Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 ENGINE START SEQUENCE (Read 10948 times)
loadman

ENGINE START SEQUENCE
Nov 21st, 2005 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
For those of you who are still having difficulty starting the C130 engines, try this method. It works for me every time,it may not be the exact method used in real life but it works in flight simulation.

Begin with your 130 ACE editor,enter your fuel and cargo weights etc and click on save and your simulator will begin. You should be in the Cold and Dark situation. (If you want to begin with the default Cessna in position with all generators and batteries off that's OK too.)

Open the upper panel and make sure the Ground Power switch is in the OFF position. Click  battery switch to ON, (that's the switch with the green stripe on it). Open the guarded switch ( essential DC bus switch is under there) and click switch to the right. The four small meters to the left of the battery switch will show some readings. There is a black switch to the right of the battery switch which says. ESS DC BUS, MAIN DC BUS and BATT. Place this switch to MAIN DC BUS position.

Now start the GTC.  Click on DOOR TO OPEN position, the orange light will come on. Now GTC switch to start position. When you are happy the GTC has fired up put the GTC Bleed Air switch to OPEN.
Now,place ATM switch to start position (there is no noise from the ATM when this happens.)
Look down the panel and you will see the engine generator panels, and to the right of these is the ATM generator switch (yellow stripe on the switch). Now click on this switch- first to RESET and then to FIELD TRIP. Now go to the right of the ATM gen switch and there is a switch which says VOLTAGE and FREQUENCY SELECTOR. Click onto the ATM position. The gauge above this switch will show voltage readings.
You now have the power you need to begin the engine start sequence.

Open up the two wing Isolation switches to NORMAL (unguard them first).

Now go to number 3 engine position and click Bleed Air to OPEN position, go down to the generator selector switch (right below the bleed air switch) and select number 3 Engine Generator Switch to the 12 o'clock position the light MUST BE ON RED.

Now open up the Throttle Quadrant and make sure all the Engine Condition levers are in the full forward position, (the AIR START position),ALL OF THEM!

Now open up the lower engineers panel and click and hold on number 3 engine starter switch, the  RED light will come on, as will a small light right above the start button. The ENGINE GAUGE PANEL will automatically appear. If you have followed the sequnce correctly number 3 engine will spool up very rapidly, now release the start switch , make sure the gauge shows temperature and torque etc and go back to the upper engineers panel.

Now you need to bring the number 3 engine generator online. Go to the number 3 gen switch and first go to RESET and then to FIELD TRIP position (which is the 12 o'clock position), the light will go out, and the generator gauge will show a voltage reading.  Now go to the right to the switch which says VOLTAGE AND FREQUENCY and place the switch from ATM to number 3 ENG position, this will switch the power source from the ATM to number 3 generator ,you will still have a voltage reading on the gauge.

Go through this same sequence for the other 3 engines, first select bleed air to the engine and then the generator switch to the 12 o'clock position and then the engine starter switch.  (There is no need to select any position in the VOLTAGE AND FREQUENCY panel, number 3 engine is providing all power).
(When you sart number 2 engine and put the engine generator to the reset and then the field trip position,it will not show any voltage reading on the gauge, this is normal. It will come online when the ATM is switched off and all engines are running.)

When all engines are fired up and running, switch OFF the ATM.  Select GTC BLEED AIR to the CLOSED position.  GTC switch to the OFF position.  GTC door to the CLOSE position. You can leave all the engine bleed air switched in  the open position ,including the wing isolation valves.

Leave the BATTERY switch (the one with the green stripe) in the ON position.  Now all the engine generators are online and showing voltage readings on all engine generator gauges.  GTC and ATM are both OFF. There should be no red lights showing on the engine generators.

Now set the engine OIL COOLER FLAPS to the Automatic position (on the engineers lower panel.)

You can now carry out the fuel panel check sequence as per the manual.

Have a good flight.

John.

IP Logged

CessnaN1315efw

Re: ENGINE START SEQUENCE
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
imnotgetting any reading on my engine guages when i click the start button but the engines do start very wierd....and right after teh engine catches does teh condition lever have to be immeaditly switched to the run position or can it wait until teh engine stabilizes. because i dont ahve 4 levers on my flight yoke to move each one to run after teh enigne catches and i cant takemy finger of my mouse to move it cause its on the starter button!

IP Logged

hm

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Loadman,

Thank you for your start procedure. I have tried to follow the start sequence, but I have a weird problem: I can follow the procedure just to "Open up the two wing isolation switches ..., I can unguard them but they does not change position. When I click the button, the cursor changes to a fist, and that's all. The same is true for the bleed air valve switches. Is there in some way a trick I does not know  Embarrassed ?

Regards,

Hugo

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Cessna.

You do not need to touch the throttles at all. Do not confuse the throttle levers with the engine condition levers!!!!!

If you click on the throttle icon it will show the throttle quadrant. The condition levers are the ones on the right side of the quadrant, they are usually forward any way but make sure they are forward by using the mouse. If you look at the manual on page 31 it will show you the throttle quadrant, the condition levers are numbered 5.6.7.8 push those forward using the mouse.

I repeat, you do not have to touch the throttle levers until you are ready to fly.
John.

IP Logged

CessnaN1315efw

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
yeha im sorry. i meant condition levers i know what tehy do but you cant push tehm foward with teh mouse and have your mosue holding the starter at teh same time hence an unrealistic hot start

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Hugo.

