Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 ENGINE START SEQUENCE (Read 10949 times)
loadman

Re: ENGINE START SEQUENCE
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Chamoeq.

I have gone through the start up sequence several times and it works OK for me.  There is one thing which I should have made a little more clear to you.  When you are ready to start number 3 engine you must click on the number 3 start button and HOLD IT DOWN FOR AT LEAST 6 SECONDS for the engines to start.  If you just ckick on the start button then nothing will happen. You MUST click and HOLD DOWN the button for at least 6 SECONDS.
Try this and see what happens.
John.

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hugo.

I have checked the screen shot you sent and every thing still looks OK.  I have tried to create your problem on my flt simulator but every thing is OK.  I have tried different positions for the bleed air switches as well as the generators but every thing appears OK. I still do not understand why you cannot click on the bleed air when your GTC and the ATM and the power switches are working perfectly. Have you changed the aircraft config file at all? Have you uninstalled it and then reinstalled it? If you have not, then it could be a problem with your C130 programme. The only people who could help there are the Capt Sim team. Send them an E Mail and tell them the mouse only works on certain switches, they should be able to give an answer.Perhaps they may read about this item here and reply.

I will continue to look for the problem.

John.

IP Logged

hm

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Hi Loadman,

I downloaded version 1.1  Smiley (demand for an update via the TCE), and guess what, the  wing isolation valves are now by default on the normal position, but again, I can't activate the bleed air valves, has it something to do with hydraulic pressure ?

As far as I experienced already: blurring textures is solved, sound is solved

Regards,

Hugo

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Hugo.

Check out the manual (Part 1 Aircraft) page 76.  Start the GTC and the ATM,put ATM generator online and open GTC bleed air switch ,then check out the bleed air circuit breakers on the co pilot side circuit breaker panel. Make sure the circuit breakers are closed. If they are open this is your problem. If the cicuit breaker is open then there is no power to the switch.

John.

IP Logged

AKC130FltEng

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
The ATM does not need to be online to start the engines period...the ATM only power the Ess AC Bus, which doesn't do anything for you except power some of your guages...if you put the two inverters in the (|,|) position you will have enough power for the ADI's and the Engine instruments...the Tach generator doesn't even need power to run...its taken off the engine itself...so you should still see the start-up.

This is for everyone, the standard postion for the two inverters is (-,|).  Co-Pilots inverter switch set horiztonally which means that the bus draws its power from the ESS AC bus, the AC Inst. Fuel Contr. Bus in the vertical position grabs power off the ESS DC Bus.  But again it really has no bearing over Engine startup...you don't even really need the gauges.

Its a good rule of thumb also to hold the starter button down until you get the indicated RPM rise, or you can simply just listen to the engine startup in the simulator.  You'll hear when the Prop starts turning...you can then release the button.

I haven't even heard of circuit breaker protection in the CS C-130...but if you are looking for any breakers they are locate don the Co-Pilots side, the most forward panel at the very top...if you are trying to describe somethin, give a accurate location please.

Unless the issue has been corrected, the engine generators should be left in the OFF position so you can quickly select RESET then place them on.  Having the Generator Select Switch in the ON position does nothin for you, just shows another light.  It use to be policy the generator be off for engine start-up, atleast in Maintenance.  Now you start the Engines with all Generators on....don't ask me why.....somethin to do with a MOD they were going to add to the aircraft...that was never applied.

Oh yeah, if you want power to the AC Inst Fuel Control Inverter (the right one) in the (-,|) configuration, you need to have the Bus Tie switch - TIED. 

If anyone needs 1-on-1 help with Engine Startup Procedures or anything else, you can get ahold of me at thibodb@alaska.com  I'll get back with you ASAP, just please keep in mind I work during the day and am unable to read that email on a gov't computer.

Hope this post was informitive enough...just trying to dis-spell any rumors of what is actually required to startup the herk in the actual aircraft, and in the sim.

