Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 ILS Localizer capture question (Read 27815 times)
Colvale

Re: ILS Localizer capture question
Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Capt Lou,as somebody who has just got this  venerable 'old bird' out of the hangar where after purchase it lay dormant,as I have been spending far too much time with the latest modern day  'heavies' and their FMC-enabled navaids,this a/c's navaids system was all a bewilderment to me until I read your oh-so-informative tuition above.Thank you very much for going to all that effort of not only a textual tutorial but like the old adage of 'a picture paints.....', I have learned something  today.

Wow! is the only word befitting what you have taken the time and trouble to do

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #16 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Colvale,

You are welcome. It is always fun to see someone learn something new. After you fly this old gal around for a few hours you will enter a time warp and be taken back in time to the land of steam driven instruments.  Wink

In my career, I had the benefit of seeing the old and the new. The glass cockpit is a much more complete piece of information given to the pilot in an easy to understand format. The downside is too much information and too many things that can go wrong.

When it comes to pure fun in flying... Give me my J-5A Cub!

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #17 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 3:03am
Print Post  
This may be a dumb question, but did you have to get a different kind of pilot's license when you got the Cub?

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #18 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 3:43am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Jun 27th, 2011 at 3:03am:
This may be a dumb question, but did you have to get a different kind of pilot's license when you got the Cub?

I'll bet the first license that Lou got (way back when....) covers his beloved J-5 Cub. Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Though is there a different kind of license for flying a private prop than for a commercial jet? (Other than the basic certification for the airplane, that is)

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #20 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  
I'm missing a POH for the cub so far.
I guess the first sentence there will be "you ain't going anywhere fast, so please be patient!".

Nice plane, Lou. Makes me jealous of some kind and also reminds me that I really have to get a license soon to scare my girlfriend like I do with Heidi in the sim.  Grin

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #21 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 10:54am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jun 27th, 2011 at 10:30am:
I'm missing a POH for the cub so far.
I guess the first sentence there will be "you ain't going anywhere fast, so please be patient!".

Nice plane, Lou. Makes me jealous of some kind and also reminds me that I really have to get a license soon to scare my girlfriend like I do with Heidi in the sim.  Grin

Ahhhh. Good old (young actually) Heidi! Don't you love it when she screams in terror? I sure do! On normal, not so exciting, flights, I don't take her with me.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #22 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
On the door of my Cub there is a placard that says: GET IN, SIT DOWN & HOLD ON!  Cool

The first plane I ever flew was a J-3 Cub. First FAA license was a student pilot's, then I got my Private pilot license in ASEL (airplane single engine land). The next rating was Instrument, then Commercial followed by Flight Instructor. I built up my time as a flight instructor and doing some charter flying. When I was hired by the airlines, they sent me to their school to get my Flight Engineers rating in turbojets. Big jump from ASEL! First plane I flew as F/O was the 727, which at the time was considered center line thrust so I still did not have a multi-engine rating. It was not until I checked out on the 767 that I got my multi-engine rating and ATP all at the same time.

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Could be that the biggest license to achieve is the "wifey-flies-too" one. My girlfriend said that she will never sit in a plane where I'm the pilot in command. Seems as if those Heidi screams had some impact.  Grin
That's kinda hard, but I still will go my way and then make her drunk or something.  Tongue

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
"If Bruce Scott lived near-by I would get together with him and produce a video to show how this works."

Lou - Your *down and dirty* ADF/LOM description using the map and panel pics is as good as any video. You are VERY good at that! I could have you making videos in a matter of minutes! Making a video is very easy compared to mastering this old time navigation stuff!! I just can't get away from the GPS! Have never had any flight training so the GPS is my crutch. Like I said--- if I lived in your neighborhood I would have you teach me this stuff one on one, but trying to learn it from reading and looking at pictures is tough for a Manhattan soaked brain of 73!  Grin

Bruce

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
CoolP, tell her people shell out big bucks at DizzyWorld to go loop-d-loop and all sorts of puke inducing rides. The plane ride is tame next to some of the coasters today.

