Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19  Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233185 times)
Libretto

Re: FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Reply #240 - May 27th, 2011 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
DAL191 wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 2:03pm:
Libretto

The arc worked fine. The attached image shows the plane approaching the first the first waypoint in the arc. It then turned right, flew the arc, turned left and intercepted the the LOC and GS and made an autoland. I typed a detailed explanation several hours ago but it went into thin air
when I was trying to get the image under 200 KB and posted. If you have any questions, just post them.

Michael Cubine

Beautiful looking DME Arc Michael.
I am currently making one myself.

One question :
Because I 2 times made a new start with the arc the FMC adds to earlier used points, even when they are not needed anymore.
Eg : I start with MON01 at 0 degrees , but found out that it had to start more to the right ( 012 degrees )
When starting agin it show MON02 instead of MON1.

Is there a way I can delete the former points, so is tarts again with MON01 ?  

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #241 - May 28th, 2011 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Libretto wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 8:44pm:
DAL191 wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 2:03pm:
Libretto

The arc worked fine. The attached image shows the plane approaching the first the first waypoint in the arc. It then turned right, flew the arc, turned left and intercepted the the LOC and GS and made an autoland. I typed a detailed explanation several hours ago but it went into thin air
when I was trying to get the image under 200 KB and posted. If you have any questions, just post them.

Michael Cubine

Beautiful looking DME Arc Michael.
I am currently making one myself.

One question :
Because I 2 times made a new start with the arc the FMC adds to earlier used points, even when they are not needed anymore.
Eg : I start with MON01 at 0 degrees , but found out that it had to start more to the right ( 012 degrees )
When starting agin it show MON02 instead of MON1.

Is there a way I can delete the former points, so is tarts again with MON01 ?  

Librettto

I don't think there ia anyway to get rid of MON01 name and start again. Sometimes when I have been adding a waypoint for one reason or another and the first three were incorrect, the correct one would be named DHP04. MON01 and DHP01, DHP02, and DHP03 will have no effect on your or my route.

I started off with 010 degrees and decreased by 10 degress per waypoint. I think that at 13 miles or 20 miles which I used for the arc the decrease should be 5 degrees per waypoint for a smoother arc. At 10 degrees the plane was turning left, wings level, turning left, wings level as it went around the arc.

Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #242 - May 28th, 2011 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Michael,
Just made the flight from Tunis to Monastir ( just 20 minutes) with the Arc of 13nm programmed into the FMC.

It flew the Arc like in reality.

A small issue I encountered : when the aircraft made the turn from the last point of the Arc and came out of Rinos ( +- 2700 ft ) it was a  to much to the right of the Localizer.
I had to let it fly 60 degrees , while descending to 1900 ft, untill it captured the glidescope at 72 degrees.
If I had the aurcraft not descending manually it would have overflew the airport.

I remarked that you made your Arc at 20 nm.
Maybe a wider Arc will solve this.
Today I will try with a 15 nm Arc.

That last peace of the puzzle I need to solve too... Wink

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #243 - May 28th, 2011 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Libretto

Several items I would like to cover.

1. On the HSI you will notice a green circle and straight line. The circle is at 20 miles from the airport and the line represents a straight line thru DTMB at the runway headings for both 7 and 25. This line runs through the center of the airport and not the MON VOR. The purpose of this circle and line is as reference point in case something goes wrong on the approach and I need to do a 180 degree turn, head out 17-20 miles, do another 180 degree turn and try another appproach. I do this at all airports at which I am landing. It is just conicidence that both the arc and the circle are at 20 miles. This circle and line are entered on the FIX INFO page.

2. On the HSI you will notice the last waypoint in the arc is DTM02. This is enterted on the scrachpad as DTMB253/20 and then line selected to RINOS. RINOS does not disappear but a disco develops that you must remove. DTM02 is now part of the approach to 7. So this has exteneded the apprroach out to 20 miles and should give you plenty of time to capture the LOC and setup a stablised approach. On do this on any approach that has a sharp turn onto final in the 10-15 mile range.

Michael Cubine

DTMBarc_001.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

Libretto

Reply #244 - May 28th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the help Michael.

I will try with a wider arc ( 15nm ) as with 13nm I end up to much to the right of the airport.
Even with full flaps and a speed of 142 knots.

