Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Tutorial (Read 36540 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Tutorial
Jul 14th, 2010 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Here is the progress so far on the tutorial.  It will be in PDF format with some better formatting.  Navigraph has given me permission to use their EGLL and LEPA charts for it.

Most of the information is right out of the Normal Procedures Volume of the Manual.  The other major source is Captain Mike Ray's 757/767 book (which I highly recommend).  

Captain Sim 757-200, Jet 2 livery by McPhat, Apron items by another company’s AES

LONDON EGLL - PALMA LEPA

In this tutorial, you will be piloting the 757-200 from London to Palma.  The first thing we need to do is to set up the simulation.  Load the cold-and-dark 757-200 flight and change it to the airline of your choice.  Move it to EGLL, Parking 3.  Pick “Dawn” “Summer” as your time and season from the World Menu on the Menu Bar.  Now exercise your powers of weather control by going to WorldŕWeather and clicking the User-Defined Weather radio button followed by “Customize.”  Select the radio button “All Weather Stations.”  Adjust the visibility slider to 10 sm.  Make the wind come from approximately 270 degrees at light or moderate.  (What this does is force FSX to use the runways we want to use in this tutorial.)

Next make sure you have your charts at hand.  We will be taking  off from 27 R. Our Standard Instrument Departure (SID) will be Midhurst 4F.  On the other end, we will be using the Standard Terminal Arrival Lore1P with the POS transition.  We are planning to land on runway 24 R there, too.  By kind permission of Navigraph, the charts are reproduced here for your training and available at the end of this tutorial.

Now that the sim is set up and we have gathered our charts, it is time to perform our walk-around and get the airplane ready to fly.  

Doing the dispatch work for a flight is surprisingly easy.  All it takes is some simple addition.  Load your passengers and cargo in ACE, noting the total payload weight plus 850 (ACE doesn’t take the crew into account).  Write that down.  (Don’t forget to hit SAVE,)  Beneath that, write 130,875 lbs, which is always the empty weight of your 757-200 as read by FSX. (The weight is considerably lighter than the real thing.)  Add those together to get your Zero Fuel Weight (ZFW).  

99 happy holiday passengers and 9000 lbs of cargo.

Beneath your ZFW write 5000 for minimum fuel at landing.  Beneath that, write another 5000 for your alternate airport, provided it is no more than about 200 miles away.  Then put a third 5000 down for contingencies.  Add those to your ZFW to find your Planned Landing Weight.  Now you need to know how much fuel the trip will take.  Captain Sim recommends using the fuel estimate from the Nav Log of your route.  To get it, load your 757 in FSX, load the route and open the Nav Log to find the fuel estimate.   From London EGLL to Palma LEPA, FSX guesses 13402.   Finally, add this number to your Planned Landing Weight to get your Gross Takeoff Weight.  

Payload                   24700
Empty Weight           130875
Zero Fuel Weight           155575
Min Fuel                     5000      
Alternate Fuel                     5000
Contingency Fuel                5000
Planned Landing Wt         170575      
Trip Fuel                           13402     London EGLL to Palma LEPA
Gross Takeoff Wt             183977

Total Fuel =  28402          load through FSX
(That's 98% in L and R tanks, Center Empty)

You will need your ZFW to plug into your INIT REF page in your FMC.  For reserves on that same page, in theory it should be 15,000 lbs assuming an uneventful trip.  However, FSX fuel estimate is usually light, so you’ll probably be closer to minimum fuel when the flight is done.  It is probably a good idea to check your final weights against the maximums below:

Weight Restrictions

Maximum Taxi Weight         221,000 lbs
Maximum Takeoff Weight    220,000 lbs
Maximum Landing Weight    198,000 lbs
Maximum ZFW                    184,000 lbs

COCKPIT PREPARATION

Again, it is surprisingly easy to get this airplane up and running.  Think of the overhead as a “panel of panels.”  The secret is to develop a “flow,” where you are working through items in an efficient and logical manner.  The flow is up to you, but in general I work from left to right on the overhead, and up and down as I progress through the panels.  There will be exceptions, e.g. I like to turn the position light on right after the battery to indicate there is life in the aircraft.  Let’s wake this bird up!  NOTE: Bold items are the bare minimum for proper sim functioning; italicized items are there for realism.

