Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 BULLITIN : UFO SIGHTED BY REAL COMMERCIAL AIRLINE (Read 44199 times)
LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: BULLITIN : UFO SIGHTED BY REAL COMMERCIAL AIRLINE
Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Peter, read about string theory & membranes. Maybe no need to go so fast?  Roll Eyes

The sun is made up of mostly hydrogen gas, but the extreme gravitational pressure at the core turns the gas into something very different - plasma. The pressure is so great, and temperatures so high (around 15 million Kelvin) that the simple atoms of hydrogen fuse to create helium. During the process of this fusion reaction a small amount of mass is lost in the form of a photon, about .7 %. Even though this is a small number, it is times C (the speed of light). This results in a very large amount of energy being released.

The photons created during the fusion process deep in the core of the sun can take thousands of years to reach the surface of the sun and go on their journey into space, where eight minutes later they reach us as light.  In one second, our sun produces enough energy for almost 500,000 years of the current needs of our planet. As CoolP showed in the video our sun is just a small stable star which is good for us.

Every thing we touch and us as well came from the evolution of stars. Everything on the periodic table was created in a star and during the death of a star. We are stardust!  Cool

Maybe this should be astronomy 101... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQu_RRLbVDA

We really know so little!  Embarrassed

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us    

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #16 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
First of all, nice use of Monty Python, second, I took AP Chemistry, so I know a fair amount about all this. But the fact is all this stuff that has to come together for a life form to begin is amazing, and its hard to imagine how it started on its own, at all. We'll never know the answer really. Plus, even if there is life outside of our solar system, the question is: Will it be intelligent like us?

The thing is I'm not denying that life could have formed elsewhere, but what I stated points out that fact that the forces of mother nature (which really encompass the entire universe) are so great and so varied, that there are never two mountains like each other, two canyons like each other, no two snowflakes alike, no two stars, planets, asteroids, or veins of gold ever coem out identical. With all this great variation, when something as complicated as the life form comes into play, it cannot be ignored that it is entirely possible that whatever caused life to begin, in the event that a higher power was not in play, could easily have only happened once. Because all we needed, and all we had was a single cell that came to life, and now look at the world we live in. The entire world is one ecosystem, covered in life, both plant, animal, and fungi, and all this was the result of over a billion years of evolution from one single prokaryotic cell. If that doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will.

The other amazing thing about life is that unlike mother nature's forces, the thing we all share, all living organisms, DNA is able to reproduce a species of life form, and its ability to do that endlessly and result in products that are so similar in structure, in function, and in look is the greatest amazement in the universe. You can argue that no two fingerprints are completely alike, and no two tigers have the same stripe pattern but below, they are so similar, so perfect, that I believe that all that made this come to be could hardly have been the work of anything other than the higher being, but if it was mother nature's doing, it cannot be put away that one single event was all that happened. Our universe was one single event, and explosion of energy that infinitely expands (big bang) and life may just have been a big bang, all we needed was one event, and our earth is the garden of eden (so-to-speak).

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #17 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Don't praise mother nature too much, she will bite at times and doesn't care about creatures thinking they are intelligent but sometimes acting.. differently.  Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #18 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
701151 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:58pm:
Plus, even if there is life outside of our solar system, the question is: Will it be intelligent like us?

I hope not since I'd actually like to receive an answer on how to e.g. stop wars about fictional resources (money) or the ones needed for running our 'modern' machines. But I'm afraid the answer could be 'Dear humans, your problem on the wars will, within a short time, solve itself. So long and thanks for all the fish!'  Cheesy Undecided

More on the topic. I wonder how you guys define the word life. As said, I'm noticing religious influences in some answers and phrases. Surely being poetic at times.
On the scientific view, I personally don't know if the focus on 'needs water, needs the same conditions as on Earth' helps when it comes to all (imaginable) forms. We can surely look for water and then hope for some kind of life form, even former ones, being somehow similar to what we know. This makes sense because you not only have to find it, but you also should be able to detect it.

But if you think away from the carbon based life forms, the possibilities are unimaginable big and even the value of intelligence is something being hard to measure. You'll find very intelligent patterns in bacteria, a virus or parasites, not all of them being understood and you certainly wouldn't relate the word intelligence to a single occurrence of those forms.

