Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233287 times)
Libretto

Re: FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Reply #225 - May 26th, 2011 at 8:14am
Print Post  
DAL191 wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 7:39pm:
Libretto

All didnot go well while on the STAR. As the plane was heading in the general direction of the airport it was supposed to turn right, go straight for several miles then turn left and head for the transition. At the first waypoint instead of turning right the plane did not change heading continuing straight on. I had to disengage LNAV and make the turns myself.  It landed okay but something was messed up with the STAR. I think I'll fly in the United States, Europe, and Asia.

Michael Cubine

Yesterday I did the same flight.
Everything went well till about after TUC ( VOR Tunis Cartage ).
On the CDU I saw a descent of 10.000 ft in 8 miles...
So just before the STAR ( ATLE1R) I manually did a turn left , flew 5 minutes straight on and then made a turn right.

I was hoping the aircraft would catch up with the next waypoint , but the aircraft tried heading back to Tunis ( north, while Monastir was in fact south-west).
No possibility to delete waypoints before the STAR and the CTR stayed on the waypoint just after TUC.

I manually flew the STAR ( ATLE1R ) till the LOC casptured the signal.
Then the App was very easy and the aircraft made a pefect landing.

IP Logged

Ste-757

T/D: Descending Point
Reply #226 - May 25th, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Hi captains, recently I have some problems with my T/D Point. Infact when i select a star with the runway, the T/D doesn't appear and I must do my descend manually.  All the fix have the altitude of cruise, except of the fix with altitude restriction. The airac are up to date, and my methods of programming FMC is always the same (even when i didn't have these problems).

Hoping to hear back from you soon

Regards

Stefano&&

IP Logged

DAL191

Re: T/D: Descending Point
Reply #227 - May 26th, 2011 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Read the May 12th and 14th, 2011 posts in the follwing thread.http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208001573/195.

Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

wims

Re: T/D: Descending Point
Reply #228 - May 26th, 2011 at 6:48am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #229 - May 26th, 2011 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Libretto wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 8:14am:
DAL191 wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 7:39pm:
Libretto

All didnot go well while on the STAR. As the plane was heading in the general direction of the airport it was supposed to turn right, go straight for several miles then turn left and head for the transition. At the first waypoint instead of turning right the plane did not change heading continuing straight on. I had to disengage LNAV and make the turns myself.  It landed okay but something was messed up with the STAR. I think I'll fly in the United States, Europe, and Asia.

Michael Cubine

Yesterday I did the same flight.
Everything went well till about after TUC ( VOR Tunis Cartage ).
On the CDU I saw a descent of 10.000 ft in 8 miles...
So just before the STAR ( ATLE1R) I manually did a turn left , flew 5 minutes straight on and then made a turn right.

I was hoping the aircraft would catch up with the next waypoint , but the aircraft tried heading back to Tunis ( north, while Monastir was in fact south-west).
No possibility to delete waypoints before the STAR and the CTR stayed on the waypoint just after TUC.

I manually flew the STAR ( ATLE1R ) till the LOC casptured the signal.
Then the App was very easy and the aircraft made a pefect landing.

Just tried this flight again and now it flew the ATLE1R Star.
However at the end of the Star it is just 3-4 nm to the airport and the FMC had me flying at 2600 ft.
Impossible to descent in 40 seconds.....
Speed was just 152 knots.

I tried again and turned of VNAV to come in lower...
It is a very steep turn and then Loc and almost immeditaley App and Gear out.
Before you know you overfly the airport.... Lips Sealed  

Btw : I used 3D Real Cockpit Effect on the flight and it really added to realism.

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #230 - May 26th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Libretto

Stay away from Africa. The whole continent is third world with maybe the exception of South Africa and its moving in that direction. It's crap like these STARS that contribute to the poor safety record of Africa.

Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #231 - May 26th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
DAL191 wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 2:27pm:
Libretto

Stay away from Africa. The whole continent is third world with maybe the exception of South Africa and its moving in that direction. It's crap like these STARS that contribute to the poor safety record of Africa.

Michael Cubine

LOL  Grin

Unfotunately my wife is from Tunesia , Sousse ( that is just near Monastir) so I can't stay away.... Wink

I checked FSC 9 and it said that after the turn I should come in at 2714 ft and be direct in line with the rw.

What I experienced is that after the turn the aircraft was much closer to the airport ( 3-4 miles perhaps instead of 7 miles as it should be ) and in a line of 15 degress to the right of the airport.

FSC 9 is reading also Navigraph data like CS does.
So what was the mistake here...?  

BTW

I myself did a bit scenery designing myself last year

Monastir Harbour ( Airport in the distance )
members.casema.nl\gsalden\Tunesie1.jpg

Monument former President Habib Bourguiba
members.casema.nl\gsalden\Tunesie2.jpg

Sousse Harbour
members.casema.nl\gsalden\Tunesie4.jpg

Sousse Boulevard
members.casema.nl\gsalden\Tunesie5.jpg

Port El Kantaouie ( Sousse North )
members.casema.nl\gsalden\Tunesie7.jpg

Example coastline corrections
members.casema.nl\gsalden\Tunesie8.jpg

IP Logged

wims

Reply #232 - May 26th, 2011 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
It does appear that the FMS will not plot a DME arc approach automatically , so you'll have to fly it manually. The DME arc will take you around MON at 13 dme distance, when you get to RINOS you tighten up the turn to intercept the ILS for rwy 7. As I said earlier its critical that you have all the charts for the departure and arrival airport. Never trust the plane to be able to fly any part of the route, and make sure that you read and understand the charts before you start the approach / departure / whatever. Also double check your route how it looks in the nav display and the FMC and compare it to the charts. If you had done that it should have been fairly obvious that the dme arc was not plotted and that you'd have to fly it manually.

