Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Engine Start Problems (Read 52985 times)
Razor68

Re: Engine Start Problems
Reply #45 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 2:35pm:
Firstly. I take it that you are loading the 707 with the engines already started then?

Secondly. There is a "procedure" to starting the 707. At first I couldn't always get it started. Now I start them first time, every time.

Here is what I do:

Shift + 2 (Animation Panel)
External Power ON. External Air ON.

FE PANEL
Battery.....ON
External Power.....ON or Ground Service (I usually just place the switch to the ON position)
DC Meters Selector.....TR ESS
Essential Power Source Selector.....EXT PWR
AC Paralleling Selector.....EXTERNAL POWER
All 4 Engine Bleed Air switches.....ON
Wing Valves.....OPEN
Left & Right Air-Conditioning Unit Pack Switches.....ON

CONTROL STAND
Engine Start Levers....START/IDLE (CTRL+SHIFT+F4)

OVERHEAD PANEL
GRD START....LOW PRESS
Engine Start Control #3...GRD      After engine #3 starts repeat for engines #4, #1 & #2

FE PANEL
DC Meters Selector.....TR3
Essential Power Source Selector.....GEN 3
AC Paralleling Selector.....GEN 3
External Power.....OFF
Galley Power.....ON

Shift + 2 (Animation Panel)
External Power OFF. External Air OFF.

That should get your engines started for now. I quite often wait for N2 to reach 15-20 before switching the Engine Start Levers to START/IDLE .

Hope this helps.

Mark

EDIT Oct 3rd, 2010 at 4:29pm: Moved External Power.....OFF to the correct order of the procedure as pointed out by Alberto! Thanks.
EDIT2 Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:45am: Added the Left & Right Air-Conditioning Unit Pack Switches.....ON into the start-up procedure. I somehow thought that they and the Wing Valves were the same switches. Sorry. Sad

I can't get the engines to start, have done all you wrote here but no start.

I can hear the engine spool up but it won't ignite. It starts with ctrl+e but thats not my game to start them that way.

What have i left out? Should i see the dials move on spoolup?  Undecided

IP Logged

Razor68

Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Did figure it out. Had to hold the switches to grd until ignition  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #47 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 1:48am
Print Post  
We would have to investigate which (vital) step you are currently missing, Razor.
Be aware that e. g. Mark's checklist is an altered procedure when compared to the checklist in the manual (which is the rw counterpart), but both ways should lead to running engines of course.

The main procedure is to establish external power and air, distribute it through the plane and later get self-sustaining with two engines running, starting the other two then with the power and air 'coming out' of those.
Maybe I can describe the stuff with some pictures, using the checklists from the manual (which is manual3).

Starting with loading your plane, setting up the fuel load and getting it correctly parked. So you may open the doors, apply the chocks and, very important, enable the external power and air.

As we don't have any APU available, you will need this to get power and air for your systems and the AC into your plane.

You switch your battery to on and run through the checks of the levers and switches in the cockpit, which e. g. includes setting the start levers to cutoff position and checking the flaps lever and the one for the gear.

To achieve the external power and air being distributed throughout the plane, set up these things. Note the blue 'PWR on bus' light and the switch for the external power being in the upper ON position (which needs a right click).

The air pressure readings should both be active, low and high pressure.

Make sure to have the wing valves opened or the air won't reach the engines. For starting, leave the bleed air valves off until 3&4 are running, then open them to get pressure into the system for the start of 1&2.

While on the ground and preparing your flight, the galley power can remain on and also one AC unit can run. The ones on the 707 are electrical driven, so they draw quite some power from your ground power unit.
That's one reason to turn both things off just before engine start. Equipment cooling NORM and the planned cabin altitude and temperatures can be set now.
Hydraulic pressure needed? Use this setting to e. g. get some brake pressure.

For the flight and in regard to your fuel load, set up the pumps there.

The setup on the Overhead mainly includes the lights and the engine start control switches. Also choose the LOW PRESS setting for starting.

You see the GRD position on the #3 engine switch being marked there. Don't turn the switch yet, but this is the position to choose for starting her later.

