Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233295 times)
FSXHD

Re: FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Reply #75 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Just a question: How do you delete a waypoint in the FMC?  That has really puzzled me!

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #76 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Hit your DEL key.  It will show DELETE in the scratch pad.  Then hit the line select key next to the waypoint you want to delete.  (This only works on the LEGS page.)   Poof!  It's gone.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

FSXHD

Reply #77 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Sweet!  You are the CS 757 FMC supergod!

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #78 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Wow, if knowing how the DEL key works qualifies one for godhood, it ain't what it used to be!  But thanks, glad to help out.

As of time of post you can find me on the live ACARS link from the FTG link in my sig, in Miami, now boarding for Atlanta.  See for yourself if automated flight works Smiley  I'll be one of the tiger heads en route.  I've thrown in some weird stuff like holds for fun.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

FSXHD

Reply #79 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Another problem with SIDS:  I loaded a flight plan I got off Flightaware.com into the FMC.  I chose the same SID and route as in the flightplan.  It all showed up perfect in the Legs page, but once airborne, it showed a route discontinuity between the finishing of the SID and the next waypint.  I did what you suggested and in the VIA section of the RTE page to the point where I got off.  It showed a DISCONTINUTY!  Do you recommend me getting the new AIRAC cycle from Navigraph?  I just did a fresh reinstall, and I will report back to you when I next have a chance to try a flight (tomorrow).

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #80 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 3:49am
Print Post  
I assume that as part of your preflight you switched to PLN and looked at your LEGS page in your MCU and used the STEP button (lower right LSK) and did not see any discos when you went through step by step?

It is not unusual to have weird double-backs and strange excursions, usually because I put in the wrong waypoint, or there were duplications or whatever. You catch those before you take off Wink That's what I mean by saying you have to monkey with them until they're right sometimes.

I think a lot of simmers (not you) expect too much from certain equipment. There is no magic button. A good example is descent. VNAV is not your magic "take me home" button. Once you learn how the different ways you can descend work, and what they're each good for, then you can use them sensibly. Now tonight, I do plan to use VNAV, because I'm not fooling with ATC and just want to see what the airplane can do for me.

Anyway, if you had no discos when you left, I don't see how you could suddenly develop one in flight.  (Unless you used your awesome new DEL powers for evil.) If that happened to me, I would just click on the waypoint I was supposed to be going to on my LEGS page, so it showed up in the scratch pad, then hit the top left LSK to go direct. No big deal as far as that goes, but you're flying with something wonky.

For how little the AIRAC cycles cost, and since you can use them in any airplane you have that Navigraph supports (not the same one, but you can download installers for each for just the one price) I would indeed recommend it. I really don't know what the 757 Captain ships with, but I would guess the last free one, which is pretty out of date. Plus, you get a lot of procedures, too, that are pretty reliable. You buy "credits" at Navigraph that you can use to buy your AIRAC cycles, and also procedure charts and even en route charts if you want to, but that costs more. While a lot is available online, there's something to be said for having what you want when you want it, too.

Maybe Navigraph is why I'm enjoying so much success, I don't know.

Hang in there. This is not easy stuff at the beginning. Once you start understanding exactly why things work, it will click for you. Just to make sure about the RTE page, although I used one airway and "exit" a real plan will probably have more, though, and those all have to get entered. You probably know that, but thought I'd mention it.

The STAR I wanted to use tonight was at AirNav, but not in my FMC database. It happens. So I just kind of made my own by combining a STAR I did have with the approach plate for the runway I intend to land on, so I basically wind up at the initial approach fix at the right speed and altitude.

By the way, I cranked up traffic at KMIA and was no. seven for takeoff with other planes landing, in front and behind me. I was getting 20 FPS in spot, 17 looking out the vc window, and 15 on spot during climbout looking at the airport behind me. In cruise I'm getting 25 from the vc and 30+ in spot.

With the sunlight putting all the knobs in the vc in bright relief, and the Atlantic Ocean glistening out the window, it is really a beautiful trip.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #81 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Please don't take this as gloating, but encouragement.  I put the girl through her paces and she performed beautifully.  Was in a L turn holding pattern with 15 nm legs at RIPPI for a half hour, then exited and flew to TD, at which she automatically descended solidly under VNAV.  Just before 10,000 she adjusted speed, then continued on down.  Fully automated landing -296 vs, a little hard, but not flat in the least.  I think nailing your vref speed is helps on the flare issue; she's a little picky about that.

