Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 How to make an approach + autoland ? (Read 22969 times)
greg765

How to make an approach + autoland ?
Jul 11th, 2010 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Well, I don't know how to make an approach.

I know how to start the plane, take off, follow the waypoints with VNAV and LNAV.

Could someone explain how to pilot the plane from the top of descent to the touchdown ?

When must I press on "SPD" ?
Why do we have to enter the altitude in the glareshield , enven if it is written in the legs page of the FMS ?

Could someone make a little tutorial about how to make a good approach and landing ?
That would help me a lot, and I guess that I'm not the only one !

(It can be a tutorial with text only, or text + screenshots (better) or even a video)

Please, help me , my passengers will panic if the learn that I don't know how to land correctly ! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paul787

Re: How to make an approach + autoland ?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Check it out. This video shows 757, but both planes share similar procedures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtSzkO7yAQ&feature=related

Have fun

Paul P. Kawalec - KORD - Chicago O'Hare International Airport&&&&Last Flight:&&6-11-11 - B737-700 - Southwest Airlines #2139 - KMDW -> KTPA&&

IP Logged

greg765

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks, but I always know that video.

But I have problem when I am on descent, and that's the reason why I'd like to have another tutorial.

I must miss something.
I well understand the tutorial from startup to T/D, but after TD I'm lost !

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Greg,

From Top Of Descent, you need to get to somewhere 12 - 20 miles from the threshold of the runway on an intercept course to the extended centerline at about 2500 feet, or at any rate below the glide slope, and at a reasonable speed, say no greater than 210 knots.  How you do that is up to you.

You can follow ATC.  FSX has it, or you can use a superior third-party program like Radar Contact.  Either one will get you to where you need to go.  Or you can use a procedure chart.  That is a STAR picked from your arrival page in the FMC.  You will want a seamless transition from your route to your approach.  It will have a transition, which should be the very last waypoint on your route.  (It helps a lot if you have the latest Navigraph nav data and charts.)

You are wanting to intercept the localizer at something less than a 45 degree angle and below the glide slope at a speed of VREF 30 + 40 knots.  (You find your Vref 30 speed on your approach page of your FMC, then just add 40.  It will probably be somewhere around 180 knots.)  I have my flaps at 15 at that point, ready to go to 20 once the glide slope is intercepted and the gear goes down.

You will probably be controlling your direction of flight by the heading knob.  That's fine.  If you have LOC pushed, it will automatically override it and steer you toward the runway.

It will do that if, that is, you are tuned into the localizer and have the proper course dialed in.  You can get the information from your approach page on the FMC.  Actually, it should tune your nav radio automatically, but you'll want to check it on the console to make sure.  (There is no law against manually doing this, either.)

Now, imagine you are just before the point described above.  You are coming in at 180 knots, at 2500 feet, well below the glide slope, on an intercept course for the localizer.  You have heading engaged, the LOC button pushed.  Flaps are at 15.  You have previously checked to make sure your nav radio is tuned to the localizer.

Just before you cross the extended centerline, the autopilot should start doing its magic and the airplane will turn toward the runway.  At this point you are still well below the glideslope.  If not, you should have started further out!  Once you are established on the localizer, hit the APP button.  This will allow the glide slope to be captured.  Eventually you will see the glide slope indicator start to creep down.  When it is approaching the middle, go ahead and add 20 flaps and put your gear down.  Keep your speed steady at this point.  You SHOULD begin to follow the glide slope down now. 

Now lower your speed to your VREF + 5 and extend to full flaps, making sure your approach is stable.

Typical gotchas are coming in TOO HIGH, or TOO FAST or, most likely BOTH TOO HIGH and TOO FAST!

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

greg765

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your answer Tim Smiley

Yes, I am using navigraph data for my approaches.(Airac 1007, the last one)
-------------
Questions :

1/So when I arrive on the T/D (STAR already selected), I've seen on the video that I must set the altitude of the next WP in the glareshield. Is it really necessary ? Because at this time, I am still in VNAV and LNAV, so I shouldn't need it, no ? Why do I have to enter the altitude of each WP ? Wouldn't it be better to directly enter an altitude of around 2500ft for the loc intercept ?

2/Must I tune the frequency of the ILS manually when approaching, or is it automatic ?

3/How do I know when the LOC/GLIDE are intercepted by my plane ?

-------------
So, if I understand what you said (I'm French and bad in English so I want to be sure to understand well), when approaching the runway, to intercept the ILS (LOC first),I must : reduce my speed to Vref+30 (with spd button on the glareshield, is that correct ?), set flaps around 15,and have an altitude of 2500ft(Altitude hold of 2500 in the Glareshield, is that correct ?).Then, I must push on LOC and the plane will automatically align with the runway.Then, flying towards the runway, I must push on "Appr" button, the plane should capture the glide path of ILS, and all I have is slow down to Vref+5, set flaps in landing configuration (as given in FMC), lower the gear, arm spoilers and that's all.Is that it ? Am I wrong somewhere ?

