Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 25 BULLITIN : UFO SIGHTED BY REAL COMMERCIAL AIRLINE (Read 44200 times)
JetRanger

JETRANGER

BULLITIN : UFO SIGHTED BY REAL COMMERCIAL AIRLINE
Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
BULLITIN : UFO Sighted by real commercial Airlines Pilot over Kansas City Missouri - USA - 8/1/2012 , news article -----} http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/local-ufo-investigator-talked-to-man-abo...

YouTube  
IP Logged

dbhally
Beta Team

Re: BULLITIN : UFO SIGHTED BY REAL COMMERCIAL AIRLINE
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I'm a believer...

it's kinda selfish of us imo to think that we are alone in the Universe. I could go on and on...

thanks for sharing Smiley

Dave

IP Logged

Pvjinflight

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Yes we definitely are not alone in the universe, I don't believe that earth would be center of everything and only place with life as there are so huge amount of planets where life could have also developed. But I think if there was any life from outer space around this exact planet we would know it already, so honestly I don't really believe that any of these seen UFOs have been actual aliens.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Pvjinflight wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:01pm:
Yes we definitely are not alone in the universe, I don't believe that earth would be center of everything and only place with life as there are so huge amount of planets where life could have also developed. But I think if there was any life from outer space around this exact planet we would know it already, so honestly I don't really believe that any of these seen UFOs have been actual aliens.

Technically, we have no indication, nor any true scientific proof that life may exist outside of earth, or our solar system. The fact is, whatever force caused life to begin (which shall forever be a mystery) it is quite possible that those conditions caused life to sprout here, and that it has not occured elsewhere in the universe. The nearest star is 8 light years away (proxima centauri) and it has no planets, therefore nowhere for life to exist. The nearest star with planets is probably 50 light years away, and those planets may not have the right life-supporting conditions. Plus, if life was first generated here, it would takes millions of years for any vessel, be it comet or asteroid, to make it to the next habitable location, and all that time is in the lifeless, near absolute zero conditions of deep space. I believe it is entirely possible that no life exists outside of our solar system, and if there is, the chances of that life being as intelligent or more than humans is incredibly slim. Take the 8.7 million species projected to live on earth, only one out of 8.7 million is intelligent enough to do what we do. Now say there is another race outside of earth just like us, or more intelligent, why would they invest their resources and hundred of thousands (to millions) of year traveling across the expanse of lifeless space, only to reach earth, flash by in a few minutes, and leave? That is the question. That is why I think they don't exist. Lightspeed travel is impossible for living beings, therefore the time spent is to great for any intelligent beings to not stop here, and make contact, or at least linger to observe.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Peter, mind the paragraphs, please.
Quote:
The nearest star is 8 light years away (proxima centauri) and it has no planets

Wikipedia says 4.2, so they would save half of the fuel!  Cheesy

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Here's some friendly fellow being told that humans live on Earth.

But more seriously. CloudSurfer, what was the year when that took place? And guys, don't forget to ask Lou about some impressions. He was up there at 40.000ft for longer and talked to other pilots. If he doesn't tell you, he's one of them!  Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
More on perspective is here. Not so much on topic, I admit.  Undecided But perhaps some of the distances and sizes come to life for you folks (or just blow your minds, that's what happened here). Great video in my eyes.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
CoolP is right!

As an amateur astronomer for more than 60 years  Shocked  I can tell you that your eyes can play many tricks on you that in your mind will be "real."

Countless times pilots call ATC calling out traffic, and it turns out to be Venus or Jupiter. Venus by the way is the third brightest object in the sky after the sun and the moon. Venus will cast shadows on a very dark night. As the planet rises, it changes color rapidly and flashes as the atmosphere bends or refracts the light. I wish I had a buck for each time a pilot would mistake one of the bright planets for a plane. When your eyes have little to focus on the muscles in the eye will make fast movements which can be interpreted as movement of the object.

I would love to encounter an "ET" and wonder how that would go. Maybe something like this...

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Peter, just for the record Proxima Centauri is 4.22 light years away, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.  Huh

Lou  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

dbhally
Beta Team

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
We have only explored a tiny fraction of what our solar system consists of. I think it's a bit premature to rule out life outside of our planet, here in our own system.

Please take no offence but how would anyone know what some (supposed) advance civilization is capable of? We've had some technology for...100 years or so? they could have been at it for millions!!!

We're all stuck in our little bubble, sending out tiny "feelers". IMO we know very little, even when it comes to our home.

"It's a basic function of our universe to become aware of itself."~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Dave

IP Logged

Pvjinflight

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
701151 wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:33pm:

Technically, we have no indication, nor any true scientific proof that life may exist outside of earth, or our solar system. The fact is, whatever force caused life to begin (which shall forever be a mystery) it is quite possible that those conditions caused life to sprout here, and that it has not occured elsewhere in the universe. The nearest star is 8 light years away (proxima centauri) and it has no planets, therefore nowhere for life to exist. The nearest star with planets is probably 50 light years away, and those planets may not have the right life-supporting conditions. Plus, if life was first generated here, it would takes millions of years for any vessel, be it comet or asteroid, to make it to the next habitable location, and all that time is in the lifeless, near absolute zero conditions of deep space. I believe it is entirely possible that no life exists outside of our solar system, and if there is, the chances of that life being as intelligent or more than humans is incredibly slim. Take the 8.7 million species projected to live on earth, only one out of 8.7 million is intelligent enough to do what we do. Now say there is another race outside of earth just like us, or more intelligent, why would they invest their resources and hundred of thousands (to millions) of year traveling across the expanse of lifeless space, only to reach earth, flash by in a few minutes, and leave? That is the question. That is why I think they don't exist. Lightspeed travel is impossible for living beings, therefore the time spent is to great for any intelligent beings to not stop here, and make contact, or at least linger to observe.

I believe that there is no magical force that is needed to start life, but instead life can start anywhere where conditions for it are good enough. There are so huge amount of planets in the universe that surely somewhere there are many earth like planets with water and other things that have made life on earth possible. I can't see why life couldn't develop in those places too.

Amount of planets is simply so very huge that there must be probably millions of planets out there that could support life. Also maybe it doesn't even require exactly earth like conditions to happen, who knows. Also some forms of life surely could sustain travelling speed of flight.

And like said I don't believe that there are or have ever been aliens on this planet, but I highly believe that they do exist somewhere. Just any planet with water, right resources and right distance from nearest star/stars could have life.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Pvjinflight wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:16pm:
701151 wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:33pm:

I believe that there is no magical force that is needed to start life, but instead life can start anywhere where conditions for it are good enough. There are so huge amount of planets in the universe that surely somewhere there are many earth like planets with water and other things that have made life on earth possible. I can't see why life couldn't develop in those places too.

