Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Thrilling action with the 737 (Read 109617 times)
CoolP

Thrilling action with the 737
Aug 9th, 2012 at 5:19am
Print Post  
You wanna do this.  Cheesy

Why? Because it's a very nice approach, with lots of hand flying and visual references and all that into a beautiful place called Queenstown in New Zealand. The ICAO code is NZQN. By the way, the videos also act as a nice tutorial for the 737 in my eyes.

So what's the trick and what makes it so special?
Well, since our nice CS737 is among the best when it comes to hand flying and since some nice Orbx scenery allows for a beautiful NZ experience, we should combine both, don't you think?

Ok CoolP, you is nuts, but please tell me what I need to do to fly this.
Easy! First of all, the best plane may indeed be the 737. Nah, not those sissy glass variants, the real one. CS manufactures them for FSX!

What's recommend are the mods from Bud and Paul.
Bud's FDE mod. http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1339198966
Paul's EPR and callout gauge. http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1337557332

You may also want to take a look on the charts. They are free and current since this is the source for the rw stuff. http://www.aip.net.nz/ Just pick aerodrome charts and then Queenstown.

What you are looking for is the VOR DME stuff. The call them alpha, bravo and charlie. Here's what charlie looks like. Note. This is not the approach the guys in the video used. They've used alpha and later cancelled IFR. However, their final circling segment is the same, you will see the lake and the hill being followed by the river, extending the runway centreline.

Yes, they have some mountains around that airport, quite some. So you want to be within the safe corridor and at appropriate altitudes. Otherwise you will join the scenery.  Shocked

The procedure looks more difficult than it is. Haha, don't ask how often I've tried. For this one, charlie, you are flying a DME arc at 15 DME from the SH VOR, then you descend on course 032 inbound the VOR until reaching 3DME where you break off to the North, sticking to at least 3800ft and setting you up for a circle around the airport until you can line up with runway 23. With the runway in sight and the visual references in place, you can start losing some altitude. Perhaps a bit sooner than I did in my example below.

Here's the eight-path for the visual stuff. You pick the one to the North of the field.

You should be configured for landing until reaching final, but I wouldn't fly her with full flaps all the way, so perhaps chose something in between like gear down, flaps 25 or 30 until 'making the runway', where the rest of the flaps comes out. Don't gain too much speed in between, the higher your groundspeed the wider your turns will be, or the needed bank angles. The max speed should be 155 kts, but I'd head for lower ones, depending on the Vref.

Well, I'm no pro, but that's how it worked out nicely here. Perhaps Lou can join us. He will love that approach I guess.

Now here are some impressions from one of my attempts. This was the circling after the charlie approach and you will need the visual reference. I wasn't really happy with my lateral path, but the landing was spot on while leaving the neighbours alive. So I'm ok.

This is just after breaking off and starting the circling. You have the VOR (instrument reference) and the lake to the right. So whatever reference you need, you will find one.

The airport is to the right and you mainly pass by that hill in front and line up with the river for the extended centreline. The hill has a peak of 2500ft but, for me, it looks higher when flying close.  Shocked However, it's time to descend if you are not doing it already.

And here's the landing. The main problem for me was to avoid coming in too high. You may see some rather high vertical speeds at times. But, from the videos above, it seems like this is normal if you want to clear the terrain before finally descending.

Like it? Now there's more to it since the departures work the same way. You take off and have some visual segment until you can join with your enroute path.

There isn't much room for picking other aircraft. Smaller ones of course, maybe a 757 max. The rw stuff ends at category C though. My 737-200 ADV had no trouble with stopping. So experiment if you like. Also look for the other VOR approaches (alpha and bravo), they may even be a bit easier.

Be safe!  Cool

IP Logged

windplayer

Re: Thrilling action with the 737
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Wow! I havent been in Au and NZ for quite some time. Now i thinking to buy FTX NZ, and fly my 727 there Wink

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Sounds like a good choice, Windy.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 7:49am
Print Post  
WOW!!!! Shocked That looks really nice. Now I have to reinstall NZSI (I'm also planning to buy NZNI soon).

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Christopher Low

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
I am very tempted to purchase the 737-200. I have just had a look at the screenshots on this website, and my credit card is shaking excitedly in my wallet!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 7:49am:
Now I have to reinstall NZSI (I'm also planning to buy NZNI soon).

Indeed! And NZ is full of those places with the small airports and the interesting approaches. Must admit, I'm just starting to explore it, but NZQN is a highlight for sure. They've also enhanced the 'default' airports a lot. So those moving people are there and things, no addon airport needed for that.

Christopher Low wrote on Aug 9th, 2012 at 8:02am:
my credit card is shaking excitedly in my wallet!

It's just cool to fly without glass but still run an airliner. And the CS737 is a beautiful rendition and very easy on the frames. Mind the two tips on the FDE tuning and the extra gauge if you get her. It really adds something.

With the camera positions in the video being that nice (e.g. on the engines), you surely will see the same with the CS. Those old turbojets are just too cool to be missed.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Well, you've gone and made it so I have to buy ORBX NZ!  Tongue

This is a fun approach....when the weather is nice!
As you can see the stock scenery is weak indeed.

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Glad you like it and I think you won't regret getting the NZ titles.
Quote:
As you can see the stock scenery is weak indeed.

Fully agreed. The character of the place is missing, although some landmarks may be ok, even with stock scenery. But the textures aren't fun.

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
lol Smiley

Lou,

The quality of Orbx products has that effect, i just want to throw money at my pc so i can get my sim looking as good as some of the screenshots i have seen. IM only missing pfj and nzni and all the airports but i have to balance my money a bit so i dont get carried away.

My pc is a true money pit Sad

&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 5:04pm:
lol Smiley

Lou,

The quality of Orbx products has that effect, i just want to throw money at my pc so i can get my sim looking as good as some of the screenshots i have seen. IM only missing pfj and nzni and all the airports but i have to balance my money a bit so i dont get carried away.

My pc is a true money pit Sad

I have Orbx AU, NZSI (I will get NZNI soon) and have quite a few of the Aussie airports, but I do not have any of the Orbx North American scenery yet.
My computer is a money pit for me as well. Shocked Cheesy Grin

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
If some of you try the approaches, please let me know how you like them. I think that NZQN action really is treat for the airliners like 737 and 727. There are more cool airports, but some of them like Milford Sound are too small for commercial jets, so better pick some GA plane there. It's worth the effort!

I mean, there isn't much of an instrument bringing you down, the last visual part isn't that short and you have to watch the speeds and power settings closely, and no autopilot or autothrottle (when using the nice older 737) helps.

Not even a terrain display or a moving map, just your view outside the window and perhaps the RMI for a rough check where you are in relation to the VOR. As Lou said, the weather might bite you, although the sim should make it easier I guess.

Yesterday, I came in at dusk, bad planning of mine.  Embarrassed But boy that was tricky and certainly too tricky for any rw ops. Flying with guesstimates isn't safe. I may note that my FSX nights are darker due to the ENB mod. I find them too bright at default, so perhaps that added to the tricky part.

And if you've landed there, just take a look on the departure charts. Some more airmanship demands in printed form.  Cheesy Lets try, shall we? This is that turn out of the valley after taking off from runway 05.

And this is after overflying the VOR and turning towards the enroute segment to Rotorua NZRO.

With that powerful little plane, the speeds come easy, but you don't want them to be over 180kts for the sake of keeping the turn radius small. Cool stuff!

I forgot to add. If you would fly modern planes in there, they also have some RNAV procedures in place (sissy stuff!  Cheesy), but you can only read those from the charts at http://www.aip.net.nz/ because Navigraph hasn't included them in the FSX FMC data they offer.

So, if you are heading for that sissy way, you have to program your FMC manually, the waypoints themselves (not the route) could be there. This only acts as a workaround of course.

As far as I understood it, the rw operators have to qualify for the RNAV stuff. All others are stuck with the older things, which makes a difference when the weather comes down to minimum.

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Good post, hmmm now I will have to buy NZ from ORBX as well. Taken me all this time to tidy up AU and several months doing Japan addons (thanks to Bing translator - discovered there is some very high quality addon scenery stuff for Japan done by the Japanese simmers which lifts the whole sim experience there to better than even ORBX).

LOU nicely on glide path, did you managed to correct to centreline?

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
CoastalDriver wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 9:48pm:
LOU nicely on glide path, did you managed to correct to centreline?

He didn't land. He paused to buy Orbx.  Cheesy  Grin

IP Logged

Eric.M

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 4:39am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 6:19pm:
If some of you try the approaches, please let me know how you like them. I think that NZQN action really is treat for the airliners like 737 and 727. There are more cool airports, but some of them like Milford Sound are too small for commercial jets, so better pick some GA plane there. It's worth the effort!

I mean, there isn't much of an instrument bringing you down, the last visual part isn't that short and you have to watch the speeds and power settings closely, and no autopilot or autothrottle (when using the nice older 737) helps.