Brian Thibodeaux
T56/T700 Propulsion Journeyman
C-130E/H2 Flt Eng

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Brian Thibodeaux.

Thank you for your very technical input,I am sure that all of us who are not Flt Engineers or Flt Mechanics appreciate your expertise on the C130. My intentions in submitting what works for me was for the benefit of those whose mother tongue is not English and was not in any way a technical treatise on real life aviation.
As for your comment on the location of the circuit breaker panel, I did point out that it was available on page 76 of the Manual part 1- Aircraft .

In future I will leave all the technical stuff to you real life Flight Engineers .

Loadman.

IP Logged

Chamoeq

Venezuela

Reply #21 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Loadman and Mendione,  At least.........my C-130 is running  correctly...... !!!!

Loadman, your checklist is very useful to all the c-130 simmers....
and the input from Mendione was the last thing that i need......
excuse my English....
Thank you very much to you and ......

I will Enjoy my starting sequence............

Chamoeq&&Fly in Venezuela !!&&&&

IP Logged

hm

Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Loadman,

Thanks for the help. I have tracked the error: for some weird reason the switch icon on the 2D panel doesn't change. If I click the bleed air valve switch on the 2D panel, nothing seems to happen, however, in the VC, the switch is activated! Next, if I do the procedure in the VC, all works fine, and the switches on the 2D panels are reflecting exactly the status of the switches in the VC.

Regards,

Hugo

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #23 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Chamoeq and Hugo.

Pleased that I could help, I hope you have many hours of good flying in the CS C130.

Loadman. Smiley

IP Logged

monkshood

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Hi Loadman.

I have the 1.1 version. I follow the start sequence just as you discribe but I get a very strange start. I get nothing for a few seconds when I push the start button, then the engine leaps into life as if I had lit the blue touch paper? Very odd.

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #25 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Monkshood.

This sudden starting of the engines is "normal" for this simulated aircraft,  in real life the Alison engines take a lot longer to spool up and reach operating speeds . This fast start up in simulation has been noted by many real life pilots and flight engineers, you will just have to accept that it is part and parcel of the CS C130.
Hope the start sequence worked for you. Like I said before, the sequence works for me even though it would not probably work in real start up situations.  What I have noticed in the 1.1 version is that I no longer need to select each engine generator with the "red light on", I select bleed air to an engine, press the start button for 5 or 6 seconds and the engine starts OK and then I bring the selected engine generator online by selecting reset and then putting the engine generator switch into the 12 o'clock position.  I can also start number 3 engine first without the ATM being switched on, by using the GTC bleed air supply only to number 3 engine, pressing the start button for 5 or 6 seconds and then select number 3 engine generator.(I still have to select the battery switches etc before attempting the start) After number 3 engine is up and running I can then start the ATM and use the ATM generator for whatever purpose I need.I could not do this in the original version.
It seems like different computer systems allow different operations in this simulated aircraft, one guy cannot switch on his bleed air switches in 2D mode but can switch them on in Virtual cockpit mode, other people cannot operate various parts of the auto pilot, yet I have had no problems with any of them and my system is not top end but just a standard run of the mill computer. 

Hope you are enjoying this fine aircraft.

Loadman.

IP Logged

seehunt

Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I've noticed several instances where it's stated the you put the Condition lever in the "air start" position to start the engines.  that's not right, you put them in the "run" position to start engines on the ground. Air start is for just that, starting them in the air, which does not use the starter button and positions the prop to turn from the air flow.

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #27 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Seehunt.

In the real C130 that would be the case, however in the CS C130 it doesn't seem to make much difference if the condition levers are in the "run" position or the "air" position, the engine still fires up. When I click on the throttle quadrant all the condition levers are in the fully forward "air" position by default so I don't touch them again until shutting down the engines. I am not looking for an exact replication of the C130 start up procedure,I am happy that I can start the engines using an approximation of the procedure and fly this great airplane to the best of my ability. The CS C130 is after all, a simulation of the real thing.
Happy flying.
Loadman.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top