I guess in reality they fly this part by hand and I am having respect for all pilots who do not end up to the right of the centerline like me.... Grin  

This was my fp :

Addtional :

One more time I tried making the 13nm Arc.
On the CDU display I could see that after the final turn at 2700 ft the aircraft had to descent to 1900 ft in just 2 nm.

I choose to use V/S at -2500ft/m when it flew over Rinos and a HDG set to 55 degrees on the autopilot.
In that way it crossed the Localizer beam very quickly and immediately I had to push App.
Now it captured the glidescope and made a perfect landing.

It really is a lot of stressing in just 30 seconds.

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #245 - May 28th, 2011 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Libretto

That's great that everything worked from 13 miles out. A lot do in not much time.

Michael Cubine

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #246 - May 28th, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all this input on doing an approach using an Arc. I will now have to go do this short flight (Tunis to Monistir) and give it a go. Grin

Until I read all of this,  I had no idea that you could even do something like that. Shocked

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #247 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 8:34am
Print Post  
That's great work from Michael there.

But before some misconceptions take place (especially those with 'I hope they fix this in 4.5'), lets explain something.
First thing, those DME arc procedures suffer the same fate as e. g. the ones with a procedure turn in it. They all are based on some real world data format for FMC devices, called ARINC 424-19 protocol specification.
Now, our Navigraph based FMC data (which not only includes Captain Sim planes but all current addon ones, even the ones with the L and the D or the big P) shortens this detailed data format and cuts it down do "simple" descriptions of a waypoint.
This happens because the FMCs can't handle rw data but need a simpler format there. Again, all of them, not only Captain Sim.

Normally, every procedure at an airport is stored within the FMC database and if e. g. a DME Arc is included, they store the waypoint or fix which is at the center of this arc and they then attach 'draw arc at 13DME' to it, giving you infinite waypoints describing that arc, leading to high accuracy.
That's a thing a rw FMC can and will follow, it is also allowed to do so.
You can't manually enter an arc there, the procedure has to come from the FMC database.

Now, in the sim, we don't have that description 'draw an arc' available (for guidance), we only can describe waypoints, their location and their height, together with some speed restriction.
That's what you are seeing at every FMC plane in the sim (not only CS ones), those arcs and also procedure turns get reduced to some initial waypoints only, leading to this square-like appearance.
That's a simulator based factitiousness, so to speak.

In the real world, you wouldn't be allowed to use such data for any FMC guidance. You would be rendered "unable" to follow that approach if the FMC would be your only source of guidance there. Choose another approach then (if available) or, depending on the plane, use the basic VOR instruments to fly that arc. It's much fun to go with the needles only.
Also, Michael points that out correctly, those drawn arcs with the "Fix" feature are for situational awareness only.
Real guidance does not come from pixels on a CRT (and following them with the pilot's eye via HDG select), it comes from "raw" data in the FMC, so what we are doing with those manually entered waypoints is to create such data, within in the limits of FSX.
As I've pointed out, the real unit would have infinite "waypoints" there, ours only has few. So don't compare the approach with the waypoints on that arc with any rw operation, it's a (nice and clever) workaround only.

To prevent the FMC to see some waypoints as "fly by" only, most Boeing planes can only workaround by adding a manually entered waypoint close or even at the location of the current "fly by" one.
The Airbus people have an extra button to define every given waypoint as "flyover", the Boeing guys have to trick a bit since the manual stuff usually doesn't get cut to enable a nice curve.

So the trick is, as the other guys already pointed out, to add a manual waypoint there, forcing the FMC to really overfly it.
Again, this isn't a Captain Sim limitation but a Boeing one.
Every Boeing sim unit I know suffers from this more or less shortened route when some predefined waypoints are close to each other. This may be another downside of the current sim data format since rw procedure data on a real FMC won't be "shortened" for the sake of nice curves since you would lose (lateral) accuracy then.

Edited:
So in short, the CS FMC acts correctly within the sim limits.
DME Arcs and procedure turns are a big mess on all current FMC planes in FSX, at all devs. The cause is the data format used.
To workaround, use the clever and nice approach from Michael. It can be used at any FMC driven plane which allows waypoints in the waypointt/bearing/distance format.
"Overfly" can only be forced by adding a manual waypoint at Boeing FMC planes.
There can't and won't be a fix in 4.5 for any of these points.

And, not only praise Michael but also recognize that the FMC manuals of the CS planes describe all methods and formats of adding waypoints too. Always worth a look.  Smiley
For the 757, this would be cs757_manual5.pdf.

