Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Issues....am I the only one? (Read 14060 times)
Howell

Issues....am I the only one?
Apr 22nd, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post  

I tried not to complain, but I am getting to the point where this is getting frustrating.  I have not been able to fly this plane since I purchased this plane prior to 1.0 release.  Issues I am having are:

1- start up procedure.  I assumed that this set up should be like any other 737, but I am having a hard time even starting the engines.  APU is on, bleeds are on and packs off, and hyd are on, but still the engines won't start.

2 - Some of the panels I don't understand that are above the throttle and there is no manual that explains the purpose of them. 

3 - The nav dials sometimes turns and sometimes they don't.  I start the sim with the usual Cessna and shut everything off but the Avionics.

4 - For what ever the reason, APU will shut off and I can not get it to restart......very frustrating.

I am assuming the the 3rd manual that Captain Sim hasn't come out yet will answer most questions. 

One more question, when setting up NAV or VOR, what is the standard distance between VOR's?

Not mad at Captain Sim, I understand these things take time to fix, just checking to see if these are known issues or I am dumb.....  Tongue

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Issues....am I the only one?
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Quote:
1- start up procedure.  I assumed that this set up should be like any other 737, but I am having a hard time even starting the engines.  APU is on, bleeds are on and packs off, and hyd are on, but still the engines won't start.
How I start the engines (right OR wrong, this works for me):

Engine Start
Battery Switch - ON
Fuel Pump Switches - ON
APU Switch - Start (switch flicks back to RUN)
APU Generator Switches - ON (once the APU GEN OFF BUS light comes ON)
Yaw Damper Switch - ON
DC Meter Selector - TR1 or TR2 or TR3
AC Meter Selector - APU General
APU Bleed Air Switch - ON
Engine Bleed Air Switches - ON
Left Engine Start Switch - GRD
Left Mixture Control Switch - UP/START
Right Engine Start Switch - GRD
Right Mixture Control Switch - UP/START
Left and Right Engine Generator Switches - ON
AC Meter Selector - GEN 1 or GEN 2
APU Switch - OFF
APU Bleed Air Switch - OFF
Left and Right Air Conditioning Pack Switches - ON
Gasper Fan Switch - ON

Do that and you should be able to start the engines.
This guide is for if you just want to get straight into it and get the engines started and go flying!
If I am not going to start the engines straight away while at the Gate/Ramp, I will use External Power [EP] and Bleed Air [BA].

Quote:
2 - Some of the panels I don't understand that are above the throttle and there is no manual that explains the purpose of them.
You'll have to wait for Manual III - Normal Procedures to get a lot of that.

Quote:
3 - The nav dials sometimes turns and sometimes they don't.  I start the sim with the usual Cessna and shut everything off but the Avionics.
I don't quite understand what you mean.

Quote:
4 - For what ever the reason, APU will shut off and I can not get it to restart......very frustrating.
I haven't had this problem that I know of. I'll test it to see if I have it happen.

Quote:
I am assuming the the 3rd manual that Captain Sim hasn't come out yet will answer most questions.
Me too. So I hope it comes out soon.

Quote:
One more question, when setting up NAV or VOR, what is the standard distance between VOR's?
FSX doesn't mimic real world ranges with NDB's and VOR's. The VOR range is a maximum of 200nm. NDB range varies a bit and I'm not exactly sure on those ranges (I should find out). I only use he NDB's near the the destination airport as a guide to an approach, not for long distance navigation because I can't seem receive them when I think I should be able to.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
4 - For what ever the reason, APU will shut off and I can not get it to restart......very frustrating

I have had the exact same problem with 0.8, 0.9, and 1.0.  Clean installs between each, no joy.

If I fire up the APU, skip everything else, and start the engines, all is usually well, though engine start just seems hit or miss to me...maybe it is procedural, but this problem is not as far as I can tell.  After about 5 minutes of the APU running, something goes awry and I basically have to reload the flight.

All of the gauges show the APU as running and show an electrical load on it.  Battery meters still show that the battery is working.  Stand-by power meters still show that stand-by power is working.  The bleed air gauge will still show that the APU is providing air.  And, the aircraft still appears to have electrical power; only the engine generator lights are on, not the bus lights.

The only visible thing I have noticed is that the HSI will stop working and pop out all of its error flags.  At this point, there is no way to start the engines.

Shutting down the APU in an attempt to restart it will result in everything shutting down.  The battery will no longer work.  Attempting to use ground power will not work.  The APU will not restart.  Etc. etc. etc.

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Well, the good news is that ground power and ground air seem to work fine.  I uninstalled completely again and made sure to delete the saved flights (I had forgotten this the last couple of times).  Still no go with the APU; it just quits working after so many minutes.

I restarted FSX and tried again with ground power and air, took my time pre-flighting, and did not have any issues.

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Ive not had much issues with the apu, doing an air start of it at FL100ish by accident and then shutting it off, i waited for it to fully start.

Are you using the overhead panel or vc to restart it ??