Amount of planets is simply so very huge that there must be probably millions of planets out there that could support life. Also maybe it doesn't even require exactly earth like conditions to happen, who knows. Also some forms of life surely could sustain travelling speed of flight.

And like said I don't believe that there are or have ever been aliens on this planet, but I highly believe that they do exist somewhere. Just any planet with water, right resources and right distance from nearest star/stars could have life.

The problem is that once at the speed of light, and object's mass becomes infinite, therefore, any life form would be instantly killed because its mass would be so great that it would exceed any organism's limits, and therefore, it would die. A Whale dies on land because its mass is too great to be supported by anything other than a liquid fluid.

But that is the great mystery of life, not the conditions, no, those are things that can happen anywhere, any time. Rather, it is how the structure of the first life form, a simple single-celled prokaryotic cell came to be with a coil of DNA with the right codings for life, ribosomes, a cell wall, cell membrane, plasmids, and cytoplasm, and how that structure began to function as a single living form that was capable of taking in nutrients, processing them, and reproducing itself by mitosis all at once. I'm by no means denying the existance or possibility of e.t life and it starting in unrelated places, but that once miraculous event in which the first life form started, what made it start, and how it survived is the mystery. We look at artistic devices that people make, magnetic coils that change shape through their own inertia and opposite polls, and how that thing can only assume the exact same shape once; how now to snow flakes are alike, how not a single non-living thing in the universe can form and create more than formations in a nearly identical fashion (let alone as something that is routine like reporduction) more than once (that one time being the original, or an example of that thing, i.e. a mountain). It is with this that I say that through the extreme, harsh, and unpredictable course of mother nature, that it is entirely possible that whatever caused life to begin one day, may only have happened once, and perhaps we are lucky, because that one original cell survived, for if it didn't, we may well all be just atoms floating in oblivion.

Thats my two cents. Not denying the possiblity of e.t life, just pointing out my opinion based on what I have learned, and what seems like 'common knowledge' everywhere else.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:27am
Print Post  
With the universe being filled with trillions of trillions of stars, of which many may have planets that we cannot see through telescopes (obviously). Some must have life on them. There must be other life out there. I can't accept that we are alone in such a massive universe.

It may not be in the forms that we are familiar with, although we have an amazingly vast assortment here on Earth, so who are we to say that they don't exist out there somewhere. If the universe is billions of years old (big bang theory time), other beings may be far more advanced than we are. Just look how much humankind has advanced in the last 100-200 years! It is truly amazing.

To say we are alone in this vast universe is to have a closed mind. We are probably not alone. And if they do exist, why, pray tell, would they want to make themselves known to us? Humans are very destructive to other humans (there is always a war going on somewhere), how much worse would we be to an alien life form? If the aliens turned out to be like the aliens in the movie Independence Day, then we would really have something to worry about! So IF they are really there, and IF they are watching/observing us, then they may be no threat to our existence. Truth is, they probably think we'll destroy ourselves anyway, so they will probably amuse themselves by watching us do it.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Guys, to be honest, I would literally die knowing that we are the zenith of evolution in that big universe. And we all know what caused alien lifeforms to officially keep away from Earth so far. The taxes are too darn high!  Grin

Quote:
The problem is that once at the speed of light, and object's mass becomes infinite, therefore, any life form would be instantly killed because its mass would be so great that it would exceed any organism's limits, and therefore, it would die. A Whale dies on land because its mass is too great to be supported by anything other than a liquid fluid.

Peter, could it be that you mix up the basic formula from Einstein? E = mc^2

What's becoming very big (not infinite) is the energy needed to reach light speed with a given mass. That's because the speed of light squared (c^2) is such a big number that even a small mass (m) will receive a huge gain, resulting in a large amount of energy. Well, even with that in mind, we already know stuff reaching the speed of light, right?
I think I know what you might have had in mind with the 'mass' you are defining as becoming infinite. However, you've mixed that up. The 'm' isn't altered and the photons hitting your face won't harm you, don't worry.

But perhaps one has to think outside the box on some occasions and we mortal beings of course don't discuss Einstein's ways in detail. Only few people on the planet do or even can.

But, apart from that (and besides the evidence from Lou), please explain how Mr. Spock got his hands on some US made (well, means Chinese Cheesy) flight computer.  Shocked http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/1196208102/

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:27am:
If the aliens turned out to be like the aliens in the movie Independence Day, then we would really have something to worry about!

Right, Mark. The first thing to happen would be some EU guy knocking at the door of that spaceship and wanting to talk about the carbon dioxide emissions of that thing.  Cheesy

'Look, Sir, I don't care if you have six eyes and twelve arms, we do care about our planet (when it comes to taxes)! Besides, seems like your parking skills are a bit off!'

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
My faith belief is that there may be other physical life out there in this vast universe,but that in this life we will not be permitted to have contact with them.I believe there are spirit forms of life that we are aware of,both good and bad,but both physical and spiritual forms are created beings,just my 2 cents Wink Wink
Ron

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I see some of you adding a bit of religious principles to the discussion. Nothing wrong with that, just noticing.

On something completely different, I really love the idea of this piece of art.

Find the details here, but I'm sure you saw that one before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record A very nice, a very positive approach of thinking and story is attached to it and, if you like, try to decipher the prints on that disk without looking it up of course.

There also was a funny/controversy story in regard to the times when they sent it, perhaps you find it. As a tip, the Pioneer drawing contains it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque

Remember, it was meant to transport the vital things about humanity to another intelligent (assuming humans being intelligent too  Cheesy) life form. Now how cool is that? And it's still out there!  Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Peter, read about string theory & membranes. Maybe no need to go so fast?  Roll Eyes

The sun is made up of mostly hydrogen gas, but the extreme gravitational pressure at the core turns the gas into something very different - plasma. The pressure is so great, and temperatures so high (around 15 million Kelvin) that the simple atoms of hydrogen fuse to create helium. During the process of this fusion reaction a small amount of mass is lost in the form of a photon, about .7 %. Even though this is a small number, it is times C (the speed of light). This results in a very large amount of energy being released.

The photons created during the fusion process deep in the core of the sun can take thousands of years to reach the surface of the sun and go on their journey into space, where eight minutes later they reach us as light.  In one second, our sun produces enough energy for almost 500,000 years of the current needs of our planet. As CoolP showed in the video our sun is just a small stable star which is good for us.

Every thing we touch and us as well came from the evolution of stars. Everything on the periodic table was created in a star and during the death of a star. We are stardust!  Cool

Maybe this should be astronomy 101... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQu_RRLbVDA

We really know so little!  Embarrassed

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #16 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
First of all, nice use of Monty Python, second, I took AP Chemistry, so I know a fair amount about all this. But the fact is all this stuff that has to come together for a life form to begin is amazing, and its hard to imagine how it started on its own, at all. We'll never know the answer really. Plus, even if there is life outside of our solar system, the question is: Will it be intelligent like us?

