Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
 25 CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE (Read 327190 times)
Markoz
CS Team

Re: CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE
Reply #75 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 1:25am
Print Post  
You have no power to the CIVA INS? I can't figure that one out. My INS works fine as long as the power is on.

Which leads me to think this -> Are you starting from a flight that has the Avionics Master Switch OFF? Just asking to be sure I cover everything I can think of.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

aceridgey

Reply #76 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:43am
Print Post  

Mark,

By avionics you mean turning the ground power to on? setting the rotating knobs to ESS ,
Ext power
Ext power?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #77 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
aceridgey wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:43am:
Mark,

By avionics you mean turning the ground power to on? setting the rotating knobs to ESS ,
Ext power
Ext power?

No. My default flight for FSX is the C172, cold-n-dark except for the Master Avionics Switch. With a few of my add-on aircraft, if that switch is off, I can't get the avionics turned on without using my keyboard shortcut (CTRL+SHIFT+A). This includes what you are referring to with External Power, ESS, etc...

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

aceridgey

Reply #78 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
still not working mark,
i will submit a ticket, but it would be nice if Captain sim would actually help out for a change.

Erm, i am now lost, i do not know what to do at all,
the VC ins lights up when i turn it to stanby, but not the 2d panels

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #79 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
gauge03=../civa/INS!Config,         0,    0,  0, 0, CS707      <--- This should be csx701 instead

The marked value is just a name for the .Isd file in the civa folder. See this as some sort of saved configuration file.
You can name it anything you want and I've chosen a different name for "my" Civa installation to enable all users to go back to the default Captain Sim one without loosing any files there.

From the Civa manual
Quote:
Configuration Files (.ISD)
The ISD files, to be found in the /Civa subfolder, is where the INS system stores all its own
saved information.
By default the INS system (see "Config" gauge reference below) uses default.isd. The
system also supports custom ISD file names in order to associate each panel (where the
INS is installed) with a specific ISD file, so keeping saved data separated on a per-panel
basis.
If specified .ISD file does not exist it will be automatically created by the INS system as soon
as "Config" gauge is executed.
Wink

Your installation looks ok to me.
Please go to the Civa folder, find the 707 related .Isd files and move or delete them. Restart your PC, load the 707 and try again to establish power on the Civa.

Something seems to corrupt the .Isd file from time to time, not only on my installation but on the default one too. I haven't found the trigger for this so far but starting on a fresh Isd helps here.

Don't worry, you won't lose any data by doing this. The last coordinates will always show "0" as there are no last ones available. Not a problem, you have to enter new ones anyway every time you start aligning the INS.

Please don't think that the VC INS gauge has anything to do with the real Civa INS (which is 2D only). This one is just a dummy and shows the FSX coordinates when powered.
The only linkage between this gauge and the Civa one seems to be the power switch. But it only causes the VC one to light up and this doesn't reflect any status concerning the Civa gauge.

You can't write tickets on this because this is a modification of your original installation.
Please revert back to the Captain Sim INS solution (this is the one with the single CDU) and then test again if you want to have official support on this.

My double Civa installation is not supported by Captain Sim. It can't be and it shouldn't be and nobody said that it is.
A known fact on all user made modifications.

IP Logged

simbiosi

Reply #80 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
aceridgey wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 5:47pm:
but not the 2d panels

Maybe i am wrong and maybe is nothing related but I have a strange sitution, all the INS CDU are always blank after turn knob to STBY even with APU power.
Everything light up by opening the CS AP 2d panel and all INS CDU works correctly.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #81 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Everything light up by opening the CS AP 2d panel and all INS CDU works correctly.

simbiosi, that's a good input here which might lead to a source of non working INS units.
I'll investigate on this. Thanks in the meantime.

Investigated: No source of problems here but a small advisory on the INS usage.

This line here
Quote:
gauge04=../civa/INS!Config,         0,    0,  0, 0, CS707

defines the "initial" gauge of the whole Civa installation. Regardless if you use my modification or the original one from Captain sim.

This line is located in the [Window00] entry (of panel.cfg) on both INS approaches. This means that [Window00] is the only window which can initialize the Civa INS and therefor make it work.

[Window00] is the simicons popup. You have to open this little popup once to initialize the Civa INS, otherwise it will stay black and powerless all the time.

So if you don't use the simicons at all and try to open the Civa with the Shift key combination, it won't initialize and therefor will stay black and powerless.

Captain Sim integrated the "INS!Config" entry in [Window00] and I did too, so the behavior will stay the same, regardless if you use my installation or the CS one.