And additionally, you won't come across this lack of realistic data if you just look at the procedures a sim FMC draws. Those edged lines may therefore look normal to you, unless somebody shows you some charts with real DME arcs or procedure turns.
You may google those phrases (DME Arc + Procedure Turn) to catch a view (on rw data) and you may also follow Michael's tip to run some "real" pdf charts besides your sim, to catch a glimpse on how it is supposed to be.
And please don't think that those two things aren't commonly used. They are! You may just have formed up a bad habit to believe that the edged sim display is the real thing, that's all.  Wink

IP Logged

dougal

Reply #248 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 11:00am
Print Post  
David Zill wrote on Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:23am:
That is what I thought. I am off to sleep now, but tomorrow morning I am going to post the IGS 13A procedure on here. This will contain all waypoints, there altitudes and approximate speeds the aircraft should be at. About half of these waypoints are VOR or NDB navaids. I will provide the identifier codes. For those waypoints not an FSX navagation aid, I will provide the coordinate for manual waypoint entry. This will plot a course to runway 13, however when u intercept the localizer u will be on auto approach anyways. In real life even in perfect weather the approach much be flown on autopilot, until you intercept the Middle marker.

Anyone know if this ever happend?

Windows7 x64 & FSX&&B707&&B727-100 & 200 Pro Pack&&B737-200&&B757-200 & 300 Pro Pack&&B767-300 Base Pack&&C-130 Herc&&F-104 Starfighter&&B-52 BUFF&&B777-200

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #249 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
You mean that approach description? I don't know, but you can set up your own.

Just use the charts here. http://hk.vatsea.net/charts.php?show=charts.php
Those are no rw charts but they'll give you all the information you need to set up the waypoints by entering them manually.

(that's only a partial view on the chart for IGS13, download it for full details, it's free)

Starting the approach from the hold at CH (Cheung Chau VOR) which is available in the sim and the FMC.
On a radial of 270 until 7DME, you would enter that waypoint as CH070/7, setting you up abeam SL (Sha Lo Wan NDB). For that abeam point, you can also use the "FIX" page of the FMC to actually calculate the exact location.
Now, depending on your speed which itself is depending on your plane (category), turn towards that NDB and prepare to intercept the Localizer while leaving the NDB at a heading of 045. The Localizer course is 088.
The Localizer will lead the (lateral) way to the famous Checker Board (which you will pass, not overfly), therefore leading to a right turn (no FMC guidance there, just plain visual) to rw13.
When you can see the Checker Board but no rw, your visuals aren't suitable for continuing the approach.

Use the radial 315 from TH (Tathong VOR) for some rough guidance when looking for the centerline of that runway. This will also define your go-around way to fly, so setting it up is a good idea.
While using the FMC or the LOC to guide you, the vertical planning is fully up to you, watch the diagram on the chart and mind the minimums.

When setting up the STAR for that airport/approach you can also use those charts. They all lead the way to the mentioned holding at CH, using some normal intersection names which should be present in the FMC database, so setting them up is easy.
If not, the coordinates are also given on that chart, so you can enter them, just in case.

Of course, as tough sim pilots as we are, we kick out all that sissy tech and take the 707 to get into the old Kai Tak.
If you ever wondered what "workload" may describe, set up some not so nice weather (at least no smooth air) and fly the hold, configure your plane and follow the precise track to get safely to that Checker Board, descending, slowing down, bringing the flaps and gear down and also running the checklists while watching your systems.

IP Logged

Nepomuk

Reply #250 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
CoolP,
i agree with most you wrote about DME Arcs and procedure turns.
As well i know that there is no possibility in a real Boeing FMC to change a waypoint to "fly-over".
In SIDs and STARs there are "fly-over" waypoints. Other developers got the fly-over information in their navigraph nav-data and the airplane will follow the procedures according to the charts.
The CS navdata got no fly-over flag. The best way would be to add this information to the data. Navigraph is able to provide this flag.

Quote:
That's a simulator based factitiousness, so to speak.

In the real world, you wouldn't be allowed to use such data for any FMC guidance. You would be rendered "unable" to follow that approach if the FMC would be your only source of guidance there. Choose another approach then (if available) or, depending on the plane, use the basic VOR instruments to fly that arc. It's much fun to go with the needles only.