The thing is I'm not denying that life could have formed elsewhere, but what I stated points out that fact that the forces of mother nature (which really encompass the entire universe) are so great and so varied, that there are never two mountains like each other, two canyons like each other, no two snowflakes alike, no two stars, planets, asteroids, or veins of gold ever coem out identical. With all this great variation, when something as complicated as the life form comes into play, it cannot be ignored that it is entirely possible that whatever caused life to begin, in the event that a higher power was not in play, could easily have only happened once. Because all we needed, and all we had was a single cell that came to life, and now look at the world we live in. The entire world is one ecosystem, covered in life, both plant, animal, and fungi, and all this was the result of over a billion years of evolution from one single prokaryotic cell. If that doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will.

The other amazing thing about life is that unlike mother nature's forces, the thing we all share, all living organisms, DNA is able to reproduce a species of life form, and its ability to do that endlessly and result in products that are so similar in structure, in function, and in look is the greatest amazement in the universe. You can argue that no two fingerprints are completely alike, and no two tigers have the same stripe pattern but below, they are so similar, so perfect, that I believe that all that made this come to be could hardly have been the work of anything other than the higher being, but if it was mother nature's doing, it cannot be put away that one single event was all that happened. Our universe was one single event, and explosion of energy that infinitely expands (big bang) and life may just have been a big bang, all we needed was one event, and our earth is the garden of eden (so-to-speak).

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #17 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Don't praise mother nature too much, she will bite at times and doesn't care about creatures thinking they are intelligent but sometimes acting.. differently.  Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #18 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
701151 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:58pm:
Plus, even if there is life outside of our solar system, the question is: Will it be intelligent like us?

I hope not since I'd actually like to receive an answer on how to e.g. stop wars about fictional resources (money) or the ones needed for running our 'modern' machines. But I'm afraid the answer could be 'Dear humans, your problem on the wars will, within a short time, solve itself. So long and thanks for all the fish!'  Cheesy Undecided

More on the topic. I wonder how you guys define the word life. As said, I'm noticing religious influences in some answers and phrases. Surely being poetic at times.
On the scientific view, I personally don't know if the focus on 'needs water, needs the same conditions as on Earth' helps when it comes to all (imaginable) forms. We can surely look for water and then hope for some kind of life form, even former ones, being somehow similar to what we know. This makes sense because you not only have to find it, but you also should be able to detect it.

But if you think away from the carbon based life forms, the possibilities are unimaginable big and even the value of intelligence is something being hard to measure. You'll find very intelligent patterns in bacteria, a virus or parasites, not all of them being understood and you certainly wouldn't relate the word intelligence to a single occurrence of those forms.

Well, to say it with some greater words. You gotta know what you are looking for in order to find it. Focus on the wrong thing and you may pass by new forms of life without even noticing. Hence the question from above, what is life?

As a help, you could look into what projects like SETI define as their 'patterns' since just recording all possible signals ends up with a truckload (or two  Grin) of data and little to no use.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:31pm:
701151 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:58pm:
Plus, even if there is life outside of our solar system, the question is: Will it be intelligent like us?

I hope not since I'd actually like to receive an answer on how to e.g. stop wars about fictional resources (money) or the ones needed for running our 'modern' machines. But I'm afraid the answer could be 'Dear humans, your problem on the wars will, within a short time, solve itself. So long and thanks for all the fish!'  Cheesy Undecided

More on the topic. I wonder how you guys define the word life. As said, I'm noticing religious influences in some answers and phrases. Surely being poetic at times.
On the scientific view, I personally don't know if the focus on 'needs water, needs the same conditions as on Earth' helps when it comes to all (imaginable) forms. We can surely look for water and then hope for some kind of life form, even former ones, being somehow similar to what we know. This makes sense because you not only have to find it, but you also should be able to detect it.

But if you think away from the carbon based life forms, the possibilities are unimaginable big and even the value of intelligence is something being hard to measure. You'll find very intelligent patterns in bacteria, a virus or parasites, not all of them being understood and you certainly wouldn't relate the word intelligence to a single occurrence of those forms.

Well, to say it with some greater words. You gotta know what you are looking for in order to find it. Focus on the wrong thing and you may pass by new forms of life without even noticing. Hence the question from above, what is life?

As a help, you could look into what projects like SETI define as their 'patterns' since just recording all possible signals ends up with a truckload (or two  Grin) of data and little to no use.

Problem is that carbon happens to be the single most perfect element for creating life forms. Why? Because it has a low mass, and it has four valence electrons, which allow it to be both stable, abundant, and allow for the bonding of more carbons, and as a result, everything else.

Lets look at elements, and atoms (one in the same). An atom can have at most, 8 electrons in its valence ring (the farthest out from the nucleus), with the exception of hydrogen and helium, who only have two (since their valence ring is the first ring, and all first rings have only two). Now an element with one electron in the valence ring is incredibly unstable, because it seeks 7 more to complete the out ring, therefore, it likes bonding with group 17 elements, to form a stable compund, such as NaCl (salt). Now natrually occuring elements in group 1 (except helium) are incredibly unstable, and are explosive, especially in water. That is why they are contained in oil while in their natural state. Although these group 1 elements, called Alkali metals, are metals, they hardly are compared to iron and gold. Group 2 (alkali earth metals) are relatively reactive, at standard temperature, to other metals, and flammible (magnesium). Now lets skip ahead, since all the metals aren't a source for compounds in organisms. Boron, group 13, is a transition metal, and therefore also not suitable for life-compounds. Therefore, our very first non-metal is carbon. His four valence rings (at total of 6 electrons) make him very stable, and allow him to bond to many things, be it hydrogen, iron, more carbon, etc. A carbon atom could bond with for more carbon atoms, and each carbon after that could bond to one, and all the open places in those rings could fill up with hydrogen. Because of this, the possibilites of carbon are endless, because it can bond with more like it, and with other non-metals, and gases like H, or O, or N to make very complex compounds, which can thus form proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and the other molecules responsible for life. Plus, carbon can have double bonds, peptide bonds, and other types of complex bonds to make rigid structures, which help in teh construction of things such as a cell wall (plants). the only other element.

All other elements in group 14 (the carbon group) are either transition metals, or metals. These are unsuitable for life compounds. It is theorized that silicon could be a base for life, other than carbon, because of its lower weight, less metallic properties, and similarities to carbon (i.e. four valence electrons). However silicon, because it is a transition metal, is unable to form chemical bonds with other atoms, therefore making it unable to be a useful base for metabolic processes, which require chemicals (which exist throughout the universe, since the laws of our universe are essentially universal, pun intended). Because of silicons increased mass, it forms compounds that are bulkier and "monotonous compared with the combinatorial universe of organic macromolecules". Silicon's greater mass and atomic radius makes it very difficult for it to form a double bond with another element.

