25 Flaps & Slats (Read 26349 times)
LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Flaps & Slats
Mar 23rd, 2010 at 12:53am
Print Post  
How about a quick look at Leading Edge Flaps and Slats on the 727 wing.

Here is a look at the underside of the 727 wing
showing all the leading edge slats and flaps extended.
Flaps 5 degrees is selected in the cockpit.
The trailing edge flaps are also at 5 degrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you look at the F/E Aux panel on the P-6 wall to the right of the F/E panel
you will see a check unit for the leading edge flaps & slats.
The panel has a amber in transit light and a green locked extended
light to show the position of the device.

In this photo it shows all the lights being tested.
The lights are a bit washed out in the photo, but the top lights
are the green and the lower are the amber.

As you select flaps 2 degrees the trailing edge flaps move
to the 2 degree position and the critical slats (2, 3, 6 & 7) extend and lock.
The slats are from aircraft left to right 1,2,3,4 - 5,6,7,8
In this front view, slat 1 is to the right as you view the image.

In this photo the flaps are at 2 degrees and the critical slats are extended and locked.

As you select flaps 5 degrees the remaining slats (1,4 - 5 & 8) and the Kruger inboard flaps extend.
The Kruger flaps are flat leading edge devices that rotate out from under the wing and
extend down and somewhat forward of the leading edge. They are at the thick part of the wing root.
The slats slide forward off the leading edge of the wing and are more aerodynamic than the inboard leading edge flaps.
If you look at the 747 wing you will see that the leading edge devices are a type of the Kruger flap in that they rotate out
from under the leading edge as opposed to sliding forward off the leading edge.
The DC-9/MD-80 wing leading edge has all slats.

Here is the test panel showing ALL the leading edge flaps and slats extended.

Each leading device had its own hydraulic actuator and was locked up and down.
There was a check list of failure and faults of both the leading edge and trailing flaps.
There was a speed additive for various devices that did not extend.

All the leading edge devices have the ability to melt ice
as hot engine air is ducted through the wing leading edge
while they are retracted.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Re: Flaps & Slats
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 1:27am
Print Post  
This description is excellent but is not complete without talking about the leading edge flap agreement lights up front on the panel.

I had a checkride question I liked to ask that almost nobody ever answered correctly..... If you have lost A system hydraulics and need to extend the flaps you need to use the alt flap extension switches. The abnormal checklist will tell you to put the flap handle in the flap setting you want and then use the switches to extend the flaps/slats. You put the flap handle in flaps 2 position and extend the flaps/slats to 2 on the indicator but you get a LE flap amber disagreement light. What do you do.....

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Yo JP a trick question  Grin

By putting the flap handle in the flaps 2 degrees position you will get a disagreement (amber) light because you used the Alternate Flap switches on the overhead panel.

1. Open the guard and flip the switch to ON. This arms the two alt flap switches.
2. Place the flap handle to the desired position. If you place the handle to flaps 2 instead of flaps 5, you will get an amber light because when you hit either alt flap switch to extend you are using baffle side of B system fluid to extend ALL the leading edge devices at once. Once they are extended, that's where they stay since they are locked down. It would take A system pressure to unlock them and retract. The trailing edge flaps are extended by electric motors and take a while. Once the leading edge devices are extended, place the flap handle to match the TE flap position as they are extended via the alternate system

Another question could be, how many ways can you get the stand-by pump to run???  Wink

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
That is very interesting gents! Sounds like a lot of moving parts and things that can go wrong! I think about JP's icing story in the other thread.

Lou, were you the lead Boeing engineer that worked on the design?  Smiley

How the heck you guys remember all this is amazing. These are very interesting posts. Hope you continue them!

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
This information from you former 727 pilots is simply "The Best"!

This kind of information is giving me a real insight into how to fly this plane with as much realism as I can ever hope to do. Keep it coming. I'm all ears!

