Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Poll
Poll Question: How does your APU generator work? (Ground, engines OFF)

No problems    
  18 (32.7%)
No power in 5-10 minutes    
  37 (67.3%)

Total votes: 55
« Created by: Captain Sim on: Apr 30th, 2012 at 6:02pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
 25 737 locks up (Read 92365 times)
Chris the Swiss

Re: 737 locks up
Reply #60 - May 6th, 2012 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Well, just after sending my previous reply, the block happened on start-up for the first leg. I must have taken too long writing, maybe a bit more than 10 minutes.
At the gate APU running, Ground Power on. Upon pushback Ground Power off. Engines wouldn't start. Funnily enough, after pushback, I decided to reengage the Ground Power supply from the menu. This did the trick.

IP Logged

Buster

Reply #61 - May 6th, 2012 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hello all,

Same thing here, I initially did not get the problem but probably did not wait long enough. Last night it happened 4 times consecutively (FSX restart in between) after roughly 10 minutes.

Best regards,
Marc

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #62 - May 6th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Just to throw my 2 cents into the unified conversation here.

I tested all of this as follows:

1. CLEAN install.  Uninstalled 1.0, deleted any remaining files I found (including saved flights), then re-installed.
2. I loaded the Cold & Dark flight from within FSX.
3. I began the checklist at that point.  I did not go into any menus, did not change the aircraft, did not use Shift+Z to clear the sim info.  I only used Shift+A to move around the flight deck and +/- to zoom in/out.

(* = OK, X = discrepancy from checklist, @ = doesn't make sense to me)

* BATTERY switch - Guard closed
@ DC Meters - on BAT, positive indication on DC Amps
* AC Meters - on APU, Flat
* GALLEY POWER switch - ON
* STANDBY POWER switch - Guard closed
X STANDBY PWR OFF light IS ON
* BUS TRANSFER switch - Guard closed
X TRANSFER BUS OFF light IS ON
X BUS OFF light IS ON
* APU - Start
* APU GENERATOR switches - ON
* BUS OFF lights - extinguished
* TRANSFER BUS OFF lights - extinguished
* LOW OIL QUANTITY light - extinguished
* APU LOW OIL PRESSURE light - extinguished
* APU HIGH OIL TEMPERATURE light - extinguished
* APU OVERSPEED light - extinguished
* AC Meters - on APU, power indicated.
@ DC Meters - on BAT, negative indication shown on DC Amps.
* DC Meters - on STDBY PWR, indications correct.
* AC Meters - on STDBY PWR, indications correct.
* STDBY PWR OFF light - extinguished at this point.

From here, I did the following (I know, it deviates from the checklist)...

WINDOW HEAT - All ON
PITOT STATIC HEAT - Both ON
ENGINE HYDRAULIC PUMPS - OFF
ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC PUMPS - ON
APU BLEED AIR - ON
ENGINE BLEED AIR - Both ON
Left AC PACK - ON
Right AC PACK - ON

NAV1 is already tuned to the SEA VOR.  In this condition, the avionics will fail in about 8 minutes on my machine.  The overhead electrical panel will not change in anyway.  APU is running and indicates power, STDBY PWR indications are correct, BAT will continue to should a negative indication on DC Amps.  Engines will not start.

If I turn off the APU, that's all she wrote.  Nothing in the aircraft will work.

Note: This applies to ground power as well (for me anyway).  If you skip all of the APU items and only use ground power, you will see the same electrical indications and the avionics will fail in the same amount of time.

UPDATE: I verified that under both APU and ground power, leaving window heat, pitot static heat, the electric hydraulic pumps and a single AC pack OFF still results in a failure, but it takes longer.  Roughly 12-15 minutes instead of 6-8 minutes.  Less power drain, I guess.  So, following the checklist to the letter does not resolve the issue.

My original posts are here and all deal with the 1.0 version...http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1335135522

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #63 - May 7th, 2012 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Hi slakr007

I followed what you did, and here is how mine differs from yours:

(* = OK, X = discrepancy from checklist, @ = doesn't make sense to me)

@ DC Meters - on BAT, positive indication on DC Amps
* AC Meters - on APU, Flat
* GALLEY POWER switch - ON
* STANDBY PWR OFF light IS ON
* TRANSFER BUS OFF light IS ON
* BUS OFF light IS ON

* APU - Start
* APU GENERATOR switches - ON
* BUS OFF lights - extinguished
* TRANSFER BUS OFF lights - extinguished
* LOW OIL QUANTITY light - extinguished
* APU LOW OIL PRESSURE light - extinguished
* APU HIGH OIL TEMPERATURE light - extinguished
* APU OVERSPEED light - extinguished
* AC Meters - on APU, power indicated.
@ DC Meters - on BAT, negative indication shown on DC Amps.
* DC Meters - on STDBY PWR, indications correct.
* AC Meters - on STDBY PWR, indications correct.
* STDBY PWR OFF light - extinguished at this point.

