Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 25 LockheedMartin takes up FSX GoodBye Microsoft (Read 34721 times)
CoastalDriver

LockheedMartin takes up FSX GoodBye Microsoft
Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I picked up on a discussion elsewhere about MS abandoning Simmers etc and where to now and guess what?

Lockheed Martin (Yes the aircraft manufacturer) has taken over and I think now owns the rights to FSX. The program is now called PREPAR3D and is fully compatible with FSX which it replaces having by the look of it upgraded lots of bits including the internal menus look and feel.

So there is life after FSX and it will continue but in completely different ways and ones that will focus in my humble opinion on aviation as opposed to being merely a game and a software sideshow where it ended up at MS.

The news gets better , you can add in or add on all FSX SP2 compatible models, scenery and other sort  of addons, and they feature the Captain Sim C130 on their web pages as an example of a a high quality model being used in PREPAR3D. Also in partnership with Lockheed are ORBX, FTX and REX who make all the good stuff for scenery and weather etc. It seems the ACES team is not dead either and are now working in partnership with Lockheed.

It seems they have a number of nifty tools to let you add in a lot of stuff, scenery add ons, place objects etc and have upgraded the whole thing to let you do stuff and make what was FSX a lot more flexible and user friendly. They also claim to have upgraded the world scenery to current standards and improved many other things that were left hanging by MS when they shut it down.  Smiley

This is the most exciting news for flight simmers not only because it finally frees us up from MS clutches but alas it is only offered to Windows OS and will not be ported across to Linux or Mac systems. The offer full access to SDK's and developer tools to allow us to do the sort of stuff that simmers have always done make a diverse and rich environment.

Go check it out at: http://www.prepar3d.com

I will get my copy at the end of the week and starting adding in all my favourite CAPT SIM stuff plus lots of other bits and pieces. As I see it the future for simming is assured and can only get better now.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: LockheedMartin takes up FSX GoodBye Microsoft
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:01am
Print Post  
I've had Prepar3D since April (2012). Wink

I still use FSX more because ALL my addon aircraft work in it, but not in P3D. I need to investigate how to get them working in it. Shocked

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:23am
Print Post  
MarkOz - What are your thoughts and experience of P3D?

On first inspection it appears they have tidied up a lot of stuff and look like they are encouraging addons and development but their primary focus at the moment is the aerospace training industry which is understandable given it is after all Lockheed Martin.

Given that MS has now effectively bowed out of the Flight Sim business (Lots of people have trouble even getting recent purchases activated and are told by MS for instance it is no longer supported - buzz off) we are reliant on P3D for the future. For other simmers  I guess I should explain what I mean.

First, FSX is pretty good and WIN 7 is good for at least another few years and P3D (FSX) can only getter better with software and hardware development over time but and it is always in the back of my mind, the way MS have a habit of resdesigning their operating system virtually tri-annually it is not going to be long before FSX as it currently stands became non compatible with the latest operating system from MS (Seen it happen with dozens of really good programs now quaintly refered to as legacy programs - Remember Lotus?) So if they don't support the current FSX after only a few short years we are all in strife in a few years time. I guess my thinking is with Lockheed using the commercial training and aviation world as a primary market base then providing it is profitable and taken up (which it will be as my experience in the industry was that simulation and computerised aircraft and systems was where it is all going from here -hence no real general aviation industry any more). I did military flight training as a pre-retirement gig and we used MS 2004 plus other computer training systems extensively (plus real time flying) and even more was planned for the future. This was where SubLogic originally was aiming so the wheel has turned full circle.

I think the big barrier for recreational simmers, like myself, its fun and a hobby now, is the price tag for licenses which at the moment are calculated per month. I have written to them to see if a recreational license for the simmers out there is to be offered or could be offered and we shall see what they have to say.

I noted they offered a work around program to help you install FSX stuff that required the FSX directory structure and was built into the automated install script programs and the access to development tools etc is refreshing from a large congolmerate business.

Anyway as I see it is P3D or nothing from here on, just need to get them to offer it at a reasonable price and on a CD/DVD for folks like me who have internet and download limit issues.

IP Logged

Pvjinflight

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Yeah a bit of old news, but Prepar3d indeed seems interesting... I'm just waiting for their next major update, at the moment it doesn't really have major improvements from FSX I think.

If it stays compatible with FSX made addons and yet still continues to improve I will probably get it.

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
£The next major update of prepar3d has already happened, we are on v1.4, some independent tests showed it was "up to" 85% faster than fsx ( Please remember performance is down to the hardware you have so i would expect less on older machines ) , I run all the CS aircraft i own on p3d 1.4 now.

