Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Are you using the PDCS? How do you like it? (Read 10094 times)
CoolP

Are you using the PDCS? How do you like it?
Jul 4th, 2012 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Speaking about this little box in your 737 cockpit.  Cheesy

Performance Data Computer System

Find it right next to the throttles. Well, it's not only about whether you are using it or not, it's about how it actually works for you and, most of all, if it causes any crash to desktop (CTD) situation.

Concerning this topic (http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1341266566), Michael and I were wondering if those CTD problems could be described in more detail. So, if you receive some CTDs, please describe the rough circumstances to allow the devs some judgment about the problem. Much appreciated.  Smiley

Also, if you frequently use it, enter data, compute things, and it does not crash, please feel free to post too.

Starting off in this thread. I received some CTDs and even a BSOD (blue screen of death) when using the FUEL mode and pressing the RCL key).  Shocked I was very happy with just computing some EPR values, but the more submodes I used and the more buttons I pressed, the more likely became the CTDs and I can't pinpoint it to one special mode or button, it seems more like a combo thingy.  Undecided

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Are you using the PDCS? How do you like it?
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 6:48am
Print Post  
I love it. But like others I have the occasional Fatal Error/CTD. I have not had a BSOD like CoolP mentioned. YET! I'm very much looking forward to the next patch when it should be fixed. Grin

I have found that if I take my time filling everything in, I don't have a Fatal Error/CTD. BUT, if I start clicking the buttons too fast, I'm guaranteed to get a Fatal Error/CTD. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Cthulhus

If it's Boeing,   I'm
going !

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Same here and sometime I have a CTD.

I have one question about it.

When I don't have a CTD using it, the PDCS and after filling the page gave me the ERP settings. Ok, but during take off, when I throttle up, the engine go out that values (mean the ERP). I think that normally, the CTCS must prevent that no? And keep the engines on the ERP range according the PDCS?

Xavier Jehl (Cthulhus) &&&&
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Cthulhus wrote on Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:05am:
When I don't have a CTD using it, the PDCS and after filling the page gave me the ERP settings. Ok, but during take off, when I throttle up, the engine go out that values (mean the ERP). I think that normally, the CTCS must prevent that no? And keep the engines on the ERP range according the PDCS?
I think it could be because the PDCS is not linked to the EPR bugs. In other words, the PDCS does not move the bugs to the EPR setting that it recommends.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Cthulhus

If it's Boeing,   I'm
going !

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 8:01am
Print Post  
The fact that the PDCS moves the ERP Bugs or not is not the real and first problem. The problem is that it gives you the ERP value, okay, great ! BUT, with that you set this value in the ERP gauge with bugs, but when you make a TOGA or a simple Throttle up, it's useless because the ​​engines values goes beyond with what I put in the ERP gauge.

Normally, I think that the PDCS must limits, prevent and keep the ERP value to that range when you set the throttle range to max.

So right now, the PDCS is a simple "widget"...

So, the answer is : NO, I don't like it for now ! and hope later I will. Unless I'm wrong...

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Thanks for your input, guys. It's good to see that the problem gets confirmed. Got some ideas on a lead? I'm puzzled and I think Mark's expression is the closest we saw yet.

Xavier, if I've read the docs the right way, you have a point on the EPR bugs. They should get driven by the PDCS when pressing ENGAGE. Now that's a confirmed bug or missing feature. The key just doesn't do anything. It should get lit to show that you can now set the EPR bugs. When pressed, the bugs should move.

The other stuff, the PDCS not preventing the engines from going higher, is by design. I think Lou would have some ideas here, but it's not linked to any overspeed protection. Instead, the pilot flying would set the initial thrust values when starting the takeoff and then grab the yoke with both hands, while the pilot not flying would fine tune the throttles to meat the pre-set EPR bugs. In the case of an emergency, the pilot flying would grab the throttles again and either retard them or go full power for, I don't know, clearing an obstacle or meeting some climb gradient in the SID.