&&

IP Logged

ayster

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I've noticed a little problem, had it since 0.3 or 4 which ever was the first number! If you do your overhead flows, set the electrical stuff up fire up the APU and switch to APU GEN, after a while the panel reverts to the initial settings, ie, gens off, packs off bleed air off, yaw damper off etc, doesn't do it if you start the engines and run the elctricity of GEN1 and 2 though. I think it did it on ext power too, but can't remember as it was a while ago that I used ext power and just sat at the gate!

Cheers, Ayster

IP Logged

ayster

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Oh, and for enigne starts its exactly the same as any other 737, but you need to have both engine bleeds on as well or it doesn't work! That bug was reported during the experimental stage but I guess they didn't get to fix it for some reason. (assuming its a bug or maybe the originals needed it on, not 100% sure on that!)

Cheers, Ayster

IP Logged

NaMcO
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
It's not a bug, that's the way this 737 operates.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Yes, Nuno is right. According to the manual and the schematics, the only way to get APU air to the engines is through the bleed valves. That system detail is correct on the CS and different when flying 737NGs, which have an extra air path for the starter.

I've got that wrong first.  EmbarrassedSee the NG here. From http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/boeing/B737/systems/0011/.

IP Logged

ayster

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Ah, OK, never knew that. Smiley

Cheers, Ayster

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 2:53am
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure I was wrong before.  I think the APU is working fine.  It may be the battery...which doesn't make sense since the APU should be providing power.

Anyway, when I flip on the battery and switch the DC meters to battery, the DC Amps meter has a positive indication.  When I start the APU and connect the APU generator, the battery DC Amps meter goes negative.

If I tune a VOR and leave the aircraft in that configuration for five or so minutes, I can observe the HSI shut off and that's it.  Everything else will appear to work normally.  All DC and AC meters will show power flowing for battery, stand by, and the APU.  The bleed air gauge will show pressure from the APU.  Everything looks fine (except for the HSI) until you attempt to start an engine and nothing happens.

I verified that the 727 is, as I would expect it to be, the opposite.  When you turn on the battery switch and set the DC meters to battery, the DC Amps meter shows a negative indication.  After starting the APU, closing the APU field and generator breakers, and closing the bus tie breakers, the DC Amps meter goes positive.

I also verified that I was wrong about ground power and air.  The DC Amps will show positive for battery, it will go negative after connecting ground power.  Wait a few minutes, and that's it.  I must have performed the pre-flight quickly when I thought ground power worked.

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2012 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
So, now that CaptainSim has released the normal procedures, I am immediately seeing discrepancies.

Starting from cold & dark (* = OK, X = discrepancy from checklist)

* BATTERY switch - Guard closed
* GALLEY POWER switch - ON
* STANDBY POWER switch - Guard closed
X STANDBY PWR OFF light IS ON
* BUS TRANSFER switch - Guard closed
X TRANSFER BUS OFF light IS ON
X BUS OFF light IS ON

These lights extinguish once the APU starts, but clearly something is not right.  Even following the checklist, I still run into the same issue with the electrical system flaking out after a few minutes.

IP Logged

marvic

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2012 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
slakr007 wrote on May 6th, 2012 at 3:27pm:
So, now that CaptainSim has released the normal procedures, I am immediately seeing discrepancies.

Starting from cold & dark (* = OK, X = discrepancy from checklist)

* BATTERY switch - Guard closed
* GALLEY POWER switch - ON
* STANDBY POWER switch - Guard closed
X STANDBY PWR OFF light IS ON
* BUS TRANSFER switch - Guard closed
X TRANSFER BUS OFF light IS ON
X BUS OFF light IS ON

These lights extinguish once the APU starts, but clearly something is not right.  Even following the checklist, I still run into the same issue with the electrical system flaking out after a few minutes.

Hmmm. Did you read this? There is a poll.
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1335283313

Cheers, Mark Win7 64bit, i5 2500K 4.2Ghz, Gigabit Z68X-UD4-BE, GSkill 12800 DDR3 8gig ram, GTX960,WD 2t, 250gb SSD, P3Dv3, GSX, REX E. EZDok, Accu-Feel, ORBX,Track IR5, Saitek PRO; Yoke, pedals, Xtra throttles & headset

IP Logged

slakr007

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Ah, thanks.  I did not read that one.  "737 locks up" did not seem applicable.

IP Logged

marvic

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
slakr007 wrote on May 6th, 2012 at 5:40pm:
Ah, thanks.  I did not read that one.  "737 locks up" did not seem applicable.

Yep, does not seem to be the heading to go with the problem.

Cheers, Mark Win7 64bit, i5 2500K 4.2Ghz, Gigabit Z68X-UD4-BE, GSkill 12800 DDR3 8gig ram, GTX960,WD 2t, 250gb SSD, P3Dv3, GSX, REX E. EZDok, Accu-Feel, ORBX,Track IR5, Saitek PRO; Yoke, pedals, Xtra throttles & headset

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top