Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Landing in VC (Read 4045 times)
hawkeye1112

Landing in VC
Dec 16th, 2008 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I'm new to the 757 and I love the exterior model.  I always fly using the virtual cockpit, but I find it very difficult to land using the VC, especially viewing airspeed and the ILS.  If I zoom out so I can see those items, I have a hard time seeing them clearly.

Any suggestions or how do other people land?

Thanks,

Jeff

IP Logged

FuturePilot^

Re: Landing in VC
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
well sometimes i land in virtual cockpit by having the pfd zoomed up on the right. Well i just bought the cs757 so i dont know if you can press the screen and then they pop up Smiley But i think it can!!

IP Logged

jtsearay

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I almost always land using the VC because when approaching at slow speeds the nose is so high you can't see the runway in the 2D view.

I just tilt the VC view down a little to be able to see the airspeed indicator and ADI.  I also, have 2 monitors and usually put the autopilot, CDU and ND on the 2nd monitor, but you can do it without this.

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I use the VC to land as well. What I do is press 'Shift+Enter' and 'Shift+ Backspace' to move the 'eyepoint' where I want it, then zoom in so that I can see the PFD. With a little fine tuning you should be able to get things exactly where you want them.

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

Cthulhus

If it's Boeing,   I'm
going !

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Having the Airspeed Bugs as a popup should be great ...

Xavier Jehl (Cthulhus) &&&&
IP Logged

pilot7893

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
I just do Shift-Z to display all nessesary information. Works like a charm. Grin

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Just to be sure, you guys are aware of "Mouse Look" in VC in FSX, right?

Hold down your space bar, move your mouse... use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

When landing (autoland or not) I always use Mouse Look to adjust my view such that the bottom of the screen has the bottom of the VSI and zoomed in/out far enough to include the gauges above it and where I have direct access to the AT Disengage switch.

I do this after my landing checklist, once I know my items such as spoiler armed, flaps set, autobrake set, etc, and before actual touchdown.

Hope this tip is helpful, sorry it took me a while to look and find this message. Smiley

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

CM19

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:45am
Print Post  
My advice would be to invest in trackir 4. It is one of the best investments that I have made for my simming hobby. The product isn't cheap but well worth the $. I used to have to angle the eyepoint just right to see my instruments and what is out of the windscreen while landing but now I just glance at my instruments and look up while it tracks my head movement. Alsomakes it a lot easier and more realistic. It's really works great while taxing and crosswind landings. With the crosswinds your plane would be pointed at a slight angle from the actual track,  with track ir you can easily keep view of that center line. Great product and by the way I am not affiliated with them but maybe they should compensate me for this Smiley

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Halleluia!  It took all these posts before someone suggested TrackIR.
Man, I would never fly without it!  It is the ONLY way to fly in VC.
If you love flight simming and flying in VC as much as I do GET TRACKIR. Cheesy It is worth every penny!  I have had mine for two years now and it still works perfect.
I have my clip fastened to a ballcap with small plastic ties.  The other day I forgot and left it on while standing in line at McDonald's.  I thought all the ladies were looking me over because I looked so hot.  When I got home my wife busted out laughing.  I still say TrackIR is worth it.

Also go to 2D and right click on the simcons and select "Undock". Your simcons will be available in VC and you can use popup 2d panels.
That is a big help too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top