Im over the moon with the performance i get from p3d at the moment, both ground texture and fps performance are great Smiley

For the fist time i can sit at Ants YBBN with Orbx AUS scenery with me CS737-200 on external view watching the AI do its thing with a very nice locked 30fps Smiley

Click the image to make it bigger

&&

IP Logged

Pvjinflight

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Ah ok, I think when REX guys have released their virtual airline simulation program I will then move to Prepar3d... At the moment I use fspax but it's not compatible with Prepar3d so that has mostly kept me from moving to it.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 4:09am
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:02am:
£The next major update of prepar3d has already happened, we are on v1.4, some independent tests showed it was "up to" 85% faster than fsx ( Please remember performance is down to the hardware you have so i would expect less on older machines ) , I run all the CS aircraft i own on p3d 1.4 now.
I Didn't even know that 1.4 was out yet. Thanks for that. Grin
I downloaded it last night and have just finished installing it this afternoon and so I'm doing a flight in the Mooney Bravo out of Norfolk Intl. Looks like a nice improvement over v1.3 so far. That new Mooney Acclaim looks very nice too. Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Gandy, thanks for the feedback. That was my impression after working my way through the PREPAR3d forum last night. Three things really impressed me working my way through the forum apart from them acknowledging the good work of CAPT SIM (I will forgive them picking the eyes out of other aircraft to showcase Lockheed stuff (Team KBT and others) but hey I fly them too and why they not do this, I would too.

1. They are up to version 1.4 and are actively working on bugs and problems and encourage feedback and bug reports from users. The participation by the software gurus there on the forum shows they are keen to make this as bug free and seamless to the user as they can. The underlying theme seemed to be that they thought FSX was effectively old (in software terms) and effectively held together with string and wire so to speak and they are aiming at a product that does not rely on countless fixes and other programming script fixes by enthusiastic amateurs and others to overcome the work not done by MS to make it work they way it should.

2. That they cleaned up the world scenery and they support and use addon scenery products like ORBX and another company to enhance to make it as realistic as possible. They also provide for porting across other good stuff like REX and FSUIPC to enhance and improve the programs useability and experience.

3. They respond to problems and issues almost immediately.

Now that is so different to Microsoft is it not.

It seems the price is now US$199 per copy not per month and although they require you to be an aviation industry participant that is I believe their primary goal but is also a result of some contractual clause from MS not to target gamers and recreational users (wink wink nudge nudge were all private pilots are we not?) but it is not such an issue now MS Flight has bitten the dust which was probaly the original reason for the restriction.

The future just looked a lot brighter for all us simmers and to have it tied with an aerospace manufacturer or renown is to my mind a marriage made in heaven.

Got a lot of tidying up of my other files to do then into the new sim future with my Capt Sim stuff.

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:11am
Print Post  
MarkOZ interesting coincidence, I was inbound to Norfolk Island and then went on to Auckland in the 737-200 last night (in FSX of course).

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
CoastalDriver wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:11am:
MarkOZ interesting coincidence, I was inbound to Norfolk Island and then went on to Auckland in the 737-200 last night (in FSX of course).

Sorry. It was Norfolk International KORF, in Virginia, USA. This is the default airport for P3D. So I did a flight from KORF to KWAL in the Mooney Bravo, then returned to KORF in the Mooney Acclaim. Wink

I'm currently contemplating using the Orbx SBS licensing in P3D for all my Orbx addon scenery, but have not yet done it. That will be a big test in P3D's performance. Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Hi, Mark

I have no idea what is P3D function  . How do you obtain and how to install it?

What doest it do? Embarrassed

Ahmet

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
asanal wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:33pm:
Hi, Mark

I have no idea what is P3D function  . How do you obtain and how to install it?

What doest it do? Embarrassed
Ahmet
Hi Ahmet.

Go to http://www.prepar3d.com/ and read up on it. Eventually you will get to the pricing page. I'll give them to you here though:

So you buy it. Download it (3 files - 2x4GB 1x2GB, so about 10GB). Install it. It's that simple

Full license $US199.00
Academic License $49.95
Developer $US9.95 per month subscription

Lockheed Martin bought the Microsoft® ESP™ technology, which basically means they bought FSX from Microsoft, and are continually updating/improving it. I like it a lot, and I find it a lot more stable than FSX and I also get a better performance than FSX (that was with v1.3). 1.4 was released, I installed it yesterday and tested it today, I can't say how much better 1.4 is over 1.3 because I just upgraded my computer on Wednesday. It is STILL better than FSX, but the test will be if I use the Side By Side licensing on my Orbx FTX addon scenery.

Here is a quote about how it began:
Quote:
In November 2010, Lockheed Martin debuted Prepar3D 1.0, based on Microsoft® ESP™ technology, as a training application for military, educational, civil and aviation professionals

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Here's a fps comparison video from an Avsim guy. Perhaps watch it bigger on YT to really see the fps counter. It pretty much sums up of what I saw in P3D so far, but maybe there's more about it.  Embarrassed

Quote:
I recorded the flight with FSRecorder played it back in FSX and recorded with FRAPS, then installed 1.4, restored the config files so the settings are identical, then played back the flight again in 1.4. Note that this is meant to stress test P3D so there will be blurries and stutters.

