Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Working on a pressurization fix (Read 12227 times)
Dutch

Working on a pressurization fix
Sep 25th, 2011 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Hi all you fellow 727 lovers,

Right now this airplane is my favorite and I can't seem to stop flying it!  I've always had an affection for the 727 and this CS version is about the best there is.

I've spent quite a bit of time patching and fixing the various bugs and issues and everything is working okay (at least, no more buggy than the real thing was, to read the stories from actual 727 drivers here.)
Many thanks to all those that figured out the fixes and workarounds.

My only major issue now is the pressurization system total fail.  I fly with FSCaptain and it monitors the FSX pressurization variables to determine the comfort level of the PAX...and there are some very weird things going on with those numbers behind the scenes!!
My FO keeps telling me about excessive rates of climb and sometimes the cabin is over 10,000 feet!  The PAX aren't happy either, gasping for breath and with ears popping like crazy and headaches.

I could go on and on about all that's wrong with the system, but to cut it short I've written some code that replaces the broken stuff in both the CS gauges and in FSX itself so we almost have a working 727 pressurization system where the needles and knobs behave reasonably.   But I want to implement it accurately.

My question is:

How exactly is this old-style manual pressurization system supposed to work?  The CS documentation is of little help, and I haven't been able to find anything much on the internet.  I have a couple of 727 FCOMs but they describe the newer system that's automatic.

I see where you can set a cabin pressure goal of between 0 and 10,000 feet, and a rate knob where you can control the rate of climb.  Obviously you set your goal and rate and when the system pressurizes the cabin altitude climbs or descends towards the goal at the rate you set. 

The pressure gauge and rate of climb gauges seem pretty standard -- although the way CS has implemented the pressure differential/cabin altitude gauge isn't even close to right.

Anyway I have those working now.  But there is no FLT/GRD or pressure dump switch.  I have assumed that the system will pressurize when off the ground, and dump pressure when on ground.  Is this the way the original system worked?  Or did CS leave off a switch somewhere?  Or am I missing something obvious?

I also am not sure how to accurately implement the manual pressure control.   I guess that if you have the needle in the "auto" range the system will work as described above but if you get it out of that auto range you will force a climb (or descent) at a rate you set with the manual pressure control and the usual rate knob and cabin altitude setting will be ignored.

If my assumptions are correct (and please let me know if you know how this worked or can point me to some docs) I'll post a link to the code and installation instructions so you too can have a working pressurization system until CS fixes it if you're willing to install a simple gauge and replace one of the CAB files with a fixed one.

Also, in figuring this out and tracking the internal FSX pressure variables I have a detailed knowledge of what's wrong with the way CS implemented this.  But that's another loooong post, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for a great product though!  I've totally enjoyed it so far.  There's no way I'd go to all this effort if it wasn't worth it.

Dutch

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: Working on a pressurization fix
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
The 727 and for that matter 707 old style (as in the CS model) pressure control panels were very simple to operate, but took a bit of art on the F/E's side to make smooth.

The concept is simple. Air In - Air Out.

The engines supply high pressure bleed air through a pressure control valve on the engine. The F/E uses the pressure control panel to send signals to the outflow valves to control the amount of pressure in the plane's cabin. In the drawing, I show the air as water, but the concept is the same. The differential pressure is the difference of the air pressure inside the cabin to outside the cabin, displayed as P.S.I.

Here is a look at a real 727 pressure control panel. The knob on the lower right is where you select the altitude you want the cabin to go to. In this picture the cabin is selected to something less than 1,000 feet below MSL and the little window in the center top of the instrument shows the airplane altitude at max differential pressure. It indicates about 19,200 feet. Max differential is just over 9 psi. The knob just above the cabin altitude select knob is the barometric correction for local pressure. The baro window at about 2 o'clock shows 28.35 inches of Mercury (pretty low outside pressure - standard is 29.92). The other knob on the lower left is the rate of change selector. The arrow indicates the position of the selector - in this case almost max rate. If you align the arrow with the white triangle under the word RATE it should give you around 500 FPM.