Not even a terrain display or a moving map, just your view outside the window and perhaps the RMI for a rough check where you are in relation to the VOR. As Lou said, the weather might bite you, although the sim should make it easier I guess.

Yesterday, I came in at dusk, bad planning of mine.  Embarrassed But boy that was tricky and certainly too tricky for any rw ops. Flying with guesstimates isn't safe. I may note that my FSX nights are darker due to the ENB mod. I find them too bright at default, so perhaps that added to the tricky part.

And if you've landed there, just take a look on the departure charts. Some more airmanship demands in printed form.  Cheesy Lets try, shall we? This is that turn out of the valley after taking off from runway 05.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1117/depqy.jpg

And this is after overflying the VOR and turning towards the enroute segment to Rotorua NZRO.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7071/dep2g.jpg
With that powerful little plane, the speeds come easy, but you don't want them to be over 180kts for the sake of keeping the turn radius small. Cool stuff!

I forgot to add. If you would fly modern planes in there, they also have some RNAV procedures in place (sissy stuff!  Cheesy), but you can only read those from the charts at http://www.aip.net.nz/ because Navigraph hasn't included them in the FSX FMC data they offer.

So, if you are heading for that sissy way, you have to program your FMC manually, the waypoints themselves (not the route) could be there. This only acts as a workaround of course.

As far as I understood it, the rw operators have to qualify for the RNAV stuff. All others are stuck with the older things, which makes a difference when the weather comes down to minimum.

I think i recognize that repaint, whoever did it did an ok job. Tongue Roll Eyes

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Help, full quote!  Tongue But a nice paint indeed, Eric. Keep em coming.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 5:44am
Print Post  
IT took  long time, Cheesy but here I am. Grin

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/219/nzqn2.jpg

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Very nice, Ahmet.  Smiley Only brave pilots go there.  Shocked

I see you are coming in on runway 05, flying the southern part of that eight-figure. It's tricky, right? Perhaps you can line up with the runway even sooner when using the waterline as help.
Haha, it's so easy to say this, don't ask me how often I flew this one and I still can't handle it.  Embarrassed

See where they want you to fly towards the runway, there's an obstacle to the right (it's hard to see, an antenna with a light on top) and the city of Queenstown to the left. You keep on the very left side of that water body. For your altitude, use the PAPI lights as soon as you see them when turning final.

With the default scenery, it may be a bit more difficult to spot the details, but here's your entry point.

With Orbx, it looks like this.  Shocked

An here's how Google Earth shows it.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
CoolP,
It was really tricky approach,. MY entire approach was  hand flying. I did have problem with A/P.
You selected very interesting airport. BTW what a beautiful ORBX generated landscaping. I wish we have in Northeast area.
Thanks for your idea, makes our flying more fun. Smiley
Ahmet

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your kind words, Ahment.  Smiley

asanal wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 6:20pm:
BTW what a beautiful ORBX generated landscaping. I wish we have in Northeast area.

Same as you, I would love to see some more scenery in that quality around the whole globe. That would be very cool. Well, FSX does a good job on giving 'some' impression (mountains, that river and so on), but the colours are off.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
CoolP, when I saw the picture of you flying the Trike I thought I'd do an approach and landing in something larger....

It was a fun VFR approach. The plane stopped just fine with about 25% fuel on board.  Shocked

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Try this in the 737! Shocked

Isafjordur Airport, Iceland BIIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1W_Jpy4TU

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Yikes! 747 at Queenstown, seems like you are planning something big.  Shocked

On the video. Well, the first hurdle would be to spell the name of the destination.  Grin Very scenic flight though, thanks for the tip. I run some addon for Iceland.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #22 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
I now have Orbx AU and NZSI installed again. So I get to try the approach to Queenstown in the 737-200.
I think I would much  prefer to do it in the 737-100 though! It's a tad smaller and lighter. Grin

No way would I try it in the 747. You'd have to be crazy to! Did I just call Lou crazy? Oops! Shocked

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #23 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Mark, I think that's unfair. Lou could practice 40 years.  Shocked  Tongue

I've tried the approach to rw05 and was ok with this attempt. The weather on the descent wasn't really good, but it turned out to be better at lower altitudes and just left a bit of haze. I think this place will become some regular destination of mine. Every time I've landed, I want another landing.  Cheesy

'Entry point'.

Approach.

Rolling out.

Parking.

Next flight is some oceanic one, back to Oz from Queenstown. I've toured NZ the last few days, so me knows all sheeps now.  Grin

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #24 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:25am
Print Post  
When I was still flying the Dash 8 some many moons ago we had a Kiwi Sim Instructor who used to fly the Dash in NZ, sure as eggs for practice in the sim we would get the Queenstown approach in 8/8 down to minimums with strong winds and icing thrown in, he reckoned the approach sorted out the men from the boys, amazing how close the hills can seem some days.

For fun we were also given the challenge of over the top at 10,000, idle power and a glide approach visually into Queenstown, amazing what good short field performance you could squeeze out of a Dash 8.

Anyhow I am off to try the LOU challenge in th 727 in Iceland. Done the Queenstown thing to death. Loved the scenery addons though.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #25 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:50am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 6:35am:
Mark, I think that's unfair. Lou could practice 40 years.  Shocked  Tongue
But I was only joking. Smiley

CoolP wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 6:35am:
I've toured NZ the last few days, so me knows all sheeps now.  Grin
Shocked    Undecided    Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #26 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
The approach into BIIF is a real challenge in a jet.

The circling approach to RW-08 is a hoot! I tried it in the 727 and made it, but it was not pretty!  Shocked
I needed +30 degrees of bank at minimum speed to get the turn rate that I needed to make the runway.
The 737-100 was a lot better, but still VFR, day only!

I'm using another company Iceland scenery. I also have BIKF airport scenery.
The another company ad-on scenery of Iceland helps as it would with the ORBX of NZ.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #27 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
That sounds and looks pretty cool, Lou. I'm looking for some BIIF charts now. Got any of those? Navigraph data is empty at that spot.
Edited:

They only chart cat A and B types as it seems. Guess that explains why even the agile 737 had some trouble making it. How do you like the 737 by the way? Nice plane for that kind of stuff, huh?  Smiley

Here's a good story plus pictures on the Iceland flying. This includes a story about BIIF. http://www.flyingpirates.co.uk/iceland.html The Faeroes also come to my mind when looking at that northern part of the planet. There is some freeware out for those.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
CoolP,

For the kind of flying I like to do, the CS737 is a good all around aircraft.

I love the BIIF chart page. It looks worse on the chart than in the another company scenery.  Shocked

The Faeroes are a beautiful place with wonderful people. What a nice story.

Lou

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Fascinating on Iceland, sure is hard to keep up with some of these scenery releases. I knew another company did a good Antartica but it takes forever to get there and then? well there is only so much snow and ice you can muck about with, although the twin otter is a bit of fun down there.

Looks like I am going to have to relent and go for the CS737 now, do we have a release from CS with the gravel runway kit that Boeing produced to get the most out of its short field capacity  ? (for a pure jet). Ah well here we go!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Good point on Antarctica. After a while, you get a white-out.  Cool One also has to cheat on the weather addons. Some don't have no data at all, others try to interpolate something. And I really mean something.  Cheesy On the aircraft, I run some cool prop planes down there.

But your idea on getting the 737 makes sense. Nice plane that is and if we collect some more cool approaches, we will surely enjoy her around the virtual globe. No gravel kit as of yet, I was looking for that one too. Mainly because it's a unique setup for a jet, with that bleed air blowing in front of the engines and that shielding for the gear and fuselage.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I only take the CS C-130 down to Antarctica. The AS Antarctica X is a great addon for flying around in the Twotter and the Herc, but it does get tedious at times. But I still love flying around down there. Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #32 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 2:57am
Print Post  
IT took  me three approaches and two missed approaches to land the 747-408 to  NZQN RW 5 with 6200 ft.

In my first attempt, I entered  to crazy "8" arrival between wall of mountains and sharp turns with trying to lose altitude and keep speed in margin, finally I lined up with RW05. Oh my GOD, one 737 just entered rwy 5 for take off and holding, I have no choice but to execute a missed approach and climb over mountains. I returned to NZCH- my departure airport.

Second day, same crazy 8 arrival lot of crosswinds, fighting with wind to not crash   edge of the mountains,I managed to descend and lineup with RW05. I  know biggest  challenge is to fit 747-408 into 6200Ft Rwy. I target a spot just behind of numbers to gain landing distance, All was looking good stable approach. just lowering plane on the rwy below 50 ft, Suddenly corner of my right eye, I saw top of tree over the  right wing. I said flight is over I clicked ESC button. I get very upset with this tree top, This was surprise of FSX texture setting. A  single tree just right edge of the runway. MY  second day closed.