I now no longer have any concerns about automated flight, and I expect it only to get better as I spend more time flying this one.  Delta flies the 757 on short hops like the Miami to Atlanta one I just did, and just opened a 757 route between Pittsburg and Paris.  I may never fly another airplane.  (Well, except the 727, and one of two lovely MD-80s who are feeling neglected.)

For any skeptics, I took a bunch of screen shots as proof.  PM me and I'll send you a link.

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #82 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Tim.

I respectfully disagree with your point of view as what I am experiencing here has nothing to do with bad FSX install.

Yesterday I have made another flight - and I'll do so many as needed to see if and where maybe I'm doing some mistake.

As you probably know, Boeing CDU logical are very similar - for a 73x , 76x or for a 74x. If you learn to use one, you certainly know how to use the others.

My flight: UHMA to PANC - FL310.
BUMUL G212 YUREE H201 OME J111 MIGAN

SID: BUMUL - STAR: TAGER5.MIGAN

I have created my flightplan and imported it to FSX flightplanner. When programming CDU, I imported the flightplan. MIGAN and PANC disappeared. So I inserted them manually.

Bug1: When importing a flightplan, destination airport and last waypoint disappear on LEGS page.

I usually fly on IVAO. Sometimes VATSIM. As you probably know, as you contact ATC at your destination you have information on what runway to land, due to METAR at that moment.

So, inserting arrival information at departing airport is just a guess. Even if you have the METAR at your arrival airport, and let's say, winds are 060, which runway at PANC - 06L or 06R?

So the final information is inserted on CDU during your approach.

Bug2: If you insert this information during flight, you have a discontinuity, which is expected and very normal to happen. When you copy the next waypoint to scratchpad and then to discontinuity boxes, all your approach disappears, you miss your T/D and FL is set to 310 to the remaining waypoints.

For this flight I pre-set all information on CDU. Selected RWY06L to land at PANC and inserted a few waypoints to make a smooth wind leg and base leg. So I added FROZN, SUPOY and WEWWO waypoints.

I also checked airport charts and adjusted altitude at CI07L to be sure that I'll be at 1600' and catch the glide.

I have also made some adjustments on speed, to make a smooth turn and avoid overshooting the waypoints at the final.

If you don't use VNAV for your descent, I suggest you to try it. That maybe the difference. It also seems you are still learning all the benefits of CDU. That's great. I hope you can fully experience it.

Departure and cruise were fine. At departure, the aircraft followed SID route quite well.

Before descent, I set altitude to 1600' on MCP. At T/D aircraft began it descent as expected. Speedbug at 300 knots. Throttle on idle. N1 displaying about 30% confirming idle.

At 10000' speedbug automatically decreased to 250 knots. CDU displayed 'drag required' message. Speedbrakes at full. The aircraft did not reduced speed until leveled.

Bug3: Speedbrakes seem to be uneffective.

Although VNAV was still activated, the aircraft descended to 1600' not reacting to CDU altitude restrictions at the waypoints.

Bug4: VNAV seems to be uneffective at descent.

At TAGER I set 170 knots on CDU and all the other waypoints assumed correctly this speed. When over HEYEB speedbug increased to 300 knots and also aircraft speed. One or two miles after the waypoint, the speedbug decreased to 170 knots. This also happened when over ANC.

Bug5: Speedbug/throttle strange behaviour

The aircraft followed the route correctly. LNAV works perfect.

Localizer and ILS were correctly captured.

Landing perfect, autobrakes and speedbrakes worked fine.

I apologize for such this long post but I think it is needed, and again with due respect to your opinion, I disagree this aircraft works fine.

I'll wait for some news from dev's and I really hope they can fix the problems many of us are reporting on this forum.

Regards

Schmid.

(oh, please, 'Mr.' is not needed and sounds a little bit of sarcasm. Wink)

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #83 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Sorry if you took anything as sarcasm. I consider it less than polite to address strangers by their last name only. I was actually trying to be nice, because I certainly have no reason to treat you rudely.

Actually, I did use VNAV tonight. For beginners, though, when used with FS ATC or even a better add-on product, I think it can be confusing and it is better to learn how to use the other more hands-on descent methods. Following published procedures and canned ATC is kind of an either-or thing for me. I find it frustrating to try to mix them.

