Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 130 Send TopicPrint
 25 Lou - STORIES (Read 926882 times)
CoolP

Re: Lou - STORIES
Reply #330 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:49am
Print Post  
boeing247, please don't follow a train which I'm not riding.
Instead, e. g. follow my media examples by using the sites mentioned and you will see the headlines in the top 3 of e. g. Google News.
I didn't pick them with a bias, but randomly. First search word was A380, second was 747.

What I wanted to show? That the simple picking of news and headlines forms up the perception on the reader's end which sometimes isn't related to the real picture at all.
My second paragraph additionally showed that reading the headline alone may form up a wrong picture while the article itself holds a completely different one.

Test yourself, your impression seems to be that e. g. the A380 makes aviation news these days.
Does it? With a simple and open search? I doubt.
But from this thread, it actually does and it even forms an overlay over some deaths with other planes which you didn't know about because nobody around mentioned it.
Caught my point with the 'picking powers'?

Now, as you may recall, even well before the news picking another aspect forms up opinions since newspapers actually report stuff with the big outcome only. Regarding the solved RR engine case on the A380, there wasn't a real media echo, but only a small article.
Not much to pick in the sensational view if things turn out .. boring.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #331 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I had to revise my above posting quite a bit, to just show some of the very basic things towards perception in contrast to real happenings.
But I have to admit that the thread doesn't get better with those things being necessary.

So, as a wish, if somebody posts videos or articles with the intention to give the viewers more than a bias, please add some story to it or at least tell us why you've chosen this pick.

I don't like any 'look, Airbus again' the same way as I don't like 'look, Boeing too' things and I think that all the 'my dad told me' stories are in the same (pointless) category there.
So if there is some interesting story behind things like this, feel free to post it.
LOU wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:39am:
A-380 gets a scrape.

July 22nd A380 scrapes engine during landing at Narita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjqohx-p1Q

Just leaving the fields empty there isn't more than a news pick (see explanation above) and one shouldn't act surprised if people than wonder why exactly this news was chosen.  Wink

Looking at the thread title, some stories are more than welcome regarding any upcoming or already happened cases.
That is, in my eyes, the valuable part of this thread.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #332 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
As for the A-380 video, someone sent me the link and I thought it was interesting, so I posted it under my stories. I don't go looking for these items, but it do think it is of interest when a professional pilot does something like that.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #333 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
It is, Lou, but since there isn't more than a video link, some guys wonder what's the story part then.

You, after being asked, posted your expressions about the senior character of the plane and your expectations towards the crews.
I then wonder why especially this plane tends to trigger such reactions while other news happen too, but don't get seen, as shown.
I still doubt that the crews are intentionally setting up their planes and I also doubt that the mostly former A340 pilots suddenly start to struggle with the Airbus tech.
So please accept my apologies if I use the things I know about to state that at least the impression of a bias actually is present.

I can accept a bias though.
As said, any news around together with an informative statement of an experienced Captain is a valuable part of this thread, but posting the links alone with a 'watch this!' only doesn't fit that value picture in my eyes.

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #334 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
There is no one more bias against Scarebuses than me, if it aint Boeing, I ain't going  Grin

In the words of a friend of mine who flys the Scarebuses now (he flew 1549 the day before it went into the Hudson)....... "Airbuses are second world planes designed to make 3rd rate pilots look good"   Smiley

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #335 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Are you, by chance, Peter's dad and also send news picks to Lou? Sorry for asking, but this would actually explain a lot.  Grin

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #336 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:50pm:
Are you, by chance, Peter's dad and also send news picks to Lou? Sorry for asking, but this would actually explain a lot.  Grin

Me? No...I just don't like Scarebuses, I'm a pilot not an airborne computer monitor   Wink

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #337 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I'll try again CoolP, I still think it is interesting when a professional, of any sort, does something as was shown in the short video. This is no different than a paid baseball player dropping an easy catch. The mention of the senior nature (seniority) of the pilots would get the same reaction no matter which company made the plane. I guess I expect better flying out of experienced pilots.

You will never hear about the real damage to this plane. Any manufacturer would try to minimize the bad press.  I would want the engine mount inspected for damage, as well as the right set of landing gear for side load. I admit, I'm just looking at a grainy video and still picture but I have seen this type of landing before and it would be rare to have no damage other than a scrape of the cowl.