When I got married to my sweet wife, I would take her for rides in the plane. One day many years ago, I said to her I was going out to the airport to wash my plane. She said "see you later." I went out to the airport near where I live to do a little cleaning and as I was working on my plane I noticed the various airport bums sitting out side the office watching me work. I was perplexed since watching some one clean a plane was akin to paint drying.

Well, it soon became clear why the bums were keeping an eye on me. A small plane flew over the airport, entered the pattern and landed. The plane taxied up to where I was working and out popped my wife with a log book tied with a ribbon.

It happened to be my birthday and this was her present to me.  Cool  

While I was away at work flying for the airlines, she would take lessons. All the bums knew what she was doing, just not me!  Shocked

I don't know about you, but I thought that was one cool birthday present.  Kiss

Bruce, if you lived nearby,  there would be a shortage of bourbon.  Shocked   I would have you doing ADF approaches in IMC weather in that old CS 707!

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #26 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Another great story, Lou!! You have a wonderful wife--- smart too! I'd say that was some birthday! You should write an autobiography!

Well, we would probably have to do some brandy Manhattans so they could catch up on bourbon production!

Is the CS 707 auto pilot as easy to use as the 727? I had no trouble figuring it out---- with your helpful posts that is! I'm hesitant to buy it due to the long haul nature of it. West Coast to Hawaii is about the shortest route for it logically. All the Eastbound transatlantic stuff was mostly overnight. PAA did have one daylight flt from JFK to LHR that I can remember-- PA102 dep 1000. The long haul 707 South American flts were mostly night time also.

Lou, it just this minute occurred to me ---last night I booked, and paid for, a 9 night Mexico Cruise sailing from Long Beach on October 7 and returning Oct 16th. That precludes the AVSIM Conference for me! Hmmm, it was a spur of the moment decision--- induced, more than likely, by that 3rd vodka tonic!  Wink

Bruce

PS - For whatever reason, I can't post pictures here anymore.

IP Logged

Colvale

Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Hello Capt Lou

What a lovely story. Tugs at the human ethos. very befitting birthday present for a gentleman in every sense,even after you have hung up your airline headsets.

Unlike btscott,I cannot offer you YouTube lessons, nevertheless, I'd be willing to sit and learn all navigating these old steam-driven planes. Smiley

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #28 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Bruce, the 707 autopilot was a pretty good autopilot. Remember, this was a non boosted flight control plane. The autopilot did a great job in flying and was not bad in heading or manual. The NAV selection all the way to the left on the selector hooked you up to the doppler. A full ILS was nothing like the glass planes, but it did a good enough job to get you close to the ground for CAT-I and later CAT-II - that was it!

You should get this plane as it is a great flying plane and you can indeed fly shorter legs as we did in the real plane. KJFK to KPIT, or KCMH were standard. Most of the time it was done in a -131B which was a rocket ship, but the -300B would do just about anything. Oh course, long haul flights are what this plane was made for.

Bummer that you won't be east for the AVSIM deal.  Sad

Colvale, I also did some nav stuff in this forum for the 727. Both planes were pretty much the same with VOR to VOR flying.

Lou

IP Logged

Colvale

Reply #29 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Capt Lou,if it is not too much trouble, can you kindly run me through capturing the VOC/LOC and G/S as last night I was approaching YMML,night flight,set the ILS frequency in the NAV1 radio of 109.30,and at 2000ft selected VOR/LOC on the 2D AP pop-out panel,and yet the a/c did not track that beam.I had to hand land it eventually. Was I doing something wrong?

I have done autolands with several of the glass-cockpit FS9/FSX aircraft capturing the VOR/LOC+ G/S without any probs,yet this one flummoxes me.

You have an incredible skill at being so instructive,hence I'm asking for your help,if it's not too much bother. Thank you in advance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top