Let's take a look at your bug list.

Bug 1: destination airport and last waypoint disappear on LEGS page. I haven't noticed this with the flightplans I have been using, which come from the collection I have noted before. I'll watch for this in the future. As I usually like / need to tweak once loaded anyway I haven't been particularly looking for this one. I like the way FS flightplans are implemented and find it easier than some I have used in the past. If this were the case every time I imported an FS flight plan, it probably still wouldn't bother me much, since I expect to mess around with the FMC.

I may be missing a lot of bugs in the FMC simply because I have not operated one in real life and don't know any better. Perhaps I am unconsciously working around issues that a real pilot would catch in a heartbeat. There is also such a thing as confirmation bias, and that works both ways.

I would be concerned if my saved company routes were screwy, though. Those are what I consider to be the "gold standard" for my loadable routes, and I appreciate how straighforward and trouble-free plan-handling in general is with this product.

Bug 2: I have either accepted vectors or gone with the planned runway. Since I don't fly VATSIM, I tend to work around canned ATC (Radar Contact) in a way that is enjoyable for me. Given the limitations of even good canned ATC, and considering absorbing the workload of two crew members, these concessions don't bother me. After I get more comfortable with this airplane, I may see what happens when I change runways.

Bug 3: I don't have speed management issues. I have no idea how effective speed brakes are in real life. In some add-ons it is like hitting a wall. You can definitely hear them flying commerical. The effect is more subtle here. Could they have a little more bite? Maybe. All I know is that I was worried I would bust 250 at 10,000 and she dropped speed surprisingly quickly to avoid that.

Bug 4: VNAV met my altitude markers between TD and IAF. If you mean you have an altitude restriction at SEXXY do not descend past 4000 feet and VNAV ignores that, I don't know. I'll have to check that.

Bug 5: I have not seen speed excursions. Really don't know what else to say about that, except I'll look for them.

I did notice one thing. I had a hold set for a speed of 200 kts, and the airplane did not slow down. Maybe this is the same thing. I just set the speed in the window and hit the speed button. I think it is amazing that I can easily make holds and watch the airplane go around the racetrack on its own. I don't really know how real pilots do that. My method works for me. I have never flown anything bigger than a Cessna 172, and I don't think holding patterns was something we covered in ground school Smiley

Perhaps we have different expectations and play with it differently. I will say that the more I learn, the better performance I get, such as what I learned with autolanding. For the way I fly, which is realistic enough to keep me busy planning flights and executing them care, I'm happy. Maybe how I sim would be ridiculous to you, that's okay. If you represent a sector of the community for which these bugs are serious problems, then you have every right to address them in the forum.

If opinion came to rest on these bugs, then I would say opinion has come a long way from "it's unflyable," and "can't autoland," and "8 fps" and "VNAV goes from 500 to 2500 vs" and all the other complaints that seem to have gained currency. And I'm sure all of them are true for particular systems, usage, whatever.

I paid 42 bucks for this. I have 20 logged hours flying this so far, so I'm already paying about two bucks an hour for for my enjoyment, and that isn't counting all the collateral non-flying stuff.

In the end, I'm sure we both want people who have this product to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. You probably have a more sensitive bug detector than I do. I hope you can find a way to make this product meet your expectations.

Tim

P.S. We both have kick-ass sig banners, so that's cool.

IP Logged

jim jones

Reply #84 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Tim and Schmid

I am enjoying the friendly exchange of ideas between you and the interesting points of view about how to fly the FMC.

I'm neither a real pilot or an experienced FMC simmer, just an old (74 years) flight enthusiast trying to expand my knowledge of the FMC. My capacity to learn is now somewhat diminished so with what years still remain in my life I need to learn enough to have fun quickly. With your tips that fun has come easier. Thank you. I'm perfectly happy to fly the entire plan in auto mode and not interface with ATC. When the FMC works, it is great fun to experience the moves the plane makes and watch the adjustments of the controls, speed bugs, and the display of the map and plan as the flight progresses.