For more details on this, see the text from the Civa manual
Quote:
Syntax: gaugeXX=../Civa/Ins!Config, x, y, dx, dy, NameOfTheConfigFile
Usage: MANDATORY
Window00: The gauge  MUST be placed in the main  [Window00]  section of
panel.cfg. The order is not important, it can be "appended" as the last gauge but, if
there are other INS gauges within [Window00], then this gauge MUST be the first INS
gauge to be defined.

This "must be in [Window00]" seems to come from the old 2D panel times. [Window00] was your 2D cockpit there.
As we don't have a 2D cockpit now, the initial panel is the [VCockpit01] and following ones. So if you want to enable the Civa config gauge, you have to open up a popup panel (or integrate the gauge in the VCockpit section).
But, to make complicated looking things short, initialization can easily be achieved by opening the one panel (or "window") that contains the Ins!Config gauge.

Conclusion:
The usage of the Civa INS has to be started by opening the simicons panel ([Window00], shift-1) once to enable the initialization of the INS related gauges. After this, the simicons panel isn't needed any more (for this).

If further problems arise, delete the mentioned .Isd file to allow a clean start of the gauges.

I hope this helps to understand some things.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #82 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This line is located in the [Window00] entry (of panel.cfg) on both INS approaches. This means that [Window00] is the only window which can initialize the Civa INS and therefor make it work.

I don't have to open the SimIcon Panel to get mine to work. Here is what I do once the 707 using the CIVA INS is loaded into FSX:

1) Battery.....ON
2) External Power ON (Animations Panel opened using Shift+2)
3) External Air ON.External Power.....ON (Animations Panel opened using Shift+2)
4) DC Meters Selector.....TR ESS
5) Essential Power Source Selector.....EXT PWR
6) AC Paralleling Selector.....EXTERNAL POWER
7) Engine Bleed Air Switches.....ON
8) Wing Valves.....OPEN
9) Left & Right Air-Conditioning Unit Pack Switches.....ON
10) Open INS Unit (Shift+7) and Turn MODE SELECTOR Knob to STBY

The lights come up straight away. My CIVA INS unit is ready for me to enter the coordinates and then turn the MODE SELECTOR Knob to ALIGN. I only ever press Shift+1 to bring up the SimIcons panel once in a blue moon. I can't remember the last time I did this. As you can see, pressing SHIFT+1 is not a part of my powering up the plane.

So you understand how I have my INS setup in the civa_panel that I modified to suit me. Here it is:

;CIVA
[Window06]
size_mm=250,368
background_color=16,16,16
window_pos=0.000, 0.070
position=0
visible=0
ident=11041
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Config, 0, 0,   0,   0, csx701
gauge01=../civa/INS!Cdu1,   0, 0, 250, 196
gauge02=../civa/INS!Msu1, 0, 196, 250, 71
gauge03=../civa/INS!Adeu1, 0, 267, 250, 101

Oh. And here is my [Window00] from that same panel.cfg file:

[Window00]
file=bg.bmp
background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,768
window_size_ratio=1.00  
position=7
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
render_3d_window=0
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000
gauge00=..\panel\Captain_Sim.x707.sys!main, 0,0, 2,2
gauge01=..\panel\Captain_Sim.x707.sound!main, 0,0,1,1,Captain_Sim\707\sound.ini
gauge02=..\panel\Captain_Sim.x707.tools!icons, 0,532,24,120
;CIVA
gauge03=../civa/INS!Config,         0,    0,  0, 0, csx701
gauge04=../civa/INS!NavModeSingle,  0,  652,  1, 1
gauge05=../civa/INS!CduPanelIcon,   0,  652, 24, 24, 11041

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #83 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Mark, you've doubled
Quote:
../civa/INS!Config, 0, 0,   0,   0, csx701

and now you have it in Window06 and Window00.

Doesn't seem to cause a problem though. But your opening of Window06 causes the gauges to initialize (because the "INS!Config" gauge comes alive) and they therefor work, that's all.

This doubling isn't recommended by the Civa manuals but it's not forbidden too of course.

As you already have an Engineers Award on the 707, you now have a INS Navigator one too.  Smiley Congratulations!

You could, just for testing purposes, delete the entry in the window06 and then go with your mentioned checklist again.
If you don't open window00 (simicons panel) at all, your INS units should stay black and powerless then because the one initialization gauge ("INS!Config") doesn't get triggered to active.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #84 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:50am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:59pm:
Mark, you've doubled
Quote:
../civa/INS!Config, 0, 0,   0,   0, csx701

and now you have it in Window06 and Window00.