Quote:
some independent tests showed it was "up to" 85% faster than fsx

Got a link for that? If that's the case, it would be nice of course. But why doesn't the video show it for example?

The T-6/A Texan II they've included in P3D is freeware for FSX.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your info. I watched the attached video and reviewed their web page. Which pricing categories are we in? ($9??)

They are recommending before install P3D, all add-ons must be uninstalled and after 3D installation completed, then add-ons can be reinstalled.
Wow. If I understood correctly I have to un-install everything in FSX.This can be a difficult job for me Undecided Undecided Undecided
Is it correct?

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
You can leave FSX as it is, Ahmet. You may need to install some stuff again in P3D, other things can be copied over. The folks running it can surely help with that step.

I'd keep FSX as a backup, even if you like P3D. Some stuff doesn't run in P3D and most copy over thingies aren't supported. So whenever there is something not working, you have to ask yourself if the product is faulty or if the other sim causes the problem. With running FSX, you can test that.

Be aware that some payware devs don't support P3D, so support threads with that sim may not last that long or just won't receive an answer. Some seem to get very upset on licensing issues.

Let us know how P3D works out for you. I wasn't impressed so far and reinstalling things or the sim itself (with every update) is not what I'm looking for. If it had turned out to be much faster, that statement would look different of course.
If version 1.4 generally unlocked it, let us know. The video above doesn't look like it did with the same settings. But maybe there's a trick somewhere.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:07am
Print Post  
I think, it  will be better If I wait and see how P3D will develop for FSX. The good news is  FSX now is in good hands with Lockheed Martin. Finally, there is a bright future for FSX. Wink

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:33am
Print Post  
I have both installed. On different drives/partitions: J:\Flight Simulator X (single partition on a 500GB drive) and I:\Prepar3D (on the 3/3 partition of my 1TB HDD).
After viewing that video, I wonder if he used the same CFG? In other words, is it just a renamed fsx.cfg (to Prepar3D.cfg). Or is it a modified Prepar3D.cfg to have all the same changes in all the same places so that it is "the exact same settings" as in the fsx.cfg?
One other thing to take note of in Prepar3D, is that you do not have a [Trusted] section in the Prepar3D.cfg, so there is none of that crazy nonsense of accepting a gauge as being "trusted" (a pet hate of mine with FSX).

Quote:
Be aware that some payware devs don't support P3D, so support threads with that sim may not last that long or just won't receive an answer. Some seem to get very upset on licensing issues.
The more complex the aircraft, the harder it can be to get into P3D, so without the support of the developer, you have to rely on those who have already made the transition with the product.

My big problem with moving the Captain Sim aircraft over (when I first got P3D), was to forget to add the info into the DLL.xml file! The ones like these:

<Launch.Addon>
           <Name>Captain Sim 767 Menu</Name>
           <Disabled>False</Disabled>
           <Path>Captain_Sim\Captain_Sim.b767.menu.dll</Path>
     </Launch.Addon>
 <Launch.Addon>
           <Name>Captain Sim 767 Sound</Name>
           <Disabled>False</Disabled>
           <Path>Captain_Sim\767\cs.sound.dll</Path>
     </Launch.Addon>

But once that was done, they worked. ACE does NOT work with P3D. Well I haven't been able to get them to be able to. But then I haven't tried very hard either.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Ahmet, if you are interested, I would try it. As said, leave FSX intact and copy over the stuff you need to test. They had a one month trial once and I also think they offer refunds if you've bought it.

As you see, Mark and gandy are already very knowledgeable on how to run both sims and if you can invest a bit of time and tweak&fiddle effort, it may be an interesting experience. I wasn't impressed so far as I didn't see the benefit, but I can also see some very enthusiastic folks reporting, so perhaps there's something in between.  Smiley

Quote:
Or is it a modified Prepar3D.cfg to have all the same changes in all the same places so that it is "the exact same settings" as in the fsx.cfg?

That's how I understood the description. He also made some P3D 1.3 vs 1.4 video before that one. Must be somewhere on his YT channel. The neat part is that side-by-side view, allowing some good comparison.

I'm still training some approaches in FSX.  Cheesy They should all work in P3D too, so if you guys want to join us, you're welcome. Ahmet already mastered them all, so he has free time.  Cheesy

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Mark & CoolP,

Ok... I will try. Will I purchase $9 per month packages? Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 4:16am
Print Post  
asanal wrote on Sep 1st, 2012 at 3:24am:
Mark & CoolP,

Ok... I will try. Will I purchase $9 per month packages? Cheesy

I do not know if there is any limit to how long you must initially sign on for the monthly use (as in a minimum of say, 3 or 6 months).
I was reading in another forum, that someone said they (Lockheed Martin) do not really care if you buy the P3D Academic license ($USD49.95), even though you may not actually qualify for the "Academic license". Do not take my word on that as don't know how true it is.