Thanks for your answers , that's nice  Smiley

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
greg765 wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 2:25pm:
Thanks for your answer Tim Smiley

Yes, I am using navigraph data for my approaches.(Airac 1007, the last one)
-------------
Questions :

1/So when I arrive on the T/D (STAR already selected), I've seen on the video that I must set the altitude of the next WP in the glareshield. Is it really necessary ? Because at this time, I am still in VNAV and LNAV, so I shouldn't need it, no ? Why do I have to enter the altitude of each WP ? Wouldn't it be better to directly enter an altitude of around 2500ft for the loc intercept ?

2/Must I tune the frequency of the ILS manually when approaching, or is it automatic ?

3/How do I know when the LOC/GLIDE are intercepted by my plane ?

-------------
So, if I understand what you said (I'm French and bad in English so I want to be sure to understand well), when approaching the runway, to intercept the ILS (LOC first),I must : reduce my speed to Vref+30 (with spd button on the glareshield, is that correct ?), set flaps around 15,and have an altitude of 2500ft(Altitude hold of 2500 in the Glareshield, is that correct ?).Then, I must push on LOC and the plane will automatically align with the runway.Then, flying towards the runway, I must push on "Appr" button, the plane should capture the glide path of ILS, and all I have is slow down to Vref+5, set flaps in landing configuration (as given in FMC), lower the gear, arm spoilers and that's all.Is that it ? Am I wrong somewhere ?

Thanks for your answers , that's nice Smiley

Setting the next altitude on the MCP provides a "hard floor" if you want to make sure you don't blow through altitude constraints.  But your autopilot should descend properly and respect altitude constaints of the STAR, so it is not absolutely necessary.  I usually dial down to 10,000 feet because that is where a lot is going to happen and I wouldn't want to miss it. 

After that, if you want to be sure you don't blow through altitude constratins, you can add the safety measure of putting the next one into your MCP, although the autopilot should handle them properly.

The ILS should tune automatically.  I go to the nav radio page and select it, then put it back in the line so that it is displayed bigger.  Just make sure it is correctly displaying in the windows on your console: frequency and course.

There are a couple of ways you will know when you intercept the localizer and the glide slope.  The most obvious is that your airplane will turn by itself, and start to lose altitude by itself.  You will also see -- I think -- LOC and G/S display in green in your PFD once captured.

Reduce your speed to VREF 30 + 40 knots, not VREF + 30.  VREF 30 is the speed you should be going at 30 flaps, which may or may not be your VREF.  That value is found on the very handy approach page.  (You enter your flaps and speed in the vacant line, btw.)

The biggest "gotcha" with glide slope is not intercepting from below.  If you are above the glide slope you have little chance of interceptping it.

Let me know if you nail your next instrument approach.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
One more thing: at 30 nm from your destination airport you need to be at 10,000 and going 250 knots.  To make sure you do this, you can use this trick:

Create a fix at your destination with no bearing, just distance, like this:

KDFW
/30

You should see a dashed ring around Dallas Fort Worth Airport -- it will be 30 nm in radius.  This is a big help to get you down low and slow enough.  Make sure you are at 10,000 and 250 before you cross that line.

IP Logged

Raymar99

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Very nice stuff there, Tim.  Make sure you save it for a future tutorial that I'm sure you will be writing on day.  Cheesy

RayM

IP Logged

greg765

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Another question :

Do I have to disengage AP when I'm very close from the runway, or will the plane make the flare by itself, an pilot the plane to touch-down ?

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
You do not have to disengage autopilot if you are making an autoland approach (three AP buttons illuminated).  As long as you have done everything properly it will fly right down to the runway.  Many report a near absence of flare and in any event you can expect a -400+ FPM touchdown on fully automatic.  I make nearly all of mine autoland though.

IP Logged

greg765

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Ok, thanks for the answer Smiley

When I fly, I push on one AP button, so when landing, do I have to push the two others or is it automatic ?

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
It is "automagic"  Smiley

IP Logged

greg765

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Ok, thanks a lot !  Wink

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Tim Capps wrote on Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:25pm:
You do not have to disengage autopilot if you are making an autoland approach (three AP buttons illuminated). As long as you have done everything properly it will fly right down to the runway. Many report a near absence of flare and in any event you can expect a -400+ FPM touchdown on fully automatic. I make nearly all of mine autoland though.

Even though ths is a simulation I still can't bring myself around to letting a computer land my machine for me.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Cappy wrote on Jul 15th, 2010 at 2:44pm:
Tim Capps wrote on Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:25pm:
You do not have to disengage autopilot if you are making an autoland approach (three AP buttons illuminated). As long as you have done everything properly it will fly right down to the runway. Many report a near absence of flare and in any event you can expect a -400+ FPM touchdown on fully automatic. I make nearly all of mine autoland though.

Even though ths is a simulation I still can't bring myself around to letting a computer land my machine for me.

I know what you mean, but I have other airplanes I like to land myself.  There's just something really cool about watching the airplane do an automated landing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top