Carbon is the perfect, and in the eyes of most scientists, the only base for life.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Peter, I have to apologise to you. It's always a bit tricky to transport a message as it seems.

Again, sorry, but that's just from your lengthy answers on some buzz words. The last one was carbon I guess. While I'm sure that your teacher for the chemical stuff will love you for that, the physics guy still wonders what happened before.  Cheesy

However, if you find the time, perhaps take a look on the full post which, intentionally, transports a message like 'think outside the box'. Well, I'm not the only one stating it, but it still seems like it's hard to see. My fault. Undecided

Ah, that's life, isn't it?  Smiley

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #21 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
pj747 said: Carbon is the perfect, and in the eyes of most scientists, the only base for life.

Peter, I would add, "that we know of!"

Again, my attempt at a cartoon...  Roll Eyes

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Good cartoon, Lou.  Smiley By the way, I sometimes think my PC is alive since it acts like my girlfriend. Works fine on one day, is a beast at others although nothing has changed. Wait, chemicals again, huh? No silicon in my gf. Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I don't know if you've seen the old movie, The Power of Ten.

Very good look into our makeup, and I mean the whole universe.

Look at your desk that the confuser is sitting on. It looks solid, right. Well it is full of empty space. Think of it like the empty space much like the space between our sun the the planets. The nucleus of the atom is surrounded by its cloud of electrons flying around at a great distance with a lot of empty space. That is why, when a star goes novae and collapses into a neutron star, a lot of the empty space is squished down but, it still has most of its mass but in a very small diameter. A spoon full of that neutron star could weigh millions of tons.

As poor Alice said in wonderland, it's curiouser and curiouser!  

Lou  Huh

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Peter may have already mentioned something like this, but anyway, the odds of life existing independently on other planets (I say independently, because, since the discovery of tardigrades, which can survive in space, the theory that life can be transmitted on asteroids has gained more support) is extremely slim. I don't know if you've heard of the Anthropic Principle, but basically, it says that because the odds for life existing are so astronomical (I don't remember the number, but it might have been over a billion to one), the Universe is fine-tuned for life to develop somewhere, perhaps to observe the Universe, since quantum dynamics states that particles behave differently when observed. And if we were the first life forms, then that fine-tuning might no longer apply (there's obviously really not a lot of scientific evidence for the Anthropic Principle so it's hard to say how it works if it turns out to be an actual function of the Universe), and the fact that the odds of life developing are so slim, it's not inconceivable that life on Earth is the only life in the Universe.

However, extraterrestrial life, even if it developed from the same kind of microscopic organisms as life did on Earth, would be vastly different from life on Earth. The development of brains capable of invention and scientific curiosity would be statistically impossible, and even if organisms did develop brains, they would not design space ships with lights and other features similar to those that we equip Earth vehicles with. On a completely different planet with completely different organisms, natural selection would take organisms down a very different path.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 12:47am
Print Post  
There is some oddness in the discussion. I'm not talking about the different opinions of each individual. That's actually the interesting part and the one to learn about. No, it's more about the ways some things get communicated.

boeing247 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:28pm:
the odds of life existing independently on other planets (..) is extremely slim.

A very vague expression, 'extremely slim'. Perhaps we would have to ask to which level of 'extremely slim' you refer. So the odds that a modern plane crashes are extremely slim, the odds of winning in the lottery are and, as you say, the ones for e.t. life. Same expression, most likely different levels. Which one to pick?

Did those chances ever receive a defined number? Is there something like a consensus on that number?

We've detected some billions of stars out there, but, as of now, we are on some 777 planets which we were able to detect. Read it again if you like. 777 in the year 2012. We have sent some vehicles to the closest ones in our solar system and we are eager to sent some more to e.g. look for water or ice probes as we are not sure, from just observing, if there is or was any form of life on the moons of Jupiter for example.

I don't know what those numbers will tell you, but I do know that some human beings are well aware that knowledge consists of two levels. The one you have and the one you need to form up something in the means of awareness.

Quote:
I don't know if you've heard of the Anthropic Principle, but basically, it says that because the odds for life as we know it existing are so astronomical (I don't remember the number, but it might have been over a billion to one), the Universe is fine-tuned for life to develop somewhere, perhaps to observe the Universe, since quantum dynamics states that particles behave differently when observed.

Please don't make sentences that long, they are hard to read.  Undecided I know about AP and one main phrase is missing. I've added it to your sentence. This may slightly change the context.  Smiley

Quote:
And if we were the first life forms

After the vague stuff, there seems to be a more defined status. What makes you think that you might be the first life form? Why not the second, the one after one billion or, in the eyes of a totally different being, no life form at all?

If you alter some reference frame very slightly, you and I are just about the same as the monkey in some lab, being degraded to another form of life, the one we run tests on. Altering the reference frame some more, perhaps on the time scale, the root of human existence could hardly be detected or even differentiated from some planetary elements.

Now we do know a bit about what lead to the development of human skills, but we have no idea about other reference frames than our own. It's not that we have to force ourselves to 'think alien'. No, it's just about being aware that we may always 'think human', therefore blocking some paths for our minds and, later, acting.

Quote:
and the fact that the odds of life developing are so slim, it's not inconceivable that life on Earth is the only life in the Universe.

Mind your first sentence and the left out phrase, life 'as we know it'. Speaking of facts would be scientific but always applies to a state of current knowledge. Not many years ago, nobody expected life at extremely hot, acid or otherwise life-threatening places on our own planet. It took some folks to actually look up those places and.. find life. So within a short amount of time, facts were changed.

Combining the word odds and facts in one sentence often makes no sense. The one thing is an assumption, which can be made mathematically, on a rhetoric level or e.g. by religious 'laws' in place. The other one sums up what does exist, what is explored or just states, as a fact, that we don't know yet.

Quote:
However, extraterrestrial life, even if it developed from the same kind of microscopic organisms as life did on Earth, would be vastly different from life on Earth. The development of brains capable of invention and scientific curiosity would be statistically impossible, and even if organisms did develop brains, they would not design space ships with lights and other features similar to those that we equip Earth vehicles with. On a completely different planet with completely different organisms, natural selection would take organisms down a very different path.

That's the one paragraph I can relate to. However, it features a very human centric viewpoint. That's not a problem as long as you don't lock yourself (your mind and thinking) out by just wondering if there could be 'something like humans' out there, forgetting about all the other possibilities.

There's also one disturbing part. The way to relate intelligence to something which is only possible with a human-alike development. The mind is blocked for anything being outside of that frame. You may not be able to see it, even if it was right in front of you.