The PDCS itself isn't linked to the position of the throttles and can't command them. Later autothrottle installations received their values though. I wonder if the old engines (non FADEC) actually had some overspeed protection. I could think of simple rpm limits, which would mean that high OAT plus full throttle will cause some damage or at least the need for an inspection.

On setting the EPR bugs, you can push them in for PDCS controlled values or pull the knobs out to be in the 'M' mode, for the manual setup. Normally, this may only be necessary for special cases like operating hot&high. So if the crew is hot and the pilots are high. Grin

With the current 737 build, we are always in 'M'. I also think that we are missing the flight mode annunciator for the active PDCS modes. Should be some 4 lights on the Captain's and FO's side, stating about the currently active thrust mode like CON, HOLD, DES, GA. The PDCS should also drive the speed bugs for the v-speeds.

Regardless of my long texts, the PDCS CTD issue remains to be puzzling.  Undecided Maybe only few folks actually use it?

IP Logged

Cthulhus

If it's Boeing,   I'm
going !

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Ok thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I still have sometime the CTD.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Don't worry, we'll stay on it.  Smiley I think that most people could live with missing features or even faulty data on some occasions, but ending a flight due to a CTD is  Angry.

IP Logged

marvic

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
No, first I tried it and got shut down. Tried it again and the same thing. Was going to try it again but was distracted by a shiny object.......... Anyway, I will wait for the next service pack, hoping for the cure all. I realize CS is deep into the Triple 7 project for now. So it may take awhile. when the issue gets rectified, I will be a user of the PCDS, till then, I will continue to fly without it.
As for CoolIP,Bud7h7,fxpaul your commitment as well as others to keep the 737 project moving and helping out CS, I thank you.

Cheers, Mark Win7 64bit, i5 2500K 4.2Ghz, Gigabit Z68X-UD4-BE, GSkill 12800 DDR3 8gig ram, GTX960,WD 2t, 250gb SSD, P3Dv3, GSX, REX E. EZDok, Accu-Feel, ORBX,Track IR5, Saitek PRO; Yoke, pedals, Xtra throttles & headset

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Thanks for your kind words, Marvic.

May I ask about the rough circumstances of the PDCS problems at your end? E.g. what mode did you use or which button or situation lead to a problem? Any data is good data.  Smiley

IP Logged

marvic

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:00am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:48am:

May I ask about the rough circumstances of the PDCS problems at your end? E.g. what mode did you use or which button or situation lead to a problem? Any data is good data.  Smiley

After you asked what my issue was, I tried it again and could not get a CTD until I tried to do everything as Markoz said Too fast.
After that It did the CTD thing until I restarted my computer. So, for now
I will be take it nice and slow and see what comes of it. I'll try it several times before I will commit myself for an online flight only to lose everything or waste a controllers time. I will keep you posted. At any rate, the patch will be very welcomed.

Cheers, Mark Win7 64bit, i5 2500K 4.2Ghz, Gigabit Z68X-UD4-BE, GSkill 12800 DDR3 8gig ram, GTX960,WD 2t, 250gb SSD, P3Dv3, GSX, REX E. EZDok, Accu-Feel, ORBX,Track IR5, Saitek PRO; Yoke, pedals, Xtra throttles & headset

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:35am
Print Post  
marvic wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:00am:
CoolP wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:48am:

May I ask about the rough circumstances of the PDCS problems at your end? E.g. what mode did you use or which button or situation lead to a problem? Any data is good data.  Smiley

After you asked what my issue was, I tried it again and could not get a CTD until I tried to do everything as Markoz said Too fast.
After that It did the CTD thing until I restarted my computer. So, for now
I will be take it nice and slow and see what comes of it. I'll try it several times before I will commit myself for an online flight only to lose everything or waste a controllers time. I will keep you posted. At any rate, the patch will be very welcomed.
Glad that my suggestion of clicking the buttons a bit slower has helped. Since I started doing it that way, I only had one CTD, but I think that was because I accidentally did a rapid double click on a button. Sad

All this talk of the PDCS made me do a flight and use it (the PDCS) for the first time in about two months. Lately, I have been a bit busy with the 777 and another new aircraft, so I haven't done many flights with the 737 in that time. The PDCS worked fine and I didn't get a CTD.