Battery Switch                        ON verify discharge light out
Standby Power Selector              AUTO
Position Lights                      ON          
IRS Selectors            NAV verify ALIGN lights on
Yaw Damper Switches      ON
Generator Control Switches      OFF
Electric Hyd. Pump Switches      OFF
Engine Hyd. Pump Switches      ON
Bus Tie Switches            AUTO
L & R Utility Bus Switches      ON
L & R Engine Generator Switches      ON do not touch L & R GEN DRIVE  DISC!

You now have battery power established and have configured your electrical and hydraulic panels.  Your battery will not last forever, though, and in any case doesn’t make bleed air for your air conditioning packs and engine starts.  So next we need to get a generator on line.  You may use the ground power unit to provide electricity and bleed air: (E & B on Icon Panel + EXT PWR ON on overhead).  In this case, however, we will use the auxiliary power unit (APU) which is a small turbine engine in the tail of your aircraft.

APU Bleed                  OFF
APU Selector Switch            START
APU Generator Switch      ON            
Emergency Lights Switch      ARMED            
Pax Oxygen On Light            OUT
Window Heat Switches      ON            
Ram Turbine UNLKD light      OUT
Engine Selector            1 or 2            
Engine Start Selectors            AUTO
Fuel Crossfeed Switches      OFF            
Fuel Pump Switches            OFF            
                 fwd pump light off if APU running
Fuel Quantity and Balance      CHECK

We will continue working our way through the overhead items in the next installment.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Raymar99

Re: Start Tutorial
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I like it, a lot.  Smiley  Why don't you go ahead and pdf it so we can download it and start using it.

RayM

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I want to get it finished and formatted before a release.  But thanks for the encouragement, Ray.  It is mainly the screenshots that take time.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Tim
This looks like it will be very useful and well worth the time you spend doing it. When it is finished I will try whole deal myself thru the end of the flight. Where is Palma? I noticed that under weather themes there is Orbx 1 thru 4. What kind of theme is that and where did it come from?

Thank you
Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

wims

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Palma de Mallorca in the mediterranian sea off the coast of Spain

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
DAL191 wrote on Jul 15th, 2010 at 5:48pm:
Tim
This looks like it will be very useful and well worth the time you spend doing it. When it is finished I will try whole deal myself thru the end of the flight. Where is Palma? I noticed that under weather themes there is Orbx 1 thru 4. What kind of theme is that and where did it come from?

Thank you
Michael Cubine

Palma is a lovely vacation spot in the med.  ORBX does great Australian scenery and those are some wx themes that came with it.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:59am
Print Post  

If you wish, you may switch to the First Officer viewpoint to handle the right side of the overhead, but with practice you will find this is not necessary.

Wing Anti Ice Switch            OFF
Engine Anti Ice Switch            OFF
Wiper Selector            OFF
No Smoking Switch            ON
Seatbelts Switch            ON
Cabin Alt. Auto Rate Control      INDEX
Cabin Alt. Mode Select      SET AUTO1 odd days, AUTO2 even
Landing Alt. Selector            SET destination airport elevation
Engine Bleed Air Switches      ON verify OFF lights on
APU Bleed Air Switch            ON verify VALVE light out, wait 1 min after APU start
Isolation Switch            ON verify VALVE light out
Pack Control Selectors      AUTO verify PACK OFF lights on
Trim Air Switch            ON
Recirculation Fan Switches      ON verify INOP lights out
Temperature Controls            AUTO
Alt. Equipment Cooling Switch      AUTO nothing showing

This concludes our work on the overhead.  Now let’s move down to the panel.

VOR/DME Switch            AUTO
Flight Director Switch            ON
EICAS Display            CHECK verify indicators & adequate oil for flight
Computer Selector            AUTO
Thrust Reference Set Selector      BOTH and IN

NEXT: Programming the FMC

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Re: Tutorial
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 4:38am
Print Post  
FMC: INITIALIZATION

Now we must program the flight management computer (FMC).  This can look daunting, but if you take it step-by-step and learn why you are doing the things you are doing there is no reason this should be difficult.

