Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233288 times)
jeffg

FMC Problem
Reply #60 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I had a lot of problems last night with a flight from KSFO to KLAX.I used the PORTE3 dep with AVE as the transition than a SADDE6 arrival into LAX.I programmed the fmc and all was fine till I tried to put in the arrival at LAX as you have to cross SYMON at 12000 and everytime I put in the waypoint it would not accept it.The fmc would not even accept the runway assignment of 24L.The FMC would not put the waypoints in for anything after AVE.I have the new Navgraph data installed.Right before arriving at AVE was told to do a 360 due to LAXCTR was not taking the handoffs and the LNAV would not go into heading mode so a heading change could be done and I would disconnect the AP and the heading hold would not disconnect so I could change to a new heading.Any ideas on what is up?

JeffG

HP Pavilion Elite m9350f&&AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core&&6 gigs ram&&Nivida 9800GT &&Vista 64 Service Pack 2&&FSX with the Acceleration Pack

IP Logged

jim jones

FMC/CDU can I make manual speed/altitude changes?
Reply #61 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:31am
Print Post  
FMC Flight Plan Manual Changes 757-200 v4.3

Once I've completed a flight plan in the FMC/CDU and review the leg speeds/altitudes I've altered some of the speeds and altitudes manually in the CDU. Following those changes the EXEC button was pushed. During flight the manual changes were ignored and the intial computed values were followed. Does the CaptainSim FMC/CDU accept and use manual changes?

If so, I'd appreciate tips on what should be done.

IP Logged

Schmid

Re: FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Reply #62 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
JayG

I'm experiencing the same problem here. Just bought 4.3 release, expecting it would do well with Navigraph.

It seems there is a real big error as when you choose your STAR it happens the same problem you reported.

When you try to fill the discontinuity you miss all approach as also the T/D point.

We really need some help here from CS Support!

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #63 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 1:43am
Print Post  
One more information I found out.

I prepare my flightplan using FSC, save and import it with FSX Flight planner.

On CDU I fill Dep and Arr airports and go to request page to import my flightplan previously saved.

When I check the waypoints on CDU legs page, both last waypoint and destination airport are missing.

So I believe there is a bug in this importing procedure.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

jim jones

Reply #64 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
It is really a disappointment that a plane with so many good attributes fails to achieve real usefulness with its FMC/CDU.  My inexperience coupled with what I assume are real failures in the FMC/CDU leave little incentive to continue to use these features. I've spent too many hours learning and trying to use a faulty system. Hopefully CS will find a solution that will allow the FMC/CDU to create plans that work on all PC configurations and MS operating systems.

I have had one successful flight plan and several unsuccessful ones. The successful plan was at a cruising altitude below 10,000 ft and included a STAR. Legs included ascent, cruise levels and descent. VNAV and LNAV lights stayed on and descent altitudes and speeds were achieved.

Many plans produced legs without descending altitudes. Any plan at a cruising altitude over 10,000 ft, such as 15,000 would not fly higher than 10,000 ft, even though the original fsx plan and the legs in the FMC showed 15,000 ft levels. Perhaps the 10,000 ft level that intially appears in the altitude window limits what the altitude the FMC can control, but to this inexperienced person that seems wrong. If that window is manually set to 15,000 ft prior to flying the plan the plane will fly to the 15,000 ft level in the plan, but other lower altitudes in the plan are not followed. VNAV gets turned off and SPD turns on. But then not all the leg speeds are initiated and any lower plan altitudes are not followed even though a T/D point exists.

CS757 v4.2 with fsuipc v4.3 gave problems and now CS757 v4.3 with fsuipc v4.4 gives the problems described above. My system uses Vista 32 bit and has both sp1 and sp2 installed.

IP Logged

optisailrousa

Reply #65 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
More problems here tried to do a flight ten times and everytime the autopilot would not follow the route and the plane would stall.

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #66 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
One more:

While on cruise level, flying at .801M FL310, I was checking the flightplan.

Then I changed predicted speed at short final - it was set to a (high) 190 knots and I set it to 150 knots.

When I made it, all speeds at the waypoints changed from .801M to 298 knots. It did not affected my cruise speed as I'm still flying at .801M (306 knots) but CDU information is no more correct.