I look at it like this:

Order Date: Saturday 12 August, 2006
Products
1 x      Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition DVD
Technical support with this product, please contact Microsoft. $69.95
Zone Based Shipping Rates (FedEx 1-3 Day Express Delivery): $29.25
Total: $99.20

All prices are US dollars and was back when the Aussie dollar was way down on the US Dollar (0.7666360012 per Aussie dollar), so I actually paid $AUD139.40 for FSX Deluxe, including shipping from USA and FSX Acceleration cost me $AUD49.95 (bought locally).
So I forked out $AUD189.35 for FSX/Acceleration, so $USD199 for LM Prepar3d is not too bad a price for it. It was worth it in my opinion. Wink

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 4:49am
Print Post  
"$USD199 for LM Prepar3d is not too bad a price for it. It was worth it in my opinion"

Wow,,It is not definitly $9. Undecided

Do you have installation advise, before I end up in deep waters Embarrassed

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 5:22am
Print Post  
The only installation advice I can think of would be not to install P3D on the same drive/partition as FSX (as in: J:\FSX and I:\P3D). Same drive, but a different partition, should be perfectly okay. In my case that would be H:FSX and I:P3D (both are partitions of my 1TB HDD).

Oh! And you cannot run both at the same time! Sorry.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Yikes! You have some expensive FSX there, Mark. Well, I don't know how much mine was. Bought it pretty early as it came out, later added the Acceleration addon. But that's from years ago, I wouldn't buy it at the same price now.

I guess most folks pretend to be 'academic' of some kind and pick the 50 dollar P3D.  Lips Sealed 200 bucks is a bit steep from my experience. It was no different than FSX on the fps and some addons still don't run. I can't recommend the 200 dollar license if the picture still is like in the video and needs the tricks and tweaks on the installation of software which easily runs in FSX.

I know some folks running it ok, others returned it and one is a serious fan who only flies two or three planes which all work. But for 200 dollar, you can get some hardware or quite some planes and scenery. However, they seem to offer a refund policy.

I'd stick to the cheap options for testing. They don't state anything on a minimum subscription time span here. http://www.prepar3d.com/partners-overview/developer-network-program/ So my guess is that those 10 bucks give you 1 month. Cancel it soon enough and it won't get prolonged. Forget about it and you have two months.  Cheesy

That one month testing thingy from back then isn't there any more it seems.  Undecided

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Here you go, have a read of this, P3D performance vs fsx
http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-vs-p3d-performance-comparison/

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for the link, gandy. That looks massive. I will look closer, but I wonder why people don't rave some more when a guy gets such results. Well, lets read into it.

Is this the same Kosta as on Avsim?

Do you have a tip for Ahmet on the costs? Which license model are you running?

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:44am
Print Post  
yeah its the Avsim Kosta,

This thread contains a little more on why his thread was removed.
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/48192-p3d-and-fsx-side-by-side-comparison...

Im running the Academic version which was $50usd which gives me free updates up until v2 which i will have to buy again.

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Makes sense on the P3D version. Regarding Kosta's blog, I didn't know he had his results posted at Avsim before.

There is something strange on the screenshots in Kosta's blog. The FSX ones don't have aircraft shadows, the P3D ones do, but the shadows are enabled in his FSX, they just don't show up.

I've just checked if this could be a problem with the addon airport he uses as I have the same, UK2000 EGLL and EGKK. My shadows come up when I enable them in FSX (I wouldn't fly without them). I've also checked it at EGKK. I get shadows, his FSX shots don't show them, but they are enabled in his options.

On the EGLL shots in P3D, there is some scenery missing. I first thought that it was dynamic stuff, but apart from some vehicles, there is static equipment missing in P3D at the parking spots.

His P3D water slider is at medium, the FSX one is at max.

I'm not questioning his results, but his FSX install doesn't look correct on the shadows, while the P3D one does strange things at the airports from UK2000. I don't understand the water slider max setting in FSX, that's a fps hog.

But I will forward his link to the folks of mine running P3D. Perhaps they can spot what enables that fps boost as they don't get it so far. So thanks for that one.  Smiley

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I have no idea about the shadows but for me p3d is miles better in terms of fps to the point where i have re-tweaked the way i use p3d and fsx, while the settings i use now do give me better fps in fsx i really notice the difference at ybbn in p3d, 100% ai traffic at that airport is not a great amount of traffic but ive always had to remove ground objects to get 30fps with 50% commercial UT2 traffic.

I do think the BP=0 is really helping the sim now as that is the main tweak i use in p3d as i dont use the FFTF tweak as my pc is not up to the job and the only other tweak i use if the affintymask 14 as i dont like it when my tir lags and that fixes it for me.

&&

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am not up and running yet on this one for reasons relating to my TELCO and beingh stuck with a mobile broadband service being in rural OZ with no copper wire or cable service available, which means I am download limited and the downloads (plus REX AFFINITY Etc.) will take up all my broadband for the month and then some more. I have a plan but will have to now wait a couple of weeks.