Well, to say it with some greater words. You gotta know what you are looking for in order to find it. Focus on the wrong thing and you may pass by new forms of life without even noticing. Hence the question from above, what is life?

As a help, you could look into what projects like SETI define as their 'patterns' since just recording all possible signals ends up with a truckload (or two  Grin) of data and little to no use.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 4:31pm:
701151 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:58pm:
Plus, even if there is life outside of our solar system, the question is: Will it be intelligent like us?

I hope not since I'd actually like to receive an answer on how to e.g. stop wars about fictional resources (money) or the ones needed for running our 'modern' machines. But I'm afraid the answer could be 'Dear humans, your problem on the wars will, within a short time, solve itself. So long and thanks for all the fish!'  Cheesy Undecided

More on the topic. I wonder how you guys define the word life. As said, I'm noticing religious influences in some answers and phrases. Surely being poetic at times.
On the scientific view, I personally don't know if the focus on 'needs water, needs the same conditions as on Earth' helps when it comes to all (imaginable) forms. We can surely look for water and then hope for some kind of life form, even former ones, being somehow similar to what we know. This makes sense because you not only have to find it, but you also should be able to detect it.

But if you think away from the carbon based life forms, the possibilities are unimaginable big and even the value of intelligence is something being hard to measure. You'll find very intelligent patterns in bacteria, a virus or parasites, not all of them being understood and you certainly wouldn't relate the word intelligence to a single occurrence of those forms.

Well, to say it with some greater words. You gotta know what you are looking for in order to find it. Focus on the wrong thing and you may pass by new forms of life without even noticing. Hence the question from above, what is life?

As a help, you could look into what projects like SETI define as their 'patterns' since just recording all possible signals ends up with a truckload (or two  Grin) of data and little to no use.

Problem is that carbon happens to be the single most perfect element for creating life forms. Why? Because it has a low mass, and it has four valence electrons, which allow it to be both stable, abundant, and allow for the bonding of more carbons, and as a result, everything else.

Lets look at elements, and atoms (one in the same). An atom can have at most, 8 electrons in its valence ring (the farthest out from the nucleus), with the exception of hydrogen and helium, who only have two (since their valence ring is the first ring, and all first rings have only two). Now an element with one electron in the valence ring is incredibly unstable, because it seeks 7 more to complete the out ring, therefore, it likes bonding with group 17 elements, to form a stable compund, such as NaCl (salt). Now natrually occuring elements in group 1 (except helium) are incredibly unstable, and are explosive, especially in water. That is why they are contained in oil while in their natural state. Although these group 1 elements, called Alkali metals, are metals, they hardly are compared to iron and gold. Group 2 (alkali earth metals) are relatively reactive, at standard temperature, to other metals, and flammible (magnesium). Now lets skip ahead, since all the metals aren't a source for compounds in organisms. Boron, group 13, is a transition metal, and therefore also not suitable for life-compounds. Therefore, our very first non-metal is carbon. His four valence rings (at total of 6 electrons) make him very stable, and allow him to bond to many things, be it hydrogen, iron, more carbon, etc. A carbon atom could bond with for more carbon atoms, and each carbon after that could bond to one, and all the open places in those rings could fill up with hydrogen. Because of this, the possibilites of carbon are endless, because it can bond with more like it, and with other non-metals, and gases like H, or O, or N to make very complex compounds, which can thus form proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and the other molecules responsible for life. Plus, carbon can have double bonds, peptide bonds, and other types of complex bonds to make rigid structures, which help in teh construction of things such as a cell wall (plants). the only other element.

All other elements in group 14 (the carbon group) are either transition metals, or metals. These are unsuitable for life compounds. It is theorized that silicon could be a base for life, other than carbon, because of its lower weight, less metallic properties, and similarities to carbon (i.e. four valence electrons). However silicon, because it is a transition metal, is unable to form chemical bonds with other atoms, therefore making it unable to be a useful base for metabolic processes, which require chemicals (which exist throughout the universe, since the laws of our universe are essentially universal, pun intended). Because of silicons increased mass, it forms compounds that are bulkier and "monotonous compared with the combinatorial universe of organic macromolecules". Silicon's greater mass and atomic radius makes it very difficult for it to form a double bond with another element.