This is my third day, I was ready to put this monster onto NZQN rwy5.
I went through all my accumulated two day experiences: 1- Hold the speed early enough and reach vref speed when turn to final 2-Beware mountain edges, its closer than you see and plan to turn mountain edges before  end up with a valley has no return . 3-Don't trust FSX airport, go examine before you make the flight.
TODAY ,wind was very bumpy.  I corrected my all early mistakes before develop disaster. Wind definitely was big problem for landing and decided to make approach little bit left side of rwy, then I can kick the plane to right enough at last moment and land.
THAT is what I did. I safely  landed 747-408 to NZQN. Cheesy Cheesy

Thank you CoolIP, giving me these  enjoyable three days adventure with finding NZQN in New Zealand . Cheesy

Entering to crazy *8* shape arrival
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6421/nzchapp.jpg

Turning sharp final
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2195/nzchfinal.jpg

Crosswind correction over the runway 05
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6225/nzchlanding.jpg

Wow..747-408 landed
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8841/nzlanded.jpg

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #33 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Amazing work, Ahmet!  Cheesy And you even took the bigger variant into that small airport, nuts!  Grin

Seems like your next task is to follow the folks to Iceland and try your luck there, huh? Thanks for your report, it was a great and fun read and I also like the pictures. Don't hesitate to post your future adventures. Seems like FSX holds some of them for us simmers.  Smiley

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #34 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Asanal, what have you done???
You scared to death airport personnel!!
Its a SMALL, DISTANT land. Its calm and peaceful there!
You ruined they small and peaceful life dude! Now how they will live knowing that this big plane can actually fly!  Grin
How they will board they Twotters and Cessnas?  Grin

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #35 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
windplayer wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:32pm:
Its a SMALL, DISTANT land. Its calm and peaceful there!
It is? Well it IS small, but it isn't far from me (only about 1500nm), a nice flight in an A320 or B737-700. I did fly the CS737-200 from Melbourne to Christchurch and back a few times.
Not only that, I thought New Zealander's spent their days chasing sheep around the paddocks just to fill in time! So you shouldn't frighten the sheep with a 747-8i!  Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #36 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
I've experienced some traffic jam at that location. First there's nobody, then it's full of planes. See me grabbing some line up spot.  Cool

Gotta admit that I love this plane. Expect me running around the short routes in NZ, but still having in mind Lou's tip of course, leading me to Iceland. It's a long way to go!  Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #37 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
I ran another approach in NZ, at Mount Cook NZMC. Now that's a private VFR field with no procedures to choose from. So what you do is to approach NZGT, an airport with IFR procedures some 12nm to the South and then make your way within that valley until you set up for a left hand base for landing.

The first yellow mark is the IFR airport (NZGT), the end of the path in the North shows the private field (NZMC), just below the national park.

The current weather conditions may need some anti-ice being in place.  Cool The icing warning came up more than once while circling around.

While the actual airport data and placement looks easy, I had some trouble finding the sweet spot for runway 13 due to the terrain in the North. Rwy 31 may be easier, but who wants easy things?  Cheesy

See my ground track here.  Grin The third approach succeeded, the other ones were too high for my liking.

That's happened with a non CS plane, but I may try the 737 too. Either way, it is fun and Orbx have done some amazing textures around the place, not really showing in that poor screenshot of mine.

Find the charts and tips on the approaches here. http://www.aip.net.nz/ You should pick Glentanner NZGT (that's the IFR airport helping you) and Mount Cook NZMC.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten the tip on Iceland.  Smiley

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #38 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I like to fly into short runways with ILS and tricky weather.If you have ORBX PNW,and the free KHQM (Bowerman) patch.This is a hoot with the CS 737,and also other 747.You have to check flaps and fuel load with the big birds. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Ron

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #39 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Cheesy You guys are nuts. Well, that's for the wish to land the 747 at every airport there is. But to try is the spirit, so I actually adore the thinking. Let me know when Lukla allows 747 turnarounds.  Cheesy

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #40 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
You must be wondering why I am so quite,. I was working on BIIS airport. Runway 26 landing is a dead trap. Usually every day I try once , ,if I am not satisfied, waiting for another day to try. I am little bid hard on my self. I must succeed takeoff and landing.  BIIS takeoff with CS-727 with close to GW is very tricky. I must sharply to turn  left at 100Ft, before I hit the mountain edge. But good news, finally I managed
takeoff/landing RW 26 at BIIS with 727, Now I need to repead to take a screen shot for forum.
Second adventure I think will be NZGT . See you there.
Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #41 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Very nice, Ahmet.  Smiley Seems like you are the most focused pilot among us. Sounds really good on that trying until you are satisfied. I'm just heading for BIIS now, fulfilling my promise to try that tip from Lou.

I mean, it makes sense, I run that addon scenery over there. Lets check some routes from and to BIIS. BIKF makes sense for me, although a bit short for the 737, but that means she will be very light.

http://www.caa.is/media/PDF/AD_2_BIIS.pdf says they have some localizer to guide you through the clouds. Looks doable, well, I hope.  Shocked Nice weather. BIIS 06012KT CAVOK 14/09 Q1009

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #42 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  

BIIS in the winter! Looks very cold. I went to Iceland with my wife and a friend of ours who was born in Iceland. We went in September and it was brisk, the wind always blowing. Low sun angles make it hard to see.

Well, I had to try the 747 in BIIS. No way you can make the turn, but I came in down the valley instead. The GPWS was not happy with my approach since I hugged the hills all the way down. A lot of rudder was used to line up on final.

A little like the old Hong Kong approach!  Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #43 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Nice shots, Lou. And the winter panorama looks amazing, must have been a cool trip, literally.

Yikes! coming in over the hill from the West. Well, I said it before, you folks are nuts.  Tongue

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #44 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
BTW, there is a house or small shed at the approach end of RW 26. What do you think it is, some sort of VASI?

I was going to get BOB and go for a walk, but I took the UH-1 instead.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #45 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I saw that house. Must be a very lonely but noise resistant person living there.  Huh

Here's how my approach worked out.

Lots of NDB navigation from BIKF.
Descent went fine, few clouds, no icing trouble.
Altitude at RE NDB was fine and I caught the localizer with the HDG select as I think the AP is a bit sluggish at times.
Descending on the localizer track, hazard beacon came up, waited for that 258° bearing and started the visual part.
Good weather, so what could possibly happen?

FO Erm, looks pretty tight going into that valley.
Captain Don't worry, I got this.
FO Ok.

Captain Flaps 40, we'll stick to Vref plus 10.

FO Erm, it still looks pretty tight.
Captain I said, I got this!

Later, a bit more into the valley.

Captain Geezus, it looks pretty tight!  Shocked You should have told me!
FO  Huh

Captain It was an honour flying with you.
FO What!?! What do you mean 'was'?

-End of transcript-  Undecided

It looks easy on the videos, but I had to keep at least 140kts and the turn was a turn only FSX allows for.  Cheesy
Nice rw video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_c6vA8DXE

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #46 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Good luck.
As Lou said, watch your turns, you have to adjust your speed to execute 30 degrees banks. If your plane goes ahead of you, full power climb. Cheesy
If you have to land RW 26. Make sure, use the side slip for touchdown.

Oh!..I forgot to tell you. I watched video. Its excellent. Very good planing for land. I wonder if I say to this pilot I am trying to land RW26 with CS-727,... I think he will hit my head with a stick. Come on, does he knows what a brave Simpilots  are,....Suddenly I feel  all airport crowd looking at us and father saying to his children do you see this sim-pilot..that is a pilot, we should admire. (wow, I felt second stick hit on my head. ) Cheesy D Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #47 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
CRM in action...

FO Erm, looks pretty tight going into that valley.

Captain Don't worry, I got this.

FO Ok.

Wonderful NDB to BIIS! We used to fly NDB's in the 727, but nothing like this.
I've tried this in a number of different planes, but the one I'm most comfortable in is the Twin Otter & the C-130.
The rate of turn is the key to this approach. Since the Twin Otter is approaching at 60 knots it's no sweat.
The 737 is really too fast for this turn to final. Even at a very light weight your still on the very edge.

I'll look around, I'm sure there are more airports like this.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #48 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Yeah, best CRM. Like in the movies.  Cheesy

Well, I came in at 44t GW and there was no way I did get my turn rates to match the approach. I've looked at that video and checked the landmarks that Fokker 50 passes by. Then I've tried the 737 again and flew, then slewed back when I was wrong, then flew again, just to quickly check if I can make it.
As said, some 140kts were needed with the flaps at full and only FSX allowed to turn at much slower speeds or go way over 30° bank.

As for other approaches, I had a nice one into RJTT Tokyo Henada. There's an offset localizer or VOR approach coming in through the Tokyo bay. If you fail and overshoot, the Kawasaki petroleum arrangement is close.  Cheesy

I have some freeware for Tokyo city and airport, so that's the main attraction there, having that view when flying the bay. The turn and things will be easy for big planes, so the flying itself isn't near that Iceland challenge.

