Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Why doesnt the FMS work as in the Tutorial here? (Read 3844 times)
Fedex421

Why doesnt the FMS work as in the Tutorial here?
Jul 12th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Just bough the plane, went here and found the tutorial on how to program the FMS.
Engines started (which BTW, the picture in the tutorial does NOT look like my panel when engines are running. Too many lights on the pitcture) All the lights go out with exception of window heat and some line directly right of the blinking align lights

First step> set IRS switches to ALIGN. They go black.
Next step> set IRS switches to NAV. They blink constantly. Never stop. FMS presents with message that says IRS alignment needed (something like that)

Clear FMS message. Follow steps down to load flightplan.
Next step>Request send
Next step>Flightsim plns
Next step>Select the plan. NOTHING happens  It just sits there and looks at me. I tried repeating the entire procedure 3 times from the beginning of the tutorial. Same result each time.
Blinking Align lights
Will not laod FS flightplan.

If this tutorial doesn't work get rid of it. Pretty disgusted.
Yes, I RTFM. If you insist on saying that, how about providing the page with the answer? Angry

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Why doesnt the FMS work as in the Tutorial here?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Fedex421 wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 8:49pm:
Just bough the plane, went here and found the tutorial on how to program the FMS.
Engines started (which BTW, the picture in the tutorial does NOT look like my panel when engines are running. Too many lights on the pitcture) All the lights go out with exception of window heat and some line directly right of the blinking align lights

First step> set IRS switches to ALIGN. They go black.
Next step> set IRS switches to NAV. They blink constantly. Never stop. FMS presents with message that says IRS alignment needed (something like that)

Clear FMS message. Follow steps down to load flightplan.
Next step>Request send
Next step>Flightsim plns
Next step>Select the plan. NOTHING happens  It just sits there and looks at me. I tried repeating the entire procedure 3 times from the beginning of the tutorial. Same result each time.
Blinking Align lights
Will not laod FS flightplan.

If this tutorial doesn't work get rid of it. Pretty disgusted.
Yes, I RTFM. If you insist on saying that, how about providing the page with the answer? Angry

That tutorial was done a long time ago by a member of the forum. It is not an official tutorial, but it's the only tutorial available in the forum for the 757. No one has done another one since aussie did that one back in September 2008. Sad

With the IRS switches, turn them directly to NAV - DO NOT switch them to ALIGN, then NAV because it doesn't work. The manual does say this, but I didn't own the 757 back in 2008, so I don't know if it has changed or was never working doing it that way.

Loading the flight plans that way should work. I'm sure it worked for me the last time I did it. I usually create a route, then save it as a .RT file so it can be loaded in again next time I fly the route (I never save a rote with the SID and STAR included).

Try doing this one that i did for the 767 (which is similar to the 757): http://rapidshare.com/files/3612617937/CAPTAIN%20SIM%20767%20FMC%20TUTORIAL.zip - It's 1.56MB (zip file) the tutorial is in pdf format. Adobe Acrobat reader required.
I should convert for the 757, but I need to be "in the mood" to do it. Undecided

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Fedex421

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
"With the IRS switches, turn them directly to NAV - DO NOT switch them to ALIGN, then NAV because it doesn't work. "

Tried that, doesn't work either. Align lights still blinking. I switched them straight to NAV as you suggested. They appear to perform the alignment, then start blinking.
Engines running. All lights off on panel. Confirm plane not moving. Parking brake on.
I can make them turn off by switching to the ATT position, but i have no idea what that does as it is not mentioned in the manual.

With respect to the imported flightplan I find this:
"The FLTSIM FPLS on the bottom of SELECT CO RTE page opens IMPORT FS FPL page. This page lists all flight
plans (.FPL files) created and saved by the Flight Simulator built-in flight planner. Selecting any entry
imports the corresponding flight plan waypoints into the FMC."

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that I can load a simple flightplan that was created within FSX. Correct?

IP Logged

Fedex421

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Well I go them to stop blinking but have no idea how. Just clicked on a bunch of things and changed the sequence of how I started the plane. There is some relation with the FMS , obviously, but sometimes it would blink and sometimes it wouldnt. Once i copied the GPS data from from line to the other and it stopped. Another time it didn't.
With no guide, its a failure from the get go.

Ok, enough of this nonsense. 2 hours and no flying. Got better things to do.
Tks for your reply. might mention to the creators if they want new business, get a tutorial going somewhere that is dated.
Cause I'm just about out.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Hey Fedex421,

This plane works a lot like the real plane.

You said you read the manual???  Roll Eyes

Part III – Normal Procedures - On page 10 of the 757 manual from Captain Sim - you must have missed that page!  Tongue

During pre-flight you place the IRS to NAV.

IRS mode selectors…………………………………………OFF, then NAV
Verify ALIGN lights illuminated.
For all flights, a full alignment is recommended.

You must then enter the aircraft position in the CDU under POS INIT.

Once you start the alignment process, you can then build the flight plan.

The ALIGN lights are blinking because they are telling you they NEED the planes position! Once the position is entered the lights will stop blinking and the IRS will be set for NAV.

Fedex said: I can make them turn off by switching to the ATT position, but i have no idea what that does as it is not mentioned in the manual.

It is mentioned in the manual: ‘757 Captain’ FLIGHT MANUAL Part II – Aircraft Systems page 11  Shocked

6, 7, 8. IRS Mode Selectors
Rotate - controls mode of related IRS.
Must be pulled out to move from NAV position.
OFF-
- alignment is lost
- ALIGN light illuminates for 30 seconds as system goes through a shutdown sequence
- realignment requires about 30 seconds while the airplane is parked and entry of present position
(latitude and longitude).
ALIGN-
- initiates alignment when parked
- initiates a quick alignment if selected when the system is in the navigation mode.
NAV-
- normal operational mode
- permits system to enter NAV mode after completing alignment
- initiates a 30 seconds alignment if selected from OFF.
ATT-
- provides only attitude and heading information
- position and ground speed information lost until system realigned on ground
- when selected airborne, ALIGN light illuminates for 30 seconds while system senses local level
(requires level flight)
- magnetic heading input required to initialize heading output
- the selector must be cycled through OFF to re-enter ALIGN or NAV mode.
© 2011 Captain Sim www.captainsim.com

This plane is a complex modern aircraft, so you do need to read the CS manual.

Lou  Wink

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top