I will keep both but over time migrate everything I can to the LM product as FSX is a dead duck now as far as MS is concerned. I am not to bothered by the updating business, gee, MS does that almost weekly sometimes with WIN 7.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #29 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:46am
Print Post  
As you mention YBBN, that's a pain, right? Not with the freeware, it's actually fun with that one, but the payware. Ouch!  Grin Well, I saw you have the shadows disabled in your sim. Or is that a wrong impression I get from your screenshot?  Embarrassed

Just mentioning this because I recall some scenery having trouble displaying the ac shadows. Don't ask me why, but some airports feature that lack, even if the things are enabled. Hence my test on Kosta's pictures.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #30 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:49am
Print Post  
CoastalDriver wrote on Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:45am:
I am not to bothered by the updating business, gee, MS does that almost weekly sometimes with WIN 7.

True, but you don't have to reinstall the OS then.

I saw some folks offering tips on a quick reinstall though, but it's not like some step up from 1.3 to 1.4 comes with a small patch and a few minutes of patching. If I had to reinstall FSX, I would die.  Shocked

However, let us know how it goes. And lets hope you get some cable internet then.  Smiley

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #31 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 9:44am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:46am:
As you mention YBBN, that's a pain, right? Not with the freeware, it's actually fun with that one, but the payware. Ouch!  Grin Well, I saw you have the shadows disabled in your sim. Or is that a wrong impression I get from your screenshot?  Embarrassed

Just mentioning this because I recall some scenery having trouble displaying the ac shadows. Don't ask me why, but some airports feature that lack, even if the things are enabled. Hence my test on Kosta's pictures.

Its the free one i use, the one by ANT, Yeah i have shadows disabled, i must of disabled them but it wont make a difference besides ive enabled them now Smiley

Some of the other settings i use are LOD 6.5, Texture size 2048 ( for the rex clouds ), Autogen extremely dense oh and im using rex water and the sim is set to reflect clouds and sim objects.

I don't rely on my personal results to much as the i7-920 i have atm is faulty and hopefuly in a couple of weeks i will have the $$$ to upgrade to a 3770K and i will be able to better check the performance with out the fear of the dreaded bsod's and i will really be able to push the sim

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #32 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Sounds very good on the CPU. Mark has just upgraded and seems to be very happy with the new stuff.

On the shadows, you are right, they don't harm the fps. Without them, it looks a bit odd at times in my eyes. You know, the shadow is the soul.  Cheesy I especially like the shadow when approaching and looking out of the VC, seeing it on the ground when turning and things, also on the AI.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #33 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Yep. CoolP is right! The i7 3770K has got both FSX and P3D providing fantastic frame rates so far.
I've only had the new stuff, CPU, M/B and RAM, for 3 days, so I am still in the process of reinstalling everything.
FSX is close to done, P3D is not far behind, but the rest is miles behind.
My priority is always the OS, Email, FSX (and P3D nowadays) then the rest. Cheesy Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #34 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Ive become a format and fresh install expert, i can do it all in a day now.. all me addons and other software i like to have installed Smiley

I assume you are installing everything with a stock clock cpu Markoz as it has been known for corruption to creep in on both the sim and windows, not everyone will have issues and its probably less than 1% that do ( i have been in that 1% in the past ), i dont take the chance.. always stock now when doing a fresh install of everything.

&&

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 2:30am
Print Post  
I can't believe it. I purchased, downloaded and installed without single problem.  Cheesy

How shall install CS 727/707 ? Embarrassed

Update:
1-I drag 707 file to 3DFSX. When I opened 707 has no landing gear, controls doesn't work. I deleted file.

2- 3D influence to FSX and making many changes. All "Add-ons" drop menu disappeared, NO more Scenery 120-127 all gone.
I think, 3D running  FSX for its purposes  .

How shall install CS 727/707 ? Embarrassed

Any advise?? Huh

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 2:39am
Print Post  
I'm not much of an overclocker. I tend to run my CPU's at their stock speed. On my previous CPU, an i7 870, I ran it at its stock speed of 2.93GHz and only overclocked it a couple of times to around 3.2/3.4GHz, but it never stayed there for long. But because I have the 3770K, I might actually go ahead and do it, but I doubt I will try to push it too far, it's not my style. Shocked

I'm pretty good at redoing everything (format, OS, FSX etc.) as this is about my 3rd or 4th time this year. I don't mind doing it because it cleans up everything, but that doesn't stop it from being a PITA. Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #37 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Ive decided to use P3D as my second sim, as its not ready for me to use it as my main sim i think, i cant fly my CS757 over orbx scenery due to g3d crashes, while fsuipc plugs the bug in fsx it does not in p3d 1.4 Sad

I need stability over performance.

Fingers crossed FSUIPC Pete can work his magic in p3d again Smiley

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #38 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:43am
Print Post  
The Orbx folks have updated their libraries just a few days ago, for both sims. Maybe that helps in your case.  Undecided

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #39 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:28am
Print Post  
I have not yet used the SBSL with my Orbx scenery in P3D (v1.4). I did in v1.3 and got a good performance, even better than FSx. But my i7 870 still got bogged down in the AU YMML v2 and AU YBBN areas which made me use the default scenery the most. P3D default scenery appears to be better than FSX default scenery (IMO).