Don't get that wrong, in evolution theory, it makes sense to rely on former experiences and then develop improved ways. But even evolution cuts some corners and if you are looking for another, for a new life, you may have to leave behind those ways you got so used to. This starts with the thinking and surely is a major limiting factor in science.

Finally, to assume that being 'capable of invention and scientific curiosity' is something only being bound to 'our' ways of life, here on earth, may even contradict the statement itself.  Undecided

Quoting another member because he's posted a beautiful closing sentence.
dbhally wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:01pm:
We're all stuck in our little bubble, sending out tiny "feelers". IMO we know very little, even when it comes to our home.

"It's a basic function of our universe to become aware of itself."~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #26 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 1:01am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:11pm:
I don't know if you've seen the old movie, The Power of Ten.

Great one! Also fits well into the 'frame view' approach.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #27 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:28am
Print Post  
CoolP, you seem to have completely misinterpreted my point.  Wink

Well, not completely. I was being human-centric, but that's because, let's face it, building spacecraft to visit other planets is a very human idea. My point was that, if life exists elsewhere, it wouldn't be [b]life as we know it[b], which means that it probably wouldn't be building spaceships to come visit us in.

I didn't talk about life as we know it, because the odds of that developing on other planets are nearly nonexistent, and if life exists in a completely different form from humans, then the whole UFO and extraterrestrial visitor points are moot, because life like that wouldn't be exploring the cosmos.

And the reason I said "extremely slim" is because the odds are something like a billion to one or more, and I didn't want to look it up. But to give you an idea, The Physics Book (which is a great book, by the way), says that if the rapid expansion that occurred one second after the big bang had been one part in one thousand million million (not sure what number that's supposed to be) off, the Universe would either have collapsed in on itself, or would have expanded too rapidly for subatomic particles to form atoms.

(And sorry for my apposition-filled, extraordinarily long sentences. I think I'm going to break the comma key on my keyboard pretty soon  Grin)

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:28am:
CoolP, you seem to have completely misinterpreted my point.  Wink

Apologies. But you should work on the better understanding for your readers. Well, you are not posting for yourself, right?

Quote:
My point was that, if life exists elsewhere, it wouldn't be [b]life as we know it[b], which means that it probably wouldn't be building spaceships to come visit us in.

I can't agree or disagree. I just don't know about the motives, regardless of the direction of thinking. So stating that they would travel is as wrong as stating the opposite. But that's the very nature of the unknown stuff and no news I guess.

I even think that 'spaceships' limits you on the thought level. We may call it traveling since it leaves open the ways of the actual process. I could also think of not doing it in person but sending surrogates in all directions. And some science fiction authors had a nice idea about, indeed, not traveling aliens but ones making sure that we develop in the lines they had in mind. Means that, sooner or later, we will come to them, not matter what.

Thoughts are free, that's the idea.

Quote:
I didn't talk about life as we know it, because the odds of that developing on other planets are nearly nonexistent,

Yes, you did state that before. And there's no problem with that Bram's theorem. It's just that you wanted to prove your point with using a more known name, of another theory (AP). But that special one just refers to life as we know it and the odds involved so it doesn't fit your more universal case.

Perhaps make more clear what you are talking about and cite other people's theories in full context if they are meant to support you.  Smiley

Quote:
But to give you an idea, The Physics Book (which is a great book, by the way), says that if the rapid expansion that occurred one second after the big bang had been one part in one thousand million million (not sure what number that's supposed to be) off, the Universe would either have collapsed in on itself, or would have expanded too rapidly for subatomic particles to form atoms.

Interesting. But I'm sure that the book calls it the big bang theory for a reason and I don't understand what the uniqueness of the assumed process is able to prove. Does it say 'only humans can come out of it?' or does it restrict life to a single planet? I haven't read that one but I doubt your book states anything like that.

I still have your sentence with the 'if we were the first life forms' in mind. How did you come to that thinking? That book? Doubts.

Besides, how would you personally justify any space programs looking for life on other planets or using large antennae arrays and a lot of computer power to just scan random signals for signs of intelligent transmissions? It's not like we send our spaceships out for developing PTFE coated cooking equipment as it seems.

And why did people at NASA, experts on their case, use such things and others? http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1343918518/14#14

You may like to read about the background and the people involved. Some of the names will surely be known as very intelligent persons with a scientific background. So how come they kept pushing the programs up to now? Dreaming? Or do they look 'at the odds' in a different way?  Roll Eyes Just asking because there's a lot of tax money involved and they usually have to justify exactly that.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
All I'm saying is that, if life were to develop on other planets, it would be very different from life on Earth. Because it would have gone down a completely different evolutionary timeline, it is extremely unlikely that life with intelligence such as ours (a brain that makes the organism want to explore and possibly contact extraterrestrial life) would evolve. That makes me seriously doubt the validity of claims that say aliens have come in ships that are usually said to be made out of metal and are covered in lights that resemble Earth-made lights.

I wasn't actually using the Anthropic Principle to prove my point, I was actually using the same evidence that supports the AP (that the odds of life forming anywhere are astronomical).

And the "if we were the first life forms" was just me musing on the Anthropic Principle. I was just saying that, perhaps, if the Anthropic Principle is designed to create beings that can observe the Universe, then if Earth were the first place that life developed, then perhaps it wouldn't need to develop on other planets, and it wouldn't. But that is far beyond the realm of today's science, so I'm totally speculating.  Wink

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #30 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Well said. Although Vulcans and star trek are all fantasies and make-believe, it is all possible that in teh extreme rare event that another living race in space who is equal to or exceeding us in technology has no emotion, or no drive to discover.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #31 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Something makes me think that you folks are afraid of something.  Grin

SETI projects are running all day long, humanity sends out spacecraft for looking at the planets they can reach, we have some probes flying for decades with the intention to transport knowledge to whoever may find them and then we have two guys trying to cite science and 'forgetting' about vital phrases.
No problem with that, but if a theory speaks about 'life as we know it', it's of no use for other cases, right?   Cool

While I'm sure that the two of you did get this, I seriously wonder what's blocking you. Even more so since I'm talking to very young fellows of course.  Undecided

However, to be read with a  Tongue in mind.
701151 wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
it is all possible that (..) another living race in space who is equal to or exceeding us in technology has no emotion, or no drive to discover.

No need to travel that far. I see two individuals right in front of me with no emotion, or no drive to discover.  Grin Please, join the humans again, Bram and Peter.  Smiley

We are having loads of fun dancing around that monolith.  Cheesy

I'm the one with the hair all over the body and the monkey walk. Wait!  Shocked

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #32 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I remember that movie, very nice, interesting from a 60's point of view. Although the ending was veeery weird.

