Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233394 times)
FSXHD

Re: FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Reply #90 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Great news!  The reinstall was the trick!  I flew a short flight from Minneapolis to O'Hare.  Successful SID, STAR, and route!  I even successfully did two holds (one of which I actually needed to loose altitude!)!  I will be getting the new AIRAC cycle tonight.  Thanks for all of your time and help!

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #91 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Wow. Many news from the last 24 hours!  Smiley

Tim
No hard feelings Cool. Of course it was not your intention. My first name is Flavio (as on sig) but people on my VA call me Schmid.

It would be great if you could replicate my steps and see if my reports also happens to you.

In a way I have been 'spoiled' by a developer whose add-ons get very near perfection. But my 'bug detector' is not so critical so I fly also not so perfect add-ons and I can live with their problems while they do not compromise my flight.

Unfortunately up to now I do not have a reliable 752.

About VNAV? Well, when I learned how to explore all features of a CDU I experienced new horizons on flying. Using VNAV, checking the aircraft progress, letting CDU to set ideal T/C, program a step climb or even a hold is really a must.

If someone uses only for LNAV, all you have is an ugly GPS.  Roll Eyes

Jim:
Thank you for your kind words. I learn a lot on forums and have improved my little knowledge on simming thanks to other pilots help more than official support many times.
Don't worry about your age. I began simming with FS3.0 (installed with a 5 1/4" floopy disk) and learned about FMC usage no more than two years ago. And believe me, it is not so hard to learn as it looks like. And I don't think I'm a dinosaur just because my first rig was a XT.  Grin

FSXHD:
I have reinstalled the aircraft. No changes. Could you please post your route / SID / STAR / FL? Maybe I can try the same procedures and see if I things go fine for me.

Cheers

Schmid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #92 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Where are you from, Flavio?

God willing, I will try out your flight tonight.  I'm looking forward to it because I do not recognize the airports and have no idea in what part of the world I will be in. (Although PANC rings a very tiny bell.)

Since I assume you have the necessary procedure charts, would it be a bother to have you send them to me via email?  I think you can do that here.

My flight: UHMA to PANC - FL310.
BUMUL G212 YUREE H201 OME J111 MIGAN

SID: BUMUL - STAR: TAGER5.MIGAN

So would a fair test be to set it up and just let the airplane fly automated the whole way?

There's a lot to work with in the FMC, I agree, and I don't know that I have come anywhere close to exhausting the features.  LNAV / VNAV, holds, calculated vspeeds & flap settings, ILS info... that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

One thing I've seen on other FMCs is a page to do with climb and cruise performance.  Have I just missed it?  (I am ashamed to admit it, but I still have yet to read that part of the manual, although I have read the other parts.)

The FMC CG is wrong, I believe.  5.75 trim is too much, because the first thing I have to do after take off is trim nose down or I start heading for the moon.  Also a/c rotates by itself, depriving me of the fun.  A suggestion was CG 40 trim 4.5.  I'm going to try that, too.  Apparently, you can count the ticks on the payload page in sim and convert roughly to a scale of 1-100 %, too, to arrive at your real CG.  This will be the next issue I'll be looking into.

Besides the functionality, the one thing I really like about the FMC is how easily it imports FS flight plans and saves company routes.  For whatever reason, others seem to turn this process into something of a dark art, requiring special names, etc. if they do it at all.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #93 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
jim jones wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 5:48pm:
Tim, Ill wait for your expanded review. Curious about what it contains.

OK, I'll look into the circling HOLD. As you say, it could be an enjoyable to experience. Smiley

Keep us posted here on your progress. I'm not quite your age, but I have more gray in moustache than not. This is really a great hobby for those uf us with much life experience behind us. It is not taxing physically (once you get your computer carried into your house) but is very mentally stimulating. There's not only learning new things, but then flight planning.

I have been known to go to absurd lengths, like finding the baggage allowance for the carrier whose livery I am flying, and adding that to the cargo for each of my 150 lb passengers. (Where does the average passenger weigh 150 lbs? Maybe it is a diet comprised solely of rabbit meat Grin I've read that airlines have had to increase avg. wt. because people are getting fatter, and they are none too happy about it.)

The actual flying part throws so much at your brain sometimes, it really gives it a workout.

I can fly a 757 anywhere from a very short London-Manchester route to across the Atlantic. I don't know of a single other airplane that is used is so many roles in real life. Maybe the Airbus A319.

You are very smart to pick one airplane and really explore it.  I tend to get excited and buy several, and never really settle on one long enough to master it.  the 757 is probably the first one I have liked enough to "be faithful to."  But I'm looking forward to the 727, too.  That is going to be a handful, because with no FMC, my brain is going to have to be the computer.