But CoolP is right, Orbx released a new library set: ORBXLIBS 120825 Dual Installer Now Available. There is a link in the forum, but not on the FTX Support page (I wonder why?).

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #40 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:58am
Print Post  
The updated orbxlibs are no help.

Markoz the sbsl's no longer work you have to use the migrator tool, if you brought the sbsl's you should have some store credit where you got them from Smiley

I was playing with the Swap wait timeout and that helped but it also brought with it another crash Sad

&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #41 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:58am:
The updated orbxlibs are no help.

Markoz the sbsl's no longer work you have to use the migrator tool, if you brought the sbsl's you should have some store credit where you got them from Smiley

I was playing with the Swap wait timeout and that helped but it also brought with it another crash Sad

Sorry. I couldn't remember what they were called, so I called them SBSL's. I never bought any SBSL's, so no store credits for me. Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #42 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 9:20am
Print Post  
When i build my new pc i plan to do some tests and see how it goes as i will be installing p3d first just to see if i can get it to g3d crash on a clean set up with no addons or other bits installed.

I'm already missing the performance gains of p3d and the sharp ground textures Sad

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #43 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Has Kosta altered his performance comparison? All the shots are gone. I didn't write him yet.  Cheesy But I saw Mr. Kok pointing out some things on the AES stuff.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #44 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:48am
Print Post  
@gandy. What is a g3d crash? Did I ask this before? Because I thought I had, but can't find where I might have asked. Undecided

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #45 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Mark/CoolP and Gandy

P3D is not easy. I already spent so much time to  make it workable.

You can use P3D, if you want to give up most of the Addons.

I want to have:

1- REXE
2-Fs2Crew
3-RC4.3
4-UT2
5-UTX US
6-GEX US/CA
7-FSFD

Without them, I better close the door. Between 1-7 only RC4.3 is not working. Rest of them in 70/90% efficiency bracket level.

I start to believe  P3D is not ready ,will need at least a year to develop. Sad

I will try couple more days, then, I will clean all mess. P3D is  deteriorating FSX structure. Roll Eyes

Please read Kosta's FSX/P3D Performance Comparison Removal,

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #46 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:29am
Print Post  
I wished I could help some more. Well, the main thing is to keep FSX in place, so you can always fly the old sim in case the new one stutters. The installations should not affect each other to my knowledge.

As for the addons, I think some of them may work with the user-to-user help. Avsim forums may be a good idea as they seem to collect the most common solutions these days (http://forum.avsim.net/forum/436-the-unofficial-prepar3d-forum/). Other addons will work out of the box, like REX-E, which just needs an extra code to allow for P3D to work.

Some remaining ones may have trouble on the licensing  Undecided or some modules failing so far. Take some another company airports for example and their AES Lite components like the small vehicles around the place. Perhaps check if there are separate P3D installers for your purchased software. In the case of another company airports, they've updated their installers some time ago. So perhaps download them again to install them in P3D too.

I want to have:

1- REXE
2-Fs2Crew
3-RC4.3
4-UT2
5-UTX US
6-GEX US/CA
7-FSFD

REX-E needs an extra code and then works.
Quote:
REX Essential was specifically created for FSX as well as Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D. This section is for the user that would like to use REX for FSX AND/OR Prepar3D. Purchasing a REX/Prepar3D license  will ‘unlock’ all the features specific to the Prepar3D platform, and will be confirmed by the field being

FS2Crew. So far, only the 737 thing works. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/373558-prepar3d/

RC4.3. I don't know. Maybe this helps. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/382754-two-installations-on-same-machine/ Looks like it's working with small adjustments.

UT2 may work with tricking, UTX and GEX too, but those are the ones where the companies have trouble with the license. Stating that openly.

What is FSFD?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #47 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Hi Ahmet.

You might need to go to support forums for your products and/or the P3D Avsim forum. I have not spent much time looking into adding/moving stuff over to P3D, I just copy what I think I need to, compare the DLL.xml file between the two Simulators and see if I can get them working. I am having some success, but not total success. I have not tried to get REX2 Essentials working, but that's because I want to get AS2012 working in P3D instead.

I don't have many FS2Crew products, only 2 in fact, for the default C172 Roll Eyes (bought years ago) and for the iFly 737NG, so I can't help you there either.

I am planning to try UT2, but have not yet tried it.

The rest of the ones on your list, I don't have. Sad

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #48 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
I don't have many FS2Crew products, only 2 in fact, for the default C172 Roll Eyes (bought years ago)

That's the best one. Nobody should miss it.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #49 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:01pm:
Markoz wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
I don't have many FS2Crew products, only 2 in fact, for the default C172 Roll Eyes (bought years ago)

That's the best one. Nobody should miss it.  Cheesy

Yeah right! Tongue

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #50 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Im back in action on p3d as Pete has updated fsuipc4 to help with the g3d crashes  Cheesy

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #51 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:36pm:
Im back in action on p3d as Pete has updated fsuipc4 to help with the g3d crashes  Cheesy

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/
Thanks for that gandy. Can you please tell me what a G3D crash is? Prepar3D has never crashed on me, so I'm curious to know what it is. Please.