Doesn't seem to cause a problem though. But your opening of Window06 causes the gauges to initialize (because the "INS!Config" gauge comes alive) and they therefor work, that's all.

This doubling isn't recommended by the Civa manuals but it's not forbidden too of course.

As you already have an Engineers Award on the 707, you now have a INS Navigator one too.  Smiley Congratulations!

You could, just for testing purposes, delete the entry in the window06 and then go with your mentioned checklist again.
If you don't open window00 (simicons panel) at all, your INS units should stay black and powerless then because the one initialization gauge ("INS!Config") doesn't get triggered to active.

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle!

How I came to put that in Window06, I don't honestly know. My modified Window06 was just supposed to be the gauges from windows 06, 07 and 08 combined so that when I open the INS I have everything there that I want to access, without having to open window 07 or 08. OK. For some unknown reason I copied that line from Window00, seeing all those lines were below ;Civa, and knowing that Window00 was the SimIcons gauge, I shouldn't have copied anything from there.

Now. If I comment out //gauge00=../civa/INS!Config, 0, 0,   0,   0, csx701 then you are right. I have to open Window00 (Shift+1) to get the INS to come alive. My next test was to remove that line from Window00 and leave it in window06. It works that way.

THEN. To further the experiment. I removed the line from both Window00 and Window06 and placed it in the VCockpit01. It works there, although I haven't done a flight with it being in the VCockpit01, the fact that it comes alive leads me believe it will work fine.

So for me. I will keep it in Window06 and not have it in Window00 (because it isn't recommended). I have done quite a few flights using INS with the setting that way (not that it was intentional) and it worked perfectly. Although I will do a few test flights with it in the VCockpit00 and see if all goes well.

And finally. That, I believe, will explain why Alex couldn't get the INS to come alive. Cheesy Grin

Thanks CoolP. You have been a great help in getting to the bottom of this. I'm sure Alex will appreciate it even more!

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #85 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I hope it helps, that's what it's for.

VCockpit entries would be the most logical solution here. The VC is the thing that you see when loading the plane, so all gauges would get initialized without a click or the need to open a popup.

I'd have to test this too and maybe we can advance the Civa mod with this new and easy setup which eliminates at least one big source of errors.

Putting it into the CDU or MSU popup window would be another easy method to get rid of this error source.
I've just placed it in window00 because the CS original panel.cfg had it there.
If you look into my 727 modification, you'll see that I didn't follow the Civa manual and placed it on the AP 2D popup, which is Window03.

Now, with me and you knowing more than before, we can maybe advance those two mods with another place for the initialization gauge of the Civa.
I'll test this soon and then maybe edit my tutorial posts here.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #86 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Hi CoolP.

Why not put it with the MSU gauge? That is the gauge that you first need to open. You use it to put the INS into STBY mode, which is when the INS needs to "come alive" for the first time. Or maybe even in the INS CDU unit which is nice to have open at the time you put it into STBY. They just seem to be the obvious places to put it. Although, for me, putting it in the VCockpit00 is the best place. Definitely THE best place for those of us who start in the VC and not the 2D Cockpit. If it works fine in my tests, that's where I may leave it.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

aceridgey

Reply #87 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:29pm
Print Post  

CoolP and Mark, you are true gents!

I am not home at all for a while, so cannot test your theory out at all,

as far as i understand this is what i need to do?

1) I need to go to fsx/civa and see if there is a 707 file in there? and delete it [i cant remember a 707 file being there but i have to check again]

2) Follow CoolP set up on page one of this thread [coolp could you check its updated to 1.2 and anything else you have learnt since].

3) when i load the plane, the first thing i need to do, is press shift+1, then load up the power and the 2d ins should work fine?

I think thats all?

Alex

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #88 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
3) when i load the plane, the first thing i need to do, is press shift+1, then load up the power and the 2d ins should work fine?

Exactly, that's the current way to go. Shift-1 opens the simicons panel (the small quick access buttons). Do this once and the Civa gets initialized and will start up fine.

Mark, I'll put the changes in in the next days, so that everybody gets initialized gauges right from the start.
Seems like a good finding to me, thanks for the help there guys.

I've just edited the 707 and 727 tutorial. The config entry now is in the Vcockpit section so no special user made initialization is needed anymore.
Both planes are VC only, so the initialization will start when entering the cockpit.

If one wants to go for this new version I suggest starting from the scratch (with the backup panel.cfg) to avoid any possible error sources.
See page 1 in this thread for the details.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #89 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:29am
Print Post  
aceridgey wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:29pm:

Yes. That is all you need to do. For now! But only until CoolP updates the instructions on how to do the dual INS. Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top