Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
 25 CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE (Read 326959 times)
Markoz
CS Team

Re: CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE
Reply #180 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 3:21am
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 12:29am:
but when I see that my problem has some logical nature, I stop the thing and approach it on the next day or so, after sleeping some time. There are days where you don't see or get a thing although it's clearly there. Next day, fresh eyes and mind, easy to catch.

Spot on CoolP! If you get bogged down chasing a problem, you get flustered. Once you get flustered, you are bound to fail because you are no longer thinking clearly/rationally. Walk away, calm down, THEN come back and try again. Better yet, waiting until the next day (after a sleep) is a great idea. Like CoolP says. Smiley

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

SoulFlight

CIVA INS and HDG mode
Reply #181 - May 20th, 2011 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I recently try to learn how to use the CIVA INS and followed a youtube tutorial on how to get it steer my 707. Aligning and entering waypoints works fine so far but I have problems actually making it control my aircraft.

-when i switch one unit on and the AP to HDG mode, the AP continues to follow the manually entered heading, as if the cmd switches of my INS did not have an effect.

-in-flight position updates with VORs are not working, the green update light does not light up.

my thoughts are that I have overlooked a setup step for making the INS work correctly on the 707.

anyone got an idea what this could be?

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: CIVA INS and HDG mode
Reply #182 - May 20th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
SoulFlight, there's a dedicated Civa INS thread in this forum. Find it here, just one page away. http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1285100008  Cool
The 707 has a INS/Doppler switch and is driven by the Civa in AP "Nav" mode only, when that switch is set to INS.
You will find that being explained in the mentioned thread, so apologies for my short answer with the big, big recommendation to dive into that thread and find out about e. g. DME updates and procedures. 

Feel free to post any new Civa related question there, but please take the time to search for already given answers.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pinatubo

Reply #183 - May 20th, 2011 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Hi,

1) There is a switch to toggle between [DOPPLER] and [INS] navigation system. It is located at Left Forward Panel below the clock (see Flight Manual Part II – Aircraft and Systems pages 8, 22, 40 and 50..

By default, it is [DOPPLER]. Did you toggle it to [INS] before go to [AP] > [NAV]?

[DOPPLER]
- Autopilot in NAV mode tracks Doppler Navigation System
- Heading Bug on Captain's HSI controlled by HSI Heading Selector

[INS]
- Autopilot in NAV mode tracks CIVA INS
- Heading Bug on Captain's HSI controlled by CIVA INS

2) Check if [CIVA-INS Control Panel] at Overhead Panel is turned to [NAV] and the Ready Nav Green Light is ON.

Hope this help,

Pinatubo.

My fleet (CS and from others developers):

L1011; B777-200/F; B777-200/F (LR); MD-11/F;B737-600/700/800/900NG; B767-300/200/F/KC ; B757-300/200/F ; C130 X-perience All-In-One; B707-300/300C; B727-100/200; B737-200/200ADV; WX Radar

IP Logged

SoulFlight

Reply #184 - May 20th, 2011 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Well it seems to work after I pressed the key assigned to "NAV/GPS change"....but only for a few hours then it stopped updating as well.

Also I don't know what the sense of an INS is when I have to use a VOR to recalibrate it every 20 minutes. Then I can as well stick to VOR navigation.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #185 - May 20th, 2011 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
The FMC birds use DME too to check and calibrate their data. Watch the autotuned stations there. They are not only used for rough estimates.
It's a difference if you can monitor external nav sources and relative positions to them or if you have an internal nav source which tells you where you are, just by calculating and watching some gyros.
Well, those sources and systems are coupled today, so a GPS works together with an IRS, getting checked with DME to achieve a high level of accuracy and also failsafe operation.
VOR broken or in maintenance? The INS will still be fine with any other DME it can receive while showing your position on a digital display instead of using a fluctuating needle on an analogue gauge.