So, how does it work?

Here is a look at the Captain Sim 727 pressure panel. It consists of 4 parts. The manual pressure control on the lower right, the automatic pressure control, lower left and two gauges above. The gauge on the above right is the rate of climb or descent indicator (VSI) and the one to the upper left is a combined cabin altitude and cabin differential gauge.

This is how the F/E would operate this system.

Since there is no ground venturi switch on this basic system the panel is operated just a little different to avoid large pressure bumps. After engine start, one or both packs can be started for air conditioning before the doors are closed. Just before the doors are closed the pack should be turned off. The pack valves are designed to open and close slowly to help with squeezing the ears. If the plane had a ground venturi fan, it would hold the outflow valves open and really aid in controlling the pressure bump. But is doesn't so tough it out!

Once all the doors are closed - cargo and cabin - the F/E can turn on one pack at a time and give the system time to react. You could select an altitude, on the automatic panel, to something above the current field elevation, but there is little muscle in the system to react since the cabin and the plane are at the same altitude. As the pack valve opens, there will be a small down surge in the cabin pressure and this can be seen on the VSI. After the pressure settles down you can open the second pack valve. Now as the plane taxis out for takeoff any addition of thrust from the engines will result in a down surge in the cabin - nice system, Hun! Most pilots were aware of the pressure system and would try to avoid doing this to the F/E, since it also effected them as well. As you took the runway for takeoff the F/E would check the differential pressure to make sure the red placard was being followed. You are limited to a max differential pressure of .125 psi on the ground. This is so the doors can be opened in an emergency. As the power was increased for takeoff the F/E would move the rate selector to minimum rate and maybe turn the cabin altitude selector up above the field elevation, but there was not much the poor F/E could do at this point. There would be a pressure bump as the plane was rotated for takeoff and airflow over the outflow valves changed. Not much the F/E could do here either. As the plane started to climb the F/E would select the desired cabin altitude for cruise plus a few thousand extra feet to avoid getting too close to the automatic pressure relief of 8.4 psi. Once established in a climb the F/E would adjust the rate knob to obtain around 500 fpm climb of the cabin. If the plane was light and climbing fast, the F/E would have to increase the climb rate of the cabin so as no to get caught by the climbing plane. If that were to happen, the cabin would climb with the plane and all the passengers and the other two pilots would curse the poor F/E to tears. This last sentence was an example of the negative pressure relief system.

At top of descent the F/E would slowly start the cabin down to the destination airport field elevation. Again, you needed to keep the cabin ahead of the plane in descent or the same thing would happen and more cursing would ensue. If you took off from a sea level airport and your destination was Denver, you might not have to do too much with the cabin altitude as the cabin was probably very near the field elevation. To change cabin altitude either up or down required slow and careful movement of the cabin select knob to avoid the pressure bump. Most F/E's got very good at this system and kept everybody happy. If you had a leaky plane, idle thrust might not have enough bleed air to keep the cabin from climbing during descent. F/E's would ask the pilots to push up one of the throttles just a bit to get a little more bleed air and keep the cabin going down.

The manual controller worked just like the auto controller, but you had to apply more attention to the device since any power change resulted in a different rate, and you needed to keep an eye on the differential and cabin altitude since there was no automatic level off at the correct altitude. The manual controller and automatic controller are connected, but the manual controller had more muscle and would override the auto controller.

I hope this little explanation helps to understand the old fashioned pressure system. It was fun to make it work nice, but I for one was not unhappy to see it go either.  Shocked

Lou

P.S. the latest version of the CS727 & 707 cabin pressure systems do not work as they should for whatever reason. A fix is in the plan.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Awesome, Lou, thanks for the wonderfully detailed explanation...more than I could ever have got from a manual!  That could only have been written by a fellow who's spent many hours in the FE seat?

So, to sum up, it's not the status of whether you're on the ground or not as I had guessed.  The pressurization system is working (the system is adjusting the cabin altitude towards the selected goal by the chosen rate) when either or both of the packs are on and the airplane is sealed up.   

