Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What's Right So Far & Why I Like It (Read 834 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

What's Right So Far & Why I Like It
Jun 8th, 2021 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
1. Lighting. Yeah, there are a couple of "glaring" problems, but compared to the 757 III the cockpit lighting can be dialed up or down in a way that's welcome to see.

2. Automated Flight. By and large, works as advertised. It is not at the fire-and-forget level, but that's fine with me in a pre-release model. Once in a while it seems to lose focus and wander, and at calculated TDs I've seen some overspeed on descent, but I have no idea how perfect RW systems were when the -300 was introduced. Anyway, coming from flying mainly the L1011, I'm used to keeping an eye on things and using all modes to stay where I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be there. Have had no problems with autoland. I think automation needs some work, but credit where credit is due.

3. The scroll wheel controlled range on the EHSI. Thoughtful, since the controls are awkward to use with the mouse while keeping the screen in view. A very clean solution.

4. More knowledgeable folks can comment on the flight model accuracy, etc. but I like hand-flying it. Makes me appreciate my modest CH Yoke investment.

5. Options. Thanks for adding the engine display option. Sometimes I feel like looking at as many real needles as I can.

6. Easter Egg. Small thing, but gave me a chuckle. (Better than the infamous 767 Freighter.) I've always liked the attitude displayed in CS products. I remember when movable bugs was a much-asked for (complained about?) thing. And the speed tape. Thinking back to the 727 (which is an all-time favorite) I'm realizing how much CS has improved on some details.

These are just a few things I noticed after going back to the 757 for a couple of flights--first time in a long while--and thinking, "huh, I can do this on the 737 but not on this?." The 737-300 is now my go-to airplane (Accu-Feel adds some fun to it,  too). I'm not minimizing any of the reported issues or saying it's ready for prime time, but thought mentioning a few improvements I've noticed wouldn't be out of line. Keep working on it! This could be the best CS airplane yet.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Abcdeflijus

Re: What's Right So Far & Why I Like It
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
That's a good an honest review!

I've always wanted to fly 737-300 and yesterday I've got it too.
Had already CS 737-200 in my fleet and I just loved it! So far younger brother has not disappointed me. Since I was familiar with most of the systems, I gave it straight away short test flight and it was successful. Most of the time for other aircrafts I need to spend some time learning them and practicing some procedures. But this one gave me joy out of the box! Maybe I was just excited too much about new toy and did not see too many bugs, but definitely there are some as we can see in the forum. Hopefully they will be regularly removed and this plane will become fully trusted work horse for many of us.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top