With a VOR you can fly radial 212 until 12nm out and then turn left 30 degrees. With an INS (calibrated through any DME in 200nm range), you can fly spot on any given coordinate you enter.
It also shows you the current wind, your offset, your GS and can calculate times, speeds and headings between waypoints.
Enter any fictional waypoint of a fancy RNAV procedure and it will show and guide you to it while the VOR guy has to set up his radials to get to N 44 47.2 W 063 18.1 and may miss it when speaking about accuracy.

The INS also guides you when there's no VOR in range. It runs down on accuracy slowly, but you always have your very own nav source on board. With three units, they also crosscheck and enhance each other.

Man, I could sell those things.  Grin
But agree, you have to like these old 7 digit boxes when you operate them in the sim, where all VORs are working, where needles rarely fluctuate and where nobody gets harmed if you miss a spot.
But after a while, they will show more use than just entertaining you with their need to get an update, that's for sure.  Cheesy

IP Logged

SoulFlight

Reply #186 - May 20th, 2011 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Ok, I'm doing something wrong then, I recalibrate, fly a leg of 300 miles, after 150 miles the new VOR is not in range but accuracy is down to 6 or something, which brings me off course good.

Also I noticed on the 707 you have to turn the autopilot mode select knob once and back to HDG, otherwise an INS programmed course change will not happen.

DAMMIT.....I used HDG mode like the tutorial told me, but in the 707 its the darn NAV MODE i need..... Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #187 - May 21st, 2011 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Also I noticed on the 707 you have to turn the autopilot mode select knob once and back to HDG, otherwise an INS programmed course change will not happen.
That indeed sounds something strange since the 707 does fine on "Nav" with the Civa. No back and forth with the "HDG" mode necessary.

I used HDG mode like the tutorial told me, but in the 707 its the darn NAV MODE i need
Are you speaking of the general Civa tutorial there? Well, some planes use the Nav mode, others stay on the heading one.
But the 707 manual states the need for "Nav" I think.

IP Logged

SoulFlight

Reply #188 - May 26th, 2011 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Well maybe it does, I read the manual of the 707 5 months ago and installed the CIVA INS a week ago....

Anyways: is there a way to reset the entire INS unit so that all entered data is deleted? because mine seems to store slightly off coordinated all the time an thats a bit confusing.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #189 - May 26th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
That thing stores the last state in some .isd file in the Civa folder. You can delete or move it to force a fresh unit on next startup.

IP Logged

Mric29

Reply #190 - May 29th, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Mric29 wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:32pm:
CoolP wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 2:35am:
Why would you want to do that?

But to answer your question: Yes, you could remove the texture showing up there but the 3D model (the elevation of the knobs for example) will stay as it's in the model of the plane. So you would have some black hole with a 3D structure then, if I'm assuming right.

Does the nice looking VC unit annoy or distract you? I still like it although it's a dummy unit with just some lights on.

I kept the old 3D model in 'csx701_1000' so I'm going to put it back. I don't know how to use correctly CIVA INS, so it's useless and ugly.

Sorry for that, CIVA is amazing it works fine with Planconverter !  Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #191 - May 29th, 2011 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Yes, that's a nice freeware which really helps us sim guys to enjoy the ADEU reader.
Glad you like it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Richard Portier

Reply #192 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Where may I find a panel.cfg with all gauges installed for the B727 please.
By now I have just CIVA-CS_B727-100.zip but there are just CDU and MSU into the panel.cfg, not ADEU, Battery Parallel switch. etc...etc

I searched everywhere in the forum  Cheesy but no way except the CIVA-CS_B727-100.zip file. I'm not experimented with panel.cfg.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc @ 4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770|M16GB|Windows 7 Ultimate 64|Fsx Accel|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #193 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 3:02am
Print Post  
I've done a tutorial for the 727 here. http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286031420/0#0

Does that help?

IP Logged

Richard Portier

Reply #194 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Hi CoolP,

Thank you very much for your tutorial. All is fine with the 100 model. For the 200 model I'll do it later. By now, I learn to manage the beast   Wink...

Regards,

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc @ 4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770|M16GB|Windows 7 Ultimate 64|Fsx Accel|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top