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #33 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Weird is an understatement and I feel your pain, or at least felt it. When I saw it the first time, I really had nothing about it which I thought I could ever like. Turns out, I was watching it without.. watching it. Sounds completely nuts but one can like and even adore some elements, not only on the technical side of things when it comes to the actual age of that film.

Well, to stay on the weird impression. That scene alone may come in very weird if somebody doesn't know the film, right? The monkeys (or is apes correct? I don't know) and the monolith. Loud and.. weird. You name it.

But I wonder if there is any modern science fiction being that full of a message and less full of great CGI stuff or dramatic changes in the story. A part of me thinks that the focus on the cool effects has robbed quite some films the atmosphere or mood.

Hey, you've left one question open, CloudSurfer. When took that thing place you are describing here? Wait, where is your post? Deleted?  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #34 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 2:54am
Print Post  
You can talk and throw all the scientific mumbo jumbo you like. I still say we are not alone in the universe, regardless of what the scientists may say. Scientists DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, so they could be wrong. It's that plain and simple. Besides, what they tell us, is nothing more than their conclusions based their study of their field of science and many scientists studying the same field, disagree. How can that be? After all, they are studying the same thing. Huh

So the scientists may be right, or they may be wrong, but we'll only know if and when we eventually make contact with them. In the mean time, I'm on the side that there is life on other planets, in other solar systems, in other galaxies, that we don't even know about yet. Chances are that we will have destroyed this planet and ourselves before that happens.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #35 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Mark, you shouldn't allow the misinterpretation of the folks to distract you. In science, you will hardly find two opinions being the same. Often enough, and especially on the topics with a lot of assumptions included, they will even contradict each other. That's the very nature of science.

Well, if you ever saw two professors discussing items, you get to know how wrong a public audience sums up the word 'discussion' by the way. It's not arguing, it's the very essence of progress, of doubt, of force to drive curiosity. And all those theories we sometimes relate to being facts are the outcome of such discussions. A current consensus (somehow) and science will always look for later proof (or disproof), whereas religion postulates to already 'have proven'.

I absolutely agree to your personal viewpoint when it comes to the chances for being the only life in space. I must admit though, I don't want that to be true of course. So I'm biased. In fact, I would be robbed of a lot of my personal motivation and hope if there ever was a proof that the humans are the the most advanced life in the universe and that Earth is the only living sphere.

Even more so since I've developed an aversion against anthropocentrism which, by the way, our two friends may show in a more or less severe manner. That fact alone is a shame and you folks can expect me to really wonder about the reasons for that (in my eyes) very wrong attitude. Especially among the younger folks.

Carl Sagan once warned people about developing that attitude, but that's from decades back. So seeing 'fresh' minds coming up with it (or tendencies) is a warning sign of some kind. As mentioned before, it blocks a huge amount of paths for the mind and sort of acts as an opponent of open science. Hence his warning, so it's not about not tolerating other opinions. Everyone is free to block himself.  Cheesy

But, to be more on your post, you are once again true. Some scientist may end up in a sort of 'I know it all, even the unknown' attitude, leading to follow-up attitudes of all kind, including to look at non scientists as being unworthy to even comprehend simple things.

Lets say those aren't the guys we can look up to. But we do have some interesting minds in our society and those folks do have a sense for 'knowing that we know nothing'. They also bring in some idealism or skepticism, which, again, is vital for science to continue in all possible directions.

By the way. I'm sure you folks know this one special photograph. I'll leave it here and the text from NASA. Can you spot the Earth, can you see 'us'?  Roll Eyes

Quote:
This narrow-angle color image of the Earth, dubbed 'Pale Blue Dot', is a part of the first ever 'portrait' of the solar system taken by Voyager 1. The spacecraft acquired a total of 60 frames for a mosaic of the solar system from a distance of more than 4 billion miles from Earth and about 32 degrees above the ecliptic. From Voyager's great distance Earth is a mere point of light, less than the size of a picture element even in the narrow-angle camera. Earth was a crescent only 0.12 pixel in size. Coincidentally, Earth lies right in the center of one of the scattered light rays resulting from taking the image so close to the sun. This blown-up image of the Earth was taken through three color filters -- violet, blue and green -- and recombined to produce the color image. The background features in the image are artifacts resulting from the magnification.

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=52392

All I can say is 'insignificant', which just means that a humble attitude is the preferred one when it comes to the humans speaking about the rest of the (known) universe and everything else surrounding them.

There are more stars in the universe than there are sand grains among all the beaches of planet Earth. So if you took away Earth from the universe, it would be even less significant than taking away one grain of sand.  Shocked

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #36 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Mark, considering that we are the only life in the universe is not by any means being close minded, rather, it is based on all the statistics related with life, its complexity, it's fragility, and the fact that just as no two things in the universe are repeated twice, it is possible that the first cell which all things came from 3.7 billion years ago was perhaps the first, and even only occurrence of life. Life isn't like an element, it isn't spit out of the stars, it requires complex structure, energy, and basic elements. Because of this, it first sprouted somewhere in the universe, and it isn't like DNA with organelles and cell walls, membranes, and cytoplasm just float around ready to be given life. I'm not close minded, I use logic that I have carefully thought about. Searching for e.t life in our universe is the only 'scientific' thing we do in which we have no evidence of it's existence. Just look at it, our earth is within the magical spot for life, and in our whole solace system, we are the only ones with more water than a swimming pool. If life exists 5 billion light years away, that means that would should have signs of life everywhere in mars, and on the moon, but we don't. How could the closest life be say 10 million light years away, with distances this great, it would have to be abundant. Our star is so far away from the nearest promising earth-like planet, Kepler-22b, which is 600 light years away. That is 2,421,964,800,000 miles away, and it is incredibly hard to believe that if life exists there (Kepler-22b is in the habitable zone, but we have no idea what it's like) that somehow it made a trek that long and far from out earth, or from ours to theirs, or from in between without perishing. Life, on an asteroid or comet going only between 40-100,000 miles per hour, it would take over 1 million years for that to get from earth to Kepler-22b traveling at 100,000 miles per second (twice as fast as an average asteroid). Plus distances could be greater, but even if they were one-eight the distance, that would be 127,000 years, too long for those cells or basic organisms to survive the almost absolute-zero temperature of deep space, and then somehow arriving on that planet alive.

CoolP wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 9:55am:
Mark, you shouldn't allow the misinterpretation of the folks to distract you. In science, you will hardly find two opinions being the same. Often enough, and especially on the topics with a lot of assumptions included, they will even contradict each other. That's the very nature of science.

This is not why I think, but why I know that this global warming hysteria is a load of B.S. if you have all these scientists in agreement about something, it isn't natural, it means there's only greed for funding behind it.

“Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had.”

- Michael Crichton

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #37 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 12:38am
Print Post  
701151 wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
I'm not close minded, I use logic that I have carefully thought about.