I am glad some people have found my ramblings helpful. I put a lot of time in them, and it is nice to get feedback.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

FSXHD

Reply #94 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Here was my route from KMSP to KORD with a Northwest 757-200:

Dep. Airport: KMSP
SID: Coult2 to DLL
MSN
STAR: JVL5 via MSN
Arrival Airport: KORD

Simplified Version:
KMSP COULT2 DLL MSN JVL5 KORD

All waypoints:
KMSP
COULT
LMFRY
ARTCC
DLL
MSN
GARTT
JVL
LOCEN
TIRRO
BULLZ
TEDDY
KRENA
ORD
(I landed on 32L so that had a bunch of other waypoints)
KORD

@ Tim.

To correctly calculate the CG of the 757, go to the fuel and payload manager.  Next, count how many red lines it is to the center of dot (from top to bottom).  Then divide the number of lines you counted by 32 (total number of red lines).  Then multiply that by 100.  Round your answer to the nearest number.  That is the % that you enter in the FMC.

Hope this helps!

IP Logged

jim jones

Reply #95 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,

Encouraged by your post, I have successfully programmed and flown a HOLD. Needed to add a few steps to your procedure to get it to work for me and had to read up a bit in the manual. But that builds confidence in your help and the manual.

I tend to create simple stuff to test so as not to waste too much time in a sophisticated flight to test a new feature.

I departed from your suggestion a bit just to see what would happen, specifically to NOT use the SPD button in the hold. The leg where the HOLD was inserted had a descent and a slower speed (240). So in the HOLD I experienced both a slow down and an altitude descent. The HOLD was long enough for the alt and speed to achieve the leg goals.

While programming the HOLD it was interesting to watch the HOLD diagram change size with different values of HOLD time to see the distance extent of the loop expand and contract.

One thing I wish the FMC would do would be a reset, to be able to start over if some data was messed up. Now I'm resetting the flight which requires having to redo the intertial stuff. Also I wish there was and undo. Do you know of a trick to reset the FMC without having to reset the flight?

I'll not get even close to your desire to produce such detailed flights. Sorry to admit the shallower depths of my interest. But meantime the experience is fun and I will slowly try new FMC features.

Jim

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #96 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
No need to apologize to anyone for the way you choose to play with your toy airplanes Smiley

Now, see, you have accomplished something I didn't. It ignored my speed restriction, which is why I did it the other way. So that means that the suspected problem in the program is more likely a problem in what I was doing. If I can't get it right, I'll be asking you for help.

Yes, much better to practice stuff a bit at a time, rather than learn at end of a nine hour flight you don't know how to find your flap settings and vref speed!

You might try saving the flight after you got it all set up.  Whether it will save the panel state perfectly or not, I don't know.  Don't forget you can at least save the route that you have created as a company route.  That might save you some work.

As far as just resetting the FMC, that's a good question.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #97 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Attn: Flavio Schmid.

Could you have given me a more obscure airport?   Grin

I can't find charts, so I'll be doing something else to try out VNAV.

Tim

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #98 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
Where are you from, Flavio?

I'm from Rio de Janeiro.

Quote:
So would a fair test be to set it up and just let the airplane fly automated the whole way?

That's the deal, Tim. If I could have this aircraft doing correctly almost the full job, I would consider it reliable.

Quote:
One thing I've seen on other FMCs is a page to do with climb and cruise performance. Have I just missed it? (I am ashamed to admit it, but I still have yet to read that part of the manual, although I have read the other parts.)

Don't be ashame. What is mandatory: a full flightplan without disconnections. Flight level, with or without step climbs which is calculated by CDU. PERF INIT page filled. V1, V2 and VR completed.
Take your time to see about CLB and CRZ but don't worry. CDU will set your best speeds based on GW and CI.

Quote:
The FMC CG is wrong, I believe. 5.75 trim is too much, because the first thing I have to do after take off is trim nose down or I start heading for the moon

CDU calculates your trim based on CG. But you have to set your trim on pedestal panel. I also noticed that aircraft rotates by itself. On a near future I'll include different loads to see its behaviour.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #99 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Hi FSXHD

Quote:
Here was my route from KMSP to KORD with a Northwest 757-200:

Thank you very much. I'll do it tomorrow and report back.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #100 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Hi, Tim.

Quote:
Could you have given me a more obscure airport?