The above chart is a bit older than the current airport. Now, they have that extra runway (23) on the artificial island, that's the one with an offset localizer or some nice RNAV curves. The freeware offers that runway and the bridges connecting it to the rest of the airport.

IP Logged

zamoritasj

Reply #49 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:33am
Print Post  
That is some great scenery...not to mention a great bird.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #50 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:17am
Print Post  
OK!....
I accomplished the BIIS Rw26 landings with CS727-100. It took me good practice to achive touch down safely.

For my luck, There were no one at airport to see it and unfortunately  NO applause,too. At least some peanuts for return flight,

1-Turning final, Not much space, Watch mountain edges
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8205/biisfinal.jpg

2-The trick is to make a proper side slip to lineup with runway
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7919/biislanding.jpg

3-Mission accomplished
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2702/biiscompleted.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1504/biiscomp2.jpg

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #51 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Now that is some good flying! Cool

Must of felt like this....

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #52 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Cool stuff, Ahmet.  Smiley Would you say rw26 is easier than rw08 with that turn?
asanal wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:17am:
OK!....
For my luck, There were no one at airport to see it and unfortunately  NO applause,too. At least some peanuts for return flight

Grin

And for Lou. How many carrier landings did you perform with the 747 yet? Don't tell me you haven't tried.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #53 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:06am
Print Post  
zamoritasj wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:33am:
That is some great scenery...not to mention a great bird.

Very true!  Smiley

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #54 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
"Would you say rw26 is easier than rw08 with that turn?"

My opinion with flying 727, 08 approach specially downwind turn to base need very careful speed/bank calculation to  not over shut the final, but you have a better  chance  to manage it, then 26  turn to SHORT final.

26 downwind/base less stress, then 08. But, you need well calculated timing/speed/bank angle  in very short time to turn and execute  short final to make  the runway. Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #55 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Status message: After incident at rw08, CoolP now flies helicopters.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #56 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
No.NO....you will succeed. don't give up. Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #57 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Ok, will do. Are you still on some nice approaches, Ahmet?

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #58 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
I made some approaches BIIS RW08  with CS737-200,but I have a problem with rudder. It does not turn fully either side . I thought maybe some thing wrong with FSX control settings, I checked all correct P&Dg 737 rudder turning freely to either directions.
Now I made my approach with CS-727-200 to RW08. I don't think it is vise idea to fly 727 to BIIS. Only way I found approach can be stabilize if you approach to RW08 right  side of the hill.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3717/biis08final.jpg

Now you have to decent very quickly and without  gaining  speed (Goodluck) Shocked

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/865/biisshortf.jpg

Then land.....
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2702/biiscompleted.jpg http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1390/biiscomp3.jpg Cheesy

Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #59 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
CoolP said: And for Lou. How many carrier landings did you perform with the 747 yet? Don't tell me you haven't tried.

Well, the gauntlet has been thrown!  Roll Eyes

First thing I did was get rid of fuel and payload. Then I set the wind at 050/34 knots. I'd have put more, but that's all FSX will let me do.
I don't know how to make the ship move so that is all I can get to reduce the ground speed.

On short final, speed and sink good. It's gusty, but I'm holding around 125 knots.

Flare good, solid touchdown.

Full brakes!  Shocked

BOLTER BOLTER BOLTER!!!  Embarrassed

%#@&^%, blub, blub, blub.....  Grin  Cheesy  Wink

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #60 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Hahaha.  Grin You forgot to extend the arrestor hook. Nice screenshots! Honestly, big respect for trying, Lou.  Smiley

If you ever wanted a really great carrier with folks on deck and amazing night lighting, choose this one. AI CARRIERS 2 & JAVIER'S USS NIMITZ & IKE 2 http://fsxblueangels.com/aicarriers%20download%20template.html It comes with the complete surrounding fleet and reacts to a small tool which allows a placement and movement. And it's free.  Cheesy

Well, I only flew the Goshawk (freeware) and F-18 (payware) to those, but why not try the 747?  Cheesy

And I see Ahmet was trying BIIS again. Well, I'm still around that location and will try too. The 737 is a nice plane for that country in my eyes. And the routes are short, so I have plenty of landing action.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #61 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:39am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:53pm:
%#@&^%, blub, blub, blub.....  Grin  Cheesy  Wink

Hey Lou! Next time, take some SCUBA gear with you!! Grin Grin Grin

Mind you, it's way better than I could do. I would probably hit the stern of the aircraft carrier without getting near the landing deck!

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #62 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
In the meantime.. I've found a spare plane for us folks landing in the water.  Embarrassed So in between the CS737 sessions, there is this!  Shocked

Thanks to a tip form an Avsim member, I've stumbled upon this plane and another one even pointed out the freeware model. I've added the 707 sounds to those 8 pods and roarrrrrr.  Cool

Did you even know they were on to some of those things?  Shocked 540 tonnes and up to 644 km/h. they should have told us.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #63 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 3:07am
Print Post  
One of the FSX missions has the Acranoplan in it. I remember doing it years ago, back when I decided to do all the missions. Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #64 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Wow. Didn't know that. They already refer to that monster?  Shocked

Well, expect me 'cruising' at some 50ft now, 350 knots. Looks pretty fast when being so close to the ground, but I have trouble seeing the landmass ahead and the turn radius is huge, so, sometimes, I 'land'.  Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #65 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
CoolP thanks for the AI Carriers link I love it!  Cool

I have been playing with the various ships. I did a bunch of FA-18 landings and decided to try the CS 727.
I put the fleet on a 270 degree heading at full speed and set the wind to 270/24.
I used 40 degrees of flap and touched down around 120 knots. The picture shows where it stopped.
I wanted to use instant replay to show a sequence to the landing, but no ship shows on the replay.   Sad

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #66 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Nuts again, but cool.  Cheesy I will try too!  Congrats on the landing. Now check the catapult.  Cheesy

'Name a typical carrier based aircraft.'
Boeing 727!  Cheesy

I think you can also choose different deck setups. Looks so clean. Or did you keep the folks away because you were coming in with a 727, needing some room to manoeuvre?   Cheesy Make sure to really pick the addon Nimitz in that tools menu. Otherwise it uses the FSX default carriers.

If you can't get enough, there also is a freeware LSO. I think he will talk down any plane (when configured), which I'm about to try.  Shocked http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

I wonder if we could attach some hook to the normal planes. Must be something in the aircraft.cfg.

The Nimitz in Melbourne.. Harbour. Well, I'm working on the details, ok?

Yeah, I know, default trike. Lets change that one to the 737.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #67 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Ok, I've cheated. I've set 80 kts for the wind (advanced dialogue), so with the ship moving, it was actually hard to reach the carrier.  Cheesy Vref was 128 and the landing was like this.

And up for the catapult!  Cheesy

What the heck!  Shocked

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #68 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 4:35pm:

Did you even know they were on to some of those things?  Shocked 540 tonnes and up to 644 km/h. they should have told us.  Cheesy

Its a sad story. Guys who worked on it ended up with no money and forgotten by everybody after USSR collapse. Ekranoplan was damaged during wrong takeoff procedure, and was never restored.

Some of EU or USA guys made offer to buy wreck and start international project in the beginning of 1990s, but RU rejected it because of "TOP SECRET MILITARY" crap.

Put the war guys off the board, get ekranoplan, and you can make pretty good money in overseas cargo transportation!!! Cheaper than B748, much faster than the ship.

One thing it dont like - high waves.

IP Logged

arcues10

Reply #69 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
cool

IP Logged

arcues10

Reply #70 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
too bad though

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #71 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Have to agree partially with Windy, would be a hell of a ride with those water planes.  Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #72 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
CoolP, how do you get all the planes on the deck to appear. I don't see any commands in the SHIFT/J for that.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #73 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
They are there by default when using that special carrier model from the freeware pack.
AI CARRIERS 2 & JAVIER'S USS NIMITZ & IKE 2 http://fsxblueangels.com/aicarriers%20download%20template.html

The best indication of a working installation is this menu in FSX.

If you see the Nimitz coming up, pick a fleet config and you should see the stuff as on my pics. Using other names than the Nimitz may only give you the default FSX carrier. Also, avoid the (empty) preset for the mighty Nimitz.

Note. For installing the Nimitz, you have to grab the cvn_68_69.cfg file and place it in AICarriers\conf.d folder so that the program knows where to place the ships and in which formation and configuration.

AICarriers being the program which steers the fleet and makes them appear. It's that small exe which comes up as a Java app and causes the above menu in FSX.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #74 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I'm still shocked by BIIS, but we have another candidate to be mastered. The very nice part about this one is the free nature since there's some good freeware out to allow flying to Bhutan, Paro.

The ICAO for that one is VQPR and you won't find that one in the default FSX selection. It isn't there! It's there, but not pretty. So, first, check out the airport itself in this video.