Acoording to Mike Rays "Unofficial Boeing 757/767 Simulator and Checkride Manual" it is common to "build" an DME ARC using waypoints every 20-40 degees (depending on distance to the VOR):

Quote:
"If you are cleared for an ARC approach that is not in the CDU database memory you will have to construct it, use the green circle, or fly it without the benefit of the glass.

Of course you always need the raw data displayed, but its OK to fly it as a polygon using LNAV.

Regards
Nepo

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #251 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Now the rw guys may correct me there but I think that Mike Ray describes a sim only procedure there, using the wrong self-build LNAV waypoints for arcs.
The use of raw data is true, but the real world fellows in a 757 or 767 would either have a FMC database to describe that arc in full detail or they are unable to use FMC guidance there, at that procedure, using a DME arc.
Of course, this statement may well depend on the actual tolerance allowed for that special procedure, in that country, at that airport. If you're allowed to deviate more, the edged "arc description" may well be ok for this.

Needs some Lourification I think.  Cheesy

Mike Ray may describe the stuff for the same reason why e. g. Michael does. It's the only way to "cheat" your sim FMC to fly close to an arc.
A real FMC would have this for example.
Quote:
Radius to fix legs — Implemented the ARINC 424 leg type that provided a fixed radius ground path (similar to a DME arc but without the required navaid).

Since no current sim FMC can understand such descriptions, the 'describe an arc with lots of waypoints' method is indeed common.
You can spot the advantage of the FMC based approach too, it doesn't actually need an installed navaid on the ground while still being able to precisely track the way as given in the approach description.

Regarding the shortening of routes, I've seen other dev's FMCs doing this too, more or less severe, so even if they are using an "overfly flag" (which is a good point by the way), they seem to struggle from some logical problems there.
Now I can't measure the actual "rounding capability" at my addons, but, so far, they all need some precaution from the user's side to avoid funny looking approaches when not using easy "straight in" all the time.

IP Logged

wims

Reply #252 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Nepomuk wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:20pm:

Acoording to Mike Rays "Unofficial Boeing 757/767 Simulator and Checkride Manual" it is common to "build" an DME ARC using waypoints every 20-40 degees (depending on distance to the VOR):

I spoke to a friend of mine about DME Arcs the other day and he told me that they were actually "never" flown in real life, and when they flew them in the simulator the procedure was always in the flight plan database in the FMC. They never actually programmed arcs using PBD waypoints. He doesnt fly the 757/767 tho, he flies the 747 for KLM

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #253 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Here is an interesting situation that happened about a year ago. In February and March 2010 I set up flights between various Florida airports that were ready to takeoff and saved the flights prior to takeoff. When the flights were loaded at a later date they were set to go. Verify position in the FMC thru the CDU, press the thrust button, rotate, and away you go. Weather, STARS, route, SIDS, season, time of day, payload, amout of fuel were already in the saved flight. Several months later, I started to update the AIRAC cycles monthly. So waypoints especially in SIDS and STARS were starting to disappear from the procedures but this made no difference in LNAV or flying to waypoints which no longer exsisted. This led to the conclussion that LNAV was not navigating from name to name but from coordinate to coordinate.The name of a waypoint was shorthand for the coordinate. If I wanted to I could make a flightplan that consisted of nothing but coordinates. Am I thinking correctly or is this just all screwed up?

Thank you
Michael Cubine

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #254 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I spoke to a friend of mine about DME Arcs the other day and he told me that they were actually "never" flown in real life, and when they flew them in the simulator the procedure was always in the flight plan database in the FMC.

This will always depend on the locations they visit there. Since the 747 will do some major hub routes, the use of DME arcs will indeed be limited.
Radar vectors and RNAV stuff may form the main procedures there.
TNCM could offer an arc though.

If you ask a 727 Captain cruising around South America, the outcome may be different and the whole VOR stuff therefore more common.
Africa also makes use of those arcs at almost every spot I flew so far. Doing the ILS 04L at DFFD as we speak. With the NURE1P arrival, you will see an "waypoint arc" there, working around the sim limitations, while the "real" chart shows an arc in the very meaning of it.

I think your assumption could well be true, Michael. My beloved INS works like this all the time, coordinates only.
Quote:
This led to the conclussion that LNAV was not navigating from name to name but from coordinate to coordinate.

This also is a logical and fail save procedure since coordinates are unique, names with limited characters are not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top