The same logic which lets you state dimensions and formulas wrong and the 'careful thoughts' leading you to jump on anything harming your personal view on the world of lets say the aviation business, Peter?  Roll Eyes Open question, not just within the limits of this thread though.

Quote:
Searching for e.t life in our universe is the only 'scientific' thing we do in which we have no evidence of it's existence.

'Evidence' as a word being used by someone praising his own logics has a certain value. I just don't know which.  Huh

But, more on the case, why not start asking folks at a local research facility about what they think of lets say a cure for HIV or cancer, a future way of producing energy without ripping the planet apart or just the foreseeable demise of social integrity due to a lack of resources and, hopefully, successful ways to deal with it?

What's their 'evidence for success' if there is something like that? You know, just to get a feel for the word. Also ask them about chances and how one can estimate those. And don't forget what motivates them and the folks paying the funds.

On a wider scale, why not look on how prominent guys think about the chances of life beyond the boarders of capitalism or nuclear war? Take Stephen Hawking, how did he come to the conclusion that, in a mathematical view, there is no way to deny a possibility since the value is clearly between 0 and 1. Just means that the ones denying are as wrong as the ones 'knowing' that there is something out there.

Keep asking about those things and your strange view on the word may hopefully change. Nobody in science stops of there is uncertainty. No, that's where science actually starts! Right between the 0 and the 1. So stop believing and thinking in fixed ways and admit that there is a lot to know about. That's the spirit and just these days the next Mars explorer is about to land. Ask them why! Ok, here's a hint.  Cool
Quote:
Its as-signment: Investigate whether conditions have been favorable for microbial life and for preserving clues in the rocks about possible past life.

NASA fact sheet. http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/fact_sheets/mars-science-laboratory.pdf

Guess what's the name of the vehicle. Curiosity!  Cheesy
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

Quote:
This is not why I think, but why I know that this global warming hysteria is a load of B.S. if you have all these scientists in agreement about something, it isn't natural, it means there's only greed for funding behind it.

So we have the environmental concerns being declared as  'B.S.' while, at the same time, surely being a proud supporter of the 'war on terror' and the billions being spend without any greed for funding in place.  Roll Eyes Ah, I see, the logics again.  Tongue

The same logics which let 'us' built thousands of nuclear warheads (we didn't had much terror back then, so what else could we do?), to blow up the planet several times. What was the evidence basis of that move again? I'm lost, but I'm sure it was very important and I'm even more sure that it still is very expensive.

Markoz wrote on Aug 5th, 2012 at 2:54am:
Chances are that we will have destroyed this planet and ourselves before that happens.

In that case, we had a least a good investment. Well, not in my book, but in quite some as it seems.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #38 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 1:23am
Print Post  
It says here in this book that the Creator loves us ALL!

Maybe even if you're not carbon based!  Shocked  Kiss

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #39 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Is the creator sitting in front of the boy?  Shocked I knew it! He is big, old and um grey.  Huh

By the way. 3hrs to the landing of that Mars explorer. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #40 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:12am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 1:23am:
It says here in this book that the Creator loves us ALL!
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/773/loven.png

Maybe even if you're not carbon based!  Shocked  Kiss

Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episodes where one character is building a model of the DNA of a silicon-based life form, and his born-again Christian mother says, "But still intelligently designed by a Creator, right?"  Grin

And by the way, microbes can survive the harsh conditions of space. Look up "tardigrades".

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #41 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Evidence is a material thing, something that can provide for hypotheses, to lead us towards an end result. It can be the pugmark of a Tiger, drops of blood, a video, a recording, or a fingerprint, to name a few. We know that HIV is a virus, Human Immunodeficiancy Virus, and that it is, in theory, curable, as we cure other viral ailment as well. We know there are alternative sources of power: wind, solar, hydroelectric, but these sources aren't ways to power a nation of our size, with our consumption and our infrastructure. We have the access to nuclear power, to natural gas, and when supplemented with these 'renewable' power sources, our future will be secure.

The reason we acquire and stockpile all those nuclear weapons? Because there was another superpower named the United Soviet Social Republic, the Soviet Union, and it was they who acquired equal or more weapons of equal or greater caliber, and to have such an unstable and dangerous threat be a superpower, and to be the greatest threat to the United States and democratic western world, it isn't logical, it isn't stupid, it is foolish not to be as equally prepared as they are, because if we run out before the run out, or they destroy what we have in one place, any victory, and chance to stop them , is over.

The War on Terror was and still is a necessary measure to ensure the safety and security of both the United States and the world. The difference between it an every other war our country and world has faced is that there is no one country, city, or military base to attack. They attacked us on our soil, killing 2,977 civilians, the worst attack in the United States since Pearl Harbor, resulting in more casualties, all civilian. Following an attack, a country with the means must attack back to defend itself; the enemy was Al-Qaeda, and theyaren't a country, or a city, or a military force. They are a vastly interconnected yet sparcely located group that has no headquarters, no base of operations, and no resources aside from money and men. Their leader, as well as almost the rest of them were easily defended by hiding out in the Indus Mountains of pakistan and Afghanistan. What we did was necessary: we had to destroy those who harmed us, and prevent it from happening again, to both us and anyone else. We went into Iraq because it was thought they had WMDs, as did Libya, Syria, and others. They ended up not finding any (some may have existed), but the removal of Hussein was a move that wasn't bad. The mistake taken was that we not only dismantled the regeim, but we dismantled their military, which was the greatest blunder. By taking apart that system, there was no organized body in which to give power to, and to make sure bad things didn't happen. Democracy doesn't work in Muslim society (Turkey is an exception, seeing how western they are), and the idea of installing a successful, effecient democracy that would self-maintain itself was a bad idea, punctuated by the removal of our forces, which were the glue keeping the government in its slippery place. They say we did it for oil, and that was a consideration, but not without importance. Of course we care about oil; any industrialized nation needs oil, it runs our cars, planes, trains, and even produces power and heat. Without it, our society couldn't function. To say we had no grounds for the  War on Terror is a sign of poor understanding of the situation. It took 10 years to locate Osama Bin Laden, because he wasn't hiding in the Indus Mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan, but because the Pakistani government was hiding our greatest enemy, and our 'ally' was not an ally. The things we do in Afghanistan to search and destroy Al-Qaeda are necessary, for that organisation is our enemy, and we cannot have them in strength. Some seek to put democracy in Afghanistan, but it will never work. Since the  times of Alexander the Great, the region has been an ungovernable ground, and will forever remain that way. The War on Terror is not something you can say was a mistake; mistakes were made, as with any large action, but its outcomes provided for the safety of ours, and everyone else's nations.