Are you sure the bleed air switches are not moving at all? They only move a little way but you should be able to see the movement. Make sure they are pointing downwards to the OPEN position. Have you switched on the GTC Bleed Air switch to open? Perhaps the engine bleed air switches do not operate until the GTC switches are selected and there is sufficient pressure build up.
Have you tried to start the engines at all even though the bleed air switches do not seem to operate? If the engines start OK they must be in the open position.
I don't know what else to tell you, I have no real idea why they don't open when the mouse pointer turns to a fist.  Do the other switches operate when you use the mouse? Does the Battery switch operate OK? If they do operate OK then the bleed air switches should open.  Make sure the mouse hand is just below the bleed air switches, if the hand is level or just above the switch it will not work. I repeat ,make sure the mouse hand is just below the switch and then click it.

John.

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Cessna.

Before you attempt to start the engines, make sure all the condition levers are fully forward by using the mouse. Like I said before , the levers are normally in the fully forward position when you click on the throttle quadrant icon and the quadrant appears on the screen, just make sure they are fully forward.  Once they are fully forward you do not need to touch them again, even when starting the engines as they are in the correct position. Do not attempt to push the lever forward when you are clicking on the start switch as they should already be in the correct position.

John.

IP Logged

CessnaN1315efw

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
ok loadman i gotcha thanks for your help im jsut used to flying king airs and ATR's and other turbo props where u hit the starter and wait for a certain engine value and then u advance conditionlevers when then engine is ready i guess its different on teh C130 i gotcha thanks for your help

IP Logged

mendione

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Loadman:

You hit the nail. Your inputs to this forum is unvalueable. Many thanks for your help. I use it and works liker a swiss clock

Mendione

IP Logged

hm

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Hi Loadman,

Thank you for the help, but still I don't know how to go further. I started with the "Cold and Dark" situation, delivered with the herc and executed the procedure, but still no success. I made a screenshot (1600x1200), it's here : http://users.telenet.be/desi-iii/OH.jpg . In any case, all switches where the cursor changes to a fist do not work.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

IP Logged

Chamoeq

Venezuela

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Loadman..... I“m very pleasure to know that somebody is worried about us....

I do that you say exactly until the number 3 start.... the problem that i have is when I push the number 3 start button... nothing happens.....

nothing...... the prop is not turn.... the gauges dont show any movement.... nothing happens.....

well...i have some problems..for example...when i use the 130 ACE.. and choose the fuel, payload , etc.. and then make a save ... i receive a message that says..   Aircraft configurator etc...  no have any .FLT file associated ...  and the MSFS dont start automatically....

I have to start from the cessna....  runoff the engine... the avionics off.... alternator and battery off.... all the switchs off....  and then change the aircraft.... and choose the C-130...     then your start sequence..( thank you very much )  and when I start the N3 engine... nothing happens.....  all the items before that are right... but i dont see any signal that i have starting an engine....

Thank you for your answer..

Chamoeq&&Fly in Venezuela !!&&&&

IP Logged

mendione

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Dear Lodman:

If you want to, I can assist you with instructions and orientation with Mr. Chamoeq. Again Loadman, thank you soooooo much for your incredibl;e instructions. They are perfect!!!.

Chamoeq:

You know what you can do? you can write me down to mendione@hotmail.com and, one last question, if you are located in Caracas, you can email me your phone number and I will call ya. In the meantime, whatta I do is the following:

Step one:

I DO NOT use the ACE, exept for controlling the amount of payload and fuel. I launch the FS only and only from it's own icon.

Step two:

I start my FS with the C172 (default), and I play with it as I wish. Meaning turning of everything on the C172. Once I am pleased, then I go to...

Step three:

I switch aircraft from the C172 (remeber that I had it in step two) to the CS C130 (at least for me, it doesn't matter which model I pick up).

Step four:

I follow, the incredible and great sequence list that Mr. Loadman made up for all of CS C130 community.

One important step that maybe was not included in Mr. Loadman's instructions, which are two (02) things, Please excuse me here that I am gonna use capital letters but the reason is that want to bold, emphasized, highlight the following:

MAKE SURE THAT YOU PRESS THE FAMOUS KEY SEQUENCE CTRL+SHIFT+F4  AND CTRL+F4. Ok, CTRL+SHIFT+F4 is use by FS2004 as fuel delivery (inverse of fuel cutoff) and CTRL+F4 is USE by FS2004 to control the propeller pitch, CTRL+F4 means high pitch or propeller forward.

Hope that this is useful for you and all the CS C130 community.

Thank you for taking your time reading it, thank you

Mendione

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Hogo.

Looking at your screen shot it seems that you have the GTC and the ATM started OK, the gauges are showing voltage and the GTC bleed air switch is on OK, the battery switch and dc bus switches are in their correct positions.  I do not understand why you cannot switch on the wing isolation and the engine bleed switches.  If the mouse works on the GTC and ATM switches it should also work on the rest. I will try to duplicate your problem on my computer by trying different procedures and see if I can find the answer.  Will get back to you soon.
John.

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Chamoeq.

If you have followed my sequence the engines should start.  Try the sequence again and please make sure the number 3 engine generator is selected ,THE RED LIGHT MUST BE ON, and the number 3 bleed air switch is in the down position. Make sure  ATM is selected on the VOLTAGE and FREQUENCY and you have voltage showing on the gauges right above the voltage and frequency panel.  You must also have the GTC bleed air switched on too. Check on the engine condition levers on the throttle panel, make sure they are ALL FULLY FORWARD TO THE AIR START POSITION. Go through the procedure once more.  It does not make any difference whether you start from ACE or from the default CESSNA.  I know that some people have had problems with the ACE but the C130 should still start using the default CESSNA.

Let me know what happens.

John.

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Mendione.

Thankyou for your input, I am sure your additional instructions will help as well.
John.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top