example dme arc for DTMB:
Use this chart for reference -> http://www.oaca.nat.tn/images/AD2DTMB29.b.pdf
To add situational awareness graphics for a dme arc you go to the fix page, enter MON in the scratchpad (the three character code for the Monastir VOR), then click LSK1L. Then click the LSK for the correct MON VOR in the list (its the top line for me, double check coordinates with your flightplan / charts)
Enter /013 on the scratchpad and press LSK2L.

Whenever you get close enough to the VOR you have entered a dme arc for the FMC will plot a situational awareness arc according to the data you entered at the FIX page. The FMC will not fly the arc for you, you have to handfly this approach.

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #233 - May 26th, 2011 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
This what was in the FMC and FSC 9 , but the aircraft did not make the turn right and also did the turn to early.
Even without the DME arc it had to be done correctly. 

To make it look like this I had to take out MON/13.

IP Logged

wims

Reply #234 - May 26th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
mon/13 is not an actual fix, its just an indication that you have to fly a dme arc at 13 dme from mon. You have to handly it. The plane will not turn automatically.

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #235 - May 26th, 2011 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
wims wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 3:47pm:
mon/13 is not an actual fix, its just an indication that you have to fly a dme arc at 13 dme from mon. You have to handly it. The plane will not turn automatically.

Thanks for the info.
Probably the angle was to much for the aircraft and it couldn't line up correctly.

For my earlier mentioned problem , flying another direction with HDG  for a while and then trying to return to the fp ,I found an answer here at the forum, posted by Sjef Gielen :

I allways fly the plane in heading mode because the DME Arc is not in the STAR, as soon as I've flown the ac to the first waypoint after the DME Arc I want to switch to LNAV (Which is allready armed on the runway), but as soon as I want to do that the aircraft turns 180 degrees and heads back to the previous waypoint which isn't on the legs page anymore. I found out that switching to LNAV right before a waypoint works fine, but when, say, flying halfway inbetween two waypoints it allways turns back to the previous one.

I also found the follwing about flying a DME ARC with a FMC.
This translated by Google in English.
Don't know if it can be done this way with the CS FMC.

How do you now fly a DME Arc ?
Eg : the  APP for Madeira uses a DME Arc.

Visit the FIX page on the FMC, and enter at the FIX position the name of the circle drive where the DME is based on.

On the RAD / DIS below enter "/ 10" if it is a 10 DME circle, or / 12 if it is 12 DME arc.

On your map will display a circle that you can fly by hand, also called poor man's DME arc.
It is NOT part of your flight plan, so follow your autopilot in LNAV NOT that circle

Do you want the autopilot fly this in LNAV mode then you need to add  points to your flight plan

Set the Navaid used as the basis for SPL circle and the circle begins at 10 DME distance on the 180 radial (due south of the VOR) and ends on the 090 radial (due east)

Add the following points to your flight plan:
SPL180/10 SPL180/10
SPL170/10 SPL170/10
SPL160/10 SPL160/10
etc t/m etc to
SPL090/10 SPL090/10

Possibly with height restrictions.
Press execute and the points are in the flight plan.

In real life one will often use the manual method using the RMI instruments or to circle the fix page.

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #236 - May 26th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Libretto

I will try the flight tommorrow using the information in your post of 1405Z today.

Good looking scenery. A lot better than FSX default.

Michael Cubine

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #237 - May 27th, 2011 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Here I found what my aircraft did.
Notice the final turn to soon.

Below a short fp from Tunis to Monastir ( 20 minutes )

First I checked the fp without any SID/STAR  ( looked ok to me )

Then I added the Rw + STAR  ( looked ok again )

After that the STAR  (   already it's starting to look not good )

And this is how the fp looks like when zooming out...( nothing done , just added the arrival rw and STAR !  The FMC made out of this short flight something with 4 pages of Legs )

But, when starting first with the STAR, then the arrival rw and then the SID + rw it looks already better and only a few double entries need to be deleted to get the following fp including the Go-Around holding pattern  ( the last was automatically added )

IP Logged

Nepomuk

Reply #238 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
One issue is that there are no "fly-over" waypoints, which are part of many SIDs and STAR. All waypoints are "fly-by". Especially at turns >120° the FMC cuts the corners. (Seen in your picture at WP CF07 and TUC329)
This is a top 5 issue for me to get more realism, and i hope they will address it in V4.5. It would be OK to be able to select specific wayponts in the FMC as "fly-over". I guess adjusting the navigraph-data would be too much work.

Regards
Nepo

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #239 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Libretto

The arc worked fine. The attached image shows the plane approaching the first the first waypoint in the arc. It then turned right, flew the arc, turned left and intercepted the the LOC and GS and made an autoland. I typed a detailed explanation several hours ago but it went into thin air
when I was trying to get the image under 200 KB and posted. If you have any questions, just post them.

Michael Cubine

DTMBarc.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top