Carbon is the perfect, and in the eyes of most scientists, the only base for life.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Peter, I have to apologise to you. It's always a bit tricky to transport a message as it seems.

Again, sorry, but that's just from your lengthy answers on some buzz words. The last one was carbon I guess. While I'm sure that your teacher for the chemical stuff will love you for that, the physics guy still wonders what happened before.  Cheesy

However, if you find the time, perhaps take a look on the full post which, intentionally, transports a message like 'think outside the box'. Well, I'm not the only one stating it, but it still seems like it's hard to see. My fault. Undecided

Ah, that's life, isn't it?  Smiley

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #21 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
pj747 said: Carbon is the perfect, and in the eyes of most scientists, the only base for life.

Peter, I would add, "that we know of!"

Again, my attempt at a cartoon...  Roll Eyes

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Good cartoon, Lou.  Smiley By the way, I sometimes think my PC is alive since it acts like my girlfriend. Works fine on one day, is a beast at others although nothing has changed. Wait, chemicals again, huh? No silicon in my gf. Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I don't know if you've seen the old movie, The Power of Ten.

Very good look into our makeup, and I mean the whole universe.

Look at your desk that the confuser is sitting on. It looks solid, right. Well it is full of empty space. Think of it like the empty space much like the space between our sun the the planets. The nucleus of the atom is surrounded by its cloud of electrons flying around at a great distance with a lot of empty space. That is why, when a star goes novae and collapses into a neutron star, a lot of the empty space is squished down but, it still has most of its mass but in a very small diameter. A spoon full of that neutron star could weigh millions of tons.

As poor Alice said in wonderland, it's curiouser and curiouser!  

Lou  Huh

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Peter may have already mentioned something like this, but anyway, the odds of life existing independently on other planets (I say independently, because, since the discovery of tardigrades, which can survive in space, the theory that life can be transmitted on asteroids has gained more support) is extremely slim. I don't know if you've heard of the Anthropic Principle, but basically, it says that because the odds for life existing are so astronomical (I don't remember the number, but it might have been over a billion to one), the Universe is fine-tuned for life to develop somewhere, perhaps to observe the Universe, since quantum dynamics states that particles behave differently when observed. And if we were the first life forms, then that fine-tuning might no longer apply (there's obviously really not a lot of scientific evidence for the Anthropic Principle so it's hard to say how it works if it turns out to be an actual function of the Universe), and the fact that the odds of life developing are so slim, it's not inconceivable that life on Earth is the only life in the Universe.

However, extraterrestrial life, even if it developed from the same kind of microscopic organisms as life did on Earth, would be vastly different from life on Earth. The development of brains capable of invention and scientific curiosity would be statistically impossible, and even if organisms did develop brains, they would not design space ships with lights and other features similar to those that we equip Earth vehicles with. On a completely different planet with completely different organisms, natural selection would take organisms down a very different path.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 12:47am
Print Post  
There is some oddness in the discussion. I'm not talking about the different opinions of each individual. That's actually the interesting part and the one to learn about. No, it's more about the ways some things get communicated.

boeing247 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:28pm:
the odds of life existing independently on other planets (..) is extremely slim.

A very vague expression, 'extremely slim'. Perhaps we would have to ask to which level of 'extremely slim' you refer. So the odds that a modern plane crashes are extremely slim, the odds of winning in the lottery are and, as you say, the ones for e.t. life. Same expression, most likely different levels. Which one to pick?

Did those chances ever receive a defined number? Is there something like a consensus on that number?

We've detected some billions of stars out there, but, as of now, we are on some 777 planets which we were able to detect. Read it again if you like. 777 in the year 2012. We have sent some vehicles to the closest ones in our solar system and we are eager to sent some more to e.g. look for water or ice probes as we are not sure, from just observing, if there is or was any form of life on the moons of Jupiter for example.

