Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
 25 LockheedMartin takes up FSX GoodBye Microsoft (Read 34726 times)
asanal

Re: LockheedMartin takes up FSX GoodBye Microsoft
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:07am
Print Post  
I think, it  will be better If I wait and see how P3D will develop for FSX. The good news is  FSX now is in good hands with Lockheed Martin. Finally, there is a bright future for FSX. Wink

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:33am
Print Post  
I have both installed. On different drives/partitions: J:\Flight Simulator X (single partition on a 500GB drive) and I:\Prepar3D (on the 3/3 partition of my 1TB HDD).
After viewing that video, I wonder if he used the same CFG? In other words, is it just a renamed fsx.cfg (to Prepar3D.cfg). Or is it a modified Prepar3D.cfg to have all the same changes in all the same places so that it is "the exact same settings" as in the fsx.cfg?
One other thing to take note of in Prepar3D, is that you do not have a [Trusted] section in the Prepar3D.cfg, so there is none of that crazy nonsense of accepting a gauge as being "trusted" (a pet hate of mine with FSX).

Quote:
Be aware that some payware devs don't support P3D, so support threads with that sim may not last that long or just won't receive an answer. Some seem to get very upset on licensing issues.
The more complex the aircraft, the harder it can be to get into P3D, so without the support of the developer, you have to rely on those who have already made the transition with the product.

My big problem with moving the Captain Sim aircraft over (when I first got P3D), was to forget to add the info into the DLL.xml file! The ones like these:

<Launch.Addon>
           <Name>Captain Sim 767 Menu</Name>
           <Disabled>False</Disabled>
           <Path>Captain_Sim\Captain_Sim.b767.menu.dll</Path>
     </Launch.Addon>
 <Launch.Addon>
           <Name>Captain Sim 767 Sound</Name>
           <Disabled>False</Disabled>
           <Path>Captain_Sim\767\cs.sound.dll</Path>
     </Launch.Addon>

But once that was done, they worked. ACE does NOT work with P3D. Well I haven't been able to get them to be able to. But then I haven't tried very hard either.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Ahmet, if you are interested, I would try it. As said, leave FSX intact and copy over the stuff you need to test. They had a one month trial once and I also think they offer refunds if you've bought it.

As you see, Mark and gandy are already very knowledgeable on how to run both sims and if you can invest a bit of time and tweak&fiddle effort, it may be an interesting experience. I wasn't impressed so far as I didn't see the benefit, but I can also see some very enthusiastic folks reporting, so perhaps there's something in between.  Smiley

Quote:
Or is it a modified Prepar3D.cfg to have all the same changes in all the same places so that it is "the exact same settings" as in the fsx.cfg?

That's how I understood the description. He also made some P3D 1.3 vs 1.4 video before that one. Must be somewhere on his YT channel. The neat part is that side-by-side view, allowing some good comparison.

I'm still training some approaches in FSX.  Cheesy They should all work in P3D too, so if you guys want to join us, you're welcome. Ahmet already mastered them all, so he has free time.  Cheesy

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Mark & CoolP,

Ok... I will try. Will I purchase $9 per month packages? Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 4:16am
Print Post  
asanal wrote on Sep 1st, 2012 at 3:24am:
Mark & CoolP,

Ok... I will try. Will I purchase $9 per month packages? Cheesy

I do not know if there is any limit to how long you must initially sign on for the monthly use (as in a minimum of say, 3 or 6 months).
I was reading in another forum, that someone said they (Lockheed Martin) do not really care if you buy the P3D Academic license ($USD49.95), even though you may not actually qualify for the "Academic license". Do not take my word on that as don't know how true it is.

I look at it like this:

Order Date: Saturday 12 August, 2006
Products
1 x      Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition DVD
Technical support with this product, please contact Microsoft. $69.95
Zone Based Shipping Rates (FedEx 1-3 Day Express Delivery): $29.25
Total: $99.20

All prices are US dollars and was back when the Aussie dollar was way down on the US Dollar (0.7666360012 per Aussie dollar), so I actually paid $AUD139.40 for FSX Deluxe, including shipping from USA and FSX Acceleration cost me $AUD49.95 (bought locally).
So I forked out $AUD189.35 for FSX/Acceleration, so $USD199 for LM Prepar3d is not too bad a price for it. It was worth it in my opinion. Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 4:49am
Print Post  
"$USD199 for LM Prepar3d is not too bad a price for it. It was worth it in my opinion"

Wow,,It is not definitly $9. Undecided

Do you have installation advise, before I end up in deep waters Embarrassed

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 5:22am
Print Post  
The only installation advice I can think of would be not to install P3D on the same drive/partition as FSX (as in: J:\FSX and I:\P3D). Same drive, but a different partition, should be perfectly okay. In my case that would be H:FSX and I:P3D (both are partitions of my 1TB HDD).

