Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
 25 CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE (Read 326978 times)
mk182

Re: CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE
Reply #225 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 9:26am
Print Post  
sieggie wrote on Jan 11th, 2012 at 12:43am:
If you add the Update indicator to the CDU you get better feedback when you use VOR updating.

[Window06]
size_mm=337,196
background_color=0,0,0
window_pos=0.300, 0.070
position=0
visible=0
ident=11041
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Cdu1,       87,   0, 250, 196
gauge02=../civa/INS!UpdateFlags, 0,   0,  87,  52

As Markoz mentioned, back up the panel.cfg in case you don't like it.

This puts the Indicator at the top left of the CDU. I usually drag all the gauges to the top right so they are out of the way. I have left them separate as the bottom two gauges are only used on start up and the CDU/Update gauge is used constantly and takes up less screen space by itself.

Dave

I'll give it a try. I'm still wrestling with adding the GPS or not. I haven't yet, and don't really want to. I think looking at the shift+4 map is cheating enough.

But, nevertheless I am still playing around with the panel layout, so thank you!!

IP Logged

mk182

Reply #226 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:10am
Print Post  
So, I've started having another problem.

I had programmed five way points at the beginning of my flight with the intention of programming the beginning of a STAR on my TOD in order to get set up for a visual approach to the active runway.

Now, I know how to update the INS while airborne and program way points and I thought that I had this pretty much figured out. Except that when I went to program in the next waypoint my number 1 INS would just keep flashing 0 in the to/from box.  I even tried to tell switch to main #2 INS, but it wouldn't work.

I know from experience that this usually happens when you do something wrong, and most recently I saw it when I was trying to update the INS with a VOR after entering the wrong coordinates for that VOR.

Now I simply wanted to add another way point, and I double checked (even triple checked) everything that I normally do and it still would not fly me to that way point, nor program a new one. It just kept flashing 0. Any idea on what I was doing wrong?

** In the picture I uploaded, nothing is visible in the to/from box, but its just because I happened to press print screen when it was flashing off**

GDWP.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #227 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I don't know if that helps. The Civa Operations Manual states.
7 FROM-TO Display
It’s a two digit display where the pilot is able to insert and read waypoints and DME ID numbers:
1) Two non flashing numbers are the waypoints defining the current navigation leg.
2) A single non flashing number in the FROM side of the display, with Data selector in WAYPT position, shows waypoint ID being displayed on data displays.
3) A  single  flashing  number  in  the  FROM  side  of  the  display,  with  Data  selector in WAYPT position, shows the selected waypoint is involved in the leg currently being
shown.
4) A flashing number in the TO side of the display defines the DME station designed for DME updating.

Now when knowing on which side the '0' was flashing, you may get a clue on the mode the unit was in. However, a zero isn't a real waypoint, it's your current position. So you may have ended up on a clueless #1 unit, only knowing about the current position.

Can you perform a direct-to to your waypoint #6?
That would be
WY PT CHG
0-6
INSERT

This forces the unit to fly directly to the #6 waypoint, starting from your current position, hence the 0 'to' 6 entry.

But try this one first.
You may still be in the DME update mode. So things you enter there don't alter anything on the actual flight path, but only on the update stations.
Leave that mode with moving the Data Selector away from WAY PT and DIS/TIME. You'll see if you are out of the DME update mode when the flashing of the digit has stopped.

IP Logged

mk182

Reply #228 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jan 16th, 2012 at 11:46am:
I don't know if that helps. The Civa Operations Manual states.
7 FROM-TO Display
It’s a two digit display where the pilot is able to insert and read waypoints and DME ID numbers:
1) Two non flashing numbers are the waypoints defining the current navigation leg.
2) A single non flashing number in the FROM side of the display, with Data selector in WAYPT position, shows waypoint ID being displayed on data displays.
3) A  single  flashing  number  in  the  FROM  side  of  the  display,  with  Data  selector in WAYPT position, shows the selected waypoint is involved in the leg currently being
shown.
4) A flashing number in the TO side of the display defines the DME station designed for DME updating.

Now when knowing on which side the '0' was flashing, you may get a clue on the mode the unit was in. However, a zero isn't a real waypoint, it's your current position. So you may have ended up on a clueless #1 unit, only knowing about the current position.

That would be
WY PT CHG
0-6
INSERT

This forces the unit to fly directly to the #6 waypoint, starting from your current position, hence the 0 'to' 6 entry.

But try this one first.
You may still be in the DME update mode. So things you enter there don't alter anything on the actual flight path, but only on the update stations.
Leave that mode with moving the Data Selector away from WAY PT and DIS/TIME. You'll see if you are out of the DME update mode when the flashing of the digit has stopped.

Yea, I was in update mode, but I was updating the #2 INS. I was also able to add the waypoint in the #2 INS, its just the #1 that was unresponsive.

Quote:
That would be
WY PT CHG
0-6
INSERT

I tried it a few times, and not only in the #6 spot, but in a few others, and it would always just go back to a flashing zero.

I'll see if it happens again when I'm in update mode, and if so I'll stop updating and give it a try.

Thanks for your quick reply!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #229 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Hi, vans.
Quote:
however the height indicator on MHPDI when on ILS doesn't move up or down

Are you speaking about the glideslope indicator? I'm way below the GS on this shot for example. But it works with the Civa INS in the panel.cfg.