I was not able to change it back as also ENG OUT and LRC keys seem not to be simulated.

Does anybody else checked it?

Schmid

IP Logged

Hammer

Reply #67 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Am I to understand that the FMC does not work correctly for flight plan following and modding?

Check 6...&&Chris.&&&&Computer Specs:I6850 3.0 o/c to 3,4, 4 GB 800 speed OCZ Ram, ASUS PQ5 MOBO, XFX 9800 GTX+, Saitek x52 Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #68 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Hammer

I'd humbly classify myself as a reasonably experienced simmer. I have also the most famous/important add-ons, like 744, MD11, 763, 73x, E-Jets, Airbuses and so on, so using FMS, FMC, CDU or wathever they are called is not really a challenge for me.

So, answering to you, YES, I'm having some problems here with this aircraft, that I have not seen at the other Boeing add-ons, whose FMCs are similar.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

413x3

Reply #69 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 3:46am
Print Post  
I am trying to fly a simple flight plan and the airplane refuses to follow the route. it intercepts the course, but then starts doing hard banks left and right.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #70 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Well, let's see if the problem is reproducable.  I have flown four plans, the first four from World's 100 Busiest Airports.  Sao Paolo Brazil to Santa Cruz, Colubia, then to Bogota, then to Mexico City and from there to Houston.  Some have included some fairly complicated procedures, including holds, and conditional fixes, e.g. fly runway heading to 9200' then turn.

I have not had one problem with the FMC doing anything but exactly what is supposed to do.  In fact, it seems particularly convenient, functional and robust to me.  So all I'm saying is that in a variety of routes in two hemispheres, the FMC is a solid part of at least the version I got.

If you provide a complete route that you have been unable to fly successfully, I would be happy to try it out.

I am using the latest Navigraph data.

There are just too many weird problems being reported that don't make any sense.  Al Bradbury over at Avsim reported he was having problems until he did an uninstall and fresh reinstall of FSX.  I'm not advocating anything so drastic here, but I don't see how it can be a problem with the airplane if it works find for some people.

So if someone wants to shoot me a (preferably shorter) route, let me see what happens.

ADDITIONAL:  The FMC is pretty complicated.  It does a lot.  If you are creating routes in another program and importing to FSX, then importing that to your FMC... I notice that there are some routes that work with SIDs and STARs, and some that (realistically) sort of leave you hanging because they are going to vector you.  I also notice that you might have to work with a route, with a STAR, to get it the way you want it.

For example, I just planned KIAH to KMIA.  On the procedure chart and in the FMC both, the SID just starts several miles from the airport.  That means you are to expect them to tell you how to get there, I believe.  Other charts will actually show you turn here, pick up that radial, whatever, all the way from the runway, but this one doesn't and we must live with that.

And at the other end of the route, both the chart and the STAR in the FMC kind of dump me without a route to a particular runway.  Again, I'm expected to get vectors.  I think realistically, some airports are just that way.  I made a route myself that will take me right to the runway where I can pick up the localizer, based on the approach plate for 8R, but that isn't exactly realistic for this particular airport, I believe.  In other words, I created a made-up STAR to avoid messing with ATC (because this is FSX and I can!)

For my alternate route, everything is the same, expect it follows the real procedure, which dumps me and makes me follow ATC.  In both I've added altitude and speed restrictions, and multpile holds, just to see what happens.

I think sometimes you can do a route dump from FSX with not problem.  Other times you are going to run into challenges that aren't necessarily unrealistic.  When you are starting from another program to begin with, I don't know.  I'm just thinking out loud here, and will fly this route tomorrow, since I have to get up to go to work in about five hours.

But I've been thinking, Mr. Schmid, and if your engines are stuck at 300 kts like you report, you obviously have something FUBAR with your installation.  I wouldn't expect the FMC to work.

I am beginning to think that we are seeing trouble reports from people who have installation problems and/or operator error.  I have been studying this airplane intensely for several days (I have to) and I am still learning a lot.  This is a self-selected group and it is impossible to make a judgment on the product.  IF even one person is getting it to work right here, that tells me we can't just say the FMC doesn't work.

