Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Engine Start Problems (Read 52987 times)
LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: Engine Start Problems
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Reply #14 - Yesterday at 05:11:21   Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for.

I was also curious about in flight start (eg after I forgot to set my fuel valves on a long flight I was left with a dead engine for the rest of the flight). I saw the procedures for high pressure starts and windmilling in flight but didn't have any luck. Your guide is the straight-forward description a FS noobie like me needs  
Thanks
Dev

Devrij,

Glad you got the low pressure start to work for you. The CS simulator does not give you much time to move the start lever during the engine start procedure. High pressure start is only to start the number 3 engine on the ground from the high pressure bottle. The in-flight (windmilling) start procedure is used for starting an engine without start air by using the ram air that passes through the engine in flight.

Somewhere there is an in-flight start check list. Too bad I did not keep all my old manuals. There should be a flight start envelope to check speed and altitude for the start.

Here is what I remember...

1. Check flight start envelope................................................. CHECK
2. Start lever off..................................................................... OFF
3. Fuel boost pump on............................................................ ON
4. Ignition to flight start......................................................... FLIGHT START
5. Raise start lever to start position...................................... START LEVER - START
6. When engine at idle, start lever to run.............................. RUN
7. Ignition to off...................................................................... OFF
8. Check fuel balance.............................................................. CHECK

Note: we never used the start position during normal start. The start lever was moved directly to run. The start position was used if the air temperature was very cold - sort of like a primer.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Martin S

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Hi. Thanks for the information - the crux is the CTRL+SHIFT+F4 combination - I use the 'Fuel Flow' gauge ('fuelflow.zip' on AVSIM) which adds this function to the cockpit..

But I have a question: In the cargo version of the 707, with APU, how do I get electrics working so that I can get Nav lights etc., without connecting to external power? Surely if the APU is running (which it is - it starts up fine and I close the two Generator switches to activate APU Gen), I shouldn't need to switch Essential Power to 'EXT PWR' to get lights? What if no external power were available and I was relying on the APU for electrics?

Also confusing (to me at least) is why, with APU running, the AC Amps in the APU window shows zero until I flip the SO External Power switch from 'Ground Service' to 'On' (what is the difference between those two settings?) - but that brings up the blue 'fail' light to the left of the switch at the same time.

I also don't know what this means in the 'start up' step-by-step earlier in this thread:

Shift + 2 (Animation Panel)
External Power ON. External Air ON.

What is the 'animation panel'? I get the toggle icons with Shift+2. External Power and air are switched on in the Upper SO, no?

Maybe it would possible to give another step-by-step of the start up you use with the cargo/APU version?

Many thanks,

Martin

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Welcome, Martin.  Smiley

I have some questions regarding your post.
First, did I miss something on the Cargo version since you are talking about an APU there? Since this thing isn't mentioned in the manuals and no switches of that kind are present on the plane, I think that you are mixing up things there. You are speaking of AC Amps in the APU window for example. Where is that window?
No offence intended.

You mention the CTRL+SHIFT+F4 combination to be a problem on the plane. I can't follow you there since it is working fine, moving the cutoff levers. So can you describe the problem in some more detail?  Smiley

Use the ON setting of the Ground Power switch to get a full power distribution, allowing further start and initialization of the systems. Lou explained those two settings before and recommended the upward movement (right click) of the switch.
See this setup for "full power on the plane", electrically spoken.

What is the 'animation panel'?
That actually is the panel you spoke of. Shift-2 and lots of animations to trigger when clicked. Enjoy them.  Smiley

IP Logged

Martin S

Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Hi...The cargo version of the CS 707 has an APU (but not the passenger version) - this is the FS9 version, not FSX (which I don't have). The icon switcher panel (Shift+2) has an APU icon, which opens that window. My manuals explain the APU in some detail - I can only assume we are at crossed purposes here! Smiley

Similarly, perhaps re. Ctrl+Shift+F4. This sets the fuel flow so that engines will start - for instance in the default Learjet. I only meant that having added the AVSIM gauge to the 707 panels, I can use that instead of the keyboard to activate Ctrl+Shift+F4. I didn't mean to imply there was any kind of problem - if I don't activate the Fuel Flow gauge (or hit Ctrl+Shift+F4) the engines start to spool then fail. Otherwise, all is fine (but you knew that already!). The documentation with the gauge explains more, but it's really as simple as that.

The only problem remaining is that I can't get current to the systems working properly - with APU Generators on - without switching the dials on the upper SO panel to 'external'. That doesn't seem right to me, but I'm just about to have another look at this,

Thanks,

Martin

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #19 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Martin.

If you are having a problem with the Legendary 707 for FS9, then you should ask your question in the Legendary 707 - General forum. This is for the 707 Captain for FSX forum. And the '707 Captain' doesn't have an APU. Unfortunately. Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Martin S

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
OK! My fault then (if this forum had had FSX in the title I would have noticed), but the 'problem' is only a cosmetic one, so I may as well leave it. I start up, fly and land the a/c with no issues..

Thanks...

M.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #21 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Martin.

There is no harm in you saying something, or asking a question in here. Sorry if I gave that impression because I never meant to.

The only problem remaining is that I can't get current to the systems working properly - with APU Generators on - without switching the dials on the upper SO panel to 'external'. That doesn't seem right to me, but I'm just about to have another look at this,
But if it is in regards to the Legendary 707, as that is, we might not be able to help.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Martin, for pointing out that you are talking about the FS9 version while I was wondering about FSX.
No harm done.  Smiley

IP Logged

Martin S

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
No, all is fine; thanks for the kind replies. No problem! Except the tiny one I mentioned with the FS9 707 - but as I say, given that I am moving abroad in a few weeks and that the 707 starts up fine (as long as I switch to External Power (even if APU is running), I shan't worry about that for now. Other things to think about .. (I am taking FS9 with me on my Dell XPS laptop as an interim before I can ship my large FS9/FSX PC out there).

M. Smiley

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Nothing to do with this aircraft but I thought I might add that not all apu's provide electric power generation, some aircraft have smaller ones installed solely to provide bleed air for engine starts and don't have sufficient power to run any electric systems.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

glez18

Engine start
Reply #25 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Hi, in real world is possible star two engines at the same time?. Tks

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Re: Engine start
Reply #26 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 4:13am
Print Post  
In the 707, I wouldn't know, but in say the 757 yes you can. As long as APu is running to supply extra charge to batteries. See, engies are started 1 at a time because back in the reciprocating days, you would check to make sure all things are working properly. Nowadays, there are less problems as in the reciprocating engines, but each engine must be monitered and starting both simultaniously would mean that the pilot & copilot can't check the engines carefully and have each other to correct for the other's error.

IP Logged

glez18

Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Cheesy 757? no tks, B707 any idea?

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Well, I don't know, you probably can, and I hope you appreciated my bit of expertise.

IP Logged

Vlado

Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Yes you can start 2 engines on the 707 at the same time...
However, this is not very good thing to do, and pilots do not operate the aircraft in this way either...

Best regards,&&Vladimir&&Former MiG-21 pilot, from the old Yugoslavia&&&&Subscribe to my youtube channel for high quality FSX videos every week!&&http://www.youtube.com/simreviews&&;&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top