Grin

Come on! Anchorage is a very nice place! And not so unkown... Grin

I'll PM you some charts. Wink

Cheers

Schmid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #101 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Yeah PANC I remembered, but you KNOW I'm talking about the obscure ex-Soviet bomber base in Kamchatka Grin

So yeah, would appreciate the charts Smiley

As for CG, by the "counting ticks on the airplane diagram on the FSX fuel/payload page" method, I get a different CG.  When I program that one into the FMC, I do get a different trim setting.  So I was going to check that out, but ran into the APU failure / engine start bug.

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #102 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 2:05am
Print Post  
The last trial to isolate the FMC problem(s):

1. No problems with SID's although in some cases (KDFW) you do not have all alternatives. Is there any limiation? Faulty AIRAC?

2. When you choose a STAR by selecting ILS RWY XX your speed and altitude keeps the same (for example: .801/FL310) and all waypoints to arrival disappear. This happens to many airports (like KDFW) but not with all of them (like MMMX)

3. One would say - this is an AIRAC problem, report to Navigraph. And I will, but their database is the same for many developers. It would be nice to hear some official statement from CS developers.

4. As ILS approach is useless in many airports, you just have to choose RWY XX to land. That would be ok but sometimes you need to insert some extra waypoints so aircraft can do a smooth turn at enough distance to have time to align correctly to runway (we are not flying a C172 here).

5. When you insert extra waypoints, FMC becomes  crazy and modifies all waypoints altitudes and speeds, changing to CRZ flight level and speed.

That's all for this moment. I'm deeply disappointed because this aircraft has great characteristics for the kind of flight I like to do.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #103 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 6:42am
Print Post  
I printed out the 99 page FMC manual and am studying it.  I have learned quite a bit already.  If you study it, it may or may not help out with some of the issues.

You are not going to get an approach that takes you all the way to the runway with many airports.  You are going to get dumped somewhere near and expect ATC to tell you what to do.  KMIA seems to be this way.  Same for SIDs.  There are some that give you radials to intercept and the like, right from the runway, and others that say "here's a fix.  Pay attention and we'll tell you how to get there."

I read some things that seem to suggest to me that making changes after VNAV descent has begun can change your speeds.  Still studying that.

I've noticed that I can download a procedure from AirNav and then not find it in the procedures database.  I agree that is not a CS issue.  I don't think Navigraph claims to be 100% complete on procedures.  Depending on what you are looking for, aren't there other people who do more for certain areas?

There are very few people I have been able to discuss this stuff with, Schmid.  Whether we agree on the utlimate worth of this airplane to each, at least it is really nice to work together with someone who is giving it an honest chance.  Elsewhere I have found people have pretty much made up their minds before they make their first post.  I am beginning to wonder if some of them actually even own it  Roll Eyes

Right now, I am still willing to give CS the benefit of the doubt based on what I've seen and what I know I don't know  Smiley  Reading the manual is essential though, actually studying it.

Heck, I did the Viru Viru approach to Runway 13R at Santa Cruz, Columbia. It is pretty complicated, involving a high cross over the airport and a loop back around to descend for the ILS.  No problem (although at that time I bailed on the autolanding becuase I hadn't done any yet).

But anyway, thanks for being able to work on this with a good will.  I haven't had time to do the flying I've wanted to.  There are so many things I am trying to nail down.  I got the freight package and had to spend some time playing with the loaders  Cool

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #104 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hello, Tim.

The last thing I want to do is to park this aircraft on hangar forever and I have to last assure there is no interface problem - that one between pilot seat and yoke.  Cool

For example, now I can deal quite well with descent speed as I noticed that flaps 1 can do much better than speedbrakes (that is ineffective, as I stated before). But this is another thread.

There is no reason for, when you choose an ILS approach, as per manual example, to FMC modifies speeds and altitudes, and not giving you the waypoints expected for that specific landing.

I've made this procedure with many other add-ons literally dozens of times and no one does this. It might be a bug on this aircraft.  Sad

And, yes, you may insert some extra waypoints and the FMC shall accept them normally, specially if you set altitude/speed constraints, not doing a mess that we can see on this aircraft.

Example: I made my approach to KDFW by south to land on RWY17L and I could not choose ILS17R approach as FMC did not set the waypoints for this landing.

So I chose 17L - just the runway, and FMC set correctly waypoints, altitudes, speeds. When checking route (plan mode) you can see that you get a very 'tight' base leg, just inside the glide. So I inserted two more waypoints north inbound, to have enough room for wind leg, base leg and align.

When you do this, FMC shall accept the new waypoints and, until you make manual changes, it recalculates automatically speed and altitude to fit with original approach.

At this time, FMC deletes approach waypoints and set cruise speed and altitudes.  Shocked

There is no reason for that and, believe me, although I learn new things every day I am really confident on using FMC.

Cheers

Schmid

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top