Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Unable to use FS9 ATC (Read 3866 times)
cbrookhart

Unable to use FS9 ATC
Apr 3rd, 2008 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I am working with a tutorial from the fs station site, which involves doing a flight from KLRF to KDYS. The tutorial indicates that I should start out with the FS9 default aircraft Cessna 172, load the flight plan and shut down everything in order to start cold and dark. I'm then supposed to select the C130 aircraft and go through the startup process.

I get all the way through engine startup and turning on the radios. When the radio is turned on, it's tuned to ground control at KLRF. The FS9 ATC prompts me to press 1 to request IFR clearance. I press 1, but nothing happens. Everything works as it should if I use the Cessna, but the problem starts when I select the C130 aircraft. How can this issue be fixed?

IP Logged

so666

Re: Unable to use FS9 ATC
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
The problem is you,and not the aircraft.
If you start from cold and dark,once the engines are runnig,you have to get the electrics online,before the radios will respond to ATC,read the manual,and get to know the aircraft and its systems,once mastered,you will find the aircraft is superb,and only has a few minor faults,but be warned,do not let her stall,as you will find it next to imposible to recover from it.
regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

cbrookhart

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I AM following the manual, so I don't see what it is that I am not doing correctly. Here is what I have done as far as startup:

Brake select switch to emergency, anti-skid off, temp datum controls to auto, condition levers/throttles set to ground stop and ground auto. I starting up using ground power so I select the captain sim menu and select ground power. I see the green banner indicating ground power is connected. I turn on the external AC and DC power followed by turning the radio on. The next several steps I follow are turning on the switches on the GTC panel. I set the inverters to match the yellow stripe on the panel. After following a couple more steps, the engines are ready to be turned on. AFter turning on all four engines, I switch to the external view and verify that all four engines are running. Once engines are running, I turn off the GTC and the external ac power followed by turning off the external ac power.

The next step in the manual I am following indicates I can tune to the clearance delivery and request an IFR flight. THIS DOES NOT WORK. The radio is already tuned to the right frequency, but the default ATC does NOT respond to any key pressed on the keyboard.

I'm going step by step following a manual which provides detailed instructions on startup. So, with all the engines started and ground power disconnected and external power turned off, what could I possibly be missing?

IP Logged

so666

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
cbrookhart.
After you start the engine,you have to reset the engine gen switch,for that engine,repeat for all four engines.
This is what i think you are failing to do.
The Gen switches look as if they are on,but without reseting them,they are off line,so you are trying to use the radios from batt,which on a real aircraft,the pilots radio should work,but in the FS9 c-130 they will not work.
Regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

cbrookhart

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Alan,

The guide that I am following is the one available at fs station. I'll give this another try, but I don't think I am forgetting anything. The low speed ground buttons are pressed down, I turn on the switch for the engine bleed air, move the throttle lever for engine 3 up, and press the starter button for engine 3. I then move the engine generator switch from reset to on.

I've verified that the ATC works when I start with a default aircraft and turn it off. I've even verified that the ATC works if I go through the flight planner to select the c-130, select a starting and destination point, and lastly a parking space. The thing is, going about this way, the engines are on and running, but none of the switches are set in the proper place.

Edit:
I just tried again after posting this, and it STILL does not work. I just don't get why this is not working. Essentially, all I can do is turn the engines on and get the radio tuned to ground control at the starting airport and that's it! Either there is something that I am still not doing right or the manual that I am using is missing a few steps. What other C130 startup manuals are there?

IP Logged

so666

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
cbrookhart.
If you have the captsim c-130,direct from this site via a download,you will have the manuals.
Select start\all programes\captainsim\legendary c-130\flight manual.
The other thing to check is the overhead panel,by the gen switches,if the red gen light is on after the engines are started,then the gens are off line.
I set my c-130 up in the cold dark condition,and got the radios to work of batt for a short period,then they went dead.
I got the ground cart conected,started the gtc,got air to the engines,and once i fired up number 1 eng ,put gen1 on line,and the radios started to work.
hope this helps you.
regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

yoni63

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
so666 wrote on Apr 5th, 2008 at 12:48pm:
The problem is you,and not the aircraft.
If you start from cold and dark,once the engines are runnig,you have to get the electrics online,before the radios will respond to ATC,read the manual,and get to know the aircraft and its systems,once mastered,you will find the aircraft is superb,and only has a few minor faults,but be warned,do not let her stall,as you will find it next to imposible to recover from it.
regards alan. Cool

Takes right at 2500 to 3000 feet to recover from a stall.  The 130 is not too forgiving on that stuff though it does give you quite a good warning prior, you don't want to push her at all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top