If the FMC turns out to be garbage, I'll be the first to say so.  However, I respectfully submit that we owe to ourselves to not be premature about this.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

757Fan

Reply #71 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I have entered crossing restricitons and speed restrictions to flight plan fixes in the Legs page, Executed them, and verified them only to have them change later on in flight.   Does not happen every time, but I believe if I make any other changes to the Legs page it wipes out all the speed/crossing restrictions that were entered previously.   Burned me once when I found the acraft not slowing down below FL100 and maintaining approx 300 kts while coupled to VNAV.  By the time I had corrected the issues, I was too high and hot for a stabalized approach and had to go around.   I am a little more cautious with it now and do not trust VNAV on descents anymore because even with it being monitored closely I have found the VNAV to porpoise on descent constantly adjusting descent rate from 500 fpm to 2500 fpm and back and forth again.   The airplane is flyable after 4.3, but is just barely flyable. Until VNAV is fixed, it has to descended via the other modes (Flight Level Change or Vertical Speed).

IP Logged

FSXHD

Reply #72 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I have a problem with the FMC and flight plans.  I will explain the process that I use and tell me if anything I do is wrong.  The problem is the departure (SID).  I take off and fly the SID fine, but in the FMC, it says ROUTE DISCOUNTINUTY, even though from the finishing point of the SID I have a waypoint that is Direct from the finishing point of the SID to the next waypoint.  So here is what I do: 1) I go to this site (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/) and I use the route it provides to me.  2) I manually enter the route into the FMC. (first loading the whole route and then SID and STAR).  3) I fly the SID, but the FMC says route discontinuity though I programed a direct route from the ending point of the SID to the next waypoint (it is DIRECT).  ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!  Thanks!

IP Logged

jim jones

Reply #73 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Please consider the following information, from a relatively new user of the CS757-200 FMC/CDU, with some measure of caution.  My problems may have derived from faulty FMC software, my PC operating system, FSX configuration or other unknown situations.

In earlier posts on this thread I expressed my wanting to know more about changing flight plans after the FMC created one and also my displeasure with the FMC in general.

I have done some further testing and have discovered some interesting points which have furthered my understanding of the CS FMC and allowed the creation of more successful plans.

1) Before a flight set the altitude in the altitude window greater than the maximum altitude in the flight plan, else the VNAV part of the plan will cease to be controlled by the FMC resulting with the VNAV light going off and the SPD light coming on. If the window altitude is set lower than the cruise value, the flight altitude will be restricted to the window altitude. If the window altitude is the same as the cruise altitude the plan just ceases to follow the plan at some yet undertermined point in the plan. It happened to me near the T/D point.  Very strange.

2) A plan from KSDF to KIND was created for a cruise alt of 15,000 ft. The resulting CS FMC plan  resulted in every leg having a speed of 316 knots and 15,000 ft including the VECTORS leg at the end of the flight. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the plan would have been created automatically with a descent of lower speeds and altitudes for the ending legs.

3) I manually entered into the VECTORS leg a speed of 160 and altitude of 3000. The EXEC light came on indicating it needed to be pressed. After pressing the EXEC light the plan was recalculated showing descending altitudes and lower speeds in the later legs. The changed values appear BOLD. This resulted in what I considered a successful plan. Smiley

4) Changed values of altitude and speed in the CDU seems to disable automatic following of the plan at the leg the changes were made and requires manual flight control. I would certainly like to know how to re-enable the flight plan to automatic.

I would be interested in knowing if any of these conclusions are just unique to my situation or experienced by others.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #74 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Any time I have seen a route discontinuity (they're not uncommon when you're programming your FMC) that means there is an actual disconnect somewhere.  You know about setting the view to PLAN and stepping through your flight plan on the LEGS page?  Once you find the disco, click on the waypoint below it to copy it into the scratchpad, then click on the disco to close it up.

It helps to know what is going on behind the scenes when you are programming your FMC.  For instance, when you say you are putting in a route, are you using the "via-to" method and inputing airways on the route page, or doing them all direct on the route page, or adding them on the legs page directly?

Keep in mind that outside routes may be produced with different AIRACs.  Have you downloaded and installed the latest from Navigraph?  If you want up-to-date navdata and procedures, many manufacturers require this; Navigraph charges a small fee for this service (one of several they offer).

