Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 2 Crashes With REX None Without (Read 11695 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

2 Crashes With REX None Without
Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Tried the KATL-UUEE route twice with REX weather.  An hour or two into flight plane pitched up, lost airspeed and crashed.  Third time, everything the same, except no REX.  No problems.

Any thoughts?  I was wondering if REX icing was to blame, but I am assuming the CS767 has heated pitot tubes.  Also I wasn't in clouds.  I am beginning to wonder if REX is causing problems.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

cantland

Re: 2 Crashes With REX None Without
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 12:52am
Print Post  
I use Flight Environment X which is a graphics addon only and uses the FSX weather engine. Have you tried going back to FSX weather and selecting user defined weather/advanced weather and selecting severe icing to see how the 767 reacts to those conditions? I haven't tried this myself,but it might be interesting to see the results. I'm not sure how icing effects are modeled with either the default aircraft or the Captain Sim models.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:05am
Print Post  
I did an experiment when I was review-testing Weather Radar & the first iteration of the 767.  I set up some very high-topped clouds in FSX -- I think they were 56,000 foot monsters -- and enabled ice, and turbulence.  Pretty much the same conditions as the Air France Airbus faced.

The weather radar performed beautifully, but the point was not to avoid the bad weather in this instance.  Into the maw flew I, and quickly lost control in the same manner.  So I suspect that it is indeed weather-related, although the two times with REX it was in clear air, not clouds.

I posted on the REX site without response.  Right now I am flying from Bahrain to London with REX and so far so good, although I turned off the weather engine after the tell-tale difficulties reaching cruise altitude.  Now I'm stick with a 108 kt. headwind that I hadn't planned for, based on the charts, so I'm going to have to do something about that, I guess.

I love how REX looks, but I may use the textures with the FSX weather engine for long hauls.  I am beginning to have my suspicions about its suitability for those.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim.

Is this REX v2.0? Because I just purchased it 2 1/2 hours ago Cry

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Oh, I'm happy with REX, so believe me, you'll like it.  I am just wondering if it plays well with my favorite airplanes.  I'm not saying it doesn't.  Just trying to put together the data.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Well, another long flight fell out of the sky after a REX weather update.  It looks like my favorite airplane and my favorite weather program do not play well together.  Is anyone completing a significant number of long flights using the REX weather engine and the CS767?

Again, I love REX and will use it when I can, but it doesn't look like the wx engine is going to be used when I'm in the CS767.

IP Logged

JaskanFactor

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I am having weather issues with the 767 and ASA as well.

I noticed that when using this plane, the wind direction shown on ASA and FSX are different.

It seems the plane is not allowing the wind direction in FSX to be updated by ASA.

But if i go to FSX weather menu, not chnage anything, just click ok and exit the fax weather menu, the wind direction and wind speed on FSX then matches what is shown on ASA.

After trying another plane with no such issues, i ahve come to conclusion that its a bug in CS 767.

I am not too suprised about this though cuase there is an existing cs767 bug that means its bombarding FSX with too many useless messages that slows down the whole sim, hence the low fps. But this could also be the reason weather programs are having problem wotking with cs767.

Also i noticed that if i try to load another plane in fsx while the cs767 is the current, fsx crashes.

This is a nice plane, but a very buggy product.

If you using cs767  with ASA, currently it looks like the wind  data in FSX never gets updated, you could fly from USA to UK and you will have the same wind speed and direction all the way.

I think the ind data aint in FSX aint being allowed the time to update cause of all the unused messages cs767 is bombarding FSX with.

I already sent a ticket about the useless tons of cs767 messages slowing down the sim, i just dont have the time to start sending yet another ticket about yet another problem with Wind data, since am not getting paid to test the product.

And for what its worth i bought REX2, but i have deleted it and moved to using REX1 for textures only. ITs another buggy product.

Cs767 is not allowing ASA to update FSX wind speed and direction data, so am stuck with same wind  speed and direction throughout a 5 hour flight.

IP Logged

cantland

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
I use Flight Environment X for the graphics and FSX's weather engine set to real time weather without a problem. The weather updates throughout the flight. What are these useless messages that you're refering too?

IP Logged

JaskanFactor

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 1:11am
Print Post  
cantland wrote on Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:41pm:
I use Flight Environment X for the graphics and FSX's weather engine set to real time weather without a problem. The weather updates throughout the flight. What are these useless messages that you're refering too?

I do get weather, i do get storms where  ASA says storms, but the wind speed and direction does not get updated properly or at all. It only gets updated when i go to fsx weather just click ok and then exit, but that update does not get updated either unless i do the same trick again.

The useless mesages i talk about is already been reported so you can check the submited tickets for details.

Its a continious stream of fuel selector and anti ice messages sent by cs767 to fsx, you can see the messages if you use fsuipc fsx message logging tool.

CS have acknowledged this problem and say they will fix in next update.

Even with fsx weather are you sure you are getting the real world weather wind speed and direction, since you have no reference point to check it with.

Using ASA i can see what wind data should be, and what i see in fsx when using cs767 is different, but if i go to fsx eather menu click ok and exit again, the data then matches, but still does not get updated at the next ASA win data change.

I use Fspax, fuel planning and arrival time based on weather is part of what i enjoy in fsx, but with cs767 seems you never know what weather you gona get, cuase it gets stock on some random wind data along the  way.