Here's a thread on a problem with the indicator not showing up. Does it help?
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1300469217

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #230 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
I think that's where the CS devs needed the input from the Civa ones. You currently only see the FSX coordinates on the VC unit.

IP Logged

sieggie

Reply #231 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
vans wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:54am:
Ah OK. It was a line provided on the first page of this thread - a virtual cockpit entry for the cfg -  gauge 27; I just wondered about that,  but it isn't what I thought it to be. No problem. I'm happy with the 2D panel - I just noticed earlier  when the warning light illuminated on the 2D it also illuminated on my VC unit and wondered if the digit display should be 'mimiking' the 2D.
Thanks again anyway for your help.

Moving the gauge to the vc allows the CIVA to work immediately. If you leave it in the window0 section, you must open the Icons tool before the CIVA can be used.

IP Logged

Morten

Reply #232 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 4:17am
Print Post  
I'm following the manual on alignment exactly - but getting a "Warning" and the CDU wont count down, from 9 to 0.
What is happening?  Angry

(I'm using CoolP's double Civa setup)

Gigabyte X58AUD7.OC i7-930@4.2.Mushkin Red Line, PC3-1600 CL6(3x2G).Dell stock HDD640GB,2x320GB Non raid, WD Raptor 300GB (for FSX).2xAssus ATI 5870. 2x Matrox Triple2Go. Win7 Ult, 64 bit. 10 monitors

IP Logged

Jettrader

Reply #233 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Morten wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 4:17am:
I'm following the manual on alignment exactly - but getting a "Warning" and the CDU wont count down, from 9 to 0.
What is happening?  Angry

(I'm using CoolP's double Civa setup)  

Can you describe the steps on the alignment you followed?

Things to check:
-Be sure the parking brake is set and the engines are off!

-Cancel the warnings you get (maybe due to position disagreement) before aligning

IP Logged

sieggie

Reply #234 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Does it count down at all or does it stay at 9 forever?

Dave

IP Logged

Morten

Reply #235 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Thanks for trying to help me!

- The 707 starts from Cold'n'dark standard loaded file
- Parking brake is set. Battery and avionics are on.
- Warnings are canceled through pressing the Test Button down (don't know of any further cancellation method) before alignment.

Still the red Warning lamp starts to light up as soon as I have entered the position and when turned to DSRTK/STS the API is still not moving down from 95.

However I did accidentally discover some change when after the warning I'd rotated back from DSRTK/STS to Pos and from Align to STBY and then all back again to DSRTK/STS and Align - then the Warning light disappeared and the API digits now would move down - but not further down than 65 in any case, which obviously is insufficient in order to get a "green ready" light - it should be at least 5 as I've learned.

What the heck is going on?  Embarrassed  

Gigabyte X58AUD7.OC i7-930@4.2.Mushkin Red Line, PC3-1600 CL6(3x2G).Dell stock HDD640GB,2x320GB Non raid, WD Raptor 300GB (for FSX).2xAssus ATI 5870. 2x Matrox Triple2Go. Win7 Ult, 64 bit. 10 monitors

IP Logged

Jettrader

Reply #236 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 8:59am
Print Post  
You got to be patient - alignment can take up to 15 minutes and sometimes it seems that it gets stuck at t, but just wait and it eventually will move down further.

The red light after entering the position indicates that your last aircraft position differs from your current position by more than two miles. To "reset" the memory of the INS, delete the corresponding .isd file in the civa folder (csx701.isd).

If you're not paitent to wait the 15 minutes for the align process, you can click the top right screw on the MSU after you set it to Align and it will "fast align" (sort of a cheat) - the amount of alignment time will reduce significantly, yet it will still take a longer pause at a PI of 6 before going down to 5

And last but not least: Make sure you have external power connected to the aircraft, otherwise your batteries might drain which might influence the alignment process

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #237 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:14am
Print Post  
If you're not paitent to wait the 15 minutes for the align process, you can click the top right screw on the MSU after you set it to Align and it will "fast align" (sort of a cheat)
Yes, mind that one. Highly recommended.

If it stays at a certain performance index and the green 'nav ready' light doesn't come on, you may have entered the coordinates the wrong way. I think this arises with the FSX display format. People often seem to miss a zero ('0') when entering coordinates due to the way FSX 'displays' them by leaving them out. Stating this because that was my major problem on the first attempts and I often see it happening when folks learn the INS.

When using the double INS setup, both units must get the same input data. This sounds easy, but if you mix up some numbers when clicking too fast, errors likely occur.
If you still receive errors, please post a screenshot where we can see the coordinates from FSX and the ones you've entered in the INS. That helps on judging about the data format, means the missing zero and things.

If all of the above isn't helping, reset the INS by deleting the isd file in the Civa folder. You'll get some fresh units on the next FSX start. Maybe the file got corrupted.

IP Logged

Morten

Reply #238 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I read the Civas Manual forward and backward and already did all what you guys proposed, from day one! - except for deleting the isd. files which I then did today - half a six pack/1 hour later, staring into the blue.., absolutely NOTHING happens - still stuck by "65" instead of 5..!!

So I guess it must have something to do with some sort of syntax error regarding to the insertion of coordinates into this middle age contraption - or whatever...bullocks!!

IP Logged

Jettrader

Reply #239 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:11am
Print Post  
how long did you wait during the alignment?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top