Here is the Captain Sim 707-300 (Pan Am) flying past Mount Rainier after taking off from Seattle (KSEA) using the 707-300 Cleared for takeoff (KSEA) flight (copied over to the
C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Prepar3D Files folder).

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #52 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Well there could be a number of reasons for the crash but the g3d.dll is the visual end of the bgl converter, when its overloaded or it receives a response its not happy with it causes a crash.

Im starting to wonder if it caused by a duplicate GUID issue between the stock scenery and addon scenery, when there is no stress on the g3d.dll it can cope with the issue but when you up the settings and run the sim on its edge it can't deal with the issue fast enough and causes the crash. Just a theory mind you.

You have been very very lucky not to have a g3d crash Markoz Smiley

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #53 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Remember when I asked about Kosta removing the performance comparison shots? Well, he has updated his blog, explaining that step. My hat goes off for his honesty. http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/fsxp3d-performance-comparison-remo...

Quote:
Dear simmers,

Unforunately, I had to remove my review on performance comparison.
I made a mistake in the review, something I really don’t do often, and this time the error was so deep, I didn’t have a chance of noticing it, only suspected it.

What happened: I had Windows 7 installed with full FSX, everything I was using for a long time and flying.
Apparently this installation was broken – it yielded way less FPS than FSX is capable of. I had no comparison to run!
So after I have seen such high FPS in P3D, I believed that FPS are higher in P3D in general.
I reinstalled W7, put P3D on it, which had the same performance as my old FSX under old OS-installation.

It was not an OS fault. It was simply bogged down FSX, which ran slower.

Couple of days after I did the test, I got suspicious after some have reported same speeds, so I installed FSX – and hold and behold, I had similar FPS in FSX.

After not being able to believe how stupid the whole thing went, I cleaned up the machine ONCE again, ran both FSX and P3D setups, in the clean environment I ran the tests and came to a simple conclusion: P3D yields the same FPS or a bit better FPS in some scenarios.
It is a bit smoother though. But if you are heavy armed with my tweaks under FSX, you can also come very close to the smoothness in P3D.

Nevertheless, P3D is not bad, it is the way forward, it already offers features that FSX doesn’t offer (sound on lost focus for instance…), and it’s going only to get better.

Yet again, I am very very sorry for what happened, I stand by my mistakes and I hope such error will never happen again!

Regardless of that, I still think that a tweak&fiddle guy (which I once was) doesn't do bad with trying P3D (not for 200 bucks though  Shocked). Personally, I'm more looking for version 2.0 if it ever comes up. But expect me to read everything on 1.x too.

Either way, please keep reporting and helping on this and that addon. That's the spirit of a community.  Smiley

On the g3d.dll crashes, I only saw those getting reported quite regularly over Orbx scenery, especially PNW and some another company stuff like Brussels. As always, not all folks received them and also not with all planes, but only the super fancy ones.

The funny thing then was that Pete Dowson (the guy behind FSUIPC) received those crashes sooner or later and then started working on a fix. That's how the special FSUIPC version came to life, in FSX and later P3D, not being immune to that.

Now his free version of FSUIPC already includes that fix, which is as fair as it can get. The guy deserves support for that policy, so whoever hasn't bought FSUIPC yet (which can go a lot of tricks, not only that one) should go ahead!  Cheesy

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #54 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:04am
Print Post  
I originally brought fsuipc for its wind smoothing features in fsx but it probably is one of the most powerful tools you can have in fsx/p3d and its worth every penny if not more considering how well its supported by Pete Smiley

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #55 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:10am
Print Post  
You name. And to be honest, none of my fancy weather addons would work without FSUIPC helping it. Well, thanks to the 'funny' FSX (and P3D) weather system and some rather sensible addon planes of course.

The way weather gets injected into FSX and the instant switch of winds and temps is something unique. With small planes flying low, one just goes yikes! at times  Cheesy but seeing the addon stuff flying S-turns over straight lines or just getting into engine trouble because the weather decided to flip to 12°C warmer withing a nanosecond is more than yikes!  Grin

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #56 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Again, after many hours  trying to stabilize P3D, finally I got breakthrough:

1- REXE
a- I stabilized the REXE, now working well

2-Fs2Crew
a- Stabilized and working well

3-RC4.3
a- Woow..That was something RC stabilized and working well

4-UT2
a- Stabilized an working well

5-UTX US
a- Working well

6-GEX US/CA
a-Working well

7- GSX  (Sorry CoolP FSFD was wrong title)
a-Working well.

8-FsBuild
a-I solved the problem, now I can generate FP and import to any Airplane including PXMG 737 FMC

I did have on stable graphic scenery and airplane hiccups developed. I solved the problem with upgrade to latest beta Navdia Driver 306.