Tim and Schmid's recent posts have elevated the good information level of this thread. Wish CS had better English skills and the time such that they could contribute more to this thread. Between the complexity of the FMC in general, the unique features of the CS FMC, real world use of the FMC and total automated use of the FMC leaves a lot of room for different operation of the FMC. Knowing how others view the FMC operation is instructive. I will soon settle on a very limited knowledge base in the use of the FMC and be happy with it.

Reading the manuals is tough for me. I've not yet been entirely through the FMC manual since I realize I still don't understand how to use the information I've read, and my eyes begin to glaze over trying to continue reading. The most instructive way for me to learn is to grasp enough of the information and try it in the plane. What I've considered quirks in the CS FMc may be the way the real ones work, yet I'm still skeptical about some features. Only a real pilot of a 757 or the FMC designer could probably give us the true answers.

Tim, I've tried to locate your CS757 review at AVSIM. Can you now provide the link? Thanks.

Jim

IP Logged

FSXHD

Reply #85 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I appreciate all of your guys help.  I am sure I will have more questions as I learn.  So here is one:  Is there a way to find the route of a flight that flies outside of the United States? ie: Heathrow-Madrid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #86 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind comments, Jim.  I think the discussion at this point has come down to expectations and how people use the airplane.  I used to paint miniatures.  I am fascinated by the art of recreating a world in miniature, so visuals are very important to me.  If there turn out to be a few buglets I have to work around, I'm happy to do that.

If you really want to have some fun, create a hold somewhere before your final fix.  It is so cool to watch how the airplane works it.  (Slow down to 200 kts, using speed window / button if necessary.  No sense wasting more fuel than you have to, and you get tighter turns.)

CS is out of office until Thursday, so maybe they'll chime in when they get back.  Or maybe they'll make popcorn and listen to us talk Smiley

As for the rewiew... I have something much more detailed and interesting in the works.  So I consider my off-the-cuff reader review to be less than the best I could do.  If you can wait a bit, I would appreciate it. (Otherwise email me.)

Have a nice day!

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #87 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
FSXHD wrote on Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:38pm:
I appreciate all of your guys help. I am sure I will have more questions as I learn. So here is one: Is there a way to find the route of a flight that flies outside of the United States? ie: Heathrow-Madrid

Sure.  You can always let FS create your flight plan and go from there.  Or you can try http://www.simroutes.com, although good luck getting a loadable FSX plan.  Still, you can get the route written with airways, and copy it down so you could program it directly onto your RTE page.  I get mine from my virtual airline, or the trip package I've mentioned before.  It has lots of foreign routes, and since there are 100 of 'em it will keep you busy for awhile!

You can find real world flights all over the place e.g.  www.amadeus.net but then you still have to make or obtain your actual flight plan.  I like to fly real flights, though.

IP Logged

jim jones

Reply #88 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Tim, Ill wait for your expanded review. Curious about what it contains.

OK, I'll look into the circling HOLD. As you say, it could be an enjoyable to experience. Smiley

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #89 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Hih, Jim,

It is actually pretty easy. Hit the HOLD button and a little fill-in-the-boxes line appears. Pick a waypoint with your LSK and it should fill in the hold. Then you have to set it up. Your FMC will want to know if it is a right-handed turn or a left, the initial direction, and how long it is, measured in either minutes or nautical miles.

For example, on my SINCA FIVE arrival at KATL, there are all sorts of holds. (Atlanta has the world's no. 1 busiest airport, so it needs them.) I looked at RIPPI and see it is a left hand turn with 314 degrees inbound, and 15 nautical miles. (That's a pretty big hold.) You just plug that in: "314/L" and "15" in the miles option below time (it mght default to 1.5 minutes, not sure if I remember for certain.) It will get put into your LEGS page.

You should see the racetrack on your lateral navigation display.

Your airplane will automagically execute the hold. Be sure to switch from VNAV to SPEED and dial down to 200 kts. to keep your turns tight and save fuel. (That's the speed I use; there might be a different realistic standard speed.) When you get bored (or start to get low fuel) just select the next waypoint as you're heading toward it and you'll exit the hold.

Switch back to VNAV and it will resume control of your speed according to your original entered data. Holds are fun, and great opportunites for dramatic screenshots, because you can catch the right illumination and bank angle.

You can check out my screenshots here (choose slideshow option if you want). Feel free to leave comments on my home page for your favorites

http://cid-68da1e23ad1ea160.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Captain%20Sim%20757

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top