Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 ILS Localizer capture question (Read 27779 times)
Markoz
CS Team

Re: ILS Localizer capture question
Reply #30 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Colvale wrote on Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:58am:
last night I was approaching YMML,night flight,set the ILS frequency in the NAV1 radio of 109.30,and at 2000ft selected VOR/LOC on the 2D AP pop-out panel,and yet the a/c did not track that beam.
If you are landing on Runway ILS16 the NAV frequency is 109.70. Or were you landing at Orbx AU YMML RWY ILS27? I don't have RWY9/27 active on my AU YMML v2.

What I do when approaching RWY ILS 16, is to aim to be at 3800' and on a heading of approximately 160o at BOL NDB. This will put me just below the G/S and very close to lined up on the LOC. So when I reach BOL, my AP Mode Selector Switch is on LOC and I have ALT HOLD on. At or near BOL, I turn the Mode Selector Switch to AUTO GS to capture the Glide Slope down to the runway threshold.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Colvale

Reply #31 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Hi Mark.

Yes, I was using ORBX's YMML Rwy 27/ILS 109.30. I arrived at CF27 at 2000ft,ALT HOLD,switched VOR/LOC on the AP,saw the 2 lights illuminate, which I thought was the VOR/LOC captured and then switched to G/S AUTO. At that stage I was expecting to see the plane descend along the G/S,but when I looked at it from an External View,as the VC view gave me a false perspective,and I detest VC anyway,it seemed to me that I was way too high and too close and would thus overshoot if I carried on relying on the G/S AUTO.Thus I elected to go hand land.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #32 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:31pm:
CoolP, tell her people shell out big bucks at DizzyWorld to go loop-d-loop and all sorts of puke inducing rides. The plane ride is tame next to some of the coasters today.

I will tell her, but she's afraid of flying, so this may explain why I may run into trouble, even when being the pilot.
But your wifey is a cool girl, that's what she said and that's what I think too.  Smiley

Quote:
saw the 2 lights illuminate, which I thought was the VOR/LOC captured and then switched to G/S AUTO.

Make sure to seen green lights there, since amber is the armed status, not leading to any guidance. If it stays amber all the time, maybe the freqs are wrong or you are too far off course.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #33 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I did a couple of touch and goes at AU YMML runway 27, after I had turned on the crosswind landing option. I had no trouble with it. Getting close to the threshold I did notice that I looked to be low on the approach, but the 707 still did it like I expected her to.

A couple of things that I might have done differently to you. I started getting lined up from 20 miles out. I was at 5000 feet at 20 miles out. My approach was with Full flaps, landing gear down, speed ~160 knots at the time I captured the Gide Slope.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Colvale

Reply #34 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
saw the 2 lights illuminate, which I thought was the VOR/LOC captured and then switched to G/S AUTO.

Make sure to seen green lights there, since amber is the armed status, not leading to any guidance. If it stays amber all the time, maybe the freqs are wrong or you are too far off course.

[/quote]
Hi CoolP

Once more,as per your postings in other forums,you are a great source of help.

Yes,the two VOR/LOC V/L neons first illuminate orange,then both go to green,which is when I switched over to the G/S Auto.Now I don't know for sure whether it was because I did not select ALT HLD or what but I was at the correct altitude to intercept the G/S,and I could see myself tracking the ILS but the G/S neon had not turned green and I was not making any further descent down the G/S as I'd have expected.

Exterior View told me immediately that(a)I was still too high,and  (b)I'd be at the threshold pretty soon and would have to abort,at which stage I opted to handland.

Mark,I had flaps 30,gear down,at about 150kias.

I tried another landing at RJAA after a long night flight from YMML.Same scenario,same outcome.

But I will persist,and give it another go+post some screengrabs.

Thanks guys for your inputs.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #35 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I think the real plane trips the ALT and HDG "hold" things when the ILS is captures, but the CS currently does not. So you will always have to make sure that both "holds" aren't on.
May this be a trouble cause there? Don't know of any other at the moment.

IP Logged

Colvale

Reply #36 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:51am
Print Post  
@CoolP+Mark

Guys,thanks to you two,it gives me a great satisfaction to say, that I managed my very first auto-land into Rwy8L at PHNL from RJAA,after following all of your tips re:C 'n D Start,SIDs+STARs,V/L,G/S,etc,etc.

I have learned a great deal from you two.Thanks again.Now look forward to even more flights as I want to build time with this 'old dame'.

Ooops,I hope that is PC-ok!

IP Logged

cenkcnk

Reply #37 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
when i captured a nav frequency, airplane starts the shaking

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Covale said: Yes,the two VOR/LOC V/L neons first illuminate orange,then both go to green,which is when I switched over to the G/S Auto.

If you want to get comfortable flying this plane, stay in the traffic pattern and fly some approaches. You can set the plane up on the approach lets say 15 miles out on an intercept heading at the proper altitude for that part of the flight. Remember, 300' per mile is the normal glideslope.
When you have the plane where you want it, press P to pause and save the flight so you can repeat the approach over and over as you wish.

Go here and download some maps: http://runwayfinder.com/
Go here and download some approach plates: http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Here is a IFR low altitude enroute chart. It has airpotrs, VOR's and airways.

Here is a closer look at the chart. There is a bunch of detail, maybe too much for a low time pilot. I put a red circle around KMDT (Harrisburg, PA)

Here is the approach chart for KMDT RW 13 ILS

If you want to fly a few approaches, this is a pretty easy approach. You can position your plane northwest of the HAR vor and get all set up for a ILS to RW 13. You can set the ENOLA NDB (204) which will give you some extra help in finding your way around. Notice the initial approach altitude is 2,800 feet. If you get all set up and don't rush the approach the 707 will do a very nice job of tracking the ILS. Keep the weather nice and daytime until you get comfortable with the plane. Reduce the fuel load to around 30% so it's not too heavy. Use flaps 50 and set the Vref to the chart under the glare shield. Add 10 knots to the Vref and that will be your full flap approach speed. We called that Bug+10. Bug being the little speed pointer in the airspeed indicator.

Spend a little time looking at the approach chart. There is a ton of information on each chart, so study it before you go fly.

REMEMBER - this is NOT an autoland airplane. You must disconnect the autopilot by 100 feet above the ground or it could get nasty!  Cry

Some where - in the past - I wrote a very detailed approach lesson. I think CS2 put it in the tips section.

Have FUN! Let me know how you are doing.

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top