Just my opinion, your mileage my indeed vary... Roll Eyes

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #338 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Nice show, Jay.  Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #339 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:06pm:
I'll try again CoolP, I still think it is interesting when a professional, of any sort, does something as was shown in the short video.

Well, finally, one could trigger an explanation from your end, Lou. Thanks for that.
Your initial post didn't show any at all for whatever reason, so that was a main focus of mine.

Please don't feel offended if a guy notes that your news sources show a certain pattern, especially in regard to other news happening at the same time.
Now, knowing where it came from ('someone sent me the link'), the view on that source surely is more transparent.
I prefer the more wide-angled ones, but, as said, can live with any bias if something useful is the outcome, which isn't hard to achieve on men with knowledge and true confidence.

Your opinions from the pilot's viewpoint therefore are more than welcome here and I e. g. absolutely agree on 'Any manufacturer would try to minimize the bad press.'

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #340 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Lou

I remember several months ago you writing about the River Approach to KDCA. I figure if you landed at KDCA you must have also done takeoffs. I lived in the Washington area from 64-69 and listened to a lot of ATC from DCA. From ATC I was able to figure out a departure from RWY 18 (now 19) was to maintain runway heading until vectors to Casanova VOR, Linden VOR or Front Royal VOR and then on course. The climbout was what the crew calculated to 1000 feet and then the rate had to be reduced to 500 FPM until something like 3000 feet. Do you recall if this was still in effect when you departed to the south?

Thank you
Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #341 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:49am:
boeing247, please don't follow a train which I'm not riding.
Instead, e. g. follow my media examples by using the sites mentioned and you will see the headlines in the top 3 of e. g. Google News.
I didn't pick them with a bias, but randomly. First search word was A380, second was 747.

What I wanted to show? That the simple picking of news and headlines forms up the perception on the reader's end which sometimes isn't related to the real picture at all.
My second paragraph additionally showed that reading the headline alone may form up a wrong picture while the article itself holds a completely different one.

Test yourself, your impression seems to be that e. g. the A380 makes aviation news these days.
Does it? With a simple and open search? I doubt.
But from this thread, it actually does and it even forms an overlay over some deaths with other planes which you didn't know about because nobody around mentioned it.
Caught my point with the 'picking powers'?

Now, as you may recall, even well before the news picking another aspect forms up opinions since newspapers actually report stuff with the big outcome only. Regarding the solved RR engine case on the A380, there wasn't a real media echo, but only a small article.
Not much to pick in the sensational view if things turn out .. boring.

CoolP, that post was not really directed at you. It was just that what you had been saying gave me an opportunity to say some things that I'd wanted to say for awhile.  Smiley

Oh, and the original post by Lou that sparked this doesn't, in my opinion, reflect any shortcoming of the plane. That was all pilot error.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #342 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
No problem there.

Quote:
That was all pilot error.

We don't actually know, nor does anyone else in this thread. And even if it was, the influences to drive pilots into errors of any kind are hard to put in numbers.
As you saw, I'm looking at the simple 'I did expect more of those pilots' in the same way as on every fast summarization, regardless of the speaker.
Assumptions are always valid though, but should be read and clearly marked as such.

I wouldn't, when being asked, assume anything more than I saw. I did saw a plane landing, I saw it scratching one engine or so. End of facts.

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #343 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Yeah, there isn't much to say we should blame the aircraft in this case.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #344 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:19pm:
Yeah, there isn't much to say we should blame the aircraft in this case.

Once again, even if this may compliment the A380, we don't know that.
There so much interesting literature out there about investigations of all kinds and when listing the most common error sources, the 'assuming from thinking to know' is the very first one.

Psychologically it's a though part of work for experienced investigators to 'start new' on every given case by the way. Humans tend to assume from a knowledge basis in the first place, but this isn't (always) helpful when it comes to any scientific work as any 'entry bias' builds up a growing error margin.

Since we guys only have access to that video, we not even have a quality source for anything more than assuming 'I think that engine pod was damaged'.
I know, sort of boring outcome.  Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 130
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top