Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
707 (FS9) Takeoff Procedures (Read 4802 times)
Trailboss

707 (FS9) Takeoff Procedures
Jan 21st, 2009 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I've read the manuals and scanned the posted messages, but I don't find an answer to my question:  How long should the takeoff roll be with 50% fuel load, full passenger and cargo load with GTOW of about 250,000 lbs?   Departing from KSEA on the 8500' runway, night time, ambient temp about 40 degrees, wind calm: I used second notch of flaps, set 2 of the 3 turbo switches to START, shut off all 4 bleeds, opened the L and R wing valves.  I held the brakes on while bringing up the power to around 65%, released brakes--and rolled forever while gaining speed.  I rotated at about 7500 feet but didn't unstick until after 8,000 and just barely cleared the approach lights.  I didn't get a good rate of climb for probably 2 or 3 miles from the departure end.  I know the 707 doesn't have nearly the performance of the 737, 757  etc., but should my take off roll have been that long?  Am I missing some steps in the proceedures?

IP Logged

Trailboss

Re: 707 (FS9) Takeoff Procedures
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I continue to have takeoff lack of power.  I changed the gauges to .1 readout using the icon.  At full takeoff power the engine tachs never got above 92% and N2 and all other readings were too low, and takeoff rolls always took me to the very end of various runways.  It seems to me there should be should be a different setting in the aircraft config file, can anyone give me some ideas?

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Yesterdady I dug into the aircraft.config file and found what I believe may be the relevant entries affecting takeoff power.  In the engine section, there is a rated N2 rpm of 10095 and static thrust of 18963.  I queried online the specs for the JT3D-7 engines and found this item:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/4f009e533a1...

For this engine it lists a rated N2 rpm of 10300 and static thrust of 19285. 

Before I had these specs I experimented with changes to the rpm and thrust settings but even with small changs to either of these settings crazy things happened affecting the airport graphics and the 707 actually took off backwards with the throttles at idle and the parking brakes set. 

Should the rpm and thrust in the config file be set to the higher values, and if so, what else must be changed in the config file to avoid screwing up the graphics and performance?

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
In case anyone else has the problem, I found several things that solved my slow takeoffs.  I changed the aircraft.cfg file from N2 tach of 10095 rpm to 10300 but did not change the static thrust.  Then I recalibrated my joysticks (I use 2), and now I easily reach n1 tach of 106% and my 707 rotates and lifts off with a normal takeoff roll even with max payload and 99% fuel load.  I can hold 15 degree nose up pitch and still accellerate and hold normal climb rates.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top