Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Thrilling action with the 737 (Read 109616 times)
CoolP

Re: Thrilling action with the 737
Reply #135 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The AI act like as if they were ex-WW2 pilots.  Cheesy

I have seen them do dives, 70 degree angle climbs and all sorts of stuff!!

Grin And here's the guy who's trained them. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060525211410/jedipedia/de/images/4/45/Yo...
'Flying STOL with 737 you can'  Cheesy

Quote:
I'm not running any sort of addons in those areas. Is there anything in the scenery.cfg file that could mess that up? I've been having trouble with that lately.

Good question. Just make a backup of the current one and try a bit, means disable all the addons and check again.

From how I read the airport's readme, it should work out of the box on default FSX terrain and mesh and needs the mentioned files disabled when somebody uses UTX or later Orbx.

There's a freeware at Avsim which checks the scenery.cfg file for errors. I don't know if that helps, but since it's free, maybe it's worth a shot. It does a lot more than error checking, mainly organizing the file. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329102-scenery-config-editor/page__st__50#entry2333...

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #136 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I've found us a new target. Well, not really tricky on the approach path but on the density altitude in place. So, apart from a few other locations on the planet, this one may be very demanding on the plane in use.

Lhasa, Tibet ZULS
. There's some freeware here which adds the river to the place. http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ZULS+AIRPORT+Version+2&CatID=fsx&...
There's another freeware at Avsim which may add more details to the airport itself but doesn't add the river.

See a rw video here. Very sparse scenery in the rw.

Now the approach looks like this. The charts are included in the freeware download from above.

The path isn't very demanding when being used to other things like Paro. And the airport can handle wide-body aircraft too. So it's more like the current conditions are the challenge, giving me a density altitude of 15.500ft!  Shocked

Means your engines feel like landing at 15.500ft and later trying to bring the plane back into the air. By the way, you may have guessed right, that place isn't that far away from Paro.

Here's the Google Earth view when coming from the West.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #137 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I will join,but I cannot find  ZULS airport in FSX. Shocked

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #138 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Right you are, Ahmet. It isn't there in the default FSX. Use the freeware from above, it works good, except for slight mesh problems on the river as far as I can see. But since we don't come in with seaplanes, we should be ok.

Oh, and I've already found another location which should max. out our sim envelope in both altitude and even runway length (for civil airports). And there also is some freeware, so I will post some details next.

But first, lets try Lhasa.  Cheesy The nice thing about that airport is that I could actually try the 707 there.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #139 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
My FSX  deactivated. I tried to put three Zuls files into  P3D "Add On Scenery" file, but it didn't appeared in "Scenery Library". Huh Huh

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #140 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
That's strange. The files should work with any sim (FSX/P3D). Can you check again if they are in an active scenery folder? You have to manually add them if you put the files in a new folder.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #141 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I've looked up some more locations on our thrilling actions theme. What I've found was this.

Quote:
The History Channel rated Eagle County Regional Airport as #8 on its list of Most Extreme Airports in July 2010 due to the altitude, weather variability, an approach through mountainous terrain and challenging departure procedures.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_County_Regional_Airport.

Now I've looked up the default airport (which was a mess when it comes to the details) and also went for the well known freeware lists to come up with the Eagle County Regional Airport KEGE files. No luck.  Sad

So I took the step and edited the default airport to, hopefully, show some current layout and navaids setup. Means one now can fly to the airport and use the LDA approach in conjunction with current charts. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEGE

Here's the real approach on an older pic and when looking for the go-around or takeoff path, you see what makes the departure a problem.  Shocked Somebody has placed a mountain in front of the place!

The sim version isn't that nice, but I took some shots with the 737 (from an earlier stage of my editing) and with a nice GA plane (final stage). The shots are done with UTX USA, GEX USA and FSGlobal mesh.

You are coming down with a so called LDA approach (localizer type directional aid) which, in this case, is an offset localizer and a steeper GS (3.80) degrees. Also, you can read the DME. All of those things were either wrong or not there in the default airport, hence my work.

Here's an earlier version of it with the 737. Keep in mind that one should allow some gusts and winds in the weather program. By this, one can at least guesstimate the work it takes to fly into Eagle County as the sim would otherwise render it a 'on rails' experience.

The departure needs some turns and climb rate. With small or fast planes, this isn't that easy. The airport may fit planes up to the 757 I think.

Find the download here. http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3axoe Edited:
Updated link. Bugfix.  Embarrassed
Now this is my first airport, so please report back if there was any trouble. I have another one (KRIL) in the making.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #142 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I've found a really nice video, showing some folks arriving at St. Barths and the surrounding isles. Very cool approaches flown, very basic flying skills. Watch it bigger! The first part is at St. Barths, the second one then is at St. Maarten.

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #143 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
That twotter at 3:04 killing me! guys a REAL bush pilots Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #144 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that was  Shocked I like the shots where the camera is on that hill and the planes fly super close to people's heads.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #145 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 1:46am
Print Post  
They should stop while planes are landing. Fools!
Says me who used to stand at the end of the R.A.A.F. runways (Laverton, Tindal and Richmond) watching jets taking off and landing! Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #146 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 1:07am
Print Post  
The should stop building roads next to flying planes.  Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #147 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 2:12am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 1:07am:
The should stop building roads next to flying planes.  Smiley
Definitely!!! HAHAHAHA  Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #148 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I'd like to start a new episode on the challenging locations and came across Alaska in general and especially Dutch Harbor PADU. It's pretty remote and has a small runway plus a windy setup. Not to mention the conditions for most of the time. For the folks with experience around Iceland, Alaska might come in very similar at times.

See some rw (nice weather) flying here. He's landing on rwy30 with a right hand turn.

Actually, prop planes seem more appropriate over there, but they are running regular 737 services too. Now here's one prop plane, showing a bit of the scenery and the winds. Mind the weather conditions and also be aware that there isn't any precision approach available. This is rwy30 with a left hand turn.

Just to prove the 737 ops, here's my favourite video.  Cheesy That's our 737 by the way, but with the 'gravel kit' (unpaved strip kit). This is a rwy12 landing, using the NDB-A approach. That's the easiest one, the landings on rwy30 are a pain.

To fly to that place, you have DME, a NDB and a GPS approach. None of them offers 'straight in' guidance. So the last part always is the circle-to-land stuff which you may already know from our previous challenges.

To get to rwy30, you have to use the circle-to-land method as in the first two videos.

On Alaska, the UTX Alaska payware really is a treat. I've found it to be their best UTX release so far. Very close to the Orbx treatment at some places and very detailed for such an area addon. On the airport, PADU, there's payware from another company which is really nice and doesn't come in very expensive. As far as I could see, there's no freeware.

Now one may need additional locations to allow for a frequent service. I already have PANC Anchorage and I'm thinking about PAFA Fairbanks too. But the tricky approaches happen at the smaller airports coming with UTX Alaska or being default ones. I often ran cargo ops from PANC with the 707, which isn't the right plane for the way smaller PADU of course. But PANC makes sense if you are a freight dog.  Cool

I'd wish for some freeware and payware on the Russian area, but there isn't much, if anything.  Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top