From here, I did the following (I know, it deviates from the checklist)...

WINDOW HEAT - All ON
PITOT STATIC HEAT - Both ON
ENGINE HYDRAULIC PUMPS - OFF
ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC PUMPS - ON
APU BLEED AIR - ON
ENGINE BLEED AIR - Both ON
Left AC PACK - ON
Right AC PACK - ON

NAV1 is already tuned to the SEA VOR.

Here is an image showing that the lights are ON:

I was able to start the engines 20 minutes later. As I said. With those three items above actually being as they should be, I'm not surprised I am able to start the engines.

I wonder why it is that they are correct for me, but not for you. Undecided

Note. The two that don't make sense to you, don't make sense to me either. Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #64 - May 7th, 2012 at 3:00am
Print Post  
X BUS OFF light IS ON

Those are correct. They should illuminate as soon as the Battery is switched on.

Then, when you engage the first Apu gen switch it should extinguish both TRANSFER BUS OFF lights and the BUS OFF light corresponding to that switch, then the second Apu gen switch ON will extinguish the remaining BUS OFF light.

Currently the first Apu gen switched to ON will extinguish all four amber lights, and I can't tell if that's merely a visual bug or an actual electrical error.

BTW, Mark are you certain you don't have FSUIPC infinite battery selected or the electric_always_available=1 in the .cfg?

I only ask because at one time you had the dead battery issue and now you don't, and also you stated that you can run forever on just battery power alone, which should be impossible without some sort of infinite battery value assigned.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #65 - May 7th, 2012 at 4:13am
Print Post  
The ONLY 3rd party add-on aircraft I own and use that feature with, is the Flight1 Cessna Mustang. It did not get installed in FSX after my last full reinstall of FSX, that I did last year. The following image is of the way I have left it in FSUIPC. It is one the first things I checked BEFORE I came in here to say it wasn't happening to me anymore, since the time I first reported it (my original post).

So yes. I am sure it is not checked and in use. Wink

NOTE: I forgot to say that I am not using the electric_always_avalable=1 either. This is all that is in my [electrical] section of the aircraft.cfg file:

[electrical]
max_battery_voltage = 24.0
generator_alternator_voltage = 30.0
max_generator_alternator_amps = 400.0

Mark

fsuipc_battery_life.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #66 - May 7th, 2012 at 4:57am
Print Post  
bud7h7 wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 3:00am:
X BUS OFF light IS ON

Those are correct. They should illuminate as soon as the Battery is switched on.

That's fine.  I'm just saying they do not match the checklist.  It's entirely possible the checklist is wrong.

Anyway, with a clean install and no other add-on's or modifications, the process I detailed reproduces the problem every time on my machine.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #67 - May 7th, 2012 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Sorry. It didn't mean for my previous reply to sound as if I was angry or mad at anyone. I also thought I had mentioned that I had already checked that. It turns out I might have said that in a PM that I got a while ago and not in this topic.

Anyway. Back to the subject.

I thought that this: X = discrepancy from checklist, meant that the X STANDBY PWR OFF light IS ON, which in turn meant that it was off and not on, whereas for me the checklist is right and there are no discrepancies.

So I thought that if mine are working, and yours are not, then it could have something to do with the loss of power that you are experiencing. It would be nice to know if others with the problem have the same results when going through the checklist.

These two:
DC Meters - on BAT, positive indication on DC Amps.
DC Meters - on BAT, negative indication shown on DC Amps.

are interesting. I too thought the opposite would apply. A bug maybe?

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

AlexArt

Reply #68 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Mark, do you have the default AI aircraft or 3rd party add-on?
It happens that the parameter "electric_always_avalable=1" works, if there is a AI plane in which it exists.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #69 - May 7th, 2012 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
AlexArt wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 11:46am:
Mark, do you have the default AI aircraft or 3rd party add-on?
It happens that the parameter "electric_always_avalable=1" works, if there is a AI plane in which it exists.
Not quite sure what you mean, so here is how I use AI traffic:

When using Weapon for FSX, I turn the AI aircraft up to about 10%.
All other times, the AI is at 0%
Ultimate Traffic 2 is always in use and is set at 30%

So I don't really know. What does that do for me?