He wasn't a scientist, nor a physicist, nor a prestigious historian, but he was a highly educated man, who expended much of his time in doing vast amounts of research in what he wrote, and he was a very intelligent, wise man. Much like Mark Twain. Intelligence and wisdom are different that knowledge and education. Being educated doesn't make you intelligent or wise (not to downplay Mr. Hawking by any means).

Quote:
“Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.”

-Michael Crichton

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #42 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:30am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:12am:
And by the way, microbes can survive the harsh conditions of space. Look up "tardigrades".

I could name a couple of Biology Class mates that actually believed in the Panspermia Theory, aka the arrival to Earth of microbes and bacteria-type organisms by meteorites that lead to the first species. Mmmm........................................................................

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #43 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:54am
Print Post  
701151 wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:16am:
our future will be secure.

Erm, are you still with us?  Huh Feels a bit like all US stereotypes converged into one single spot and person, later resulting in your post. What the heck did I just read?!

Well, lets leave it that way and hope for the better. I actually wished you hadn't shown me that part of the US. I will stick with the other ones, being glad they are still there.

Following Mark's concerns.
Quote:
Chances are that we will have destroyed this planet and ourselves before that happens.

And with that, lets blow off some steam.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #44 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:58am
Print Post  
R. Aranda S. wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:30am:
I could name a couple of Biology Class mates that actually believed in the Panspermia Theory, aka the arrival to Earth of microbes and bacteria-type organisms by meteorites that lead to the first species. Mmmm........................................................................

So we can't call ourselves earthlings then?  Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #45 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:58am
Print Post  
CoolP, is it me or do some of the posters need to buy a paragraph brake?

Anyway, this is all you really need to know! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DA2MKuI6fs  Grin

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #46 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:01am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:54am:
701151 wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:16am:
our future will be secure.

Erm, are you still with us?  Huh

Securing for the future means securing twenty years ahead. Why? One cannot plan a century, two centuries, or a millenia ahead. We cannot predict what the weather will be, with 100% assurance for a month ahead, let alone in a fortnight. We cannot predict the future, be it political, geological, or anything else. If they had planned the country for a century into the future in 1900, our nation would not have gone as far, and we would not be as advanced, because things are forever changing, and even if you plan for twenty years, by the end, the plans for that infrastructure would be outdated, and in need of replacement. It is hard to plan for the future, so our future as we see it will be secure, because we know it will be different in 2022.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #47 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:08am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 2:58am:
CoolP, is it me or do some of the posters need to buy a paragraph brake?

Haha, no worries, we're on it. Well, at least partially. Grin Nice video again. You like the MP thingies, huh?

Seems like the folks at NASA are happy and we are receiving sharp images of Mars. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20120806.html Lou, there aren't any people holding up texts yet. I guess they are on a break.  Cool I also fail to see elephants. Wait, grey!  Shocked

And when was the last time you were that happy about landing?  Cheesy

VIDEO http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=14483&media...

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #48 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Geez, they send them up and then only shoot b/w images.  Cheesy Grin Cuts the cost, huh? Tongue
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia16028.html

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #49 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
They (the bunch of NASA folks) gave an interview at reddit. You know, one of those 'Ask us Anything' sessions. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ybmmh/we_are_engineers_and_scientists_on_t...

It's pretty interesting reading about the details and the time the mission itself and the preparations are running. The folks are on it for some 10 years and more.

In between, here's our planet viewed from Mars.  Shocked

The interview features a lot of humour and 'useless' facts, I guess that's what makes it cool.
whats one cool trivia fact about curiosity that everybody should know?
Its got a friggin' laser on its head, that can VAPORIZE rocks!  Cheesy

Does Curiosity have any increased capacity for operating during the Martian night due to it's lack of reliance on solar power? Did you put lights on it?
There are no lights on the Rover. It utilizes the night time to recharge the batteries to drive and explore during the day to take advantage of the day time.

but what if the life-form only comes out at night...
Well fu.k  Grin

Then there's one guy going a bit off topic by reminding one of the NASA folks about that math book he's borrowed some 8 years ago.  Grin

Another detail would be the question on the hardware for the rover's computer. Don't expect much CPU power, some smartphones may kill that thing. But there is a link on the actual cost of just the CPU which made my head explode.  Shocked And the stuff is some 8 years old.

And some story on a rover's life. Very sad.  Sad http://xkcd.com/695/

Are there any protocols if you find alien life / bacteria / fossils?
Every science hypothesis is vetted among the team, and we would want to make sure we were absolutely certain it was life/fossils/etc. before releasing it to the public. But we absolutely would release this information, once we had sufficient evidence and it was agreed upon among the science teams! We follow this procedure for all of our interesting finds.

Question on the link speeds.
Through the high gain antenna, which we can point directly at Earth, we can achieve ~10 kbps from Mars to Earth.  Shocked

A nice (user) quote.
My favorite part about this is that all sounds incredibly difficult to me, almost prohibitively so, and you come out with, "none of it seems to be insurmountable."

THAT is the fu.king spirit.

Yeah, perhaps read into that reddit page. It really is a fun read and also offers some of that spirit.  Smiley

And to add. Some nice story.
WHY NO MICROPHONE???
We took a microphone on the Phoenix Mars Lander, and we turned it on but essentially heard nothing (white noise) so it was never released. We don't really need it for any experiments.

Here's a little more info on the Phoenix microphone. It was essentially a hitch-hiker. It was built into another instrument taken off the shelf for the the lander, but it was never intended for the mission. There was no science team or budget connected to it. Since it was not intended for use it was never tested before launch and never entered into the power budget for the lander. Only after Phoenix successfully completed it's mission, 5 months after landing in the polar region, was the mission somewhat willing to test it. They couldn't do it earlier because they couldn't risk the prime goals of the mission if anything went wrong. The project manager was fairly certain it wouldn't work and was against trying it because he didn't want to raise expectations. His mind changed when we got a tweet to the @MarsPhoenix account from a man who said he was blind and how much he wished he could hear Mars because he couldn't see the pictures. A couple days later, they sent the signal to Phoenix to turn it on but we got.. well.. nothing. Empty files. If we had received anything, it would have been released. The team figured the mic was frozen solid and decided to give it a second try by leaving it on longer to warm up. Unfortunately, the Phoenix mission lost its last bit of power (as expected) before it got the second instruction. -vm

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #50 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Rest in peace, Neil Armstrong.  Undecided
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

Quote:
A statement from Armstrong's family said, "Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Will do.  Smiley

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #51 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Me too CoolP, I am very sad to see this quiet man pass.  Cry

To Fly west, a trip we all must take....

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #52 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 2:14am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:17pm:
Rest in peace, Neil Armstrong.  Undecided
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

Quote:
A statement from Armstrong's family said, "Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Will do.  Smiley

A very sad day indeed. May he rest in peace. Cry

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top