When no packs are on, or the doors are open, the goal becomes the outside air pressure.  With packs off but cabin sealed, use the rate selected.  If a door is open, it's much more rapid.

Manual overrides auto and sets rate independent of the normal rate dial - unless manual switch is in the auto range.

Pressure differential can not be negative and not exceed 9 PSI (what happens if it does?)

I love the level of detail in your reply, but I'm not going to try and implement all that.   At this point I just want a reasonably accurate implementation.   

We bump up against the fact that as simmers we are a one-man show trying to run a three-man airplane.   When I'm flying I can't be riding herd over this pressure controller to be smoothing out pressure bumps -- I'd probably crash while staring at the FE panel.  I've stalled once and crashed while testing!  Was annoying...

How about this for a workable mini-checklist.

1.  After engines are started and cabin sealed, set pressure goal 1,000 feet or so above field elevation and rate at 300-500FPM.

2.  Once established in the initial climb phase, set pressure goal to what you'll want it to be at cruise and let it start rising.

3.  At top of descent, set pressure to 1,000 feet above field level and rate to 200-300 FPM.  Try to avoid letting the airplane get ahead of the system, but let the controller itself prevent negative differentials on the way down.

4.  After landing set pressure to field elevation so as not to induce a surge when the doors get opened.

This may be a little more semi-automatic than the real thing, but still operated in basically the same way.  It should keep the altitude, rate of change and differential numbers within a reasonable range, without the huge amount of work, which is good enough for me while we wait for Captain Sim to fix it officially.

Dutch

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Dutch wrote:

So, to sum up, it's not the status of whether you're on the ground or not as I had guessed.  The pressurization system is working (the system is adjusting the cabin altitude towards the selected goal by the chosen rate) when either or both of the packs are on and the airplane is sealed up.  

Negative pressure is not allowed. A relief valve will see to that.

The system does not start to adjust the cabin just sitting there on the ramp. Sure, you could start the cabin down and increase pressure, but remember the limit of .125 psi. It is after you takeoff that the system starts to do its thing.
The altitude you select in the auto controller and the rate will start the cabin to climb as the plane climbs, but at a much slower rate. The goal is to climb the cabin at a smooth steady rate of lets say 300 to 500 fpm and arrive at the selected cabin altitude before the plane gets to its cruising altitude. Example: aircraft at 35,000 feet, cabin at 7,000 feet - differential pressure around 8 psi.

When no packs are on, or the doors are open, the goal becomes the outside air pressure.  With packs off but cabin sealed, use the rate selected.  If a door is open, it's much more rapid.

With no packs on and doors open inside is the same as outside. With packs off and all doors closed technically you get a slight negative pressure from the equipment cooling fan, but that is too much detail.

Manual overrides auto and sets rate independent of the normal rate dial - unless manual switch is in the auto range.

Correct! With the Manual needle in the 12 o'clock position the auto controller is boss. If you move the manual knob out of that middle position the auto controller is overridden and slowly the manual controller takes over.

Pressure differential can not be negative and not exceed 9 PSI (what happens if it does?)

Yup! That is true. If in auto control and 8.4 is neared, the auto relief valve starts to work to cap the differential. If you exceed 9. something, the manual relief valve comes into play and the correction is a lot bigger. Not a good place to be with passengers on board as there will surly be some laundry issues.

I love the level of detail in your reply, but I'm not going to try and implement all that.   At this point I just want a reasonably accurate implementation.  

We bump up against the fact that as simmers we are a one-man show trying to run a three-man airplane.   When I'm flying I can't be riding herd over this pressure controller to be smoothing out pressure bumps -- I'd probably crash while staring at the FE panel.  I've stalled once and crashed while testing!  Was annoying...

When I fly the 727 or 707 of Captain Sim, I don't worry too much about the F/E panel. I keep an eye on the fuel on a long trip and cross feed when needed, but as you said - I did enough of that F/E stuff to last a life time.

How about this for a workable mini-checklist.

1.  After engines are started and cabin sealed, set pressure goal 1,000 feet or so above field elevation and rate at 300-500FPM.