I don't know what those numbers will tell you, but I do know that some human beings are well aware that knowledge consists of two levels. The one you have and the one you need to form up something in the means of awareness.

Quote:
I don't know if you've heard of the Anthropic Principle, but basically, it says that because the odds for life as we know it existing are so astronomical (I don't remember the number, but it might have been over a billion to one), the Universe is fine-tuned for life to develop somewhere, perhaps to observe the Universe, since quantum dynamics states that particles behave differently when observed.

Please don't make sentences that long, they are hard to read.  Undecided I know about AP and one main phrase is missing. I've added it to your sentence. This may slightly change the context.  Smiley

Quote:
And if we were the first life forms

After the vague stuff, there seems to be a more defined status. What makes you think that you might be the first life form? Why not the second, the one after one billion or, in the eyes of a totally different being, no life form at all?

If you alter some reference frame very slightly, you and I are just about the same as the monkey in some lab, being degraded to another form of life, the one we run tests on. Altering the reference frame some more, perhaps on the time scale, the root of human existence could hardly be detected or even differentiated from some planetary elements.

Now we do know a bit about what lead to the development of human skills, but we have no idea about other reference frames than our own. It's not that we have to force ourselves to 'think alien'. No, it's just about being aware that we may always 'think human', therefore blocking some paths for our minds and, later, acting.

Quote:
and the fact that the odds of life developing are so slim, it's not inconceivable that life on Earth is the only life in the Universe.

Mind your first sentence and the left out phrase, life 'as we know it'. Speaking of facts would be scientific but always applies to a state of current knowledge. Not many years ago, nobody expected life at extremely hot, acid or otherwise life-threatening places on our own planet. It took some folks to actually look up those places and.. find life. So within a short amount of time, facts were changed.

Combining the word odds and facts in one sentence often makes no sense. The one thing is an assumption, which can be made mathematically, on a rhetoric level or e.g. by religious 'laws' in place. The other one sums up what does exist, what is explored or just states, as a fact, that we don't know yet.

Quote:
However, extraterrestrial life, even if it developed from the same kind of microscopic organisms as life did on Earth, would be vastly different from life on Earth. The development of brains capable of invention and scientific curiosity would be statistically impossible, and even if organisms did develop brains, they would not design space ships with lights and other features similar to those that we equip Earth vehicles with. On a completely different planet with completely different organisms, natural selection would take organisms down a very different path.

That's the one paragraph I can relate to. However, it features a very human centric viewpoint. That's not a problem as long as you don't lock yourself (your mind and thinking) out by just wondering if there could be 'something like humans' out there, forgetting about all the other possibilities.

There's also one disturbing part. The way to relate intelligence to something which is only possible with a human-alike development. The mind is blocked for anything being outside of that frame. You may not be able to see it, even if it was right in front of you.

Don't get that wrong, in evolution theory, it makes sense to rely on former experiences and then develop improved ways. But even evolution cuts some corners and if you are looking for another, for a new life, you may have to leave behind those ways you got so used to. This starts with the thinking and surely is a major limiting factor in science.

Finally, to assume that being 'capable of invention and scientific curiosity' is something only being bound to 'our' ways of life, here on earth, may even contradict the statement itself.  Undecided

Quoting another member because he's posted a beautiful closing sentence.
dbhally wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 8:01pm:
We're all stuck in our little bubble, sending out tiny "feelers". IMO we know very little, even when it comes to our home.

"It's a basic function of our universe to become aware of itself."~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #26 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 1:01am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:11pm:
I don't know if you've seen the old movie, The Power of Ten.

Great one! Also fits well into the 'frame view' approach.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #27 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:28am
Print Post  
CoolP, you seem to have completely misinterpreted my point.  Wink

Well, not completely. I was being human-centric, but that's because, let's face it, building spacecraft to visit other planets is a very human idea. My point was that, if life exists elsewhere, it wouldn't be [b]life as we know it[b], which means that it probably wouldn't be building spaceships to come visit us in.

I didn't talk about life as we know it, because the odds of that developing on other planets are nearly nonexistent, and if life exists in a completely different form from humans, then the whole UFO and extraterrestrial visitor points are moot, because life like that wouldn't be exploring the cosmos.

