Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Send TopicPrint
 25 Thrilling action with the 737 (Read 109623 times)
CoolP

Re: Thrilling action with the 737
Reply #105 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:08am
Print Post  
This actually looks pretty good. I thought she would eat up the runway and then start complaining about the mountains.  Shocked I wanted to try the 767 yesterday, but I think I leave that to Evan.  Cheesy

I'll stick to the 737 I think, we became quite a team around Paro now.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #106 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
davidcahill wrote on Sep 3rd, 2012 at 7:18pm:
Can someone here tell me what I need to upgrade my 737 in FSX. Which one do I start with......

Hi, David and welcome to the forums.  Smiley

I don't know if I got your question correctly, but for the FSX 737 (which is a 737-800) there are some freeware upgrades which add some features. For the 737-200 we are using in this thread, you have to look into the Captain Sim shop. http://www.captainsim.com/products/x737/ You will need the base pack to receive a full plane. The other parts then add some variants.

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #107 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
I gave up in VQPR for now. No way i can make final turn good enougth. FS2004 scenery from FSX404 channel a bit simplified. S turn a lot sharper in FSX scenery CoolP suggested, and it really is like that. I can land only by passing very close to houses to the right. A dangerous way Smiley
Lack of Auto-throttle in 727 makes situation hotter Shocked

So i prescribed myself a week of flying turns, procedure turns, precise turns and descends. Will return to it next week Wink

BTW departing rw 15 in B727-100 at 130 000 TOGW at about 5 degrees - thats a scary ride! As well as late go-arounds, - i made em a lot here Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #108 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:48am
Print Post  
I didn't know you were on FS2004, Windy. This video shows the FS2004 case.
So is this your tricky part, from 09:30 on? http://youtu.be/4jnPtYmXPSM?t=9m30s The last S-turn?

I wouldn't care much for the 'close to the houses' feel. The rw folks seem to come in pretty close. Look here.

The last part (losing altitude just after passing the last hill and lining up) looks a bit like bush flying for me. The (sim) video guy also gets the sink rate warning, which may show that he aims for rather high vertical speeds just before starting the flare.

I'd leave the AT off (if the plane had one), it doesn't work fast enough for what I'm planning. Sharp turns, nose up and down, that's a heavy sim task. On a stabilized approach or with rw systems, this would look different I guess. So far, I always had a bit of extra speed due to the last descent and could bleed it off when passing over the rw threshold and flaring the plane. While doing this, I look exactly like my avatar.  Cheesy

Expect me to adjust the throttle on the 737-200 a lot before even getting close to the runway. The spool up behavior is a bit difficult on that one (very slow, where I think it should be way faster on high thrust settings) so I always feel like lagging behind quite a bit, which takes time to get used to.

I add throttle before the turns and things, to account for the extra drag, but the point is that doing this too soon will raise the speeds for the turn itself, which is a thing I don't want. Same for the too late case, where you are running out of airspeed while already flying close to the limit.

With the airspeed indicator being the only way to determine the acceleration in the sim, the mentioned spool up behavior of the engines doesn't make it easier to correct for errors. Same for the rather low-ish refresh rates of the gauges in the 737-200. So, in short, I guess that approach is tricky, no matter what.  Cheesy The one who tries it already is a sim hero.  Smiley

Regardless of that one, if you have some tips on Russian locations, hopefully with some freeware for the sim, just shoot. I would love to fly there some more, although default FSX doesn't look that good and I only have some generic addon landclass in place.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #109 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking this is one of the trickiest approaches I've seen.

I'm guessing the hill at the Temple is about 400 feet above the valley floor.
At a normal 300 feet per mile this puts the descent rate a bit high for a straight in, over the hill final.

I did a little Google Earth mapping and used the threshold to the 1,000 foot target on the runway to make a scale.

Either way, at over 200 feet per second you close the distance in a hurry.

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #110 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Lou,

Which airport is it ?

I am heavily involve with Prepar3D transition from FSX . Shocked
IT looks like a major and complicated project.  Undecided Undecided Undecided
Ahmet

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #111 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Nice research, Lou. Those GE shots look really good. I always forget about how powerful that stuff already is. Gives an impression without having been there and puts it to scale. So the big ones have to rely on the S-curve, no matter what, huh?

Ahmet, we are still at Paro. But we can't shock you with approaches, so get your P3D running and join us again, ok?  Smiley

By the way, I really recommend a read on Bhutan. It's interesting and somehow funny how their air travel developed. The small prop planes and later some jets, than a medium airliner and how much money that was for the small country. Very nice read on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druk_Air

The other nice read was already posted. The Boeing test and demonstration flights with a bit of performance data. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan.pdf They flew the stuff with a single engine setup, something I can't even imagine in the 737-200.  Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #112 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
747 into Paro

Well, on the approach to RW 15 I tried several different methods.