EDIT: I have just done another test with UT2 and FSX AI traffic OFF. I started at 11:06pm (when I started the APU) until I started the engines (using the APU) at 11:26pm. So as you can see, I still had power from the APU after 20 minutes. For some reason, I only lost the power those two times back when I started this topic, and it has never happened again. And as you can see in the attached image. I have not reinstalled the 737-200 Base Pack v1.0 since the day I got it and installed it.

Mark

732installed.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #70 - May 7th, 2012 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 9:13am:
Sorry. It didn't mean for my previous reply to sound as if I was angry or mad at anyone. I also thought I had mentioned that I had already checked that. It turns out I might have said that in a PM that I got a while ago and not in this topic.

Anyway. Back to the subject.

I thought that this: X = discrepancy from checklist, meant that the X STANDBY PWR OFF light IS ON, which in turn meant that it was off and not on, whereas for me the checklist is right and there are no discrepancies.

So I thought that if mine are working, and yours are not, then it could have something to do with the loss of power that you are experiencing. It would be nice to know if others with the problem have the same results when going through the checklist.

These two:

Mark

Well, I certainly didn't think you were angry or rude.  I was confused by your post, but I see that my post was confusing.

OK, so, my copy of the Normal Procedures says:

* Verify that the STANDBY PWR OFF light is extinguished.
* Verify that the TRANSFER BUS OFF lights are extinguished.
* Verify that the BUS OFF lights are extinguished.

As we see, though, the lights that should be extinguished are on.  So, that's why I was saying the actual behavior is different from the checklist.

In my post from yesterday, I said that the behavior may be correct and the checklist wrong.  However, I thought about the 757.  Both the 737 and 757 have an AUTO position for the STANDBY POWER switch.  In the 737, it's set to AUTO with the guard closed.  In the 757, if the switch is in AUTO, standby power is available with just the battery.

If I open the guard and move the standby power switch to BAT, I get standby power.

Now, I'm no Captain Lou, but it seems like the checklist is correct and the aircraft behavior is wrong.  Whether or not that has anything to do with the battery drain, I don't know.

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #71 - May 7th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
These two:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  I'm wondering if the battery is draining instead of charging when you connect external power or the APU.

One thing I just thought to test...  Just turn on the battery, switch standby power to BAT, then start turning things on and see if the battery drains.  If the DC Amps meter is correct, maybe it will not drain.  That would be fun and real handy in an emergency!

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #72 - May 7th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
slakr007 wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 3:52pm:
Now, I'm no Captain Lou, but it seems like the checklist is correct and the aircraft behavior is wrong.

I don't think so. On the real 732, those lamps operate as they do now on the CS732, except for the possible discrepancy with the Transfer Bus OFF lights and Bus OFF light when the APU gen switches are switched on.

DC amps should also be negative with the selector on BATT.
Should be positive with selector on APU or GRD PWR.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #73 - May 7th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
bud7h7 wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
slakr007 wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 3:52pm:
Now, I'm no Captain Lou, but it seems like the checklist is correct and the aircraft behavior is wrong.

I don't think so. On the real 732, those lamps operate as they do now on the CS732, except for the possible discrepency with the Transfer Bus OFF lights and Bus OFF light when the APU gen switches are switched on.

DC amps should also be negative with the selector on BATT.
Should be positive with selector on APU or GRD PWR.

OK, yeah, I looked it up for my own edification.  Looks like the 732 has a sensor that locks out standby power when the switch is in the AUTO position and the aircraft is on the ground.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #74 - May 8th, 2012 at 6:25am
Print Post  
slakr007 wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 3:58pm:
These two:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  I'm wondering if the battery is draining instead of charging when you connect external power or the APU.

One thing I just thought to test...  Just turn on the battery, switch standby power to BAT, then start turning things on and see if the battery drains.  If the DC Amps meter is correct, maybe it will not drain.  That would be fun and real handy in an emergency!

I was originally thinking, when I saw you say that the DC Meters showed a negative reading (power draining) when the switch is in the BAT position, that this was the cause of your loss of power. But mine does it too, without losing battery power after 2+ hours, so that can't be the problem. When I did do that Battery only test, and could still start the APU, the first thing I looked at was my setting FSUIPC, just in case I had turned it ON, but forgotten about it. It was not the case.

After sitting around for 20 minutes with the APU running and not losing power (still able to start the engines), I'm at a loss for why you (or anyone else) have the problem while I don't. Why did it happen to me (twice) back then, but not since? I sometimes think that it must have been something I did to cause it. Something in the way the switches were set or the order I did it. I honestly don't think I was doing it any different to back then. This all happened before the Part III - Normal Procedures manual came out, and I have changed to doing it accordingly, but it still won't drain the power and prevent me from continuing a flight. Sad

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top