IP Logged

cantland

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I don't know if the FSX weather data is accurate or not,but it does update and constantly change during the flight. I would assume that the FSX is accurate to some degree since the FSX weather engine is supposed to link to real world Jeppeson weather data. I was planning on purchasing ASA. I still may do in the near future and report my findings. I checked the FSUIPC log and you were correct,just a steady stream of fuel selector and anti-ice logs.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 6:41am
Print Post  
About the logging, I suppose the next question is whether that degrades performance and what might be done about it.

I have learned that 3d party wx programs don't always play well with complex addons.  FSX does not do a horrible job, and the main advantage I am getting from REX is better textures.  I like the product and those guys, but they are still working out a lot of kinks.  If it lives up to its potential, it will be one of the greatest add-ons ever.  It is admittedly anecdotal evidence, but since the only problems I have had were when I used REX, I am satisfied it is to be avoided with this particular airplane.

IP Logged

JaskanFactor

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I dont know if you have used fsuipc to checke the continuos stream of garbage cs767 sends to fsx.

Its so much, and so fast that i am certain that cs767 will be more, if not much more framerate friendly once the bug is fixed.

The frames you get with cs767 is just too low, and i seriously suspect this contstant stream of useless messages has got to do with the low fps we get with this plane.

As for Rex2 i tried it , and its bugs  led to full fsx reinstall for me, so  i went back to rex1. i use rex only for textures and ASA for weather.

ASA is a great very intuitive easy to use WX program for FSX, i wouldnt even consider rex in place of it.

That said REx2 will be great if they made the GUI less confusing, and remove the bugs that make you the user, feel like a beta tester.

And never trust anything anybody tells you on avsim either, its run by a bunch of crooks that are always pretending to be fellow simmers, infact avsim is full of people giving great reviews about buggy to hell products.

ASA is 1 million times better than REX2 anytime, infact there is no competition. But rex textures are also worth the money, as for the rex weather engine, its just too buggy and confusing.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Well, as an AVSIM staff reviewer, I don't know that I would agree with your characterization. I am free to say what I want to say and take pains to point out the deficiencies in any product I review. All of them have good points and bad points. You wouldn't believe the number of hours I spend working through the 767, flight after flight, so I can provide an accurate assessment. I have to be the one to eventually be in a position to answer all the questions. That's why I've been working on this particular review since July and don't consider it close to being finished. Even then it's just my opinion.

Is it going to get a good review? Everyone gets to wait and see, including Captain Sim. I can tell you it will be as accurate as I know how to make it. Programing details aren't important though. If I get 20 FPS I'll say so. Same if I get 5, or 40. In the end, if I can have a smooth experience with some personally acceptable level of compromise, I don't do shift+z much.

Perhaps your being banned over there has contributed to your unpleasant feelings toward AVSIM? Just relax. This is a fun hobby. People let too much drama interfere with their enjoyment sometimes. If you make a navigational error, just get back on course and enjoy the flight. No offense intended.

I have been simming a long time, and the issue of complex add-ons and third party weather is nothing new.

IP Logged

JaskanFactor

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I am much further away from all this than you , i am not on anybody's staff, i am just a user of FSX with many addons, some worth the money and some addons not worth the paper the money is printed on.

So my opinions about products are totally, fully impartial, cuase i do not know even the continent that these fsx addon developers are from, never mind knowing thier names. So my opinions are never biased in anyway. THAT IS WHY I WAS KICKED FROM AVSIM.

And anybody  going around saying Rex2 is ok , without mentioning the fact that Rex2 damages or deletes  the exe.xml fsx file should not be trusted.

As for cs767 its got great VC, great cabin views which is very rare, and i do hope the lower than average fps we are getting is to do with the message spaming issue, cuase when fixed the fps hopefully too should go up aswell,

so i look forward to the cs767 fix which i am told should include fix for cs767 spam messages to fsx.

As for avsim, its a shop pretending to be a public area, with all the sales staff there pretending to be innocent people passing by, whilst recomending buy this buy that, even products that are known to be terrible.

As for cs767 review, its got the best cabin view in fsx, and i really like a good cabin view, a point another company missed out on. another company cabin view where it exists is like a nursery school art project.

No offence, just another point of view.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 1:45am
Print Post  
For the record REX patched their xml issue, which I agree was very bad, so I don't think it has to be brought up every time someone mentions REX now. I think you'll find me cautious about REX where warranted and giving praise where due, as I do with every product I opine about.

You can believe what you want about AVSIM, and I, too, have disagreed with some past reviews. I disagree with a lot of popular sentiment on AVSIM boards, too, you may have noticed. There has been a tilt toward some devs and away from others, although thankfully, I believe things are much more balanced now. But that's the fan base, not AVSIM. I have never been discouraged from stating my opinion as a reviewer. The reviewers are volunteers who are trying to help the community and exercise their writing skills. The only thing we get is a free copy of some of the stuff we review, unless we already have it (like I did the 767).

I don't really think we disagree on much here at all, except you don't like AVSIM. I am the one who started this post wondering if REX is working well with this add-on. In my opinion it doesn't, and I have also stated that at their website. REX has problems, but most people learn to live with the less than perfect in their hobby and try to enjoy it and get along with people. If this 767 could stand to have its code improved in the area you keep posting about, then great. Life goes on. Relax, Max.

I understand you are expressing your point of view, but where that point of view at least indirectly indicts my integrity, I think you'll agree I have a right to state the facts as I know them. I do not take offense. I am a capital defense lawyer IRL and long ago learned to shrug off anything short of a brick to the head. I also learned to make a good record.  And if you run around calling people crooks you're probably going to get banned again.  Note it won't be for discussing the 767.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top