On the CRZ page (ECON) it recommended EPR of 1.72 for a speed of M.72. I flew at FL320, EPR of 1.63 and a speed of M.78, so it was off by a bit. However, after doing all that, I realized that I was still using the 737 original settings, so I have changed them and plan on doing the same flight again, with the modified settings.

The FL page (#3 button), gave me FL370, no matter what I did. I thought that was above the service ceiling of the 737-100/200/200ADV which I was 35,000 feet. I can't figure if this is the PDCS doing it because my Gross Weight was low or not.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
Glad that my suggestion of clicking the buttons a bit slower has helped. Since I started doing it that way, I only had one CTD, but I think that was because I accidentally did a rapid double click on a button.

I too have used slower clicks / no rapid clicking and it's worked great so far.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:08am
Print Post  
I have two assumptions on the CTDs, but this is just guesswork. One thing is the gauge code of course, ending up in a situation causing the CTD. Another one is just the sound on the buttons. That rather sharp click. I could imagine it being a problem when the clicks are performed faster.

As said, just guessing. To test the sound stuff, one may load up the plane without that sound.dll being active or with the disabled click sound in Captain Sim\sounds.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:29am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:08am:
I have two assumptions on the CTDs, but this is just guesswork. One thing is the gauge code of course, ending up in a situation causing the CTD. Another one is just the sound on the buttons. That rather sharp click. I could imagine it being a problem when the clicks are performed faster.

As said, just guessing. To test the sound stuff, one may load up the plane without that sound.dll being active or with the disabled click sound in Captain Sim\sounds.

I would say the coding and not the sound.

With the sound (.wav) files, most modern computers are capable of playing multiple files at the same time. A classic test of this is when flying the CS757 or CS767, open the crew announcement panel and click on each of the buttons to hear them all at once. It sounds funny (and annoying to others), but my computer can play all of them at the same time.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 8:47am
Print Post  
You are right on the actual ways of playing sounds. I think I should have been more specific since I don't know about how the gauge 'calls' for the click sounds. The sound stuff on the plane is handled by the sound.dll running alongside FSX and my assumption was pointing at the interaction of that dll with the system.

For example, I saw some sound related problems with another dev's B-17 and certain sound hardware. Every time the initial click was 'called', some PCs received a BSOD or just some CTD. It wasn't the actual wave file being called, but the ways of the calling.

Sounds weird  Cheesy, I know, but you can call for sounds in FSX in different ways and since I saw that CS chose the dll to interact with things, I was assuming some more complex processes being involved. Hence my point on the click and perhaps some background buffer causing a CTD when being full (too fast clicks).

So my suggestion was to try some FSX runs without the sound.dll of the CS737 (one has to edit the dll.xml for this, to avoid it being loaded) and still 'hammer' that gauge with fast clicks. Here's the entry to look for.
Code
Select All
	<Launch.Addon>
		<Name>Captain Sim 737 Sound</Name>
		<Disabled>False</Disabled>
		<Path>Captain_Sim\737\cs.sound.dll</Path>
	</Launch.Addon> 

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I'm not so sure. Because if the company that makes the B-17, is the one that makes Accu-Feel, then I can still hear their sounds even when FSX is not the main focus. For example, when Accu-Feel is in use in FSX, I can be using another program or even another game and I can still hear the wind in the VC, even though FSX is minimized, and my focus is on another program. This does not happen with any Captain Sim products.

Still. I do see what you mean, and it might be causing the issue anyway. Undecided

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top