10 ADF (Read 14705 times)
LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: ADF
Reply #15 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:31am
Print Post  
The old ADF in the 707 & 727 were just like tuning an old AM radio. You would place the frequency under the lubber line and then move back and forth until you got the best signal. If there was a lot of noise and the signal was weak you could turn on the BFO and that would help you tune to the station. Of course, you would always ID the station using Morse code. The later planes had digital tuning in the ADF - that took the fun out of getting on frequency. You could use any AM station as well as aviation stations in the ADF. The only problem with commercial stations was that they only identified themselves every so often.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Islander

Re: ADF
Reply #16 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 4:24am
Print Post  
LOU has covered the NDB/ADF useage in the Captain Sim aircraft well. I would only add the following regarding the expected range. It appears to me that the default setting in FSX is for between 20 and 50 nm which are low powered NDB's. So if your not getting it think about not using it or expecting to get a signal indication until you are within about 40 nm unless it is a locator beacon where were only good for 10-20 nm.

For many years the NDB was the radio navigation aid standard and in some countries the only available radio aid and some were very high powered indeed and the ranges exceptional, for example, in Australia where I used to fly maritime patrol aircraft the Sydney NDB could be picked up at 400 nm and similalry for the Perth NDB, Townsville was also very good and good be picked up at several hundred miles. The NDB approach was until very recently mandatory here in OZ for any Instrument Rating Renewal no matter if you never really used it, so you got to know them and their idisosynchrasies very well. And if your really wanted a flying and cockpit dexterity challenge try a twin locator approach quite a few of which still exist here in OZ (like at Darwin) and around the world, Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top