Data is entered into the scratch pad at the bottom of the display using the alpha-numeric keypad.  The entry is then pasted into the display using the Line Select Keys on the left and right of the display.  We will refer to them as L1 through L6 on the left side, and R1 through R6 on the right.  Above the keypad and below the display are buttons that allow you to directly navigate from one page to another.  In general, when you are through setting up a page, a prompt to the next step in the sequence will appear in the lower right corner of the display, next to the R6 key.  Other keys you should be familiar with are DEL, which deletes entries that have been placed in the display, CLR, which clears the scratch pad, and EXEC, an important button that executes your flight plan when you first enter it or make changes.

The very first page we are greeted with tells us whether we have taken control of the right airplane, and provides information such as the date of the navdata and the program number.  A message in the scratch pad gives us our first task: ENTER IRS POSITION.  Use the CLR button to clear that message, because we will need the scratch pad empty.  We will now learn the important techniques of entering data into the scratch pad, copying and pasting.

Hit R6 to move to the POS INIT page.  (Do you see how you were prompted to the correct step in the sequence?)  This is where we will enter our current position so the airplane knows where it is.  Unless this is done correctly, the Primary Flight Display and autopilot will not work.  Note that there are dashed lines under REF AIRPORT and boxes further down on the display.  Any time you see dashes, you have the OPTION to enter information into that line.  Boxes, however, indicate a REQUIRED entry.  Here, let’s type “EGLL” into the scratch pad.  Press the L2 key to transfer what you just typed to the REF AIRPORT line.  Now copy the coordinates that appeared to the scratch pad by using the R2 key.  Finally, use the R5 key to paste them from the scratch pad to the boxes.  The computer now knows where it is and can start to work with the Inertial Reference System that we turned on a little earlier.  Congratulations! You have programmed your first page and are well on your way to mastering the FMC.

Before we leave the POS INIT page, do you see 1 / 4 in the upper right corner?  That tells us this is page one of four.  Go ahead and use the NEXT PAGE button to navigate through the following three pages, making sure all of the data looks correct.  (It should be.)  Cycle back to the first page and find “ROUTE>“ in the lower right corner of the display.  Just as we navigated to the POS INIT page in proper order, we will use the R6 key to go to the ROUTE page, our next stop.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
FMC: ROUTE

There are three ways to enter a route.  The simplest is to use the "Request SEND" L3 button to select an FSX flight plan.  You may also type in the name of a previously-saved company route.  Finally, the method we will use is to directly program the FMC.  

Start by typing "EGLL" into the scratch pad.  Use the L1 key to transfer it into the ORIGIN blocks.  Use the same method with R1 to place "LEPA" into the DEST blocks.  You may add any suitable flight number depending on your livery, e.g. "BA812."  That's all for this page.  Use the NEXT PAGE button to go to Page 2.

If you have looked at an FSX flight plan, you will have seen each waypoint listed separately.  You can certainly program the FMC that way if you want, but we are going to use a better way.  Our route for this flight will be:

MID UA34 SITET UN859 BCN LORES

MID, SITET, BCN and LORES are fixes.  The three-lettered ones are radio navigation aids, and the five-lettered ones are intersections.  UA34 and UN859 are airways.

First type MID and push R1 to put it in the TO column on the right-hand side.  You will be confronted with a new page listing more than one MID.  You must determine which is the right one, in this case the first.  Select that.  

Next, UA34 goes into the left-hand VIA column using L2.  Next ETRAT goes in the DIRECT (right) column, followed by UN859 in the VIA column.  Finally, BCN and LORES go in the TO column.  It's that simple.

When you have finished, push R6 next to the ACTIVATE prompt.  A couple of things will happen.  The PERF INIT prompt will appear in the lower right corner of the display, but, more importantly, the EXEC button will light up.  Push it to complete programming.  It bears repeating: ACTIVATE, then PUSH EXEC.  You must do this after any change to your route.

Now that we have finished programming our route, let's check it out on the map.  Push the LEGS button.  You will see a list of all your waypoints: many more than what you entered.  All waypoints along your airways are entered automatically.  (Altitude will be filled in later.)  Now find your HSI controls on the console to the right of the pilot's seat.  Select PLAN and set the RANGE to 80 nm.  You will see a STEP prompt in the lower right corner of your FMC display.  By pushing R6 you can move from one waypoint to the next, both in the display and on the plan view.  Go ahead and look at your entire route to make sure everything seems correct.