Find the link to the FSX freeware scenery in the video description. https://rapidshare.com/#!download|228p12|3021509571|PARO_Bhutan_VQPR_Package.zip... You will get the airport as an installer and some charts.
Edited:
You don't have to sign up at Rapidshare, just click the green download button and wait. It may be slow (some 150ks), but it works and just takes a few minutes then.

We are talking about the Himalaya mountain range. Check the MSA.

Expect very high surrounding terrain with the airport itself already being at 7333ft.  Shocked

The current temps being at 25/16°C and the QNH reading 1016 lead to a density altitude of 10300ft. Keep that in mind when planning on the available 'power' of the plane in use.

The approach is a tip from an Avsim thread, find it here. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/383751-crazy-approach-to-paro/

Now, on the approach itself, there's a cool video explaining it for a 737. I'll tend to fly our fine CS737-200 in there, if I succeed.  Undecided

Note. The video is from FS2004, we will be using FSX and the freeware was made for our sim. I find the video to be an excellent help, so really watch it closely if you are interested in not crashing.  Cheesy

The rw folks are flying different planes in there. The local Drukair airline had BAe 146 jets and now operates an Airbus A319 setup. However, Boeing was also testing their NG back then, right at this airport. So find some more details on the testing and challenges in this doc. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan.pdf

I recommend reading it, it explains the location a lot better than I do and it also offers some more charts.

For a rw approach in the mentioned Drukair A319 watch this video. The proximity to the terrain is amazing and having in mind how slow they have to fly to make the turn, while still banking pretty hard, adds to it.

For more stuff on how the folks from Avsim did there, more info and things, check the thread where the tip came from. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/383751-crazy-approach-to-paro/

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #75 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Ok, first 'real' attempt. ASE gave me a visibility of 2sm. Lol. Don't ask about my turns before landing.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:04am
Print Post  
In the video, when they approach the runway on short final, it appears that you could shoot spitballs from a straw if you were standing on the mountain ledge. Insain approach!  Shocked

Makes for fun in FSX though  Grin

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #77 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Please feel free to try it and post your pics.

I had a hell of a ride in the lovely 737-200. Very tricky and I will do it again, same as on the other locations in this thread. But I guess the very, very high mountains are unique on this one and I'm really happy some freeware dev rendered the airport. Lucky us!  Cheesy

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
I will, and I want to try it in the 767. I will post pictures this weekend after work!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #79 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
What, 767? That big? Yikes! Well, let us know how it works out. You still have the 757, just in case.  Tongue

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:24am
Print Post  
It's all about the thrill right?  Grin But yes it might require unrealistic braking and payloads Wink

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #81 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Maybe you are lucky and the rather 'boosted' breaking in FSX helps you. I actually like the challenge you set up with trying the 767, same as Lou's and Ahmet's 747 attempts at the other locations.

I will go for the 737 later, trying again to perform that circling action a bit better.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #82 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Here we go again ... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I just watched the  737  video. I noticed scenery is different then FSX default VQPR. Which  scenery we should follow? Smiley

(I tried to download Paro_Bhutan FREE scenery, Rapid_Share is asking 9 Euro for download) Undecided

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #83 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Hi, Ahmet.
asanal wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:20pm:
Here we go again ... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You name it.  Cheesy

The Rapidshare download should work without an account. It may be slow but working. Just click the green download button (not the others with 'signup' and stuff) and wait a bit.

I've loaded it the same way. I've just clicked it again and the download takes some 6 minutes, which is ok. If it still doesn't work, please write me a message.

There also is some payware, I'm thinking about getting it as nearby airports in e.g. India offer some nice regular routes. Lets see. The freeware works fine though.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #84 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks
I downloaded.
Now....I am going to my CS727-100. Grin
-----------------------------------------------------------
Woow..That wasn't easy flight with 727. Three approaches and finally landed on RW15. Turning  into Airport with 40 degrees bank and sharp decent was not realy much desirable flight...but I made it.
How my passengers doing???, I have no idea how they are doing,...I said to FO...Son..today is your day I am giving you the yoke  and I slided from window to tarmac.  I will never forget his shocked face and still firmly holding yoke.... Grin Grin Grin
Hey..hold a second ..before you say any thing...I am the CAPTAIN of this ship..or was I.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Passengers love to see grasses are, TOUCHING TO THE WING TIPS  Grin Grin
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9362/vqpr1.jpg

Wow I landed..lot of smokes from tires
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8103/vqpr2.jpg

There is not much left from available Runway
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8392/vqprstop.jpg

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #85 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Great pictures, especially the 'banking' one. The 727 looks really good at that place and since you've mastered the landing, I'm running out of options for even more difficult locations.

I'm still on trying some more with the 737 though.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #86 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Great flying Sanal! I doubt I could do that landing myself! AND I don't blame you for sliding out of the window after that. I think I would have too! Cheesy Grin Tongue

And good luck to you too CoolP! Shocked

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #87 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mark. But lets not forget, there may still be a 767 inbound to Paro, that's Evan's plane.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #88 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:25am
Print Post  
I was on my way from Kathmandu to Paro now and it seems like the training works out. I don't crash, but land.  Grin By the way, Kathmandu VNKT is also available as freeware and has a nice approach into that valley, only offering some VOR guidance first and later needing a visual part to actually make it to the runway.

Seems like this could be our next candidate.  Smiley Enroute to Paro, you will see this. The Himalaya Range to the left.

On Paro again, here's a nice video where they come in on rw15.

And here's another one in very good quality. Watch it in HD on YT, the scenery is magnificent. Note that this is rw33, not 15 as in the other videos.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #89 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Very nice scenery, but when I go to download the scenery it say it's for FS 2009.
Will it work for FSX?
Hope so since I just sold a lot of seats on the 747  Shocked

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #90 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
You mean that one?
Quote:
Find the link to the FSX freeware scenery in the video description. https://rapidshare.com/#!download|228p12|3021509571|PARO_Bhutan_VQPR_Package.zip... You will get the airport as an installer and some charts.

Don't worry, it's for FSX but it has a FS2004 basis which got reworked.
Quote:
The original FS2004 version of the airport by David Cuvillier can be found here -
http://www.simtours.net/paro.php

It works good, I haven't seen any errors yet and it even helps on the mesh with installing some freeware mesh for the place.

If one is already running some mesh like FSGlobal, he can turn these two files off though. At Scenery\World\Scenery mesh_Himalayas_MtEverest_LOD10.bgl and mesh_Himalayas_Kula_Kangri_LOD10.bgl.

747 again? Geez, I'm happy when I get the 737-200 down there.  Embarrassed And the takeoff run didn't come that easy later, although she was light. But that was with 28°C at those 7333ft.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #91 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
My  experience  RW15 approach is more difficult then 33. It was really hard to managed to land with 727 to RW15. Cheesy

LOU will  make perfect approach and landing with 747 to PARO.... Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #92 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
How did the 727 handle the takeoff, Ahmet? My 737 was pretty light, I had all the ULDs out, and I was on full throttle, screaming down the runway. The climbout was actually pretty good, but the takeoff roll lasted way longer than I would have liked it.

I'm running the 737 with Bud's mod though, so I don't have the superpowers from the default installation.

As a tip for you folks, in case you are looking for nearby destinations. Kathmandu Intl Airport VNKT is in the Avsim library. http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=vnkt&CatID=fsx&Go=Search Bit of an awkward installation with those four updates, but it works. 2500 folks already downloaded that one.  Cheesy

It's a nice location and a short trip to Paro. And there's no ILS or something, only VOR and a single RNAV (RNP) procedure. The place is tricky due to the high surrounding terrain again, but there is way more room to manoeuvre than at Paro.

If one is flying modern planes, check the RNAV (RNP) procedure, it's included in the current Navigraph database.

And here's some rw video on the VOR approach from the South.

As said, not as dangerous as Paro, but nice and also something else than just locking on the ILS. At that place, in that valley, some tragic crashes took place because the folks descended too soon for example.  Undecided

They have some VOR approaches with a circling part for East and West arrivals, those are the really dangerous ones I think but all of them need you to watch the DME and required altitude closely.

The departures then look like the ones at NZQN. You fly around the VOR (DME arc), then overfly it and leave the valley with some altitude gained. Find the charts here, older ones, but they work. http://www.virtualiroma.it/eventi/DANG4/vnkt.pdf

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #93 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I loaded light, Full power, hold brake until take off power developed. Flaps 15. Steady, at V1,V2 and  hope that is your lucky day Grin Grin

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2296/palo727.jpg (I realized my FSX calendar went back to July/2006)

This is my lucky day Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1741/palo7272.jpg

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #94 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
The second screenshot looks really cool. 'Climbing away.'  Cheesy

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #95 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I just spent an hour trying to land at PARO VQPR.
Default FSX scenery messed up. Airport in wrong place or something else.. Just doesnt look right in relation to montains. No way you can land there using described procedure!