Now or just after getting power to the plane, you set up all the navigational things, align the INS, watch the charts, set the speedbugs and so on.

Getting closer to engine start, close the doors of the plane and make sure to have your INS aligned and set to NAV, the INS/Doppler to INS.

As said, before attempting to start, turn off the galley power and also any AC unit, set the beacon to on and also the passenger signs.
Then rotate the engine #3 start control switch to GRD and watch the N2 gauge to reach approx 15%.

Then switch the engine start lever from the cutoff to the idle position and wait for #3 to ignite it's fuel.

This picture was taken just after the ignition, so the N2 value is much higher than 15% there. Don't get distracted by this, please.

Ok, #3 should be running and you are still on external air supply. So you can start #4 now, in the same way. Around 15% N2 means 'fuel on'.

Now, we want to get rid of the external stuff, so we get the #3 and #4 generators online and on the buses and also make sure that those two running engines now supply our air pressure system, otherwise #1 and #2 won't start after the external air is gone.
So make sure to set the switches like this.

When done and checked, disconnect the external power and air.

You should still have some low pressure readings then (as 3 and 4 now produce pressure) and also enough power, your are self-sustaining now, so they can push you back and stuff.
Starting 2 and 1 then happens like 3 and 4 before. GRD START switch to OFF after this.

After all engines are running, set the galley power, the air compressors on, the engine bleeds off and the AC units both to on. Pressure and power are sufficient enough now.

Things like the radar, transponder, stab trim setting and all the lights are up to you. If you've used the hydraulic interconnect before, you can disable it now.

Before takeoff, turn off the #4 air compressor, turn on the ignition for all engines and also don't forget about the window and pitot heating to run. Clock:go!

At a safe height, the ignition is weather dependant, but can go to off.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #48 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Razor68 wrote on Aug 2nd, 2011 at 1:00am:
Did figure it out. Had to hold the switches to grd until ignition  Cheesy

So see my tutorial as a nice read.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #49 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Razor68 wrote on Aug 2nd, 2011 at 1:00am:
Did figure it out. Had to hold the switches to grd until ignition  Cheesy

That's really strange Razor68. I turn the knobs to GRD and release them. They stay there until the engine starts and then they switch to OFF automatically once the engine is started. Undecided

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #50 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Nice engine start checklist CoolP!

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #51 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Thanks. Did you notice the TWA paint at beautiful Geneva, Lou? It fit well there.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #52 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Yes I did, I wonder if I was in that plane.... Roll Eyes

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

MitchHaughee

Reply #53 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Ok I have litterally done every single thing exactly how it has been done in the tutorials and I still cannot get more than engine 3 and 2 started.  And 2 took about 10 tries.  What gives?  FSX version of the 707, windows 7 64bit.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #54 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Just for testing purposes, does the default Ctrl-E command work for you? Be patient (some steps take time), but it should start all engines.

Do you run any hardware for the mixture axes by any chance? If so, please disconnect them for one flight and make sure that all the VC start levers are in the up position. On this pic, they are down. Just using the pic to show where the levers are located. You can also use the default FSX key command for 'full rich'.

Move those levers all the way up. All four of them and then try to start the engines. Check again if they're up since e.g. a spiking mixture axis is able to move them down and this will cut off the engine almost instantaneously in FSX or just avoid starting it.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #55 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
CoolP is correct. Also, be aware the position labeled START is an enrichment position for cold weather starts.
In all my flying we never used this position and went directly to IDLE

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #56 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:04pm:
CoolP is correct. Also, be aware the position labeled START is an enrichment position for cold weather starts.
In all my flying we never used this position and went directly to IDLE

I have nearly always moved mine to IDLE. In the beginning I put them on START, started the engines, then put them on IDLE.

Nice to hear that a RW 707 pilot never put them in the START position back in the day. Smiley

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

AlOl

Reply #57 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Make sure you move the engine start lever to IDLE as soon as the N2 gauge indicates more than 15%, don't waste time.
As soon as the N2 indication has stabilized at about 20%, it is too late and the engine will not start.

LOU:
By the way, I have been questioning myself many times, why normal procedures require to move the start levers to IDLE instead of START.
Thank you for explaining.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top