Oh! And you cannot run both at the same time! Sorry.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Yikes! You have some expensive FSX there, Mark. Well, I don't know how much mine was. Bought it pretty early as it came out, later added the Acceleration addon. But that's from years ago, I wouldn't buy it at the same price now.

I guess most folks pretend to be 'academic' of some kind and pick the 50 dollar P3D.  Lips Sealed 200 bucks is a bit steep from my experience. It was no different than FSX on the fps and some addons still don't run. I can't recommend the 200 dollar license if the picture still is like in the video and needs the tricks and tweaks on the installation of software which easily runs in FSX.

I know some folks running it ok, others returned it and one is a serious fan who only flies two or three planes which all work. But for 200 dollar, you can get some hardware or quite some planes and scenery. However, they seem to offer a refund policy.

I'd stick to the cheap options for testing. They don't state anything on a minimum subscription time span here. http://www.prepar3d.com/partners-overview/developer-network-program/ So my guess is that those 10 bucks give you 1 month. Cancel it soon enough and it won't get prolonged. Forget about it and you have two months.  Cheesy

That one month testing thingy from back then isn't there any more it seems.  Undecided

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Here you go, have a read of this, P3D performance vs fsx
http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-vs-p3d-performance-comparison/

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for the link, gandy. That looks massive. I will look closer, but I wonder why people don't rave some more when a guy gets such results. Well, lets read into it.

Is this the same Kosta as on Avsim?

Do you have a tip for Ahmet on the costs? Which license model are you running?

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:44am
Print Post  
yeah its the Avsim Kosta,

This thread contains a little more on why his thread was removed.
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/48192-p3d-and-fsx-side-by-side-comparison...

Im running the Academic version which was $50usd which gives me free updates up until v2 which i will have to buy again.

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Makes sense on the P3D version. Regarding Kosta's blog, I didn't know he had his results posted at Avsim before.

There is something strange on the screenshots in Kosta's blog. The FSX ones don't have aircraft shadows, the P3D ones do, but the shadows are enabled in his FSX, they just don't show up.

I've just checked if this could be a problem with the addon airport he uses as I have the same, UK2000 EGLL and EGKK. My shadows come up when I enable them in FSX (I wouldn't fly without them). I've also checked it at EGKK. I get shadows, his FSX shots don't show them, but they are enabled in his options.

On the EGLL shots in P3D, there is some scenery missing. I first thought that it was dynamic stuff, but apart from some vehicles, there is static equipment missing in P3D at the parking spots.

His P3D water slider is at medium, the FSX one is at max.

I'm not questioning his results, but his FSX install doesn't look correct on the shadows, while the P3D one does strange things at the airports from UK2000. I don't understand the water slider max setting in FSX, that's a fps hog.

But I will forward his link to the folks of mine running P3D. Perhaps they can spot what enables that fps boost as they don't get it so far. So thanks for that one.  Smiley

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I have no idea about the shadows but for me p3d is miles better in terms of fps to the point where i have re-tweaked the way i use p3d and fsx, while the settings i use now do give me better fps in fsx i really notice the difference at ybbn in p3d, 100% ai traffic at that airport is not a great amount of traffic but ive always had to remove ground objects to get 30fps with 50% commercial UT2 traffic.

I do think the BP=0 is really helping the sim now as that is the main tweak i use in p3d as i dont use the FFTF tweak as my pc is not up to the job and the only other tweak i use if the affintymask 14 as i dont like it when my tir lags and that fixes it for me.

&&

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am not up and running yet on this one for reasons relating to my TELCO and beingh stuck with a mobile broadband service being in rural OZ with no copper wire or cable service available, which means I am download limited and the downloads (plus REX AFFINITY Etc.) will take up all my broadband for the month and then some more. I have a plan but will have to now wait a couple of weeks.

I will keep both but over time migrate everything I can to the LM product as FSX is a dead duck now as far as MS is concerned. I am not to bothered by the updating business, gee, MS does that almost weekly sometimes with WIN 7.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #29 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:46am
Print Post  
As you mention YBBN, that's a pain, right? Not with the freeware, it's actually fun with that one, but the payware. Ouch!  Grin Well, I saw you have the shadows disabled in your sim. Or is that a wrong impression I get from your screenshot?  Embarrassed

Just mentioning this because I recall some scenery having trouble displaying the ac shadows. Don't ask me why, but some airports feature that lack, even if the things are enabled. Hence my test on Kosta's pictures.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top