And the reason I said "extremely slim" is because the odds are something like a billion to one or more, and I didn't want to look it up. But to give you an idea, The Physics Book (which is a great book, by the way), says that if the rapid expansion that occurred one second after the big bang had been one part in one thousand million million (not sure what number that's supposed to be) off, the Universe would either have collapsed in on itself, or would have expanded too rapidly for subatomic particles to form atoms.

(And sorry for my apposition-filled, extraordinarily long sentences. I think I'm going to break the comma key on my keyboard pretty soon  Grin)

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:28am:
CoolP, you seem to have completely misinterpreted my point.  Wink

Apologies. But you should work on the better understanding for your readers. Well, you are not posting for yourself, right?

Quote:
My point was that, if life exists elsewhere, it wouldn't be [b]life as we know it[b], which means that it probably wouldn't be building spaceships to come visit us in.

I can't agree or disagree. I just don't know about the motives, regardless of the direction of thinking. So stating that they would travel is as wrong as stating the opposite. But that's the very nature of the unknown stuff and no news I guess.

I even think that 'spaceships' limits you on the thought level. We may call it traveling since it leaves open the ways of the actual process. I could also think of not doing it in person but sending surrogates in all directions. And some science fiction authors had a nice idea about, indeed, not traveling aliens but ones making sure that we develop in the lines they had in mind. Means that, sooner or later, we will come to them, not matter what.

Thoughts are free, that's the idea.

Quote:
I didn't talk about life as we know it, because the odds of that developing on other planets are nearly nonexistent,

Yes, you did state that before. And there's no problem with that Bram's theorem. It's just that you wanted to prove your point with using a more known name, of another theory (AP). But that special one just refers to life as we know it and the odds involved so it doesn't fit your more universal case.

Perhaps make more clear what you are talking about and cite other people's theories in full context if they are meant to support you.  Smiley

Quote:
But to give you an idea, The Physics Book (which is a great book, by the way), says that if the rapid expansion that occurred one second after the big bang had been one part in one thousand million million (not sure what number that's supposed to be) off, the Universe would either have collapsed in on itself, or would have expanded too rapidly for subatomic particles to form atoms.

Interesting. But I'm sure that the book calls it the big bang theory for a reason and I don't understand what the uniqueness of the assumed process is able to prove. Does it say 'only humans can come out of it?' or does it restrict life to a single planet? I haven't read that one but I doubt your book states anything like that.

I still have your sentence with the 'if we were the first life forms' in mind. How did you come to that thinking? That book? Doubts.

Besides, how would you personally justify any space programs looking for life on other planets or using large antennae arrays and a lot of computer power to just scan random signals for signs of intelligent transmissions? It's not like we send our spaceships out for developing PTFE coated cooking equipment as it seems.

And why did people at NASA, experts on their case, use such things and others? http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1343918518/14#14

You may like to read about the background and the people involved. Some of the names will surely be known as very intelligent persons with a scientific background. So how come they kept pushing the programs up to now? Dreaming? Or do they look 'at the odds' in a different way?  Roll Eyes Just asking because there's a lot of tax money involved and they usually have to justify exactly that.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
All I'm saying is that, if life were to develop on other planets, it would be very different from life on Earth. Because it would have gone down a completely different evolutionary timeline, it is extremely unlikely that life with intelligence such as ours (a brain that makes the organism want to explore and possibly contact extraterrestrial life) would evolve. That makes me seriously doubt the validity of claims that say aliens have come in ships that are usually said to be made out of metal and are covered in lights that resemble Earth-made lights.

I wasn't actually using the Anthropic Principle to prove my point, I was actually using the same evidence that supports the AP (that the odds of life forming anywhere are astronomical).

And the "if we were the first life forms" was just me musing on the Anthropic Principle. I was just saying that, perhaps, if the Anthropic Principle is designed to create beings that can observe the Universe, then if Earth were the first place that life developed, then perhaps it wouldn't need to develop on other planets, and it wouldn't. But that is far beyond the realm of today's science, so I'm totally speculating.  Wink

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top