My admiration for Airline Pilots has increased even more through the stories you all are telling. And also, the things you all have to know to fly them and to keep them flying.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

delta dog

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
It's nice to see that guys like Bruce and Mark have such interest the details.
When flaps are up or in the 2 degree position only the inboard ailerons move and when 5 degrees or more are selected the outboard ailerons also move. This increases roll sensitivity at lower airspeeds. Also when the ailerons are deflected more than 10 degrees on the yoke the flight spoilers will come up on the side which you are turning.
Notice on the top of the yoke there are numbers 0, 10, 20. It's very important to know that you don't have 10 or more degrees input [spoilers up] when you lose an engine on takeoff. Rudder is required to keep straight, not aileron. The spoilers will degrade eng out performance.
The sim is not correct as the outboard ailerons always move.
Hope this helps.
Tom

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Truly fascinating reading, gents! I don't know that I will retain a lot of it, but I do enjoy reading these comments and getting the tips. The complexity is mind boggling. Why I am so captivated is a mystery to me. To this day, even after 50 years as a pax, when I go somewhere I walk around from gate to gate looking at the different airplanes and watch them taxi. Especially at the gateways like SFO/LAX/MIA/JFK/ORD etc. When I fly UA I listen to atc from block to block and can not understand a lot of it even though I know what to listen for!

Bruce

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Bruce,
Thought you might like to see a landing in a 727-200 at STL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ErZ1nakd0
Not as nice as your video, but you can see how much busy work there is in the cockpit.
Note the noise from the main stab trim wheel when he trims.
You will also hear some of the call outs during the approach.
Lou

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Lou -

Magic! Pure magic! That can't be by design! Total mystery! Thanks.

I worked for Frontier Horizon here in DEN for the only year of their existence ----1984. I got to know most of the flite crews and, as a result, I got to ride the jump seat about a dozen times. We had 7 722s and our rtes were DEN to SFO/ORD/LGA/IAD/TPA/MCO. It was a blast. Had no clue what went on up there at the time. Wish I could do it again!

I started a flt today IFR JFK to STL (TWA) and botched it because I was thinking about the video and responding to atc instructions instead of paying attention to business. I was at probably 6-7000 ft over Manhattan when I realized I still had flaps 5! I was so disgusted I quit the flight (because I couldn't use the replay for video) and shut down for the day. I'll refly it tomorrow. We're getting a foot of snow tonight so I'll have the whole day. I have trouble multi-tasking! I'll never be able to do it by the numbers as JP says it's done!!  Embarrassed

Bruce

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 8:41am
Print Post  
That's an easy one Lou.... That would be the "Stby Rudder Switch" or the "Alternate Flap Master Switch" and it uses the fluid in the "Baby B" res. It powers the lower rudder and bypasses system A fluid and hydraulicly extends the Leading edge flaps/slats. Alternate Flap Master uses elecrric motors to extend the flaps.

If you lose A and B hydraulic systesm you lose the upper rudder but still have manual reversion on all the other flight surfaces. Spoilers will be inoperative. The engineer has to get out the gear extension handle Push his seat in get on his hands and knees and crank. 2 turns clockwise to unlock the door uplocks and then clockwise til you get a green light. If I remember correctly.

Remember guys. This is a 3 crew airplane and it takes everyone working as a team to fly this plane. The non flying pilot handles the radios and sets up the approach and some of the checklists. The engineer takes care of the systems, performance and some of the checklists as well and monitors the approach so the two guys up frotn don't kill him.

I started as FE on the DC8 with 300 hrs total time and was upgraded to FO with 230 hrs in the 8. The engineer seat really helped me get to the right seat.  Icouldn;t have gone directly into the right seat and been succesful. It would have been too much for me to handle.

I teach in the simulator and have seen guys with 3000 hours as a flight instructor fail the sim portion. You get 4 hours in the sim before your checkride. 1.5 hours into his training he broke down in the sim and just gave up. He couldn't get used to the pace of things and how much faster they happen in a 727 than a Piper Seminole. I tried to talk him back into the sim, but he said he couldn't and he went back to flight instructuing. Not everyone makes the cut.

There are guys who are  great pilots at 500 hours and some FO's with 4000hrs that will never be upgraded to captain becasue they don't have what it takes. Pilots talk to each other the yask around if they have never flown with you before. Everyone has their favorite crew pairings. Some people work better together than others.

It's not an easy job.

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
JP -

I saved your review of this plane (at least I think it's your review)

http://airlinersim.blogspot.com/2009/03/captain-sim-727-captain.html

You said something to the effect that those who actually want to fly the plane by the book won't like it, but that it was fine for those who just want to make videos. I, no doubt, am in the later category! No way I'll learn all this (I don't even buy green bananas anymore), but following these pop quizzes is really fun and interesting as heck!! It's always a pleasure to watch real pros at work ---especially when they are probing each others depth of knowledge!