It is your responsibility as pilot to make sure your route makes sense and there are no problems.  Are you downloading your airport diagrams for taxiing, your SIDs and your STARs and runway approaches and comparing them to your FMC data?

I sometimes have to tinker with routes until I am satisfied with them.  Usually.  There is a learning curve to this.  People think the 757 Captain is just a pretty bit of fluff.  Wrong.  The FMC is complicated.

Jim's approach is a good one.  He's working with the system, trying to figure things out.  That's what it takes.

I'll just tell you quickly (I need to get back to work) how I do it.

I program the FMC on the route page using airways, like UM221 on the left "via" side to wherever I am getting off that airway, which will be a fix, like SEXXY.  All the waypoints along that route are entered automatically, and I can see them on the LEG page.  When I know what runway I'm taking off from, I'll put in the SID (finding the right one for my route by looking on SIDs I get from AirNav or someplace).  There may be some duplication, so I go through and delete and mess with until it all looks right to me.  Sometimes it is all perfect right from the start; sometimes I have to tinker.

If you have a good idea what runway you are going to land on, put that in, too, and the STAR.  Again, I go through the same process as for the SID.  As I mentioned earlier, sometimes they will leave you hanging for ATC, sometimes they will roll out the red carpet for you right to the runway threshhold.

Ideally, you should have your STAR showing on your PLN display in front of you, with your runway and missed approach already put in.  The MAP will usually look like a racetrack somewhere off the to side of the airport.

Make sure your altitude constraints match up with your published documents, and don't consider yourself finished until you know your route is correct, have fixed any discos, etc. etc.

Now, let's say your cruise is 30,000 feet, Jim.  You are going to get something less than that from ATC when you get clearance, say 6000 feet.  That's what you set your altitude to.  VNAV will take you up that far and hold, switching to SPEED.  When you are cleared to go higher, dial it in and hit VNAV.  Now you ascend to that altitude according to your original profile.  Keep doing this until you are cleared to your final cruising altitude.

Coming down, I usually don't use VNAV with ATC.  I like Flight Level change instead.  Usually, all bets are off anyway, as ATC is going to vector you around.  HOWEVER, if you want to do without ATC, dial in a low altitude before you reach your Top of Descent.  VNAV will automagically head down on schedule and follow your plan / vertical profile.

I think some of the problems are that people are (understandably) learning about this airplane.  Yeah, I've had (I'll go ahead and say "other") Airbusses, 737, Ejets, MD-11, Queen of the Skies, yadda, yadda, yadda  But while I consider myself ahead of the game on learning this one, this is the firsts FMC that has inspired me to really learn how to use the darn thing.

EDIT: ha, I can write darn and it looks like darn.  Anyway, here's another tip.

To learn this bird, just forget ATC and turn off traffic.  Learn how the FMC controls your flight using maximum automation.  I always make that call before I do anything: ATC or not?  I have Radar Contact, which is much, much better and will leave you alone to do your published procedures, but even so, if I want to sit back and watch Robo-Plane work, I will not use ATC.  Period.  But keep in mind, this is not an Airbus.  Pilots are not optional!

On the other hand, if I want to fly "realistically," there is no way I am having VNAV get within ten feet of my descent.  I am going to be responding to controllers who don't give a crap about what I've programmed into my FMC.  DO NOT USE VNAV FOR DESCENT WITH ATC.  In the final stage I'm using V/S and manually setting speeds.  Read your manuals, friends.

I honestly believe that if you if follow my advice here, you'll get more out of your airplane, unless your install is FUBAR, which can happen, too.  But believe me.  The FMC works.  I has yet to fail me when I have done things right on four flights in two hemispheres.

ONE MORE darn THING:  Grin

Once you get your route the way you like it, be sure to save it as a company route.  That way you don't have to mess with it next time.  One of the really nice features of this airplane is that y ou have so many options.  Also, don't forget you can program your Route 2. I have actuallyl started doing that, too.

Again, if you want pre-made routes I know work, download that 100 World's busiest.  Try those out, and I bet you'll see how well this thing works.

Written in haste and rambling, sorry.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top