One more problem developed  my GPU temp is now high  around 75C. Sad
If all go well as I predicting. I can be out from bottle neck in next two days.

More upsetting was my FPS went down dramatically around 5 FPS. I identified the cause of problem was wrong installation of FSUIPC, Now I have the latest one suitable for P3D.

Tomorrow I will start test flights.

I just want to inform, what is going on with my project P3D .

Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #57 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:32am
Print Post  
That's a good result, Ahmet. Glad you are up and running now, so enjoy.  Smiley

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #58 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:15am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:10am:
You name. And to be honest, none of my fancy weather addons would work without FSUIPC helping it. Well, thanks to the 'funny' FSX (and P3D) weather system and some rather sensible addon planes of course.

The way weather gets injected into FSX and the instant switch of winds and temps is something unique. With small planes flying low, one just goes yikes! at times  Cheesy but seeing the addon stuff flying S-turns over straight lines or just getting into engine trouble because the weather decided to flip to 12°C warmer withing a nanosecond is more than yikes!  Grin

The funny thing is all the weather addons can use fsuipc to inject weather in to the sim but they choose not to use that feature, instead we have to use simconnect which is worse way to inject weather in to the sim as it can cause fps drops when loading, the bad wind shifts and the stutters can also happen. I would be very happy if Rex or Active Sky gave the option to inject weather through fsuipc

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #59 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Good point. Well, the simconnect interface is the main FSX one, but one can trick e.g. ASE to run in the FS9 mode and then only using FSUIPC.

On the weather addon freeware, you can pick FSUIPC or SC, as you like. By this, it just comes with other downsides in regard to the SC interface. Unfortunately, there's no golden mode to be used, hence my hope for a completely new sim or just some major improvements over the FSX origins. Especially on the weather system, which is very awkward at times and limited on the detail.

We often fly like on rails in the sim, even at tricky locations.

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #60 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 7:17am
Print Post  
asanal wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:19am:
Again, after many hours  trying to stabilize P3D, finally I got breakthrough:

1- REXE
a- I stabilized the REXE, now working well

2-Fs2Crew
a- Stabilized and working well

3-RC4.3
a- Woow..That was something RC stabilized and working well

4-UT2
a- Stabilized an working well

5-UTX US
a- Working well

6-GEX US/CA
a-Working well

7- GSX  (Sorry CoolP FSFD was wrong title)
a-Working well.

8-FsBuild
a-I solved the problem, now I can generate FP and import to any Airplane including PXMG 737 FMC

I did have on stable graphic scenery and airplane hiccups developed. I solved the problem with upgrade to latest beta Navdia Driver 306.

One more problem developed  my GPU temp is now high  around 75C. Sad
If all go well as I predicting. I can be out from bottle neck in next two days.

More upsetting was my FPS went down dramatically around 5 FPS. I identified the cause of problem was wrong installation of FSUIPC, Now I have the latest one suitable for P3D.

Tomorrow I will start test flights.

I just want to inform, what is going on with my project P3D .

Cheesy Cheesy

How did you get them working?

Apparently there is some migration tool available for ~$10 has anyone tried that?

I purchased the academic version. No checks required and from what I can work out that's the license we SHOULD be buying.
Forget about paying $200. You don't have to.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #61 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
I purchased the academic version. No checks required and from what I can work out that's the license we SHOULD be buying.
Forget about paying $200. You don't have to.
Good point. The following Uses,

Uses
  • Classroom
  • Home
  • Educational programs, such as summer camps and after school programs

listed for the Academic version, are not the same as the ones that were listed when I bought P3D. Shocked They have changed them.

However. In none of my posts, did I ever actually say I paid the $199 for P3D, I only implied that I had. At the time I bought it, the USES for the Academic License, did not have HOME as a use for it. The USES listed when I bought it, were different to what they are now, and I did NOT qualify for, but I still bought it on the off-chance that they would not check up on me. But I also knew that if they asked for proof during the purchase of the Academic License, I was stuffed. They never asked, so I got it. I only saw that Home was listed as a use for the Academic License today, when I went to see why Cappy had said "from what I can work out that's the license we SHOULD be buying".

If you take a close look, at the top right hand corner, of the image I posted of the 707 flying past Mount Rainier, you can see the Academic License watermark anyway. Wink

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #62 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Cappy,

I utulized  "FlightSim Estonia FSX to Preaper3D Migration Tool". Around 10$.
My GPU temp was around 89 Degrees and FPS down to 5 FPS with REXE clouds. I found the problem.The other a day I dowloaded 306.02 NviDIA DRIVER and It caused all these problems.
I uninstalled and redownload 304.48 driver. Now all returned normal.

I have to say, P3D makes the difference and upgrades  FSX to  Next Generation FS.
Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #63 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
You've got to be careful with beta drivers. Sometimes they make things worse. Sad

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #64 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
You are right. I learned hard way. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top