Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Am I the Only One? (Read 3093 times)
wingclip

Am I the Only One?
Aug 31st, 2011 at 2:54am
Print Post  
I have found something very strange about the CS weapons program and I'd like to know if anyone else has this anomaly.
When I fire my rockets or machine guns into the ground below me, (at about a 45 degree angle or more), I noticed that I almost never see the ground flash up and the smoke from a striking rocket or dust from a machinegun round.

BUT, this NEVER happens when I lift off from KNQX, Key West, Florida. I can get a hit/strike effect from as close as 5 yards, (maybe even closer). However, I have been unable to get that effect when I shoot at the side of mountains in the Pacific Northwest, or in the deserts of the Grand Canyon!

In fact, I also have this problem in the Yugoslavia area at LDDU and others given as references for finding targets to shoot with the weapons. I can fire straight at the mountain side over there and also directly down at the ground and almost never get a strike effect!?

Believe me when I say that I have tried all kinds of different ranges, with an A-10, a Little blackbird Helicopter, and even with the Default F18 that is supplied with the CS Weapons program.

I thought it may have to do with add-on scenery but that didn't make sense because I have no add-on scenery anywhere in Europe. But I decided to try disabling my UTX USA and FTX PNW. I also have GEX but I didn't disable that because frankly, it's not just a matter of turning it off like the others.

I don't have a good enough understanding of GEX to mess with it like that. Besides, I believe GEX only handles the North American Continent if that. And because this effect is also happening in Europe I don't think GEX would have much to do with it.

Don't forget, KNQX in Key West does NOT have this same anomaly. That's what makes it so strange. There are a lot of places that I didn't try so you all may find more, (assuming that this isn't a problem that is exclusive to me).

I have been checking out this weird anomaly for the last few days and I want to make it clear that I am not complaining about it because it really isn't that important to me. Does anyone else notice this? Please try out a few of the places I mentioned above and see.
Thanks

Weapon for FSX / 737 Captain (737-200) / 767 Captain (767-300 Base Pack) / B-52 Driver / C-130 X-perience (FSX) / C-130 Extra Pack I

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Am I the Only One?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 5:00am
Print Post  
Start FSX. Once your flight is ready, press "Y" (for slew mode). Move your aircraft on the ground to the site where you can't see the rockets and bullets striking the ground. I would bet that the aircraft will sink below the grounds surface. If it does that, it will explain why you can't see the Weapon impact. The "solid" surface is below the ground texture. The bullets and rockets are impacting and exploding beneath the ground texture and that is why you can't see the effect of the impact.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

wingclip

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Yes, That's right Mark! That is exactly what is happening. So what's the deal? What is it I would have to do to fix that?

I turned off UTX USA and FTX and still got that effect.

As I said, I am getting this effect in Europe as well, (and remember, all is great in Key West). If the scenery in the European airports that are referenced in the CS Weapons manual are enhanced, then maybe that can explain the "underlying ground".

But even if that's the reason, is it happening to everyone or just me?

Weapon for FSX / 737 Captain (737-200) / 767 Captain (767-300 Base Pack) / B-52 Driver / C-130 X-perience (FSX) / C-130 Extra Pack I

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 2:32am
Print Post  
I don't think you can fix it. As far as I know, it's a fault with FSX. The ground/scenery textures are "floating" above the ground in some areas, especially if the ground has a lot of small hills or mountains (the ground is not flat, but the textures are).

I shot down a 737-800 near YMML not long after I got Weapon for FSX, I did not hit it enough times to destroy it (I ran out of missiles Roll Eyes) but it continued on its merry way to wherever it was going ON THE GROUND it kept disappearing below the surface as I followed it far enough away to no longer be able to track it. I think it was trying to go to New Zealand. It was really funny to watch it flying along the ground!

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

wingclip

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mark! I could just imagine that 'semi-dead 737' traveling business as usual. I think something similar happened to me.

Well at least it's good to know I'm not the only one. Also, I think the scenery that is at or below sea level, (actually mean sea level), will report a visual strike such as Key West.

And when I fire the machine guns at any lake when I'm at about a 5 to 25 degree angle to the surface, I get these cool strikes that appear as if the rounds were skipping across the surface of the water.

I haven't checked to see if my strikes are reported when I fire rounds at the surface of any ocean or sea but if our guesses are correct, we should see the strikes there.

Then again, it could be several anomalies working on the effect at the same time and no single one alone is the culprit. It's just interesting to test these different areas out in my spare time.

The truth is, the whole weapons idea is a fun little break and lets me get out some frustrations but I prefer the more traditional FSX flying enjoying the scenery, and flying in challenging weather and situations of that sort.

The shooting is more for 'gamers' and there are plenty of those type games that do that and do it better.
Thanks again

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I haven't checked to see if my strikes are reported when I fire rounds at the surface of any ocean or sea but if our guesses are correct, we should see the strikes there.
Nor have I, but that's usually because I'm trying very hard to pull up and not "splash!" in the water! Nothing worse than blowing a ship out of the sea only to slam into it yourself! Shocked

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

flawlesspaul1

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 4:40am
Print Post  
I'm having similar problems with strike effects too..
Also , I sometimes can not see the missiles or bullets at all..
My picture or display if you will, freezes momentarily and that suggests to me that there is a frame rate issue.
One weird thing that happens with me is when I am using (another company) (AIRHAULER) I can see the missiles launched from my aircraft and the strikes on the ground with smoke and displacement of earth along with explosion sounds with no freeze-up.
Some unexplained behaviour with my computer.. But I think Weapon for FSX (WFSX) needs alot of computer power to get what we are all craving for.
I really hope that the developers are working on a patch or update to fix all the bugs and what nots.
I support you guys.. Come on, lets get this add-on poppin'.

IP Logged

wingclip

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Darn Flawlesspaul1, I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it but I had the same problem of the missing missiles after I had added a 3rd party program to the main program.

Then I saw what it was that I did wrong and fixed it. At the time, I remembered it being an obvious mistake on my part and now I'm trying hard to remember what it was.

I will certainly tell you as soon as I do, I just need to stop trying so hard to remember and then it'll come to me.

Now as far as the temporary stop that you see when an explosion occurs, that has to do with the power of your computer but also the size of the explosion. In addition to that is any and all enhanced areas via add-ons and FSX scenery and weather settings.

What I'm saying is I am running a 3.9 GHz CPU, 1 gig GPU, (over clocked to 945MHz & 1330 memory clock), and 8 gigs ram. Sometimes when I hit something from a good distance away I'll get a split second of hesitation. But that has happened to me with many other special effects from other designers too.

It is likely taking a whack at the frame rate on those occasions but if you're running a slower CPU and maybe even a slower GPU than mine, I'm guessing that it may be more apparent. It really is hardly noticeable but I do see it on those occasions.

Also, I only get that when I'm running all my scenery to maximums, the weather is set to detailed and I set it up with cloudy skies. In addition, I'm running FTX PNW UTX USA, GEX and some high resolution airstrip locations, (man that's a mouthful).

But lately I've been flying and shooting in Southwest New Zealand and all I have there is a New Zealand scenery enhancement program. Then I don't have that frame hit even when I'm slamming rockets into an airstrip as fast as I can pull the trigger! The weather is stormy and it's dusk or dawn and still no problem.

I guess I'm suggesting that you try to fly and shoot in a relatively default area and back off some of your scenery and weather settings in the FSX control box. That should really clear the problem up. Even if the CPU is less than 3.GHz. Oh, and try setting a chopper or, if you have it, an Osprey with the weapon system! I fly them more than the jets because I can fly nice and slow.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top