2.  Once established in the initial climb phase, set pressure goal to what you'll want it to be at cruise and let it start rising.

3.  At top of descent, set pressure to 1,000 feet above field level and rate to 200-300 FPM.  Try to avoid letting the airplane get ahead of the system, but let the controller itself prevent negative differentials on the way down.

4.  After landing set pressure to field elevation so as not to induce a surge when the doors get opened.

This may be a little more semi-automatic than the real thing, but still operated in basically the same way.  It should keep the altitude, rate of change and differential numbers within a reasonable range, without the huge amount of work, which is good enough for me while we wait for Captain Sim to fix it officially.

1. OK
2. OK
3. Set the auto controller to the landing field elevation. Keep ahead of the plane at ALL times or we are back to the Laundromat issue. These relief valves are pretty savage. Nothing subtle in their corrections.
4. If you do 3 correctly you have done 4!  Wink

Lou  Cool

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Thanks again LOU!

Okay, if any brave soul would like to give this a shot, download it here:

http://www.fscaptain.net/downloads/CS727_Pressure_Fix_Beta1.zip

It's a zip and contains a readme.txt file to explain how to install it.  It's a relatively simple thing to install if you are familiar with extracting a folder from a zip and making a one-line change to your panel.cfg file.  If not, don't bother with this.

This should be safe and easy, but it is a beta, so be cautious.  Back up your panel folder first.

After installation the pressure controller should work pretty much as Lou has described above.  Briefly, this works for me:

1.  On the ground, your doors will be open and the airplane unpressurized.  As soon as all doors are closed and the packs are switched on, and there's a source of bleed air (external, APU, or engines) the pressure controller starts working.  It will try and drive the internal cabin altitude to equal the goal you set at the rate you select.  Relief valves will kick in if cabin pressure exceeds external pressure, or the differential exceeds 9.5 PSI.   The relief valves are brutal in they will cause a sudden pressure change.  Try and avoid them kicking in.

2.  Before taxi set your goal at or slightly below field elevation.  Setting it above may trigger the negative pressure valve.

3.  After takeoff once you have established a climb on autopilot, turn your attention back to the pressure controller.  You will see the cabin pressure steady at departure field elevation but the differential will be rising as you climb.   Set your desired cabin altitude at cruise now and adjust the rate to 500FPM or so (straight up arrow on the rate knob.)
Now the differential will rise slower as the cabin climbs, but at a lower rate than the airplane does.

This pressure controller is set to allow a cabin altitude of around 8,000 feet at a pressure altitude of 35,000 feet with a differential of about 8.5 PSI at that setting.  Do not set your cabin altitude so low and fly so high that your differential exceeds 9.5 PSI or you'll blow another relief valve and there will be consternation in the cabin.

4.  At start of descent, set your goal down to about the field elevation and your rate at about 300FPM.   In actual practice the F/E would set it to field elevation plus 1,000 feet and then play with it to insure a low differential (below 1.25 PSI) on landing.  But we don't have a dedicated F/E and we don't want to have to play around with this while we are on approach.  So set the field elevation, or a little below, and let it do its thing.

5.  On landing your differential should be less than 1.0.  You can further adjust it down to almost zero before you open the doors.

Let me know if something doesn't work right.

Enjoy!
Dutch

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Dude, you've done it! it works for me as you described Smiley) Thanks! Now i got to get used to not to skip it in checklists Wink

P.S. Can you program xml ? Can you add trim motor sound when evelator trim key pressed?

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Dutch, did you submit that to CS? Maybe they like it and make use of it in 2.5.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I'll be happy to help them if I can.  I doubt they are interested my code because it is written in XML and their code is in C - and besides it appears they are trying to use the built-in FSX pressurization system whereas I just replaced it.

My advice would be to look into not ever using the "pressure dump" feature of FSX because it appears to be broken.  From what I saw in my testing, if that is removed the CS system should work.

Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Good point about he xml and C stuff. But I'd rather have a working xml than a broken C gauge.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top