Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Trim issue reloaded (Read 5508 times)
adam3

Trim issue reloaded
Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Hi Guys,

I just bought this fantastic product and I am very happy with it. Now there is one bothering issue which has been addressed several times in the forum that is hyper trimming. That in my opinion seriously degrades playability. It has been said that the issue was submitted to CaptainSim. Does anyone know if they have been working on it? Does anyone have a fix other than turning on autopilot and use its trimwheel?
Thanx so much!

IP Logged

David Zill

Re: Trim issue reloaded
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this is getting addressed on a patch. I would say the trim on the 707 is a bit more user friendly than the trim on the 727. On the 707, I usually get stabililized on my initial climb, then engage autopilot on control pitch trim with the autopilot pitch trim wheel. On final approach when I disconnect autopilot, a little pressure on the yoke usually gets me to my target descent rate.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.05GHZ&&XFX nForce 780i SLI Motherboard&&(2) EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB   SLI Video Cards&&OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) @833Mhz/ 5-4-4-15/2T&&&&

IP Logged

speck

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Use the trim wheel in the VC, its less sensitive.

IP Logged

Michael2

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
The only complete solution is to trim through a registered version of FSUIPC.  You can then specify the amount of trim for each button press.  The only downside is that the trim sound may get clipped a little depending how much you tone down the amount of trim per button press.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
adam3,

I agree with David Zill the 707 is better than the 727, but I have found that just quick taps on my trim button works for me. If you engage the autopilot without altitude hold, it will trim the elevator for the current pitch attitude and then you can disconnect and hand fly again. Try it and see if that works for you. I think member CoolP has collected many of the gripes including the trim and CS is working on a fix.

BTW, the sound of the trim wheel in the 707 or 727 was VERY loud. We used to joke that the trim wheel was designed by the same engineer that designed the windshield wiper. The noise from the wiper halted all cockpit communications it was soooo loud, and did not do much to clear the windshield either!  Shocked

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 3:51am
Print Post  
I trim my 707 the same as LOU. I "tap" the buttons assigned to trim up and trim down.

That said. Here is how I use it most of the time. When line up on the runway, I set the trim for takeoff. As soon as I have raised the landing gear after takeoff, I hit "Z" to activate the AP (this automatically applies Attitude Hold) and from then on I use the Trim Wheels on the AP to control my 707's attitude for the duration of the climb. I use the same method for descent until Approach and just prior to landing (usually @ DH of 200 feet) when I turn the AP OFF. She lands beautifully most times (depending on weather and such). It works perfectly fine for me using that method.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

wiltzei

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Here´s an alternative way to trim the A/C: http://code.google.com/p/fscode/wiki/RealTrim

IP Logged

adam3

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your great tips. I am glad to learn that CaptainSim is working on the trim fix.
Here is my nugget: I find using the keyboard keys to command the trim is a bit less sensitive that the joystick ones. The tapping rule applies there as well but it is a bit more "friendly" than the absolutly off joytick one.

Thanks again,
adam3

IP Logged

Merlin851526

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
adam3 wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:14am:
Hi Guys,

I just bought this fantastic product and I am very happy with it. Now there is one bothering issue which has been addressed several times in the forum that is hyper trimming. That in my opinion seriously degrades playability. It has been said that the issue was submitted to CaptainSim. Does anyone know if they have been working on it? Does anyone have a fix other than turning on autopilot and use its trimwheel?
Thanx so much!
I have a similar problem.When I engage the autopilot after stabilizing my climb the trim will go into basement and cannot be adjusted via the VC or the shortcut. This happens on turns also, extremely frustrating Angry

IP Logged

highflight

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Merlin851526 wrote on Mar 30th, 2014 at 12:46pm:
adam3 wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:14am:
Hi Guys,

Thanx so much!
I have a similar problem.When I engage the autopilot after stabilizing my climb the trim will go into basement and cannot be adjusted via the VC or the shortcut. This happens on turns also, extremely frustrating Angry

In the 707 its difficult to achieve a stable vertical speed with the "Pilots stabiliser trim wheel" (Big wheel side of centre pedestal) . The small Trim Wheel  "potentiometers" on the Auto Pilot are good for fine tuning when in AP mode with Altitude hold off.

But once you achieve a stable climb/descent manually, if you select AP mode on and Alt Hold off (centre switch position) then you may fine control the vertical speed with these small Trim Wheel (potentiometers) .

I think what's required is a way of transferring the FSX key presses/joystick commands, to the small AP Trim Wheels (potentiometers). That way, fine tuning may be achieved without using the mouse to point, click and roll, which is cumbersome and unrealistic.

In any event once the AP is engaged from a stable climb/descent, there should be no extra elevator movement. The system should  settle at your current attitude.

The aircraft is really challenging and very rewarding to fly well, especially after flying something with "Vertical Speed" in front of you on the glare shield!   Roll Eyes

Cheers
David

On You Tube as David Herky

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top