Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMS CTD (Read 31753 times)
Beachdog2001

Re: FMS CTD
Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Slowdive,

The problem for me is if I wait until I arrive near the destination and then input the runway.  You are going to get a discontinuity and if you if you close this you are likely going to get a crash, maybe even when you input the runway before you close the discontinuity, who knows?  No matter what changes you want to make in the FMC it is close your eyes, grit your teeth, and pray.  It is absolutely no fun whatsoever to fly this way.

Since all I do is fly for United-Virtual.com, it is back into the hanger for this aircraft until this is fixed.

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

elyab

Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:17am
Print Post  
And guess, what's going on if you fly online? It is like Stephen King Langolieres movie...
Seriously, the last time I've experienced CTD while approaching my destination airport after 4 hours flight a couple of days ago. I was directed by traffic control to different approach and RWY from those were inserted in FMC before... and just disappeared from their radars.

IP Logged

bearste

Reply #32 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Also, I have read that a few people have been able to merge the another company 767 panel with the CS 757 exterior model (with limited functionality), and I have both, so I might give it a shot.

Also, here are my system specs so maybe?! we can find a similar configuration that is causing problems, but I am certain it lies within the FMC code.

Vista 64
qx9450 @ 3.6
280 gtx x 2 SLI
790i Mobo
velociraptor HD
FSX SP2
4 MB ram

JB

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #33 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's got to be in their code and not a windows configuration thing as this airplane CTD's in both FS9 and FSX.

I would be interested to hear about a merge with another company. If there was a way to get the FMC replaced, that would be great.

Actually, if Captain Sim fixed it that would be even better.Wink

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #34 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Well I've been thinking about this bug and I think I've isolated the probem a bit and come up with a work-around. The entire problem seems to be with STAR's. So what I did was manually enter the STAR by hand and what do you know, I can use crossing restrictions, change and delete them and change approach and runways. I did multiple revisions and no crash. I know it's a pain to enter the STAR by hand, but it makes the airplane at least flyable until they fix the FMC.

I'd love for others to try this work-around and let me know if it works. So far so good on this end. The only catch is in my test flight I kept a discontinuity between the end of the STAR and the approach. Not too big of a deal really.

Ok. While I was posting this, I tried to close the discontinuity and it crashed. Ugh. I guess if you leave it open between the STAR and approach, you'll be ok. Dunno. Needs more testing.

Please please, CS, fix the FMC.

IP Logged

elyab

Reply #35 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Slowdive, as it was already mentioned in other topic, while choosing your departure/arrival runways don't select neither ILS_XX numbers nor SID/STARs. Scroll down to RWY numbers themselves and choose appropriate. In other words, IGNORE EVERYTHING on DEP/ARR page except "pure" RWY numbers for takeoff and landing. Don't worry about ILS frequencies & courses - they will appear correctly on INIT REF page. Then enter entire flight plan (including SIDs & STARs with their crossing restrictions) manually or import such a plan if you have one. Remove all discontinuities, complete your preflight procedures and fly away!  Smiley
Since I use this way - no CTD occurred for me.

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #36 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Elyab,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. When you say manually enter the SID, STAR, etc.. Do you mean input each waypoint that makeup those procedures or can I just select the STAR itself. I'm not sure how I would do that except through the arrival and departures page (put the name of the star into the route page?).

I'm fairly certain that if you don't use any of the pre-input STARS and approaches that it will not crash, but that is tedious.

BTW, what thread were you referring to?

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #37 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Ah, I guess you were referring to the main FMC thread. Ok.

So what you are saying is just input EVERYTHING manually. Ok. Yeah, I suspect that will work. What a drag though.

CS, please fix it.

Cry

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #38 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Elyab,

The problem with your solution comes when you need to change the arrival runway due to winds change while enroute or redirection due to ATC, 35L instead of 35R, etc.

If you choose the new runway and then close any discontinuities, whether entered manually or not,  the sim will instantly crash more often than not.

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #39 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Beachdog2001,

That's true, it most likely would crash. What I would do in that situation is just not change it in the FMC. Just lookup the new ILS info in the charts. Granted this is not ideal, but we don't have much of a choice unless CS fixes the problem.

At least we've sort of narrowed down where the problem is. It really shouldn't be that tough to go in and squash this bug.

IP Logged

elyab

Reply #40 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Beachdog2001,
I agree with you - my solution prevents possible crashes at preflight phase and any changes to active flight plan later in most cases aren't accepted by (*CS757.FMS* ?).
What I suggest to try is to load RTE2 the same plan as RTE1 but with different approach and runway and to activate it on approach if needed.
Anyway I'll try it...

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #41 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Hey, that's a great thought. I wonder if you could just use RTE1 and RTE2 and ping pong back and forth if you needed to make changes? I usually don't use that functionality so I'm not sure.

Of course then you couldn't use the RTE2 functionality as intended, but it's better than not being able to fly the plane.

Heh, I was just thinking, I'll bet we've expended more time and energy in this thread than CS has looking at the bug. Sad.

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #42 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
There are many things that cause this CTD, not just a change of runway.  If you change an altitude crossing restriction...bam, CTD, if you change a speed restriction...bam CTD, if you change???...bam CTD.

Everytime I need a make any change whatsoever, it is like an ax hanging over my head that could drop at any moment.

I am sorry, but this is not what I think is fun nor what I fly for...aircraft is now in the hanger until this and a lot of other things are fixed.  Part of this problem may have to do with it being a port over from FS9, hence the need for FSUIPC.  I think that until they come out with a true FSX version, we are going to have these kind of problems.

If CS thinks this only effects a few people and therefore is not worth looking at, then so be it..it is their product and their reputation.

IP Logged

bhodges61

Reply #43 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I get the same problem when putting in a restriction or closing a discontinuity.

IP Logged

bearste

Reply #44 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, back again...been doing some testing, and as soon as I find a "possible suitable outcome", the CTD pops up and bites me in the @ss!

I've tried everything, and now I am getting it again with no flight plan and adjusting the ZFW or Cost Index.

JB

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top