Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233346 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Re: FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Reply #105 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
If anyone can put me in touch with Carsten Rau, I would consider it a favor.  My email is available in my profile here.  I can't via the IVAO forum because I'm not a member.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #106 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Schmid,

I have been really pleased with the FMC of the new version as before I could not finish a flight in 6 months due to the CTDs.  That seems to be history now.

I have found no problem with setting up STARS, ILS approaches, and SIDS when at the departure airport.  However, the FMC does some odd things when you want to change the runway or approach near the end of the flight.  You have to pay very careful attention as to what waypoints it puts in and make sure that the route is correct, waypoint by waypoint.  Sometimes the runway is added to the end of the route, sometimes Vectors is added in the middle, sometimes waypoints are doubled up, sometimes the current route gets erased and replaced with the ILS approach, and the altitudes need to be checked too, but it is all fixable very quickly for someone with your knowledge of the FMC.  I also am pretty knowledgeble and got caught up by this on an approach when trying to change from Rwy 27 to 18C into EHAM last night.  It took me like 3-4 tries to get it right and even then I missed one odd waypoint that I didn't catch until the last minute.  It definitely is not what I am used to after flying other aircraft, but, well, that is life, time to get used to something else Grin

However, I have to say that other than a few quirky things, the FMC seems to work pretty well.  I wish a few more things were modeled, like ALTN,  MENU, calculation of distance to TOD, for example, but I am happy with it.  The FMC not calculating CG and giving the required takeoff trim is inexcusable though, really.  I have figured this out by now after having taken off a few times with trim values in excess of 6 when it really needs to be 2-3 Grin  We are not used to CG values of 40% but...well..now I am.

Happy flying to you.

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #107 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Bill.

Thank you for your kind reply.

I'm making as many flight with this bird as I can and trying to figure out this FMC problem.

I am sure there is a problem with STARS and, to get us a little bit more crazy, it doesn't happen in all airports!

I have just landed at MPTO, on ILS approach to RWY03R. It worked perfectly!

But at a few other airports (KDFW for example) I had serious problems.

So I don't know if it is a Navigraph problem (I'm running 0906 cycle) or on FMC itself. I'd like CS support to make an offical statement so I have addressed a new ticket on customer support.

About distance to T/D, please check PROG screen. It gives you the distance, the same way it gives you the distance to T/C. Of course it will only work when you complete setting your arrival.

Nice landings

Schmid

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #108 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I don't use Navigraph updates, partly for the reason that you talking about.  So can't help you with that one.

By the way, I am talking aobut the normal distance to TOD seen on the VNAV cruise page, and distance to first altitude restriction seen on VNAV descent page.  I always have a full route input even if I have to change it later.  I will be coming up to a descent here in a few hours.  I am flying todays Saturday Scramble into the NY area, KPHL to be exact for EHAM, should have full ATC.  I will be able to give it a full shake out and hope I am not the one shaken out. Grin

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #109 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Moncton CTR is there....  Grin Maybe I'll return to VATSIM soon.

I see what you mean about T/D. I'll check on this leg I'm doing from MPTO to SEGU and report you back.

Cheers

Schmid
(Vatsim 1027352)

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #110 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Schmid, maybe you could ping Carsten Rau for me, please.  I am seeking permission to link to his 757 checklist.  If that's okay, fine, because he did a fantastic job.  If not, that's cool, too.

I haven't had a chance to try out the Siberian Bomber Base to PANC yet  Smiley  Or anything else.  Still messing around on the ground.

Has anyone tried to create their own STARs using the material at the back of the FMS manual?

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #111 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Bill.

Quote:
By the way, I am talking aobut the normal distance to TOD seen on the VNAV cruise page, and distance to first altitude restriction seen on VNAV descent page.  I always have a full route input even if I have to change it later

The same problem here for this leg. At this time T/D distance did not show up.  Sad

This FMC is driving me crazy....  Shocked

Cheers

Schmid

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #112 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Bill.

Now SEGU to SPZO. Page 1/2 of PROG.

All there: DTG, ETA, FUEL and distance to T/D.

Schmid

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #113 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Tim.

Quote:
Schmid, maybe you could ping Carsten Rau for me, please.  I am seeking permission to link to his 757 checklist.  If that's okay, fine, because he did a fantastic job.  If not, that's cool, too.

Do you mean this? http://www.carstenrau.de/flightsim.html

I have never contacted him direcly but when I find him online I will be pleased to. Maybe you can try contact him directly also.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #114 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Yes.  If I could have found an email address I would have.  He is on the IVAO forum, but I can't use that.  If it is easy, thanks, if not, no big deal.  He has a great checklist for the 757.

IP Logged

Ant1981

Direct to next waypoint
Reply #115 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I can make so sense of the manual.

I wish to fly direct to a different way point but I cannot work out how. I did this last night, but tonight, no idea  Undecided

Looks like I've got a 5 hour flight of manually setting the heading. I want to fly to another waypoint as the flight plan took me away from the airport then back over it, which would have me turn around. As I took off from the opposite heading, I just continued ahead with a view that I could fly direct to.

C-130&&757-200 Pro Pack - Uninstalled Smiley

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Re: Direct to next waypoint
Reply #116 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Just type in the waypoint name to the scratchpad and enter it into the first line of the Legs page and activate (execute) it.  If you don't know what that means, you most certainly need to read and understand the manual or get the info by some other means such as by a tutorial if you don't like reading manuals.

The manual does describe how to do direct to wayponts.

IP Logged

Ant1981

Reply #117 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I know perfectly well what it means.

I think the problem is the NAV database. I've been trying to go direct but have been getting the not in database message.

So, from the manual I figured out how to 'move' waypoints, without getting the not in database message.

It does seem odd what with many aircraft, an FS plan can be loaded, but try and do it manually and you'll soon discover that alot of it isn't even in the nav database.

C-130&&757-200 Pro Pack - Uninstalled Smiley

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #118 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Oh, sorry, you did say that you can't make any sense of the manual so I wasn't sure what that meant really as going direct to a waypoint is just about the easiest thing you can do with the FMC. 

You are right, if the waypoint isn't in the database then you can't really go to it by name. Grin  If you know what the lat/lon is for it you can add it in this way.  This is what I do if a waypoint on a STAR, for example, is not in the database.  I am not familiar with that "Move" feature.  I always manually enter in all my flight plans so have not imported any in nor run up against this problem really.

I have the not in database problem as I don't update my databases with Navigraph every once in a while but it is not a huge problem as there are a huge number of waypoints in the database. The default database that came with Ver 4.3 seems fairly current to me.  I have to do a lot less of this adding in waypoints by Lat/Lon than I do with other aircraft.

Well...good luck.

IP Logged

KristianN

FMC is not reading the star correct
Reply #119 - May 22nd, 2009 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Hi CaptainSim

The FMC is not reading the BRON1R arrival at LTAI correct. Instead of the circle south, it takes the aircraft 55nm north.
I checked this with Navigraph and the navdata files are correct. It's the FMC that is reading it wrong.

I don't know if this is the only star that gives a problem. Therefore I wanted you to know so the error can be fixed in the future.

Kindest,
Kristian Smiley

Kristian Nřrregaard&&JAR ATPL(A)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top