I did a straight in over the hill to RW 15. Got the plane all set-up for landing way out.
I flew at Bug to Bug +5 to keep the energy as low as possible.
I cleared the hill like the beach at St. Martin. As soon as I got past the hill I pushed the nose over
to about 1,500 FPM to get into the slot.

GPWS is not happy with that as you can imagine.  Shocked

In order not to gain too much speed I made a small reduction in thrust.
Since these large planes have a lot of inertia it is dangerous to have a high sink rate close to the ground
even with some extra speed, since you still have to reduce the sink to near 500 FPM as you cross the threshold and start the flare.
Although I was able to land, it was a pretty wild maneuver since you will have to bring the nose up smartly
while adding a bit of power so you have enough energy to make the flare.

Next I tried the around the hill method.

If I flew completely left of the hill the turns were pretty steep so I modified the track a bit
so I ended about half way up the hill with a offset heading then I only needed a sharp
left turn to final instead of the S turn. This allows an almost normal rate of descent
and better speed control. As I past the Temple on the hill I was just about level with it.

My wake as I flew by got all the prayer wheels spinning, maybe the reason for my success?  Wink

The Boeing report is very good reading. I would not like to loose an engine on a warm day - PERIOD
Add to that a bit of weather and it would be 85 P.S.I on the sphincter - at least!

A-320 or B-737 is a nice plane for this place. CS C-130 is also fun!  Smiley

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #113 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Paro Air
Is proud to announce service between
Paro and Kathmandu
with three non-stops daily
in super comfort
using CS-Boeing 737 service.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us  Cool

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #114 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Looks like Druk Air received some competition.  Cheesy

On the planes being suitable for the airport, I just saw an ATR pilot writing about some 300fpm climb rate with one engine gone (at lower altitude airports I guess). Certainly not something I wanted to end up with at Paro. And that's with the planes like the ATR being a regular at such airports.

Pilots live dangerous lives.  Shocked

With Lou now making the 747 work at Paro, the next question is if the airport could serve as a Space Shuttle landing site.  Cool

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #115 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
And there's our next target. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KASE  Roll Eyes Scroll down to find the charts. There's a visual approach and two instrument assisted ones. Looks easier than Paro (well, most approaches will look easier than that one), but surely interesting.

I only went there with small planes so far. Some freeware is here. http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/us.html but I'm running the payware. I will check the 737 there soon.  Cheesy

Check the charts and the descent profile.  Shocked I also love the LOC backcourse when going missed.

Here's a beautiful rw video from a P180.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #116 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Well, here is a place I actually flew into in the 757.

Notice the EMAS at each end of the runway. We called it pudding, but it's a life saver when you need it! (engineered materials arrestor system)

Telluride, CO. Highest commercial airport in the U.S.

Daytime landing in good weather was no problem landing east.

If the weather was furry you can see where a go-around was an interesting maneuver indeed.
A tight right climbing turn to avoid steep terrain in all quadrants.

Imagine loosing an engine in the process - yikes!  Shocked

Several times when the weather was good we would make a visual approach from the east to land on RW 27.
This was not available if the weather was bad. As you can see the hills are pretty steep and all around.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #117 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Wait, isn't that Tell-U-Ride?  Cheesy Seriously, thanks for the tip, Lou. I comes in handy in two ways. First of all, it looks like another nice location and, second, I'm finished with Aspen.

Seems like the Paro training worked out, so the easier Aspen stuff didn't frighten my 737. I had some rather high vertical speeds, but the landing worked just fine with the nice weather around.
This is from the LOC assisted approach, I guess the visual one will be a bit harder when being unfamiliar with the area. I came in from KSLC Salt Lake City.

Approaching KASE.

Cockpit view.

The landing worked out, plenty of room.

So lets see if KTEX comes with some scenery in FSX. Here's some older freeware. http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/us.html I've just slewed around in the default trike to get a feel for the place. Looks doable, so I will fly the 737 from Denver to Telluride later.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #118 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 9:01am
Print Post  
KTEX was a good tip! A nice approach through some of the early haze.

Setting up the flight at KDEN, surrounded by the sissy new planes.  Grin

Enroute to KTEX Telluride.

The approach. Thanks to exploring the area before, I could make out the airport sooner. The one picture shows an enlarged 'here it is' spot.  Cheesy

The landing worked, although the touchdown wasn't charming I guess.

But the plane is intact, so I can board some new folks.

I did not try to go-around. I think the old gal was happy that way.  Cool But it's real fun flying the old ship in and out of such locations. I had some 737 flights with the fancy NG variant before and I always enjoy coming back to the old steam gauges.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #119 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I guess we are lucky, guys. Some friendly fellow from the Orbx forums just announced that he has done some freeware for KTEX. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=171573

I haven't tested it yet, but I will soon. Perhaps with the 727. Either way, go ahead and try that scenery and flight, a great tip that was.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top