Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
 25 FLIGHT DYNAMICS TWEAKS (The only thread) (Read 36390 times)
toelg

Re: FLIGHT DYNAMICS TWEAKS (The only thread)
Reply #45 - May 23rd, 2012 at 9:30am
Print Post  
bud7h7 wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:46am:
I'm still working on the idle thrust descent rate. My goal is at least 270 KIAS at -2800 v/s, without affecting other areas of flight.

Thanks,  that sounds good; looking forward for that ..... !  Smiley

Good luck !
Dietmar

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #46 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Has anyone tried to play with the autopilot settings so far?

My concern was the max bank angle it allowed (and used) on the larger scale turns. It was set to 30 degrees which not only gave the altitude hold feature a hard time (altitude loss and/or large hectic movements), but may also exceed what's nice for the passengers.

So reducing it to more suitable 25 degrees seems to help and does not cause much trouble for the actual turn rates needed for procedures. Always watch your speeds though, catching the ILS at 250kts will never really work with the old ship. A standard rate of turn (3°/s) will be achieved at 180kts with that 25 degree bank angle. Good speed for a 737.  Wink

You can still manually command higher bank angles of course, it's just that the AP stops at 25°. keeping the altitude more stable and reducing the workload for himself. Passenger drinks may also like it, well, just keep it coordinated of course, which is easier at lower angles as the yaw damper works slowly.

Look for the line
[autopilot]
max_bank=30,25,20,15,10
in the aircraft.cfg.

Take away the '30' and receive
max_bank=25,20,15,10

Done.  Smiley If she's flying backwards now or always turns to the moon, you've mixed something up. Then use your backup!  Wink

PS. The 727 and 707 also feature a 25° maximum right out of the box.

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #47 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Will try 25°, thanks coolP. There's also a way to dampen that pitch effect when banking in the .air file but I don't yet know exactly which value it is.

Also,

CoolP wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:46pm:
Always watch your speeds though, catching the ILS at 250kts will never really work with the old ship. A standard rate of turn (3°/s) will be achieved at 180kts with that 25 degree bank angle. Good speed for a 737.  Wink

I'm not 100% sure but I believe if you're 2500 or below you should not be above 200 kias within 4nm of class C or D airspace. The FAR does authorize ATC to waive that limitation if your aircraft's minimum safe speed is higher than the speed restriction.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #48 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 1:15am
Print Post  
toelg wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:30am:
bud7h7 wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:46am:
I'm still working on the idle thrust descent rate. My goal is at least 270 KIAS at -2800 v/s, without affecting other areas of flight.

Thanks,  that sounds good; looking forward for that ..... !  Smiley

Good luck !
Dietmar

Best I could get was about 240 kts at a rate of 2800. BUT, after CS releases the next 1.x update I will probably rework the FDE (if needed) and this time I'll finish editing the descent speed before working out the level flight and climb drag/thrust. I made the mistake of trying to get that all done at the same time and it's impossible to edit the descent rate without messing up cruise/climb etc.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #49 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 1:39am
Print Post  
bud7h7 wrote on Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:53am:
Will try 25°, thanks coolP. There's also a way to dampen that pitch effect when banking in the .air file but I don't yet know exactly which value it is.

I would leave your current file as it is. No need to dampen anything in my eyes.

Quote:
CoolP wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:46pm:
Always watch your speeds though, catching the ILS at 250kts will never really work with the old ship. A standard rate of turn (3°/s) will be achieved at 180kts with that 25 degree bank angle. Good speed for a 737.  Wink

I'm not 100% sure but I believe if you're 2500 or below you should not be above 200 kias within 4nm of class C or D airspace. The FAR does authorize ATC to waive that limitation if your aircraft's minimum safe speed is higher than the speed restriction.

I think the context was lost on that one. The guys who try to catch the ILS with 250 kts are the ones flying F-18. The passenger planes of ours do good when picking a speed like 180, where that mentioned bank angle of 25° allows for some maneuvering at standard turning rates and without passengers looking straight down. The heavy planes may pick other values, same goes for a Concorde or something, but, as you've mentioned, 200 and more knots can be a bit of a task when it comes to lining up timely and without overshooting. Well, depending on the intercept angle. Good point on the regulations.

That example on the 250 kts was more to be read with a  Tongue for the speedy flyers. Frequent VATSIM users will know what I mean. Well, I once was that speedy guy to be honest.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top