Gotta go now-----have a video to make!  Grin

Bruce

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:36am
Print Post  
To put things in perspective it takes about 3 or 4 weeks of class to learn systems. It takes about 3 or 4 hours of studying each day after class is over. It takes many hours in a cockpit procedure trainer learning checklists and panel flows, then 4 hours in the sim to put it all together. 1-2 hour checkride in the sim with a 2-3 hour oral exam. 1 hour LOFT (Line Oriented Fligth Training) in the sim. 3 TO and landings in the aircraft with a checkairman. Then they release you for IOE (Initial Operating Experience) for 25 hours of flying the line with a checkairman. Then after all that is satisfactorly completed you can go fly the line as a biddding crewmember. And then it takes about 4mo of flying to really get comfortable with the plane. Then for captains every 6mo an FO's every year you go back to the sim for another checkride.

To miss all that training and expect to be able to fly the plane profficiently won't happen. My last company had a 2 week sched. We were on fro 2 weeks and off for 2 weeks and even after being off for two weeks it took one or two fligths to get back into the rythm.

I have a TOLD card and some performance charts I could send you that willmake the flying easier.

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 3:34am
Print Post  
JP & Lou  -

Had a terrible day today with this thing!! Leaving JFK @146k lbs I had to nurse it up to FL320. Step climbed very slowly the entire way with full throttle. Above 18000 I could barely keep it over 160KIAS during climb at about 2000 fpm with fluctuations all the way. Took forever. Once level at fl320 it crawled up to 300KIAS and mach .80. Smooth sailing to STL. No problem intercepting the localizer at 2300ft (used the GPS automated approach). Was at 140kias, flaps 30 and 135k lbs. Lined up perfectly with 30L. Things were looking good. GS kicked in and down I went. -- 2 white & 2 red! At about 1000 ft and 125kias things went haywire---again. It quit descending--had to disengaged AP again. As I hand flew to runway it started drifting left again. Seemed like a crosswind, although I had the wind turned off in FSX. This time I went around. Hand flew the entire way at about 3000ft watching the GPS. Finally got it on the ground, but again drifted left. When I got down I noticed that I had flaps 40. Lou advised against that setting, but I was looking good most of the way. Granted I just try to control the airspeed and visually try to keep the *PAPI happy*, but I think there is something programed into FSX or this airplane that makes a normal visual landing darn near impossible!  Smiley

Appreciate the offer of the TOLD card and charts, but I am already in WAY over my head here, and I mean WAY over!

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Hi Bruce.

It's interesting that you are struggling to climb. I would say you had your climb is far too steep! Using the A/P I usually start at around 15 degrees on initial climb the lower it to 10 degrees soon after, and I don't have any trouble climbing to FL290 @ 270 KIAS, but to continue on to FL320 I have to climb at around 27 KIAS and 500 FPM. I think the trick is too lower the nose and gain about 300 KIAS above 10,000 feet so the climb is less of a strain on the plane. Easier said than done in my case!

Don't worry too much though. I have a LOT to learn too.

Keep at it though. It sure is fun even though it can be frustrating if all hell breaks loose!

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:48am
Print Post  
The only issue with landing at flaps 40 is noise abatment. It takes a lot of power to overcome the drag of flaps 40 and that power makes alot of noise. Planes with the Raisbeck Quiet Wing stage III modification had the flap 40 detent blocked off and a placard on the panel. You could enter flaps 40 detent if you raised the guard. Raisbeck also reconfigured the flap settings to optimize lift/drag ratio. Interestingly Raibeck did not touch the engines to meet stage III. It did lower the maximum gorss takeoff weight however and used lower EPR settings.

The TOLD card may make it easier since you know your minimum flap manouvering speeds and your approach speeds. You have to know those. Configure the card once and then always fly at the same weight.

You sure yo uhad all the engines running?  Smiley

The EPR indications aree so screwed up on this simulation. Normal TO EPR at SL at 59 farenheit is about 2.12 EPR and that's firewall power. This plane at firewall power only puts out about 1.93 EPR. The performance modelling concerning power is off as well. The 727 was not a powerful plane, but it is more powerfu lthan CS modelled it. AT MGTOW I used up about 11,000 feet of runway at 13R at JFK. That's not realistic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top