or on an extended (long) approach.

Once the ILS is captured by the autopilot a timer starts in the autopilot. As the aircraft gets closer to the runway the LOC and G/S get more sensitive. Boeing designed the glide slope to begin desensitization as the plane would get closer to the runway. In the 727-100 this was based on time. (the 727-200 used the radar altimeter - much better! Did not need to use this procedure.)

So, if you are on an extended (long) final and you have intercepted the ILS at a higher altitude the G/S would need to be re-sensitized during the approach. Here is how you do this: While in AUTO G/S and on LOC and G/S, you select a non radio mode - HEADING SELECT, then select MANUAL G/S quickly by pushing down on the switch and move to MANUAL G/S. Folks, this is way too detailed for this simulator. Just don't fly too long a final and intercept at a higher altitude. You can fly a 50 mile LOC (done sometines in KLAX or KLAS) just don't select AUTO G/S until 7 or 8 miles out.

I hope this information helps. It's a bit technical, but simmers like myself enjoy the detail. I find this CS-727 to be a blast and a lot of fond memories of the old plane which was always fun to fly.

Remember this is a "game" not a multi-million dollar simulator. I think it's a great simulation and it flys pretty much like the real thing which was not CAT-II. Give it a try and don't rush the approach and it will do a good job.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #66 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Great post, Lou. Page #2 therefor was a diamond.

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #67 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Yes indeed, that is why it was posted to KB into 'Tips and Tricks' category - Autopilot operations on the CS-727 (by LOU), KB# 6061.

IP Logged

MatzeH84

Reply #68 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Question on that- first to say I own a boxed version which is 2.3.
On the APD there seem to be no armed conditions- when I switch to NAV/LOC for example, the indicator turns green immediately, even if miles and miles away from the point where I'd cross the selected radial. The F/D turns only to amber when the A/P is on manual while NAV/LOC or other mode selected on the F/D. Is this a 2.3 issue? Hoping for a 2.4 for the another company box.. regards

IP Logged

simbiosi

Reply #69 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:02am
Print Post  
For my experience there is no way to capture a radial  To or from a VOR, the only way to capture the radial is to engage the FD auto GS and it will follow but not really straight and doing some zigzag.
I have also a problem with the trim setting but maybe is my lacks of knowledge, when I set trim  the aircraft dosen't  keep my input after scroll it goes back.
Also the FD attitude dosen't work.

IP Logged

MatzeH84

Reply #70 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Nah.. with the autopilot-mod the AP intercepts and holds the radials of a VOR like a charm. But there are no amber (armed) conditions.
Say I fly with HDG and ALT HOLD and like to intercept a radial of a VOR station tuned on NAV1. So I select VOR/LOC on both FD and AP, and the AP indicators immediately turn green (they should only do when capturing the radial!). Also the HDG mode is not cancelled when getting in capturing range, this has to be done manually (same with glideslope intercept when on ALT HOLD).

IP Logged

CesarSMX

flight flight flight!!!!

Reply #71 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
hi there! i just bought this plane! and is awesome! but I just got a problem, in the first flight that i made, it was ok! but today i just went to fly! and after a random period of time! when i am taxiing, or just after take off, the FD, AP and NAV stop working! i just cant change mode select on FD, the plane doesn´t follow HDG, or ALT hold, and can´t change NAV FREQ, is something that i am missing??? i reinstalled it and didn`t changed,  also i was having a sound problem but i just reload the plane and i can hear everything.  hope that someone know something about this!. Greetings.

Windows 7 64b//Core i7 3770k OC 4.5GHz//8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz//ASUS GTX970 STRIX//ASUS P8Z77 V DELUXE // 27" ASUS  IPS//Logitech G940//CS757, CS767, CS727//FSGlobal2010, Reality Touchdown 2010, REX4, Taxi2Gate.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #72 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 1:54am
Print Post  
CesarSMX wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 11:17pm:
hi there! i just bought this plane! and is awesome! but I just got a problem, in the first flight that i made, it was ok! but today i just went to fly! and after a random period of time! when i am taxiing, or just after take off, the FD, AP and NAV stop working! i just cant change mode select on FD, the plane doesn´t follow HDG, or ALT hold, and can´t change NAV FREQ, is something that i am missing??? i reinstalled it and didn`t changed,  also i was having a sound problem but i just reload the plane and i can hear everything.  hope that someone know something about this!. Greetings.

You lost electrical power. The fix is to add electric_always_available=1 in the aircraft.cfg (open with windows notepad) like this:

[electrical]
electric_always_available=1
max_battery_voltage = 24.0
generator_alternator_voltage = 30.0
max_generator_alternator_amps = 400.0

It seems like some switch or button isn't in its correct position. I have turned that OFF (electric_always_available=0) in my aircraft.cfg and I no longer lose power.

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can have the power set to always be there too.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CesarSMX

flight flight flight!!!!

Reply #73 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Thanks Markoz. that fixed it, Now I just need to check my OC, lol.  Shocked

Windows 7 64b//Core i7 3770k OC 4.5GHz//8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz//ASUS GTX970 STRIX//ASUS P8Z77 V DELUXE // 27" ASUS  IPS//Logitech G940//CS757, CS767, CS727//FSGlobal2010, Reality Touchdown 2010, REX4, Taxi2Gate.

IP Logged

CesarSMX

flight flight flight!!!!

Reply #74 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:40am
Print Post  
CesarSMX wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:11am:
Thanks Markoz. that fixed it, Now I just need to check my OC, lol.  Shocked

ohh no! everything was fine until today!! even with "electric_always_available = 1", I am having that problem again!, i just turn on APU, and problem solved, I check batt gauge and  voltaje and amps are ok,  and yes i double check aircraft.cfg!  what is going on now???  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top