So i'll get what you have guys. I had 3 Go arounds now Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #96 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Better to go around than to force a landing. Makes you a good pilot in my eyes. But really check out the freeware. With that, the mountains are in place and the airport shows nice details and clues.

Expect me to be on the Kathmandu - Paro route, still trying to fly both places. And I seem to form up a habit about killing the ground mechanic.  Undecided

This is how the freeware Kathmandu airport looks like. There's plenty of detail around the field. I really recommend that one from Avsim.

Let us know how it works out with the scenery, Windy.

Here's what ASE gave me on my last Paro attempts. A cloud layer right above the airfield. Thanks! Well, the landing on rw15 worked (the picture is from taxiing back) mainly because I've landed so many times before.

The payware airport looks nice. Not stellar, but nice. 15 Euros. However, there's no real gain over the freeware (except for the ground photo and nicer textures) which already offers the layout and terrain setup. And the payware also recommends installing the freeware mesh from Avsim to get rid of errors with the default FSX mesh. For users of FSGlobal, this is not a needed step though.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #97 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Well, I finally got the scenery up and running. It took me several tries to get FSX to see all the various details.

I tried RW 33. I decided to slip down the valley from the south east. I didn't try to make the turn since I don't know if even 45 or 50 degrees bank would give me the needed rate of turn in this beast.

Flying down the steep valley

On final

Short final, RW 33

Short field landing

At the gate... a lot of very happy passengers no doubt!

I'll try landing RW 11 next, but first I need a drink!  Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #98 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Here is my approach to RW 11.
Non of the passengers from my RW 33 flight would get back on the plane.  Huh

I found a bunch of locals who had never flown and took them for a ride.

Overhead the airport after the VOR starting the big loop.

After the loop, heading down the river toward the airport.

Airport in sight!

Trying to line it up...

Another short field landing.

The locals used the slides after the RW 11 approach. I'm not sure what they were telling me, but I smiled back.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #99 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Woow..excellent LOU..Amazing how experience will  guide the way

to achieve the difficult  landing. Cheesy Cheesy

It is really hard to make those turns...

Ahmet

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #100 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Nothing short of impressive, especially the rw15 run. Now we have a parking problem.  Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #101 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Wow this is truly great fun.
Ahmet you are correct the turns in a big plane are tough.
Sorry I called it RW 11 when it is indeed 15. Too excited I guess!

Thanks CoolP for finding this wonderful airport and all the links for the scenery.
Between this and Iceland and NZ we sure are having fun!

Lou

P.S. My brake temp light was on after the landing!  Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #102 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Did you try to get the 747 out of there? Regardless of the active runway, with both directions being a challenge. I flew a part of the track from the Boeing doc, but in the small 737 of course.

Quote:
P.S. My brake temp light was on after the landing!

Cheesy

Well, if you folks like to, check Kathmandu too. http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1344489562/92#92 It's some 200nm away and makes for a nice approach, although way easier, means you can start and land the big ones.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #103 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Takeoff from VQPR in a 747

Fuel 202,300
GTOW 670,000
Payload 72,000
Temp 2C

RW 33

Hold brakes, full power, here we go!

Lift off

Follow the river up the valley

This capture is at the same place as prior photo

RW 15

Same as RW 33, full power, flaps 10

V-R

V-2

Wheeee...

Really this is no place for a 747 - ever!  Shocked

A hot day at this altitude would make it very interesting.

B-737 or A-320 series would be a lot more reasonable.

Lou

IP Logged

davidcahill

Reply #104 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Can someone here tell me what I need to upgrade my 737 in FSX. Which one do I start with......

Thanks

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #105 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:08am
Print Post  
This actually looks pretty good. I thought she would eat up the runway and then start complaining about the mountains.  Shocked I wanted to try the 767 yesterday, but I think I leave that to Evan.  Cheesy

I'll stick to the 737 I think, we became quite a team around Paro now.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #106 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
davidcahill wrote on Sep 3rd, 2012 at 7:18pm:
Can someone here tell me what I need to upgrade my 737 in FSX. Which one do I start with......

Hi, David and welcome to the forums.  Smiley

I don't know if I got your question correctly, but for the FSX 737 (which is a 737-800) there are some freeware upgrades which add some features. For the 737-200 we are using in this thread, you have to look into the Captain Sim shop. http://www.captainsim.com/products/x737/ You will need the base pack to receive a full plane. The other parts then add some variants.

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #107 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
I gave up in VQPR for now. No way i can make final turn good enougth. FS2004 scenery from FSX404 channel a bit simplified. S turn a lot sharper in FSX scenery CoolP suggested, and it really is like that. I can land only by passing very close to houses to the right. A dangerous way Smiley
Lack of Auto-throttle in 727 makes situation hotter Shocked

So i prescribed myself a week of flying turns, procedure turns, precise turns and descends. Will return to it next week Wink

BTW departing rw 15 in B727-100 at 130 000 TOGW at about 5 degrees - thats a scary ride! As well as late go-arounds, - i made em a lot here Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #108 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:48am
Print Post  
I didn't know you were on FS2004, Windy. This video shows the FS2004 case.
So is this your tricky part, from 09:30 on? http://youtu.be/4jnPtYmXPSM?t=9m30s The last S-turn?

I wouldn't care much for the 'close to the houses' feel. The rw folks seem to come in pretty close. Look here.

The last part (losing altitude just after passing the last hill and lining up) looks a bit like bush flying for me. The (sim) video guy also gets the sink rate warning, which may show that he aims for rather high vertical speeds just before starting the flare.

I'd leave the AT off (if the plane had one), it doesn't work fast enough for what I'm planning. Sharp turns, nose up and down, that's a heavy sim task. On a stabilized approach or with rw systems, this would look different I guess. So far, I always had a bit of extra speed due to the last descent and could bleed it off when passing over the rw threshold and flaring the plane. While doing this, I look exactly like my avatar.  Cheesy

Expect me to adjust the throttle on the 737-200 a lot before even getting close to the runway. The spool up behavior is a bit difficult on that one (very slow, where I think it should be way faster on high thrust settings) so I always feel like lagging behind quite a bit, which takes time to get used to.

I add throttle before the turns and things, to account for the extra drag, but the point is that doing this too soon will raise the speeds for the turn itself, which is a thing I don't want. Same for the too late case, where you are running out of airspeed while already flying close to the limit.

With the airspeed indicator being the only way to determine the acceleration in the sim, the mentioned spool up behavior of the engines doesn't make it easier to correct for errors. Same for the rather low-ish refresh rates of the gauges in the 737-200. So, in short, I guess that approach is tricky, no matter what.  Cheesy The one who tries it already is a sim hero.  Smiley

Regardless of that one, if you have some tips on Russian locations, hopefully with some freeware for the sim, just shoot. I would love to fly there some more, although default FSX doesn't look that good and I only have some generic addon landclass in place.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #109 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking this is one of the trickiest approaches I've seen.

I'm guessing the hill at the Temple is about 400 feet above the valley floor.
At a normal 300 feet per mile this puts the descent rate a bit high for a straight in, over the hill final.

I did a little Google Earth mapping and used the threshold to the 1,000 foot target on the runway to make a scale.

Either way, at over 200 feet per second you close the distance in a hurry.

Lou

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #110 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Lou,

Which airport is it ?

I am heavily involve with Prepar3D transition from FSX . Shocked
IT looks like a major and complicated project.  Undecided Undecided Undecided
Ahmet

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #111 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Nice research, Lou. Those GE shots look really good. I always forget about how powerful that stuff already is. Gives an impression without having been there and puts it to scale. So the big ones have to rely on the S-curve, no matter what, huh?

Ahmet, we are still at Paro. But we can't shock you with approaches, so get your P3D running and join us again, ok?  Smiley

By the way, I really recommend a read on Bhutan. It's interesting and somehow funny how their air travel developed. The small prop planes and later some jets, than a medium airliner and how much money that was for the small country. Very nice read on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druk_Air

The other nice read was already posted. The Boeing test and demonstration flights with a bit of performance data. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan.pdf They flew the stuff with a single engine setup, something I can't even imagine in the 737-200.  Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #112 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
747 into Paro

Well, on the approach to RW 15 I tried several different methods.

I did a straight in over the hill to RW 15. Got the plane all set-up for landing way out.
I flew at Bug to Bug +5 to keep the energy as low as possible.
I cleared the hill like the beach at St. Martin. As soon as I got past the hill I pushed the nose over
to about 1,500 FPM to get into the slot.

GPWS is not happy with that as you can imagine.  Shocked

In order not to gain too much speed I made a small reduction in thrust.
Since these large planes have a lot of inertia it is dangerous to have a high sink rate close to the ground
even with some extra speed, since you still have to reduce the sink to near 500 FPM as you cross the threshold and start the flare.
Although I was able to land, it was a pretty wild maneuver since you will have to bring the nose up smartly
while adding a bit of power so you have enough energy to make the flare.