This concludes programming your route into the FMC.

NEXT: PERF INIT

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Oops, I get an error on the Route entry - MID - Not in Database -

Here is what I have for an FMC -ID

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I am surprised Midhurst isn't in your database!  Do you have a MID3G SID?

Anyone else with this problem?

As an alternative, you can have FSX build you a route.  High Altitude Airways, FL 370.  Then request SEND and pick it out of the list.  You can then activate and execute it, go to LEGS and check it out on the plan display, just as described.  The only thing you'll miss is the fun of programming in airways.  You still ought to be able to use the SID and STAR, although you might have to monkey with either end of your flight plan a bit to make the transitions fit.

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I have the Midhurst 3g SID and I have MID vor. I created a fsx plan and brought in in to see if I could.

It looks like this

I just went to the fsx map and zoomed in on the route.  MID instersection and MID VOR are one in the same.

Maybe I need to make another cut at entering the data in the FMC.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  
That looks okay except toward the destination you are going to want to come in from a more north-easterly direction.  Try to edit your plan eastward a bit so you hit BCN on Spain's southern coast and get to intersection LORES.  That will allow you to use the LORE1P STAR and the tutorial should work fine.  As long as the transitions MID and LORES are gotten to, and you have the MID4F SID and LORE1P STAR it will work.

I'll create an FSX flight plan I guess.  I'm still puzzled why the navdata doesn't include MID.

EDIT: ROUTE SHOULD BE OKAY NOW.

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I was able to select both the SID (Midhurst 3G) and STAR (Lore1P) and Runways of choice.  Gate 314 Heavy was not available, so I picked 314 Medium.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Here are the charts for the tutorial, reproduced with the permission of Navigraph.  www.navigraph.com  You're more than welcome to work ahead, and the feedback is appreciated.

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:36am
Print Post  
OK, I have a fsx route that is almost the same as your original.  You know we can always print this out and input in manaully for the learning experience.

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Tim, after all that I went back and started completely from the beginning and did not have a problem with mid (had the 3 choices) and started clicking away with the FMC route input.  It rejected QU203 and PUMAL but took everything else.

I believe we are back in business with your original plan.  I checked the legs and the map plan on the EFIS and stepped thru it.  I have to link up the SID and STAR but it looks good now.

I have no clue and what went wrong an hour ago.

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Tim:

Could you post an airport chart of Palma. It's helpful to know how long a runway is. The first time I landed at KLGA I firgured Rwy4 was probably 8-9000 long not 7000. I was thinking "what's happin" as the plane went thru the chain link fence into the East river.

Michael Cubine

btw: I cheated. I flew the flight earlier today. I figured 24R couldn't be shorter than 7000 feet.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't tell you to land at a runway that was too short. would I?   Smiley

I don't have permission to post any charts except the one's I have posted. It is 3200 meters.  That's 10,500 feet.

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
DAL191 wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:42pm:
Could you post an airport chart of Palma.

Michael Cubine

http://www.virtualiroma.it/eventi/VARPALMA/LEPA_Palma.pdf

Here you are, first click on a google for LEPA elev.

IP Logged

loller26

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 6:31am
Print Post  
how do you activate the ground crew?

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 3:37am
Print Post  
LOL -- Have you ever wished you could go back in time and give sound advice to yourself? Now that I'm starting over, this is kind of like that, only it is past me speaking to then-future me. Almost... metaphysical.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Tim Capps wrote on Oct 29th, 2013 at 3:37am:
LOL -- Have you ever wished you could go back in time and give sound advice to yourself? Now that I'm starting over, this is kind of like that, only it is past me speaking to then-future me. Almost... metaphysical.

And who would have thought that your own tutorial was going to help you "get back into it" way back then!  Grin Grin Grin

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Cast your bread upon the waters, as the saying goes Smiley I am busy putting together a Microsoft One Note notebook will all my flight sim stuff. Kind of like scrapbooking like old ladies do? But it's in my Skydrive so I have access to it any time any where, just in case I want to review Vol. 4 of my 757 documentation in class.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 6:18am
Print Post  
I have a link to Skydrive on my Desktop in Windows 8.1, but I haven't even clicked on it yet. Undecided

I still prefer Windows 7! Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Rhys Barber

Reply #25 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
nice

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top