Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Nose Wheel Steering (Read 6414 times)
Buckrogers

Nose Wheel Steering
Oct 8th, 2010 at 12:58am
Print Post  
I am using rudder that works with other addon aircraft but have noticed that when pushed to turn right or left the wheel moves but then almost instantly returns to the center position.  I thought it might be Yaw Damper issues but tried to turn of the Yaw Damper with the same results.   

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: Nose Wheel Steering
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I am using rudder that works with other addon aircraft but have noticed that when pushed to turn right or left the wheel moves but then almost instantly returns to the center position.  I thought it might be Yaw Damper issues but tried to turn of the Yaw Damper with the same results.

The 707 did not have rudder pedal input to the nose wheel. Steering of the nose wheel was done with a tiller or small half wheel on the Captain's left side panel below the side window. The Captain would use the tiller and steer the nose wheel as necessary. During takeoff, the tiller was used to about 80 KTS, after 80 KTS the rudder was used to keep the aircraft centered on the runway. From the 727 on, the movement of the rudder pedals will produce around 5 degrees of nose wheel steering. The tiller will override any rudder pedal inputs to the nose wheel. The tiller was able to turn the nose wheel to around 78 degrees left or right. The rudder pedals and tiller are spring loaded to the center position so you had to be careful not to let go of the tiller during steering or the nose wheel would snap straight.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Buckrogers

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.  Just to be clear I did notice that the front nose wheel will turn full left or right with the rudder pedals and the handel left of the captains seat.  The problem is after it turns the wheel is released and goes back to neutral position.  I am not sure if this is a glitch with my installation or as you say if it is modeled into the software that I have to hold the handle inside the virtual cockpit to steer the 707.

Let me know if I have that correct?

Thanks

IP Logged

TheFinn

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Ive got no issue with the nosewheel steering. May be another axis of your setup which interferes with your pedals...

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
This is an example of the "simulator" being different from the real plane. In the simulator the movement of the rudder is connected to the nose wheel. If you have rudder pedals like I have, or a twist stick controller, the result is the same - move the rudder the nose wheel moves too. That's just the way FSX is designed.

My rudder pedals (Logitech G940) are spring loaded to return to center as are most joy sticks. If you want to keep turning, you have to keep the turn input or the plane will go straight.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

707captain

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I am suffering the same problem, but only when I start the enginges manually. When I start a new flight with the engines already running, steering of the nosewheel is working without any problem...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top