Next I tried the around the hill method.

If I flew completely left of the hill the turns were pretty steep so I modified the track a bit
so I ended about half way up the hill with a offset heading then I only needed a sharp
left turn to final instead of the S turn. This allows an almost normal rate of descent
and better speed control. As I past the Temple on the hill I was just about level with it.

My wake as I flew by got all the prayer wheels spinning, maybe the reason for my success?  Wink

The Boeing report is very good reading. I would not like to loose an engine on a warm day - PERIOD
Add to that a bit of weather and it would be 85 P.S.I on the sphincter - at least!

A-320 or B-737 is a nice plane for this place. CS C-130 is also fun!  Smiley

Lou

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #113 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Paro Air
Is proud to announce service between
Paro and Kathmandu
with three non-stops daily
in super comfort
using CS-Boeing 737 service.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us  Cool

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #114 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Looks like Druk Air received some competition.  Cheesy

On the planes being suitable for the airport, I just saw an ATR pilot writing about some 300fpm climb rate with one engine gone (at lower altitude airports I guess). Certainly not something I wanted to end up with at Paro. And that's with the planes like the ATR being a regular at such airports.

Pilots live dangerous lives.  Shocked

With Lou now making the 747 work at Paro, the next question is if the airport could serve as a Space Shuttle landing site.  Cool

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #115 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
And there's our next target. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KASE  Roll Eyes Scroll down to find the charts. There's a visual approach and two instrument assisted ones. Looks easier than Paro (well, most approaches will look easier than that one), but surely interesting.

I only went there with small planes so far. Some freeware is here. http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/us.html but I'm running the payware. I will check the 737 there soon.  Cheesy

Check the charts and the descent profile.  Shocked I also love the LOC backcourse when going missed.

Here's a beautiful rw video from a P180.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #116 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Well, here is a place I actually flew into in the 757.

Notice the EMAS at each end of the runway. We called it pudding, but it's a life saver when you need it! (engineered materials arrestor system)

Telluride, CO. Highest commercial airport in the U.S.

Daytime landing in good weather was no problem landing east.

If the weather was furry you can see where a go-around was an interesting maneuver indeed.
A tight right climbing turn to avoid steep terrain in all quadrants.

Imagine loosing an engine in the process - yikes!  Shocked

Several times when the weather was good we would make a visual approach from the east to land on RW 27.
This was not available if the weather was bad. As you can see the hills are pretty steep and all around.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #117 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Wait, isn't that Tell-U-Ride?  Cheesy Seriously, thanks for the tip, Lou. I comes in handy in two ways. First of all, it looks like another nice location and, second, I'm finished with Aspen.

Seems like the Paro training worked out, so the easier Aspen stuff didn't frighten my 737. I had some rather high vertical speeds, but the landing worked just fine with the nice weather around.
This is from the LOC assisted approach, I guess the visual one will be a bit harder when being unfamiliar with the area. I came in from KSLC Salt Lake City.

Approaching KASE.

Cockpit view.

The landing worked out, plenty of room.

So lets see if KTEX comes with some scenery in FSX. Here's some older freeware. http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/us.html I've just slewed around in the default trike to get a feel for the place. Looks doable, so I will fly the 737 from Denver to Telluride later.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #118 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 9:01am
Print Post  
KTEX was a good tip! A nice approach through some of the early haze.

Setting up the flight at KDEN, surrounded by the sissy new planes.  Grin

Enroute to KTEX Telluride.

The approach. Thanks to exploring the area before, I could make out the airport sooner. The one picture shows an enlarged 'here it is' spot.  Cheesy

The landing worked, although the touchdown wasn't charming I guess.

But the plane is intact, so I can board some new folks.

I did not try to go-around. I think the old gal was happy that way.  Cool But it's real fun flying the old ship in and out of such locations. I had some 737 flights with the fancy NG variant before and I always enjoy coming back to the old steam gauges.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #119 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I guess we are lucky, guys. Some friendly fellow from the Orbx forums just announced that he has done some freeware for KTEX. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=171573

I haven't tested it yet, but I will soon. Perhaps with the 727. Either way, go ahead and try that scenery and flight, a great tip that was.

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #120 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
NOTICE: After some 727 bush flying in Africa CloudSurfer flies helicopters now too.

FSX NTSB.

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #121 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Grin

Welcome to the club.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #122 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
That freeware KTEX Telluride looks really good. I've just slewed around.

So I think we can try Lou's tip with all planes now, the location is set.  Cool

Compare it with the default airport from here. http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1344489562/118#118 A major improvement and it works with UTX installed and without, so no worries.  Smiley

KTEX Telluride, here we go with the 727!  Cheesy I may post some pictures later.

Seems like even the pudding part is featured now.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #123 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
CoolP said: Compare it with the default airport from here.
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1344489562/118#118
A major improvement and it works with UTX installed and without, so no worries.

Thank you again for a very nice tip on the ORBX scenery.
It loaded very nicely and looks GREAT!

Just did a few flights in the CS 727 and had a lot of fun.

Now I need to crank up the CS 757 and do the same!  Smiley

Lou

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #124 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
The devil made me do it!  Shocked

KTEX with the 747...  Cool No more gate space!  Tongue

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #125 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 6:04am
Print Post  
Nice shots! Seems like we have yet to find a place where you can't land a 747. A Manhattan helipad. Grin

Did the takeoff work out again? I was testing some of the 727 FDE tweaks and didn't have much rw left with the 727-100.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #126 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
The "Thunder Pig" a.k.a. 727 was never a star takeoff performer with the -5 or even -7 engines.

I used about 30% fuel and it took a good bit of runway.
The 747 with the same 30% fuel did about the same, using a lot of runway. V1 would not have worked.

Oh BTW I used a lot of braking and got the Brake Temp light again!  Grin

The 757 or the A-320 series planes would do a nice job operating at KTEX.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #127 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:25pm:
The "Thunder Pig" a.k.a. 727 was never a star takeoff performer with the -5 or even -7 engines.

That explains why it mainly got louder, not necessarily faster as I throttled up.  Cheesy

Did they ever run a 727 based service to KTEX by the way?

Flying KDEN - KTEX now in the 727-100.

And here's the landing. A bit hot and high at first, but that drag from the flaps allowed an easy deceleration so the first attempt worked out, with a bit of floating though. This time as United.

The weather could have been clearer, there wasn't much visual guidance until getting very close. I think I've violated the MDA.  Undecided But I knew there was an airport ahead.  Cheesy

And the scenery once again looks and feels very nice.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #128 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I never flew into KTEX in the 727. With larger engines the -100 would do OK. Stopping is never a problem in the 727.

I never gave it a second thought in the 757 flying into KTEX or KSNA for that matter - only around 5,700 feet of runway and VERY noise sensitive to boot!

Very busy airport with a lot of GA traffic. Notice how close the GA runway is to the main runway. Often times they would have parallel small traffic and a 757 almost right next to each other. If you didn't see the little plane - which was almost always because of haze and the fact that you are looking at the rear profile - you almost always had to go around.

The airport would open at 0700. I flew into this airport for months at a time flying the dawn patrol. The big fun was to try to get your clearance in early and be first to taxi. If I remember, this was one of the highest revenue stations we flew into. Nobody, if they could avoid it, wanted to fly out of KLAX so they would pay the premium price to use KSNA.  

A turn to 175 degrees after takeoff is required for noise abatement. The 727 was so loud it would never be allowed into this airport.  Shocked

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #129 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Are any of you having trouble with the scenery at KTEX? I'm getting two runways, one on top of the other, with the bottom one bleeding through:

I have the KTEX scenery nearly at the top of the priority list, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Also, here's a great freeware John Wayne scenery. However, it has a similar problem, in that the entire scenery is elevated above the ground by a few feet, and your plane crashes instantly--hopefully this can be fixed...

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #130 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Which addons are you running around the US? Things like UTX and some mesh maybe?

If you have UTX, make sure to perform this step.
Quote:
13.For people that use Ultimate Terrain USA or the up coming Southern Rockies by ORBX go to Telluride(KTEX) scenery folder and remove cvxKTEX TOWN.BGL and TEX Houses.bgl and place scenery about Ultimate Terrain USA and ORBX.

It worked here, but I don't know if this solves the elevation problem. The airport looks ok here with UTX USA and FSGlobal mesh.

On the KSAN scenery (which is a great tip), I had the same problem with some mixed up elevation. First step was to disable the Megascenery SoCal airport of mine. That's a single bgl file. Then I still had some trouble with the terrain and made a correction file. I can send you that one if you like.

Edited:
Forget my correction file, I think it was flawed. The airport works best with the default installation here.  Embarrassed

I'm planning a KSNA flight soon, but I will bring the noisy stuff.  Cheesy Look, 1979 featured them at KSNA. http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01242303&size=large

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #131 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 6:16am
Print Post  
And here's my KSNA flight with the Delta 737-200 Adv. The weather offered a bit of haze and some low clouds on the approach. But she did fine, so I can pick up my new passengers and try a takeoff later.

Enroute from KSJC San Jose. The scenery is freeware from Blue Sky Scenery. http://www.blueskyscenery.com/CA.html

On the ILS. Now flying over Megascenery SoCal.

And landed.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #132 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Lol, I just saw some AI 737 landing at 19L at KSNA (=2800ft rw). Those guys are tough, who would ever doubt that?  Cheesy

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #133 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
The AI act like as if they were ex-WW2 pilots.  Cheesy

I have seen them do dives, 70 degree angle climbs and all sorts of stuff!!

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #134 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:26am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:56pm:
Which addons are you running around the US? Things like UTX and some mesh maybe?

If you have UTX, make sure to perform this step.
Quote:
13.For people that use Ultimate Terrain USA or the up coming Southern Rockies by ORBX go to Telluride(KTEX) scenery folder and remove cvxKTEX TOWN.BGL and TEX Houses.bgl and place scenery about Ultimate Terrain USA and ORBX.

It worked here, but I don't know if this solves the elevation problem. The airport looks ok here with UTX USA and FSGlobal mesh.

On the KSAN scenery (which is a great tip), I had the same problem with some mixed up elevation. First step was to disable the Megascenery SoCal airport of mine. That's a single bgl file. Then I still had some trouble with the terrain and made a correction file. I can send you that one if you like.

Edited:
Forget my correction file, I think it was flawed. The airport works best with the default installation here.  Embarrassed

I'm planning a KSNA flight soon, but I will bring the noisy stuff.  Cheesy Look, 1979 featured them at KSNA. http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01242303&size=large

I'm not running any sort of addons in those areas. Is there anything in the scenery.cfg file that could mess that up? I've been having trouble with that lately.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #135 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The AI act like as if they were ex-WW2 pilots.  Cheesy

I have seen them do dives, 70 degree angle climbs and all sorts of stuff!!

Grin And here's the guy who's trained them. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060525211410/jedipedia/de/images/4/45/Yo...
'Flying STOL with 737 you can'  Cheesy

Quote:
I'm not running any sort of addons in those areas. Is there anything in the scenery.cfg file that could mess that up? I've been having trouble with that lately.

Good question. Just make a backup of the current one and try a bit, means disable all the addons and check again.

From how I read the airport's readme, it should work out of the box on default FSX terrain and mesh and needs the mentioned files disabled when somebody uses UTX or later Orbx.

There's a freeware at Avsim which checks the scenery.cfg file for errors. I don't know if that helps, but since it's free, maybe it's worth a shot. It does a lot more than error checking, mainly organizing the file. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329102-scenery-config-editor/page__st__50#entry2333...

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #136 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I've found us a new target. Well, not really tricky on the approach path but on the density altitude in place. So, apart from a few other locations on the planet, this one may be very demanding on the plane in use.

Lhasa, Tibet ZULS
. There's some freeware here which adds the river to the place. http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ZULS+AIRPORT+Version+2&CatID=fsx&...
There's another freeware at Avsim which may add more details to the airport itself but doesn't add the river.

See a rw video here. Very sparse scenery in the rw.

Now the approach looks like this. The charts are included in the freeware download from above.

The path isn't very demanding when being used to other things like Paro. And the airport can handle wide-body aircraft too. So it's more like the current conditions are the challenge, giving me a density altitude of 15.500ft!  Shocked

Means your engines feel like landing at 15.500ft and later trying to bring the plane back into the air. By the way, you may have guessed right, that place isn't that far away from Paro.

Here's the Google Earth view when coming from the West.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #137 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I will join,but I cannot find  ZULS airport in FSX. Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #138 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Right you are, Ahmet. It isn't there in the default FSX. Use the freeware from above, it works good, except for slight mesh problems on the river as far as I can see. But since we don't come in with seaplanes, we should be ok.

Oh, and I've already found another location which should max. out our sim envelope in both altitude and even runway length (for civil airports). And there also is some freeware, so I will post some details next.

But first, lets try Lhasa.  Cheesy The nice thing about that airport is that I could actually try the 707 there.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #139 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
My FSX  deactivated. I tried to put three Zuls files into  P3D "Add On Scenery" file, but it didn't appeared in "Scenery Library". Huh Huh

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #140 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
That's strange. The files should work with any sim (FSX/P3D). Can you check again if they are in an active scenery folder? You have to manually add them if you put the files in a new folder.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #141 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I've looked up some more locations on our thrilling actions theme. What I've found was this.

Quote:
The History Channel rated Eagle County Regional Airport as #8 on its list of Most Extreme Airports in July 2010 due to the altitude, weather variability, an approach through mountainous terrain and challenging departure procedures.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_County_Regional_Airport.

Now I've looked up the default airport (which was a mess when it comes to the details) and also went for the well known freeware lists to come up with the Eagle County Regional Airport KEGE files. No luck.  Sad

So I took the step and edited the default airport to, hopefully, show some current layout and navaids setup. Means one now can fly to the airport and use the LDA approach in conjunction with current charts. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEGE

Here's the real approach on an older pic and when looking for the go-around or takeoff path, you see what makes the departure a problem.  Shocked Somebody has placed a mountain in front of the place!

The sim version isn't that nice, but I took some shots with the 737 (from an earlier stage of my editing) and with a nice GA plane (final stage). The shots are done with UTX USA, GEX USA and FSGlobal mesh.

You are coming down with a so called LDA approach (localizer type directional aid) which, in this case, is an offset localizer and a steeper GS (3.80) degrees. Also, you can read the DME. All of those things were either wrong or not there in the default airport, hence my work.

Here's an earlier version of it with the 737. Keep in mind that one should allow some gusts and winds in the weather program. By this, one can at least guesstimate the work it takes to fly into Eagle County as the sim would otherwise render it a 'on rails' experience.

The departure needs some turns and climb rate. With small or fast planes, this isn't that easy. The airport may fit planes up to the 757 I think.

Find the download here. http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3axoe Edited:
Updated link. Bugfix.  Embarrassed
Now this is my first airport, so please report back if there was any trouble. I have another one (KRIL) in the making.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #142 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I've found a really nice video, showing some folks arriving at St. Barths and the surrounding isles. Very cool approaches flown, very basic flying skills. Watch it bigger! The first part is at St. Barths, the second one then is at St. Maarten.

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #143 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
That twotter at 3:04 killing me! guys a REAL bush pilots Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #144 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that was  Shocked I like the shots where the camera is on that hill and the planes fly super close to people's heads.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #145 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 1:46am
Print Post  
They should stop while planes are landing. Fools!
Says me who used to stand at the end of the R.A.A.F. runways (Laverton, Tindal and Richmond) watching jets taking off and landing! Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #146 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 1:07am
Print Post  
The should stop building roads next to flying planes.  Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #147 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 2:12am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 1:07am:
The should stop building roads next to flying planes.  Smiley
Definitely!!! HAHAHAHA  Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #148 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I'd like to start a new episode on the challenging locations and came across Alaska in general and especially Dutch Harbor PADU. It's pretty remote and has a small runway plus a windy setup. Not to mention the conditions for most of the time. For the folks with experience around Iceland, Alaska might come in very similar at times.

See some rw (nice weather) flying here. He's landing on rwy30 with a right hand turn.

Actually, prop planes seem more appropriate over there, but they are running regular 737 services too. Now here's one prop plane, showing a bit of the scenery and the winds. Mind the weather conditions and also be aware that there isn't any precision approach available. This is rwy30 with a left hand turn.

Just to prove the 737 ops, here's my favourite video.  Cheesy That's our 737 by the way, but with the 'gravel kit' (unpaved strip kit). This is a rwy12 landing, using the NDB-A approach. That's the easiest one, the landings on rwy30 are a pain.

To fly to that place, you have DME, a NDB and a GPS approach. None of them offers 'straight in' guidance. So the last part always is the circle-to-land stuff which you may already know from our previous challenges.

To get to rwy30, you have to use the circle-to-land method as in the first two videos.

On Alaska, the UTX Alaska payware really is a treat. I've found it to be their best UTX release so far. Very close to the Orbx treatment at some places and very detailed for such an area addon. On the airport, PADU, there's payware from another company which is really nice and doesn't come in very expensive. As far as I could see, there's no freeware.

Now one may need additional locations to allow for a frequent service. I already have PANC Anchorage and I'm thinking about PAFA Fairbanks too. But the tricky approaches happen at the smaller airports coming with UTX Alaska or being default ones. I often ran cargo ops from PANC with the 707, which isn't the right plane for the way smaller PADU of course. But PANC makes sense if you are a freight dog.  Cool

I'd wish for some freeware and payware on the Russian area, but there isn't much, if anything.  Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top